[Lights, Camera, Action]

Home    Forums    Tutorials    Search    Books    Links 

Windows Movie Maker tips, tutorials, forums and more...

Windows Movie Maker Home   Search   Login   Register   Member List  
Windows Movie Maker  > Publishing and Saving Movies  > movie done, won't copy to cd    
Previous Thread :: Next Thread 
 Author Thread: movie done, won't copy to cd
phenrikgk is not online. Last active: 11/21/2006 7:01:24 PM phenrikgk
Total Posts: 6

movie done, won't copy to cd
Posted: 14 Nov 2006 11:49 PM
i have completed after 2 and a half months a 12 minute long football ( soccer ) highlight movie that has numerous still and live action images, with many effects, transitions, and music... there are over 2,000 clips in 12 minutes. i am self taught and i feel this has been a worthy project, but it does not save to a cd, also there is some trouble watching the whole movie through ( i wonder if i have too many transitions; as it "skips" sometimes, but then sometimes does not. When i went to burn it to a cd ( i will burn it to dvd later) then it said i have 149,999 minutes ( or about 25 hours) until competion, then an icon appeared notifying me of too low memory ( sometimes i have seen this before)... Loading the clips has been a lot of work as it takes several minutes for the computer to digest the information i guess... i do not know much about computers and all i want to do is to save the movie; if any one has any advice i would appreciate it as soon as possible...
Many thanks
desilucy is not online. Last active: 4/1/2012 9:16:25 PM desilucy
www.desilucy.com
Top 25 Poster
Forum Moderator
Total Posts: 7020

Re: movie done, won't copy to cd
Posted: 15 Nov 2006 04:17 PM
That's heavy duty complexity alright...Look up to the topright of this page. Under the "Lights, Camera, Action" click on the "Tutorials" link. When Pa J's newsletter page comes up, Take a look at two newsletters: #8 and #69.
You will definitely need to make a couple of passes to get it to save...

Welcome to the forums! and keep us posted...

Rich-Previous Microsoft Digital Media MVP
Having trouble with MM...check here: www.desilucy.com
Or here: www.papajohn.org
ssmy58 is not online. Last active: 3/21/2007 10:11:09 AM ssmy58
Total Posts: 8

Posted: 16 Nov 2006 04:59 PM
Cut it in half, it sucks but thats what I found out last year. When you burn it to a DVD you just make 2 chapters. Make sure you fade out the last one and fade in the first one.
www.desilucy.com
Top 25 Poster
Forum Moderator

Posted: 16 Nov 2006 05:07 PM
no, once each half is saved successfully, then you reimport each of the saved halfs back into MM and save those two halfs as one movie. Your cpu should not be as taxed as it has already handled all the trans/effects. Providing you have enough ram to start with, you can always tweak your virtual memory to assist if you don't. That final single clip that saves successfully is what you take to burn software...

dickmr is not online. Last active: 2/22/2014 9:43:15 PM dickmr
Top 25 Poster
Total Posts: 3100

Posted: 16 Nov 2006 05:36 PM
Basically, make sure you save your PROJECT FILE. As desi says, thats a major complex vid....load up your project and whittle it down to half....then render out. Edit clear the timeline, and load up your whole project again, and whittle it down to the OTHER half and render that out. Import each completed section and drag to the timeline in order, and re-render again. Just make sure you don't save over your original project, and you can change it as you please to get it accomplished. Even if you have to save it under two names so you don't eliminate it inadvertently. I'm saying the same as desi, but I just felt I had a post in me to get out, before I go pick up my car at the shop and pay thru the nose...LOL
www.desilucy.com
Top 25 Poster
Forum Moderator

Posted: 16 Nov 2006 05:56 PM
Lol toCrying...your chariot awaits you sir...bring cash please.

Posted: 17 Nov 2006 08:45 PM
I think i will put the movie in 3 or 4 parts for smoother transitional effects.
I don't really understand how to put the movie then back together, how that will make a difference, as it is for some reason not possible to change the memory space in the computer. So, i will experiement, yet be careful as to not lose any thing at all...
Thanks for the advice so far!
Top 25 Poster

Posted: 17 Nov 2006 09:27 PM
What happens is this...for example, lets say you put your movie into 4 parts. The total of the movie is complex and difficult on the resources of your computer. But it is more likely it can handle a 1/4 segment to render it out as a video file. If you make four of those files...and then you import them back into Movie Maker, you can put them in order down on the timeline again and it will be your full movie. When you render that out, your computer will handle it much more easily since it no longer has to struggle with the effects/transitions/titles/color or whatever else that made it difficult to render in the first place.

I was thinking...you originally said you had 2,000 clips in 12 minutes. Since there are only 720 seconds in 12 minutes do you really have almost 3 clips/pics per second showing? I thinking you meant 200 which in itself can be made into a complex vid...but better it is rendered out in somewhat small pieces. Good luck and have fun!

Posted: 17 Nov 2006 10:09 PM
i don't know the exact number, but it said i average 3 clips a second, many are at .27 as they go quickly to the beats of the music transitions.
i now have a new problem, a friend of mine attemped to download the movie with a memory card stick thing usb? And we thought by putting it on his computer and then a disc, it would copy fine, but no... there is a record of this attempt on the computer, but no movie or copy, so i went back to the computer and watched the movie and thought of where i would make the cuts for 4 pieces, i attempted to save, and again the memory was too low, so i shut down and upon retuning
the file
"C:\ Documents and Settings\My Documents\THE GOALKEEPER.MSWMM"
could not be found.
Has it been deleted,renamed,or moved?
I REALLY APPRECIATE ANY HELP !!!!
After all of this woprk, it is very, very frustrating that i could of lost this and have so much trouble copy it ...
Thanks for the advice especially from the tutorials
Top 25 Poster

Posted: 18 Nov 2006 01:08 AM
No....your MSWMM file is the 'project' file which keeps track of where all of your original clips are and the structure of your video. It is like a library keeping what you are doing organized. The MOVIE is the file you render when you 'save to computer' and it becomes the stand alone video which you can either put on cd or burn to a cd/dvd. If your friend attempted to take the PROJECT file, it would not do him any good unless he had the underlying files (your original clips). It appears he MOVED the project file to his memory stick instead of copying it. You should get it back from him...and hope that it is not a corrupted file. If he was going to burn the file for you....he needs to copy the completed MOVIE when you are finished, not the PROJECT file since it is only the record keeper, not the video file which you render. This is the reason on the prior post, that I stated you should make sure to save your project file, and to be absolutely certain you don't lose it, to save it again under a different name.
Get the MSWMM file back off your friends memory stick and put it in My Documents...let us know if it loads correctly back into Movie Maker when you do it.

Posted: 18 Nov 2006 06:38 PM
my friend tranfered the memory stick to his computer, hwich also has the movie maker programe and it would not open and it only showed a error, similar to whatr i have now when i look for it on my compputer as well...
did this attempted tranfer cause the project to somehow be lost; i watched the project as it was still up soon after and then i closed it down as i normally would have, i have used the project file numerous times over the last 2 months open and saving the movie...
i understand now about cutting the project from 12 minutes into 3 four minute segments, but now i can not find the movie whatsoever, though the name of the project still apprears on the movie maker programe looking like a file... i 've searched the computer hard drive ( C: 0 and all over extensively and it the name and the 5.9 megabites of space used, but i can not find it to open anywhere at all...
Will i have to make this over?
Any and all help is much appreciated...

Posted: 18 Nov 2006 06:41 PM
my friend just tranfered the programe from the c drive and not from the project file movie maker itself,but the name of the movie shows up and we tried to put it on a disk... we believe we just tranfered the movie maker program, is this probable?
Top 25 Poster

Posted: 18 Nov 2006 11:46 PM
I think you are getting confused again between a project and a movie file. The MSWMM file is the 'project'....NOT the video. If you friend actually transferred the Movie Maker program thats not going to work. Thats not a good idea. If he actually took you MSWMM file (the actual project file, which I think is what you have done) it will not work on his computer because the project file needs the original source files to show up correctly on the timeline. If indeed he copied your movie file, it would play in Media Player by itself as a stand alone video. I'm assuming here he didnt move your original source files to his stick...if he did that they are not available on your computer. If it is all messed up you may have to start over....but before you do, make certain you understand the basics of saving your project and also saving the actual video. Read through this forum and it will help you quite a bit ....and keep asking questions thats the best way to find what you are doing and how to solve problems.

Posted: 19 Nov 2006 11:36 AM
i am frustrated losing the movie and stupid asking so many questions.
i have creativity for editing / movie making but not a technical sense
thanks again
Top 25 Poster

Posted: 19 Nov 2006 01:26 PM
Well, don't let the frustration last...we have all been there and end up wiser for the experience. And don't worry because it is often said...there are no stupid questions in here. If that were true my picture would be posted in here as the prime example!! LOL Try a few things to make sure that you really did lose your project...check out the other projects to see if any are misnamed. And again reload Movie Maker and attempt to load the project to see if it is really corrupted. Maybe someone else can come on here to answer what could be wrong with that file....if so, don't delete it for a while. If you start over, give your project a new name and as mentioned save a backup project name. It is possible though that you could get back the project file that your friend has on the stick and put it back into 'my documents' to see if that one is a good file. Also, if you start over, and with all of those clips...you likely have tons of 'collections' containing those clips...at the top select 'collections' and on the left you will likely have many where you can select each without having to import each and every one. When completed it is likely those collections are slowing down your computer and is best to keep that listing slim and lean for better operation. Good luck with it...sounds like an awesome project. But don't give up just because of this.
Previous Thread :: Next Thread 
Page 1 of 1

Movie Maker Forums  > Windows Movie Maker  > Publishing and Saving Movies  > movie done, won't copy to cd