[Lights, Camera, Action]

Home    Forums    Tutorials    Search    Books    Links 

Windows Movie Maker tips, tutorials, forums and more...

Windows Movie Maker Home   Search   Login   Register   Member List  
Windows Movie Maker  > Transitions, Effects and Titles  > Re: Pictures as subtitles?    
Previous Thread :: Next Thread 
 Author Thread: Pictures as subtitles?
Ardjan is not online. Last active: 11/27/2004 7:12:00 PM Ardjan
Total Posts: 4

Pictures as subtitles?
Posted: 26 Sep 2004 06:07 PM
Hi!
I've got following problem: I have a movie (captured from DV-cam), and I like to do a kind of 'picture-subtitling': During the movie, I like to show some (small) pictures in a corner of the movie. With the 'RehanPIP' I couldn't do that easely, because (this spart of) my movie is just one shot.
So, what would be easist for me, is the possibilty of inserting pictures instead of subtitles...

Anyone an idea of how to do this?

Thanx in advance,
Ardjan
Rehan is not online. Last active: 5/8/2012 5:49:17 PM Rehan
www.rehanfx.org
Top 25 Poster
Total Posts: 2176

Re: Pictures as subtitles?
Posted: 26 Sep 2004 06:30 PM
I didnt understand your point about:

> because (this spart of) my movie is just one shot

A still picture can be used as easily as a movie clip with the pip transition I provide or the other PIP transitions.

www.rehanfx.org - do more with Windows Movie Maker...
rehanfx.x10hosting.com - mirror site

Posted: 27 Sep 2004 07:24 PM
ok, I'll try to make myself clear:
I've made a video-shot of my 21-month old son, while he is sitting in front of a diashow on the computer with company-logos, and he can already name almost all of them. Of course, most of his words are not understandable, if you don't know what he is trying to say. So, I like to put these picture as PIP in the movie, in the appropiate places. When he sees and says 'cola', I like to have the cola-brand appear in the lower right corner.... This whole scene/shot takes about two minutes, with about 40 brands. So there is no transition in this scene, I just like to have pictures pop-up as I can do with subtitle-text. Am I making myself clear?

Thanx,
Ardjan
www.rehanfx.org
Top 25 Poster

Posted: 27 Sep 2004 08:34 PM
Right I got your point.

You are confusing the transition to mean a break in one shot to change to another. That is not necessary. You can place a transition anywhere.

Just put a manual break in the Timeline view (use the scissor tool under the preview screen). Now place your still picture in the middle and drag it all the way towards left over the first part of the clip. "Trim" the remaining part of the still in timeline by dragging its right edge towards left. Now the whole still picture is over the first part of the clip and the second part of the movie starts without any break. Now go into the storyboard view and change the default "Fade" transition with a pip transition.

Hope this makes sense.

Posted: 28 Sep 2004 07:04 PM
Thanks! It helped a lot, but somehow I couldn't make it working just right. (Maybe I'm just too stupid, but as Microsoft Certified Professional and member of Mensa I doubt it... 8-))

I made the cut (that was the main point...) and put the still between the shots. I have to drag the right (2nd) part of the video over the still, because when I change the 'fade' with the 'PIP'-transition, I get the still as an insert (when I drag the still over the 1st part, the still becomes the background and the video becomes the PIP-insert). So far, so good.

But: I can't get the 1st and 2nd part of the video 'touch' each other. There is always a break between them, where the still-picture is showed in full size. When I try to drag the still over the 1st part and apply the standard fade-transition, I still get a blink in the final rendered movie, although this isn't visible in the preview (the fade last just 0.08 sec).

So I guess I have to stumble on, until I have what I want... 8-)

Thanks again for your help!
Ardjan
www.rehanfx.org
Top 25 Poster

Posted: 29 Sep 2004 06:28 AM
You are right!

There remains the minor gap between first clip and inserted picture. This is however a limitation of Movie maker as it wont allow complete overlap for some reason. The limitation is silly and unnecessary.

However dont despair just yet... I have another trick in my sleeve...Smiley.

The following is a set of transitions which shows only one of the inputs A or B for the entire duration of the transition. Completely useless for normal purposes... But should solve our problem. We need to apply "Show A" in the gap between first clip and the inserted picture. However MM might play tricks if you try to apply it after the PIP setup discussed above. When i tried it in Storyboard view, MM wouldnt allow adding any transition in the slot where it inserted the default Fade transition... I had to remove the Fade and PIP, and then insert ShowA first and then a PIP transition and then switch to Timeline view to adjust overlaps.

Hope it works for you.

Regards.

<TransitionsAndEffects Version="1.0">
<Transitions>
<TransitionDLL guid="{16B280C5-EE70-11D1-9066-00C04FD9189D}">
<Transition name="Show A" iconid="12" >
<Param name="Progress" value="0.0" />
</Transition>
<Transition name="Show B" iconid="12" >
<Param name="Progress" value="1.0" />
</Transition>
</TransitionDLL>
</Transitions>
</TransitionsAndEffects>

Copy paste into notepad and save as showAB.xml in C:\Program Files\Movie Maker\Shared\AddOnTFX as usual.

Posted: 29 Sep 2004 08:37 AM
Thanks! This works exactly as I wanted!

In case you're interested, I've put my test-video on the net on http://www.besse.at/uploader/files/PIP-Test.wmv (398kb). In this video you can see the logos on the screen, but I have also a take from the frontside, where you can't see them... The video is just for testing, no sound-edit, just the PIP-effect...

Thanx for your help!
Ardjan
Pumapayam is not online. Last active: 4/29/2008 10:14:09 AM Pumapayam
www.thestoryofstuff.com
Top 50 Poster
Total Posts: 328

Posted: 29 Sep 2004 09:47 PM
Thanx for the new trick!

If you have a constant fear of death, you never lived!
samhogy is not online. Last active: 4/15/2013 4:13:31 PM samhogy
Top 25 Poster
Total Posts: 1210

Posted: 09 Apr 2006 06:05 PM
Rehan, that is one excellent transition. Thank you very much. :D
considerate_guy is not online. Last active: 8/7/2015 5:49:08 PM considerate_guy
movies.blainesville.com
Top 25 Poster
Forum Moderator
Total Posts: 24219

Posted: 09 Apr 2006 06:13 PM
I'm not seeing any sample video at that URL... did you take it down?

Blaine
Movie Maker (Custom Titles, Effects. etc.)Cool
WMM 6.0 on Windows 7 or 8
YouTube videos
Sascha_123 is not online. Last active: 7/5/2012 3:25:11 AM Sascha_123
Total Posts: 1

Posted: 04 Jul 2012 03:57 PM
Hey guys,
I am quite new here and I am desperate...

I was going through this thread and I followed all the steps - means I copied your (Rehan) xml code and pasted it into notepad, saved it as "showAB.xml" and copied it into C:\Program Files\Movie Maker\Shared\AddOnTFX

I then restarted WMM (by the way, I am using Vista and the WMM Version 6.0) and I looked into the transition list but i did not find this new one...

Maybe I am just a rookie but still I would be glad if someone could help me...

P.s. sorry for my bad english but I hope getting the message is more challenging for you than solving my problem :-)

Thx for your help!!
considerate_guy is not online. Last active: 8/7/2015 5:49:08 PM considerate_guy
movies.blainesville.com
Top 25 Poster
Forum Moderator
Total Posts: 24219

Posted: 05 Jul 2012 11:53 AM
Sascha,

This particular thread is discussing a custom add-on for WMM 2.1 (Windows XP). If you have WMM 6.0 you want to look in the Vista forum (view forum 33)

In particular, read the pinned posts at the top of those threads. There is an equivalent to the ShowAB transitions for XP.

You'll need to go to this post:
view post 126998

Install Rehan's ShaderTFX and then Compositing (A add B) and Translucency transitions. Please feel free to post another question in that particular forum if you need further help.

Blaine
Movie Maker (Custom Titles, Effects. etc.)Cool
WMM 6.0 on Windows 7 or 8
YouTube videos
Previous Thread :: Next Thread 
Goto to page:  Prev Next

Movie Maker Forums  > Windows Movie Maker  > Transitions, Effects and Titles  > Re: Pictures as subtitles?