[Lights, Camera, Action]

Home    Forums    Tutorials    Search    Books    Links 

Windows Movie Maker tips, tutorials, forums and more...

Windows Movie Maker Home   Search   Login   Register   Member List  
Windows Movie Maker  > Music, Narration, and Sound  > Loss of sound quality when dragging video to timeline    
Previous Thread :: Next Thread 
 Author Thread: Loss of sound quality when dragging video to timeline
kimhuai is not online. Last active: 2/18/2008 5:53:06 AM kimhuai
Total Posts: 6

Loss of sound quality when dragging video to timeline
Posted: 29 Aug 2006 10:57 AM
When I import my video into Movie Maker Collections, it sounds fine, but the moment I drag any clip to the timeline and play it from there, its sound quality drops a lot, making it sound crackly, but if I click on the clip in the Collections it still sounds fine. If I save my movie from the timeline, it has horrible audio, just like it sounds when previewing on the timeline itself. What am I doing wrong??? Please HELP!
considerate_guy is not online. Last active: 8/7/2015 5:49:08 PM considerate_guy
movies.blainesville.com
Top 25 Poster
Forum Moderator
Total Posts: 24219

Re: Loss of sound quality when dragging video to timeline
Posted: 29 Aug 2006 11:51 AM
What type of video file are you importing? Sounds like an incompatible file type and/or codec.

Blaine
Movie Maker (Custom Titles, Effects. etc.)Cool
WMM 6.0 on Windows 7 or 8
YouTube videos

Posted: 29 Aug 2006 08:21 PM
They're AVI files. I import them from my digital camera, which captures video in MOV format, then I have to convert them to AVI in order to be able to import them into Movie Maker. I use a little program called RiverPast Video Cleaner Lite to do this. The audio settings on the converter are Microsoft ADPCM Auto. I've tried other settings, but they don't seem to let me export the sound at all.

As I mentioned, when I import the AVI files into the My Collections window in Movie Maker, everythign still sounds fine - the deterioration in sound quality only happens when I drag the clips to the timeline.

What are the compatible file types and codecs for Movie Maker anyway?

Thanks!
movies.blainesville.com
Top 25 Poster
Forum Moderator

Posted: 29 Aug 2006 08:45 PM
Try looking at www.papajohn.org > Import Movie Source > Video > .MOV. You might use the RAD Video Tools to convert your .MOV files instead. There's a newsletter link there too.

Blaine
YouTube videos

Posted: 29 Aug 2006 09:47 PM
But why would I want to buy a different converter software when Video Cleaner Lite already works fine? I mean, the converted AVI files' sound quality is perfectly fine - the problem only happens when I drag the video to the timeline in Movie Maker.
movies.blainesville.com
Top 25 Poster
Forum Moderator

Posted: 29 Aug 2006 10:02 PM
RAD Video Tools is free, and the method has been tested and found to work.

Blaine
YouTube videos

Posted: 29 Aug 2006 10:45 PM
Ok thanks, I'll try it. When I checked earlier I thought it said it costs $20, but I see it's actually free now that I've looked again.
Jacob Coventry is not online. Last active: 9/20/2006 4:51:55 PM Jacob Coventry
Total Posts: 2

Posted: 12 Sep 2006 07:39 PM
I'm having a similar problem (and have for a long while) basically, I'm using Adobe Premier Pro 7, which exports in .AVI, and I use Movie Maker to squash it and make it small enough to use on the internet. There seems to be digital distortion or something - the sound quality is nowhere near the original clip, and if I have a video with music, or sound and dialouge together, it's nearly unusable.

I read this thread, and I downloaded RAD, trying to recompress the AVI into one of RAD's AVI comp's, then imported that into Movie Maker (RAD made the AVI even bigger, a 500 meg clip became a 900 meg clip), and I'm getting the same results.

Is there any other freeware converter that can compress a huge AVI (they're typically 500meg to 1 gig each) down into usable size that you could maybe recommend?

Or is there some other technique to make the file translate to WMM better? I noticed the bit rate changes, it's coming out of Premier at 1024kbps and then after I put it through Windows Movie Maker at 1676kbps. Could this have anything to do with it?
Jacob Coventry is not online. Last active: 9/20/2006 4:51:55 PM Jacob Coventry

Posted: 14 Sep 2006 10:37 AM
P.S. - I tried exporting audio seperately as a windows wav file, and imported that into windows movie maker, and I got the same sound distortion problem
movies.blainesville.com
Top 25 Poster
Forum Moderator

Posted: 14 Sep 2006 12:05 PM
I would think that Adobe Premiere would have some options for smaller file sizes and formats... any reason you aren't doing it at the source?

Blaine
YouTube videos
surfnut77 is not online. Last active: 9/23/2006 11:53:10 PM surfnut77
Total Posts: 1

Re: Loss of sound quality (Did anyone resolve this issue?... I need help too.)
Posted: 23 Sep 2006 11:48 PM
Hello,

I wanted to know if you (or anyone else) resolved this issue with audio as I am having the same problem.

I didn't have a firewire connection on my computer so I tried recording to a SD card with my digital camera and movie maker 5.5 imported the avi file with no problem.

Again like you ... the audio sounds "excellent" until I drag it to the timeline. THen it has some kind of background static sound.

Thanks for any help !

Posted: 24 Sep 2006 05:05 AM
Actually, I haven't yet managed to resolve this issue! I followed all the suggestions of ConsiderateGuy, but nothing works so far. RADTools make no difference. My problem is still exactly like yours - everything sounds perfect, until I drag it to the timeline. I too would appreciate working help!
charlie3 is not online. Last active: 11/7/2006 1:06:40 PM charlie3
Total Posts: 3

Posted: 27 Sep 2006 08:31 PM
I checked this board about the identical issue a year ago and got the identical answer, may be if you check papajohn's page you'll find an answer. I think that's a long running joke on the message board. I still have the problem and am still looking for an answer. Two of my sibilings have the identical problem on their computers.

I can work around the problem by queing my video camera and ripping the exact scene, start to finish, to a compressed format. When I first got the camera, 3 years ago I was using Moviemaker without this problem. Videos I made back then play without distortion--until they are put on the story board.

It's a safe bet that many or most movie maker installations have this glitch and it's puzzling that MS doesn't address it. If anybody on this board knows a solution they get their giggles by playing dumb.
movies.blainesville.com
Top 25 Poster
Forum Moderator

Posted: 27 Sep 2006 08:37 PM
Is it an .avi file? Can you run GSpot against it and see what *audio* codec is listed? That would help track down why it doesn't play when put on the timeline.

Note: the collection plays using the same method as Windows Media Player. When it is on the timeline for editing it goes through a different "pipeline" which explains why it behaves differently (and also why something can import and play from the collection, but not be okay on the timeline).

I still think you are using an incompatible format, but the information from GSpot will help track that down...

Blaine
YouTube videos

Posted: 06 Nov 2006 04:02 PM
I got Gspot. It lists many things, interesting but incomprehensible. What should I be looking for?

I believe the audio distortion problem did not exist with Movie Maker 2.1 which was a stand alone freebie. Then Microsoft built Movie Maker (5) into SP1 and the problem starts from there.

Many many people are having problems with audio distortion in the timeline and it effects other video programs besides Movie Maker. Microsoft is absolutely silent, quite typical of the Microsoft culture. I've made a bunch of bad videos with movie maker 5 that I'll go back and do over when the problem is solved.

Now that I have Gspot what next. Do you suppose there's any way to run the old stand alone Movie Maker on a machine with the built in movie maker?

Charliew
neophyte is not online. Last active: 3/9/2018 9:52:14 PM neophyte
neos-world.is-great.org
Top 25 Poster
Forum Moderator
Total Posts: 20182

Posted: 06 Nov 2006 04:11 PM
The information considerate guy is looking for is about two-thirds of the way down on the left hand side of the GSpot window. You will see a heading labeled "Audio". Beneath that is a box that has "Codec" to the left of it. Considerate guy was asking you to provide whatever is in that box - this is the name of the audio codec used to generate the file.

I hear and I forget. I see and I remember. I do and I understand. -- Confucius

Posted: 06 Nov 2006 11:52 PM
I ran Gspot on the avi file I'm trying to edit. Under Audio it says Codec PCM Audio, 48000Hz 1536db/s tot (2 chnis) Stat: No Codec Required

I have compressed files created with Movie Maker 2.1 several years ago that have good audio in media player but bad audio in the time line. Movie Maker can be used to grab video and compress video without hurting sound quality but any file played in the time line is spoiled.

Every file type i've tried in the time line has spoiled audio so I don't think the problem is related to the type of file or the codec it was made with. Also I'm running a brand new computer with factory installed OS. I know of two other comptuers with the identical problem. I don't know of any computer that does not have the problem.

Do the people advising on this board use windows movie maker or somee other editing software? It would be interesting to hear from someone who uses movie maker but does not have this problem.
andrew62 is not online. Last active: 12/22/2006 3:27:00 AM andrew62

Posted: 22 Dec 2006 01:10 AM
Have you managed to resolve this problem? I have the same problem with Movie Maker 5.1, just as you describe: sound quality is fine until clips are dragged into the timeline. Like you I had a previous version of Movie Maker on a previous computer purchased in Sept 2003 (Movie Maker 2?) which gave me no problems. If you have found a resolution I'd be grateful to hear it.
sartre is not online. Last active: 3/7/2007 11:40:39 PM sartre

Posted: 04 Mar 2007 08:50 PM
I had the same problem when I tried to add a soundtrack to a series of clips I imported from a digital camera. Here's how I solved it:

Although the camera I used did not record sound with the clips, each clip nevertheless had an associated audio track. This was interfering with the 320kbps MP3 track I had dragged to the Audio/Music track on the timeline. I muted these (Clip-->Audio-->Mute), re-saved the finished movie and the problem disappeared.

Hope this helps somebody.
waylay00 is not online. Last active: 2/23/2008 8:27:49 PM waylay00

Posted: 18 Feb 2008 03:25 AM
I'm having this same problem. Any insight?

Posted: 18 Feb 2008 05:53 AM
Hi there, this issue was resolved when I downloaded additional codecs for my MOV files. I found them by searching for free codecs using google and just trying whichever ones I could find for MOV files.

Don't know if that would help in your case, but it's worth a try I guess. All the best!
Daboa is not online. Last active: 10/21/2008 11:56:17 AM Daboa
Total Posts: 11

Posted: 19 Jun 2008 07:27 PM
Hi I'm having the same problem as the original poster with some AVI files from a digital camera. I've no idea what to do and this really bugs me! Is there a certain codec I should have that I don't have? I just installed a Vista Codecs Pack to make sure and the problem remains.

If Nobody can recommend a codec (or some other specific solution), would it help to reinstall Movie Maker? If so, would I be able to open up my video project again after the reinstall or would it disappear?

I have WMM 6 but I stopped using it because it wouldn't play .wmv files! I would only try it again as a last resort because opening WMM 6 somehow makes WMM 2 erase its video collection.
neophyte is not online. Last active: 3/9/2018 9:52:14 PM neophyte
neos-world.is-great.org
Top 25 Poster
Forum Moderator
Total Posts: 20182

Posted: 20 Jun 2008 09:23 PM
Daboa - do you have both version 6 and version 2 of Movie Maker installed on your system?

If you do, uninstall version 2. Is there a specific reason you wanted this version of Movie Maker (which was intended for Windows XP) on your Vista system?

I hear and I forget. I see and I remember. I do and I understand. -- Confucius
Daboa is not online. Last active: 10/21/2008 11:56:17 AM Daboa
Total Posts: 11

Posted: 21 Jun 2008 04:27 AM
I was having problems with 6.0. It wouldn't play imported wmv files. There would be sound. No picture.

btw, I found a workaround for the audio quality problem. I used Any Video Converter to convert the files to a different format. Still, it would be nice not to have to do that.
skier-hughes is not online. Last active: 2/23/2015 1:35:22 PM skier-hughes
www.myvideoproblems.com
Top 25 Poster
Total Posts: 1494

Posted: 21 Jun 2008 06:14 PM
It would be nice, but with over 800 different file types that can be put in an avi wrapper, it'll never happen!!!!!!!

Graham

www.myvideoproblems.com
Previous Thread :: Next Thread 
Page 1 of 3Goto to page: [1], 2, 3 Next

Movie Maker Forums  > Windows Movie Maker  > Music, Narration, and Sound  > Loss of sound quality when dragging video to timeline