[Lights, Camera, Action]

Home    Forums    Tutorials    Search    Books    Links 

Windows Movie Maker tips, tutorials, forums and more...

Windows Movie Maker Home   Search   Login   Register   Member List  
Windows Movie Maker  > Getting Started with Windows Movie Maker  > Re: hey =) long question sorry >< wondering if wmm can do this...    
Previous Thread :: Next Thread 
 Author Thread: hey =) long question sorry >< wondering if wmm can do this...
VS_Power is not online. Last active: 6/18/2006 6:20:02 AM VS_Power
Total Posts: 17

hey =) long question sorry >< wondering if wmm can do this...
Posted: 06 Jun 2006 04:52 AM
hi after some inspiration i have decided to make a video game movie =) i was wondering if this specific effect will be possible...

kk so to start off i should tell you a little about the movie so you can better understand what im trying to do because it is hard to explain

basically, our world of warcraft guild just killed a major boss in the game. i want a casting section in the movie that shows 4 separate stills of a character posing, in one clip.

there are in total 40 characters, so there will be 10 different clips each with 4 characters each.

i would like each clip to introduce the 4 different screenshots of the characters simultaneously, the first screenshot taking the far left 1/4 of the screen, the second taking the middle left 1/4 of the screen, the third screenshot taking the middle right 1/4 of the screen, and lastly the fourth screenshot taking the far right 1/4 of the screen

i want each screenshot to enter the clip simultaneously, each coming in vertically but alternating entering from the bottom and top

so the far left screenshot would come up from the bottom, the middle left from the top, the middle right from the bottom, and the far right from the top.... all simultaneously

it would be like this:
/\ \/ /\ \/
/\ \/ /\ \/
/\ \/ /\ \/

BUT THAT'S NOT ALL!!!

i would like for each of these clips to have black bars on the top and bottom, as if they were widescreen (but not really). the images will not be stretched
it will look like this:

||||||||||||| (black bar)
/\ \/ /\ \/
/\ \/ /\ \/
/\ \/ /\ \/

ONE LAST THING!!!

i would like horizontally scrolling text on the top black bar that scrolls independant of the 10 clips. in other words, although i will have ten separate clips after another (each with the 4 screenshots), i would like a scrolling text on top "xxxxxxxx xxxx xxx x xx xxxx x x xx" that continuously repeats itself. i would like for this text to not falter or change when each new clip appears.

so finally it would look something like this:

Clip 1
||||||||||||| (black bar with horizontal text scrolling repeatedly)
/\ \/ /\ \/
/\ \/ /\ \/
/\ \/ /\ \/

Clip 2
||||||||||||| (black bar with horizontal text scrolling repeatedly)
/\ \/ /\ \/
/\ \/ /\ \/
/\ \/ /\ \/

now if you have read this far and intend to help me, then i thank you from the bottom of my heart =) i am a complete newbie to wmm but the inspiration to make this movie is too great XD thank you again =))))

Re: hey =) long question sorry >< wondering if wmm can do this...
Posted: 06 Jun 2006 05:16 AM
hhmmm im gonna try to draw it again simpler

||||||||||||||| "Congratulations on defeating Nefarian! You are now heroes.... (scrolling and repeating)" ||||||||
/\ \/ /\ \/...../\ \/ /\ \/..... /\ \/ /\ \/..... /\ \/ /\ \/..... /\ \/ /\ \/.....
/\ \/ /\ \/...../\ \/ /\ \/..... /\ \/ /\ \/..... /\ \/ /\ \/..... /\ \/ /\ \/.....
||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||

time elapsed------------------------------------------------->

||||||| = black bar

/\ \/ /\ \/
/\ \/ /\ \/ = 1 clip, each line of /\ is a different screenshot, entering simultaneously
/\ \/ /\ \/

considerate_guy is not online. Last active: 8/7/2015 5:49:08 PM considerate_guy
movies.blainesville.com
Top 25 Poster
Forum Moderator
Total Posts: 24219

Re: hey =) long question sorry &gt;&lt; wondering if wmm can do this...
Posted: 06 Jun 2006 11:39 AM
I have a solution for letterbox with the ticker tape in the upper bar:

Step 1:
Create a folder called C:\Program Files\Movie Maker\Shared\AddOnTFX (if it doesn't already exist).

Step 2:
Open up Notepad (Start > All Programs > Accessories > Notepad) and copy/paste the following code. Save this in C:\Program Files\Movie Maker\Shared\AddOnTFX as letterboxticker.xml. The .xml extension is important.

<TransitionsAndEffects Version="1.0">
<Titles>
<TitleDLL guid="{353359C1-39E1-491b-9951-464FD8AB071C}">
<Title name="Letterbox ticker" iconid="13">
<Param name="InternalName" value="TitleMultiTitles"/>
<Param name="Description" value="Letterbox ticker"/>
<Paragraph>
<Param name="BoundingRect" value="0.0 0.0 1.0 0.125"/>
<Param name="BannerType" value="UpperFlood"/>
<Param name="BannerColor1" value="Black"/>
<Param name="EntrancePosition" value="1.5 0.5"/>
<Param name="ExitPosition" value="-0.5 0.5"/>
<Param name="FontSize" value="16"/>
<Param name="IsOneLine" value="true"/>
<Param name="MaxCharacterCount" value="1024"/>
<Param name="ResizingTechnique" value="KeepVerticalConstant"/>
</Paragraph>
<Paragraph>
<Param name="RenderOrder" value="RenderLast"/>
<Param name="BoundingRect" value="0.0 0.875 1.0 0.125"/>
<Param name="BannerType" value="LowerFlood"/>
<Param name="BannerColor1" value="Black"/>
<Param name="Text" value=" "/>
</Paragraph>
</Title>
</TitleDLL>
</Titles>
</TransitionsAndEffects>

Step 3:
Restart Windows Movie Maker.

Step 4:
Now when you want to use the letterbox ticker tape, you do it as a 'title'. Go to Tools > Titles and Credits. Choose to place the title on the selected clip. Click on 'change animation type'. Scroll down to the Two-line titles and find Letterbox Ticker. Pick that.

Step 5:
Back to the text, type all the text you want into the top box. If you want it to repeat, paste it for as many times as you want it to appear. Change the font if desired.

Step 6:
You should see the title appear on the 'Title Overlay' track. If you can't see it, scroll down below your video and audio tracks. The rectangle will need to be stretched so it covers the length of your video, for as long as you want the letterbox mask to appear.

-=Blaine=-

Blaine
Movie Maker (Custom Titles, Effects. etc.)Cool
WMM 6.0 on Windows 7 or 8
YouTube videos

Re: hey =) long question sorry &gt;&lt; wondering if wmm can do this...
Posted: 06 Jun 2006 01:23 PM
omg sweet thanks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

it will be while until i get to this phase of my movie creation but when i do i will use that method thanks!!
movies.blainesville.com
Top 25 Poster
Forum Moderator

Re: hey =) long question sorry &amp;gt;&amp;lt; wondering if wmm can do this...
Posted: 06 Jun 2006 01:50 PM
For the 4 images, I don't have a good answer. I can see making a transition that wipes up/down in that pattern, but it won't make the images slide in. Or you could do it as a series of PIP transitions, but I'm not seeing an easy way to do it as a single pass... perhaps a couple of slide effects with a compositing overlay...

Oh, this is rather complicated, but let me continue thinking. In the meantime, if anyone has some other ideas, please contribute...

Blaine
YouTube videos
movies.blainesville.com
Top 25 Poster
Forum Moderator

Re: hey =) long question sorry &amp;amp;gt;&amp;amp;lt; wondering if wmm can do this...
Posted: 06 Jun 2006 02:08 PM
I was hoping something like this would work, but it is only horizontal! It has exactly the right look.

Copy/paste this to Notepad and save in C:\Program Files\Movie Maker\Shared\AddOnTFX as slidepush4.xml

<Transitions>
<TransitionDLL guid="{D1C5A1E7-CC47-4E32-BDD2-4B3C5FC50AF5}">
<Transition name="Slide, Push 4 Bands" iconid="69" >
<Param name="Bands" value="4" />
<Param name="SlideStyle" value="Push" />
</Transition>
</TransitionDLL>
</Transitions>
</TransitionsAndEffects>

Restart WMM and you'll have a new transition called 'Slide, Push 4 Bands'. It's not correct because it goes horizontally, but it is so close! Oh well, back to the drawing board.

Blaine
YouTube videos
movies.blainesville.com
Top 25 Poster
Forum Moderator

Re: hey =) long question sorry &amp;amp;gt;&amp;amp;lt; wondering if wmm can do this...
Posted: 06 Jun 2006 03:09 PM
Here's a similar look, but with just a wipe, no sliding... again not what you are looking for, but close:

First you need to get this 4 bar gradient image. Right-click and save it in in C:\Program Files\Movie Maker\Shared\AddOnTFX as 4bars.png.

Next copy/paste the following code into Notepad and save in C:\Program Files\Movie Maker\Shared\AddOnTFX as 4bars.xml.

<Transitions>
<TransitionDLL guid="{DE75D012-7A65-11D2-8CEA-00A0C9441E20}" comment="DxtJpeg/SMPTE wipes">
<Transition name="Four Bars Wipe" iconid="50" comment="Four alternating bands">
<Param name="MaskName" value="C:\Program Files\Movie Maker\Shared\AddOnTFX\4bars.png" />
</Transition>
</TransitionDLL>
</Transitions>
</TransitionsAndEffects>

Restart and you'll have a new transition called "Four Bars Wipe".

Blaine
YouTube videos
PapaJohn is not online. Last active: 2/23/2015 2:43:58 PM PapaJohn
www.papajohn.org
Top 25 Poster
Forum Moderator
Total Posts: 13291

Posted: 06 Jun 2006 03:44 PM
Blaine, I tested your letterbox scrolling text xml code in my latest video doodle... thanks

video doodle

... my website isn't here... it's at www.papajohn.org

Posted: 06 Jun 2006 06:50 PM
awesome!!! i took a peek at PapaJohn's sample of your letterbox and it was PERFECT! that is exactly what i'm looking for there. awesomeeeeeee

ok and for the slide it seems you know exactly what im looking for, sweet =D that transition there would have been perfect had it been a slide, just like you said. it shouldnt be impossible to combine the 4 screenshots into 1, with the pictures dividing perfectly with the transition. that was exactly what i was looking for =))))))

woot! sweet!

thanks again for all of the help!!!!! awesome!!!!

movies.blainesville.com
Top 25 Poster
Forum Moderator

Posted: 06 Jun 2006 07:08 PM
Okay, my brain is dead now and I'm out of ideas for a one pass way to do this... I think I need a rest and for another pair of eyes to look at it. DLK? Rehan? Using PIP+ maybe?

Blaine
YouTube videos

Posted: 08 Jun 2006 03:19 AM
hi thanks again for all of the help so far =))))

i was testing out the letterbox that you made and i have a question =)))))) is there any way to make the text scroll by slightly faster?

anyways no worries if not, thanks!!!
PapaJohn is not online. Last active: 2/23/2015 2:43:58 PM PapaJohn
www.papajohn.org
Top 25 Poster
Forum Moderator
Total Posts: 13291

Posted: 08 Jun 2006 03:29 AM
the speed of the scrolling is determined by the duration you give it on the timeline... if you want it slightly faster, grab the right trim handle and pull the duration down by a bit.

... my website isn't here... it's at www.papajohn.org

Posted: 08 Jun 2006 05:39 AM
i <3 u guys =*)

Posted: 08 Jun 2006 05:50 AM
ok i tried out the 4 bar wipe just to see how it would look but something is not right

i dl'ed the previous file and saved it as png then saved the new transition as xml a couple times just to see if i was doing it wrong but the same problem occurs

when i preview the effect all i see is 2 second blackness, and when i try it out in a clip it just makes the rest of the clip a black screen while the music continues to play

><

i also checked out the 4 bar horizontal wipe and yes it is perfect minus the horizontal part XD XD

anyhoo thanks again!!! just wanted to keep you updated

oh ya i have grown fond of wmm now, other people have suggested vegas or adobe but it seems wmm has enough customization to bridge the gaps. the 4 bar wipe transition is a big thing for me hopefully i will find a perfect one. there is one more effect though that i hope to incorporate...

i would like a strobe light effect during the movie. basically lightning quick flashes of white in succession.

i tried to just add multiplate plain white images in the clip however the minimum time for a picture is .125 seconds and that is still too long to produce a good strobe effect. is there a way to reduce this minimum time?

thanks again =DDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDD
movies.blainesville.com
Top 25 Poster
Forum Moderator

Re: hey =) long question sorry &amp;amp;amp;amp;amp;gt;&amp;amp;amp;amp;amp;lt; wondering if wmm can do this...
Posted: 08 Jun 2006 12:15 PM
For the 4 Bar Wipe, make sure you have the .png with the right name (4bars.png) and in the right location. According to the XML it should be:
<Param name="MaskName" value="C:\Program Files\Movie Maker\Shared\AddOnTFX\4bars.png" />

If that doesn't work, try making it a relative path as follows:
<Param name="MaskName" value="AddOnTFX\4bars.png" />

Remember, to do any editing of an XML file, right-click and choose 'Open With...' and pick 'Notepad'.
For the white flickering, I know I've seen that before. The trick was to do a invert the colors, do a black flicker and then invert again... I'll see if I can find the post.

Edit: Found it! view post 54058

Blaine
YouTube videos

Re: hey =) long question sorry &amp;amp;amp;amp;amp;gt;&amp;amp;amp;amp;amp;lt; wondering if wmm can do this...
Posted: 08 Jun 2006 06:17 PM
sweet! got it to work thanks CG =D

now to try the flicker =PPPP

Posted: 08 Jun 2006 06:25 PM
omg awesome it works and now my head hurts from staring at the flicker so long O_O

btw is there an edit button? couldn't find one... i am making a lot of posts ><

thanks!

Posted: 09 Jun 2006 12:03 AM
=))))))))))))))) i think i found a way but there are some shortcomings of it XD

i am trying to think out of the box like you guys =)))))

ok so first i took the clip i wanted and turned it 270 degrees

then i added the horizontal slide you gave me =)

i saved the movie, and imported it in a new project

then i rotated it 90 degrees...

and walla! i had the ideal slide but...

problems: the far right and left of the clip had black bars

not sure how to fix this but i will play with the aspect ratios and maybe get somewhere.

but so far it is a step in the right direction =)))))

woot!
thanks!!!

Posted: 09 Jun 2006 12:09 AM
ok here is the best i've got so far (i am doing this with a random movie)

http://media.putfile.com/almost-4-bar-slide-vertical
movies.blainesville.com
Top 25 Poster
Forum Moderator

Posted: 09 Jun 2006 11:27 AM
That almost looks correct! What did you do?

Blaine
YouTube videos

Posted: 09 Jun 2006 12:57 PM
hehehehheheh hi CG ok that time i took a clip, turned it 270 degrees then added the horizontal 4 bar slide transition you gave me then i saved it =P

then after that i imported it in and turned the clip 90 degrees and it was back to the right position =))))

the problem with doing that though is i get black bars on every side of the clip from rotating it so many times but since i have the letterbox on top it looks like i only have black bars on the left and right

Posted: 09 Jun 2006 01:04 PM
i think once i get this transition down i am pretty much done with the theory behind my movie =( makes me kinda sad it was fun figuring out the new things from you guys =( =(

i still have to take footage of my movie which might take a while depending on how our guild does

but once i get the movie done i am gonna post it and i am gonna put you in the credits CG under special thanks =PPPPPPP
movies.blainesville.com
Top 25 Poster
Forum Moderator

Posted: 09 Jun 2006 02:29 PM
You could try to use VirtualDub to rotate the video by 90/270 degrees. I think it can rotate without adding black regions...

Blaine
YouTube videos
Previous Thread :: Next Thread 
Goto to page:  Prev Next

Movie Maker Forums  > Windows Movie Maker  > Getting Started with Windows Movie Maker  > Re: hey =) long question sorry &amp;amp;gt;&amp;amp;lt; wondering if wmm can do this...