[Lights, Camera, Action]

Home    Forums    Tutorials    Search    Books    Links 

Windows Movie Maker tips, tutorials, forums and more...

Windows Movie Maker Home   Search   Login   Register   Member List  
Windows Movie Maker  > Windows Vista  > Timeline won't play    
Previous Thread :: Next Thread 
 Author Thread: Timeline won't play
Jubba is not online. Last active: 4/28/2007 1:33:04 PM Jubba
Total Posts: 4

Timeline won't play
Posted: 09 Apr 2007 11:54 AM
It seems lots of people are having this problem but I've not been able to come across a solution.

I recently purchased a new laptop (intel core 2 due processor, 2gb of ram... will pretty much do anything) with Windows Vista.

The other day I made a movie in movie maker and saved the project. It played fine then but now when I try to open it the timeline doesn't play. I had even loaded it up to show someone about an hour before it stopped working with no problems. I just opened it one time and all of a sudden it wouldn't play the timeline and hasn't done so since.

I've not changed any of the video or audio setting on my computer in this time and all the files used in the project are .wmv.

I've tried disabling and uninstalling all of my extra codecs (not that it should really be a problem as it all worked find beforehand).

I just can't see any reason for it to suddenly stop working, other than a maaaajor glitch in the program.

Anyone got any ideas?
considerate_guy is not online. Last active: 9/17/2014 1:11:28 PM considerate_guy
movies.blainesville.com
Top 25 Poster
Forum Moderator
Total Posts: 24007

Re: Timeline won't play
Posted: 09 Apr 2007 11:57 AM
Did you try a reboot?

Blaine
Movie Maker (Custom Titles, Effects. etc.)Cool
WMM 6.0 on Windows 7 or 8
YouTube videos

Posted: 09 Apr 2007 12:48 PM
Yeah, didn't change anything. :(
yellowgumdrops is not online. Last active: 4/14/2007 7:21:07 AM yellowgumdrops
Total Posts: 1

Posted: 14 Apr 2007 07:19 AM
I keep having this problem.

What I normally do is fiddle around with the images/videos on the timeline until they show up on the small screen, and then the timeline plays.

But yesterday it did this and i have been moving things around ever since, but it still won't show up on the screen. I've rebooted 3 times and have reopened the project countless times.

I need a solution too... And fast...

=S
LeviG is not online. Last active: 4/16/2007 10:10:49 PM LeviG
Total Posts: 2

Posted: 14 Apr 2007 05:34 PM
Yes, this is a big problem and Microsoft doesn't address it. No one here seems to have a solution either. Very frustrating.

Does your black out start after adding a transition?

Posted: 15 Apr 2007 12:46 PM
I think so, yes.

I've had to start using version 2.6, which has bugs of it's own but luckily none that make it impossible to do anything.

Microsoft really need to fix this.
considerate_guy is not online. Last active: 9/17/2014 1:11:28 PM considerate_guy
movies.blainesville.com
Top 25 Poster
Forum Moderator

Posted: 15 Apr 2007 12:54 PM
Are you using any "non-standard" codecs like Divx, Xvid, MPEG-4, etc.? These often cause problems with WMM. Even if you sort it out by loading the appropriate DirectShow filter, they can cause black video, messed up timeline, out of synch audio, etc.

The best course of action in Vista (as in XP) is to convert files to WMM "friendly" formats (standard .avi codecs, or WMV).

Blaine
YouTube videos

Posted: 23 Apr 2007 11:45 AM
"all the files used in the project are .wmv"
Night Hawk is not online. Last active: 5/19/2007 12:10:19 PM Night Hawk

Posted: 19 May 2007 12:08 PM
Yeah, this problem is something which seems to be occuring frequently in the new vista opperating system.
Ive looked into it but as said above microsoft are saying very little on the matter, which is no surprise. What i have found out is the problem seems to occur when you are in the movie editor and the vista opperating system looks for updates. This then causes the unusual affect of preventing the time line from being viewed. There may be other reasons for the problem, but this is what i have found out. Equally, as a temporary solution as somebody else stated, if you clip a section of the storyboard you should be able to unlock the timeline.

Therefore, in conclusion the matter is still unconclusive, but as a rule of thumb, try playing with the clip sizes and if you want to try and prevent it from occuring all togther, disable the number one cause of problems, AUTOMATIC UPDATES.

Hope this helps a little, i will continue to look into the matter, and these ideas above are only suggestions which have worked for me.

Regards
emmi is not online. Last active: 6/26/2007 12:46:28 PM emmi

Posted: 26 Jun 2007 12:24 PM
i was trying to do exactly as night hawk say, disable my automatic updates and try clipping some of my story board, but i still have the same problem...i cannot preview my storyboard. i can look at the imported clips just fine but i cannot preview my project. The weird thing is it's worked before, at one point i could preview it just fine...but then it stopped working. Sometimes it works again, but most of the time it doesn't. Anything new on this matter?
agong029 is not online. Last active: 7/3/2007 10:24:16 AM agong029

Posted: 27 Jun 2007 10:13 AM
Found this forum when WMM gave me this same issue. I've been working on a project for about 2 weeks and need to have it done in 4 days, but now I can't preview my timeline. The formats are all .wmv, in fact, ive previewed them all in the past 2 weeks and they were fine. But yes, after windows did an automatic update last night, I can no longer preview my timeline. All i get is a blank screen and no response.

I've cut the video into shorter projects, got rid of transitions, etc. Disabled automatic updates, tried all the methods listed on this board.

HELP!

Posted: 27 Jun 2007 10:28 AM
Quick update on the situation:

I just tinkered, and found that when start a new project, i can add clips to the timeline and the preview works! glimmer of hope, but when i open an existing project, no preview.

try playing with it that way and maybe we can find some solution? this does give me some hope.

Posted: 27 Jun 2007 10:47 AM
Ok, sorry for the frequent posts, but I've made some progress.

after noticing that making a new project "fixes" the problem of having no preview from the timeline, i figured if i copied my old project and pasted it as a new one, i might have a chance. lo and behold, it worked. when i copied my entire old project and pasted it as a new one, the timeline preview was somehow working again. it takes a little bit of going back and forth to move all the sound and text, but im just happy its working.

its not a SOLUTION by any means, but it IS a way of working around it for now. so for everyone stuck out there, this will get you back with a working timeline for the time being. hope this helps.
DrG is not online. Last active: 11/21/2007 1:41:58 AM DrG

Posted: 30 Jun 2007 02:11 PM
Okay.... copy and paste didn't work at all for me... the new project still wouldn't play the preview... what process are you using to copy and past?

Anyone else have solutions or having the same problem?
KazureX is not online. Last active: 12/19/2007 8:56:50 PM KazureX

Posted: 30 Jun 2007 05:25 PM
I've had this problem for a while now, but when I tried doing what you did, it finally worked!!
Except all I did was copy on of my clips, and pasted it elsewhere on my project. The preview then worked perfectly, and I simply deleted the second clip.

Thanks a lot ^^ Hopefully it'll last until I finish this video.
but I'm not sure if it'll work for everyone else.

Posted: 03 Jul 2007 10:22 AM
Glad it helped kazure.

It helped me get through the entire project. It was a big one, 33 minutes long with alot of audio and video. It hit a few snags as i was completing it (same timeline problem), but copying the timeline and pasting it into a new project continued to get the timeline running again.

Most of the time, the problem occurred when i would add a transition.
bluelady91 is not online. Last active: 8/23/2007 3:19:07 PM bluelady91
Total Posts: 18

Posted: 04 Jul 2007 10:21 AM
Ok last I heard from Microsoft any other pic program will cause this "hangup" when playing a video. So does anyone have a suggestion other than "recovery of C drive to get back to original". I have added picasa and a few other programs to a new computer and the codecs from these programs are the problem in Vista (so microsoft says). And I am going to try the copy paste route since I have 2 large projects for some close friends I have to finish. Any ideas or suggestions?
movies.blainesville.com
Top 25 Poster
Forum Moderator

Posted: 04 Jul 2007 11:58 AM
One hint I saw in another thread was to try switching to 'storyboard' view... can you just try that and see if you get different results?

Blaine
YouTube videos
Johnson365 is not online. Last active: 12/27/2009 11:50:10 PM Johnson365
Total Posts: 84

Posted: 04 Jul 2007 01:11 PM
I'm having the same problem. I tried switching to "storyboard" view, but it still won't play.
wedney is not online. Last active: 9/22/2007 8:47:16 PM wedney

Posted: 06 Jul 2007 12:46 PM
When my timeline quits, it comes back by hitting the undo arrow, but any other changes (add or remove clips) MAKES IT INOPERABLE again. Sure would like to see a solution.
arwen17 is not online. Last active: 1/26/2008 5:48:43 AM arwen17
Total Posts: 8

Posted: 08 Jul 2007 02:51 PM
Mine seems to stop working whenever it pleases, regardless of transitions or auto updates. The only thing I've found to get it working again is to publish what I have done so far and open it up in a new timeline and then continuing adding to it. This has only started to happen to me recently. I wish microsoft would do something.
wedney is not online. Last active: 9/22/2007 8:47:16 PM wedney

Posted: 11 Jul 2007 06:47 PM
Arwen17,
Thanks for the suggestion about publishing and then opening in a new time line. I was able to get 25 minutes of video done, then published to a file on the desk top. I also saved the project, but of course it would not open again on the time time. The few changes I want to make can be done on the published copy.
As I was working on it, adding some transitions made the timeline stop working, but hitting undo brought it back.
actionj123 is not online. Last active: 7/20/2007 2:47:05 PM actionj123

Posted: 12 Jul 2007 02:53 PM
Well....Same old story here? The thing has a mind of it's own...and is piss'n me off. Found this place looking for a solution....looks like some progress has been made but non of which is working for me. Thanks for all your hard work...I'll let you know if I find a solution or come across any fixes.
ssorrell is not online. Last active: 7/21/2007 11:50:18 AM ssorrell
Total Posts: 3

Posted: 13 Jul 2007 02:49 PM
Having just bought a new computer with Vista, after having many issues with the new OS, I should've known I would run into problems with MM. I used the older version in XP a LOT, and this is rather frustrating...

I just had my first attempt at creating a movie from my vacation pics and videos. The files all imported just fine, and I got them onto the timeline without a hitch. Not until I added transitions did I run into a problem.

I've narrowed it down to this...I cannot add any transition AFTER any movie clip...the timeline will stop playing. However, if I remove it...it plays again. So...instead I add a fade out effect to the video, and I fade in the next clip, whether it is another video or a pic, and so far, it has worked...but NO transition in between.

Maybe give this a try...you don't have near as many effects to choose from, but at least it will continue to work.

joe dirt is not online. Last active: 8/18/2007 10:53:38 AM joe dirt
Total Posts: 3

Posted: 15 Jul 2007 04:17 PM
Another new member looking for a fix and came across this. Thanks for all the "digging" guys...I still have an old version of XP movie maker I may need to use for an upcoming project but I'd rather not have to resort to that.

A lot of great stuff here. I love movie maker (well, I did until now) and I may just become a regular here. :D
Previous Thread :: Next Thread 
Page 1 of 4Goto to page: [1], 2, 3, 4 Next

Movie Maker Forums  > Windows Movie Maker  > Windows Vista  > Timeline won't play