[Lights, Camera, Action]

Home    Forums    Tutorials    Search    Books    Links 

Windows Movie Maker tips, tutorials, forums and more...

Windows Movie Maker Home   Search   Login   Register   Member List  
Movie Maker Users Showcase  > Share Your XP Transitions and Effects!!  > Cool Gradients    
Previous Thread :: Next Thread 
 Author Thread: Cool Gradients
Rehan is not online. Last active: 5/8/2012 5:49:17 PM Rehan
www.rehanfx.org
Top 25 Poster
Total Posts: 2176

Cool Gradients
Posted: 03 Nov 2004 11:06 AM
I found these free gradient files for at Buena Vista website...

These make very nice Wipe transitions. So enjoy making them.

www.rehanfx.org - do more with Windows Movie Maker...
rehanfx.x10hosting.com - mirror site
www.rehanfx.org
Top 25 Poster

Re: Cool Gradients
Posted: 03 Nov 2004 07:20 PM
I have now made available the xml+icons files for these gradients:

1 Download and extract into your AddOnTFX folder. This should make a new subfolder called "Cool Gradients 2" within AddOnTFX

2. Now download my package and extract to the AddOnTFX folder.

Restart WMM.

Enjoy.

Note added (14/06/2006): The first link above has expired. Use this Alternate link.

chipymunk is not online. Last active: 3/3/2005 7:08:00 PM chipymunk
Top 100 Poster
Total Posts: 23

Posted: 03 Nov 2004 10:48 PM
Thanks Rehan.. U da man... I know I've asked this before but how do you get the DLL? What program do you use to write this up? I guess I'm asking what the DLL's are for...

Love yer work..

chip
www.rehanfx.org
Top 25 Poster

Posted: 04 Nov 2004 12:23 AM
DLL is made by using Visual Studio as described in the end section of the MSDN whitepaper. In this instance it contains just the icons for these transitions.

In other cases it may also contain the code for the effects/transitions.

Glynnagen is not online. Last active: 10/30/2009 6:06:44 AM Glynnagen
Total Posts: 99

Posted: 04 Nov 2004 03:10 AM
whenever i go to use ure transitions it closes moviemaker

What does current events show about George Bush's Management Skills?
www.rehanfx.org
Top 25 Poster

Posted: 04 Nov 2004 07:04 AM
What about any other transition?

davo75 is not online. Last active: 10/11/2006 9:34:03 PM davo75
Total Posts: 57

Posted: 14 Dec 2004 07:20 AM
how do i extract the files to my add on thingy????
i dont know what you mean,,,sorry...please help me....
www.rehanfx.org
Top 25 Poster

Posted: 14 Dec 2004 08:09 AM
Dear davo, relax a bit and go through the main reference article at MSDN. It should answer all your questions in detail.

Here are some tips:

* The xml files are simple text files created by notepad or any other text editor
* the codes given on these forums need to be copied pasted into notepad and saved as a file with extension .xml instead of .txt
* The file name before .xml is not important
* The xml files should be saved in the folder: <b>C:\Program Files\Movie Maker\Shared\AddOnTFX"
* If AddOnTFX folder does not exist you need to create one.

Hope it helps.

RD423 is not online. Last active: 1/1/2005 4:30:35 AM RD423
Total Posts: 19

Posted: 22 Dec 2004 05:44 AM
Rehan, I extracted them and saved them in the correct folder. but its just a basic wipe, each one of them does the same exact thing. is it something I could be doing wrong. I put them in the right folder even the dll and I then I reopened movie maker.
www.rehanfx.org
Top 25 Poster

Posted: 22 Dec 2004 06:19 AM
It would seem the images are not found by the script. Make sure the images are extracted properly in:
</b>C:\Program Files\Movie Maker\Shared\AddOnTFX\Cool Gradients 2</b>

Otherwise edit the xml file and change the paths of the images for all the transitions.

CrazyIvan is not online. Last active: 5/11/2007 3:43:10 PM CrazyIvan
Top 100 Poster
Total Posts: 55

Posted: 22 Dec 2004 04:59 PM
You will have to RE-REGISTER the DLL from the command prompt.

If you don't know how to do it, let me know, I can explain it to you.
www.rehanfx.org
Top 25 Poster

Posted: 22 Dec 2004 06:51 PM
Well which DLL are you talking about? There should be no need to re-register any DLL. The dll contained in my package as mentioned above is only for the icons. The actual code used to accomplish these transitions is implemented in one of the standard DirectShow DLL c:\windows\system32\qedit.dll.

However yes if for some reason the registration of this dll is broken/corrupted.. you need to re-register by executing the following line on Start -> Run dialog.

regsvr32 %windir%\system32\qedit.dll

glow is not online. Last active: 2/28/2016 4:07:11 AM glow
Top 25 Poster
Total Posts: 1441

Posted: 17 Jan 2005 07:02 PM
Hi Rehan

Thanks for making the icons and XML. I look forward to them starring in my next home movie.
One minor bug - I think the icons for Swirl-o-Rama and Swirl-o-Rama 2 need to be swapped - easy enough to change the xml.

If one doesn't have Visual Studio are there other tools available to compile or modify such DLLs with just icons?

gl

I use Firefox+Greasemonkey scripts for easier editing of forum posts, FAQs and displaying embedded images Wink
www.rehanfx.org
Top 25 Poster

Posted: 28 Jan 2005 09:31 AM
There are quite a few independent icon editors but these are not useful for making custom icons for Movie Maker. THis is because the actual resource type used for MM icons is a bitmap rather than what is technically termed as an icon.

Top 25 Poster

Posted: 30 Jan 2005 06:38 PM
Thanks Rehan

I went and installed Visual Studio anyway and created my own moviemaker icons ok.
However it seems like I'm using a sledge hammer to push in a thumb tack by using Visual Studio to convert a bitmap into a DLL - the app and documentation seem to swallow the best part of gigabyte if not more.

Splicing together bitmaps is easy enough with free image manipulation program e.g. Irfanview.
It would be nice to have a small utility to compile it into a DLL without the huge overhead of Visual Studio. I guess most of us use MM rather than other video editors 'cos it's free. Doesn't make much sense to invest in Visual Studio only to make icons for custom transitions - may as well purchase a video editor with more features.

Incidentally, I had a go at converting the first set of Cool Gradients (PICT files) to MM transitions (with custom icons).
I noticed that the wipes seem to be inverted and I had to negate some of the pictures.
That is the original gradients seem to be designed to go from white to black but the Directshow wipe used by MM wants to go from black to white.

I use Firefox+Greasemonkey scripts for easier editing of forum posts, FAQs and displaying embedded images Wink
www.rehanfx.org
Top 25 Poster

Posted: 31 Jan 2005 11:13 AM
Obviously Visual Studio is not the tool just for making icons for Movie Maker... It does much more... including writing full blown applications like Windows Movie Maker...

However this is the only recommended tool for making custom icons for WMM. If somebody finds some other freeware/cheaper tool which can achieve the same purpose then please report and share your experience here.

Top 25 Poster

Posted: 01 Feb 2005 09:39 PM
I've had a bit of google and found that there are in fact many free windows resource compilers.
This page has a good selection
http://www.thefreecountry.com/programming/resourceeditors.shtml

I tried one of these, ResourceHacker
http://www.users.on.net/johnson/resourcehacker/

It can take an existing DLL with a bitmap e.g. CoolGradients2.dll
and replace or add a bitmap. It looked like the replacement
had to be the same size but an addition could be any size.
You can then save it to a new name.

So to answer my original question, if one doesn't have Visual Studio, indeed one can create new icons for effects or transitions with some free tools.
Here's how I did it
1. Preview the transition or effect in MM, pause it midway and save a snapshot
2. Use Irfanview to resize it to 96*72 (optionally put a 3D button look like the original icons)
3. Use Irfanview to create 96*6 white border image
4. Use Irfanview to make a 96*84 vertical panorama of the border+resized image+border
5. Repeat 2-4 for other effects/transitions
6. Use Irfanview to make a horizontal panorama of all the icons - save as *.bmp
7. Use ResourceHacker to put the new bitmap inside a DLL

I also used ResourceHacker to take a look inside MM2.0 itself e.g.
C:\Program Files\Movie Maker\1033\WMM2RES.dll
BITMAP 239 has the icons for the built-in effects
BITMAP 483 has the icons for the transitions

It seems that not all the icons are used.
The unused transition icons appear to be for some SMPTE wipes which didn't make it to the released package.
The SMPTE wipes are documented in
http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/en-us/directshow/htm/smptewipetransition.asp
I made an XML for all the missing wipes (even those without icons) just to see what they did.

Here's the first couple with icons:
<TransitionsAndEffects Version="1.0" >
<Transitions>
<TransitionDLL guid="{DE75D012-7A65-11D2-8CEA-00A0C9441E20}" comment="SMPTE wipes">
<Transition name="SMPTE 7 Four corners" iconid="26">
<Param name="MaskNum" value="7" />
<Param name="BorderSoftness" value="35" />
</Transition>
<Transition name="SMPTE 8 Four squares" iconid="17">
<Param name="MaskNum" value="8" />
<Param name="BorderSoftness" value="35" />
</Transition>
</Transitions>
</TransitionsAndEffects>

Perhaps I should have put this in a new thread?

www.rehanfx.org
Top 25 Poster

Posted: 02 Feb 2005 08:18 AM
Interesting.

Perhaps it is worth mentioning that Transition Maker tool also allows one to make custom icons. The project editor in TM2 is perhaps a bit easier to handle than ResHack tool as it would allow selcting full size pngs and resize them itself with button type borders.

hitthebongo is not online. Last active: 10/29/2011 8:39:42 AM hitthebongo
www.hitthebongo.co.uk
Top 25 Poster
Total Posts: 1227

Posted: 27 Jul 2006 06:27 AM
I know this is an old thread but it seems most appropriate for my query.

There is a quote from the Creating Custom Effects and Transitions in Windows Movie Maker page in the msdn library regarding custom icons:

6. In your XML file, add a SpecialIconFileID attribute to the TransitionsAndEffects XML tag and assign it a unique integer from 1 to 8192. The value of this number is not important as long as no other XML effect file uses this number to identify itself.

This worries me a little as some of the PIP+ effects I have posted in the past point to rehans SpecialIconFileID to bring up his pip+ icon . At the time I did this I seem to remember checking with Rehan if that was OK as a courtesy. I notice that many other posts do this as well. The MSDN article suggests however that this is a wrong practice.

The fact of the matter is that I don't know of any technical issues why this would pose a problem because I've never suffered any problems with the several xml's I have sharing a SpecialIconFileID . I would however like to clarify this somehow as I am now wanting to include icons with all my xml's...

While I can choose random SpecialIconFileID numbers up to 8192 there is obviously a chance that these might coincide with another xml, or a more likely scenario is that somebody modifys an xml I have published, saves it under a different xml name, and then BINGO - two xmls sharing the same SpecialIconFileID...

Any guidance fellas would be greatly appreciated . I suspect it may not matter, but I could do with some reassurance

BTW...Thanks for publishing your method of creating icons glow - it works really well

Thanks

Al
hitthebongo is not online. Last active: 10/29/2011 8:39:42 AM hitthebongo
www.hitthebongo.co.uk
Top 25 Poster
Total Posts: 1227

Posted: 27 Jul 2006 12:46 PM
I think I've worked it out.

If two xml's with the same SpecialIconFileID reference a single dll that appears to be fine - icons are displayed.

If two xml's with the same SpecialIconFileID reference are referenced to their own respective dll's and those dll's contain identical bitmaps , then that also appears to be fine

If two xml's with the same SpecialIconFileID are referenced to their own respective dll's BUT, they contain different bitmaps , then that is not fine. It appears that only one bitmap will win the battle, with the winner having it's icons displayed for both xml's.

...bit of a pain really....lets hope there won't be to many dll's floating about "out there"

Al

elizas is not online. Last active: 5/3/2010 6:41:05 AM elizas
Total Posts: 1

Posted: 03 May 2010 06:41 AM
The following code is a section of the xml file:

<patient>

<telecom value="tel:+1-444-555-6666" use="HP"/> ------> Home phone

<telecom value="tel:+1-888-999-2222" use="MC"/> ----->Mobile phone

<telecom value="mailto:monalisab@gmail.com"/> ---->Email

</patient>

As can be seen in the above code, the same <telecom> tag is used for different phone numbers (HP- Home Phone, MC- Moblile Phone) as well as for email too. So if we used for-each loop to extract the value, the email would be returned every time as it is the value in the last row.

To extract phone number from the telecom tag use the simple path,

<xsl:value-of select="patient/telecom/@value"/>

But before that we have to check if the attibute i.e "use" is present or not. this can be done using the If conditional statement.

http://www.mindfiresolutions.com/How-to-get-the-value-of-same-tag-but-used-in-different-scenario-in-a-XML-File-149.php
elkaiserarenas is not online. Last active: 5/18/2010 1:04:27 PM elkaiserarenas
Total Posts: 2

Posted: 18 May 2010 01:04 PM
RehanFX, please tell me why when i use the SPLIT HORIZONTAL, the middle line that divides the videos appears with a black border and some sparkles :S and i havent modified ur code, what i want is just a line dividing the videos but i get the line + some black border :S
Previous Thread :: Next Thread 
Page 1 of 1

Movie Maker Forums  > Movie Maker Users Showcase  > Share Your XP Transitions and Effects!!  > Cool Gradients