[Lights, Camera, Action]

Home    Forums    Tutorials    Search    Books    Links 

Windows Movie Maker tips, tutorials, forums and more...

Windows Movie Maker Home   Search   Login   Register   Member List  
Windows Movie Maker  > Getting Started with Windows Movie Maker  > Re: Blaine...    
Previous Thread :: Next Thread 
 Author Thread: Blaine...
desilucy is not online. Last active: 4/1/2012 9:16:25 PM desilucy
www.desilucy.com
Top 25 Poster
Forum Moderator
Total Posts: 7019

Blaine...
Posted: 19 May 2006 09:21 PM
I was wondering in regards to Hit the Bongo's "Super TV" effect. Ever used it? I'm having trouble getting it to work. I've read his site and tried to email him, but the message got bounced. Must be in the way I've dnlded the files. I have them in the appro. folders, but no luck so far...
Thks,
Rich

Rich-Previous Microsoft Digital Media MVP
Having trouble with MM...check here: www.desilucy.com
Or here: www.papajohn.org
mimomoviemaker is not online. Last active: 6/20/2010 6:49:15 AM mimomoviemaker
Top 25 Poster
Total Posts: 1375

Re: Blaine...
Posted: 21 May 2006 01:52 PM
Where can you get theSuper TV Effect?
www.desilucy.com
Top 25 Poster
Forum Moderator

Posted: 21 May 2006 05:49 PM
MimoMM,
Hitthebongo site...
www.hitthebongo.co.uk/videofx
click on the PIP+fx

scroll down, you'll see it them about halfway down...

Really nice effects...just can't get mine to work...YET!
Need to actually spend some time to figure out why.lol

considerate_guy is not online. Last active: 8/7/2015 5:49:08 PM considerate_guy
movies.blainesville.com
Top 25 Poster
Forum Moderator
Total Posts: 24219

Posted: 21 May 2006 08:53 PM
For the PIP+ effects you need a registered version of Rehan's PIP+ package (www.rehanfx.org). If you don't have it, or if the trial version has expired, then you can't get these effects to work...

-=Blaine=-

Blaine
Movie Maker (Custom Titles, Effects. etc.)Cool
WMM 6.0 on Windows 7 or 8
YouTube videos
hitthebongo is not online. Last active: 10/29/2011 8:39:42 AM hitthebongo
www.hitthebongo.co.uk
Top 25 Poster
Total Posts: 1227

Posted: 22 May 2006 03:18 AM
Hello Desilucy.

As Blaine mentions - you must have pip+ installed for those particular effects to work. The effect is just a static overlay image so should work with just the free trial version of pip plus.

The effect actually requires two steps. One is to change the size and perspecive of the video to make it appear like a slanted screen , and the other is an overlay over the top. That means actioning two effects in the video effects menu. ...Lately I much prefer to publish an effect that requires just a single action on the part of the user - that way it completely eliminates (hopefully) any confusion!

For some reason (probably laziness) I never got round to making available an easy to install zip file for those particular effects. Over the next day or two I'll make one available on my site. I'll reply to this thread as soon as I've updated it.

Thanks for your interest in the site.

Al

www.hitthebongo.co.uk
Top 25 Poster

Posted: 22 May 2006 11:43 AM
I've rewritten and combined a couple of those so called supervision effects. I've also made it all available as a self installing zip.

I'll probably remove reference to it on my site as a pip+ effect at some time as it's really more of a technique than stand alone effect. It may however prove useful for people who wish to play around with the code and customise their own landscape pics for an effect - or maybe not !
Al
www.desilucy.com
Top 25 Poster
Forum Moderator

Posted: 22 May 2006 06:23 PM
Al, Blaine...

Hey thanks for the reply. I do have a registered version of the PIP+. I was just so consumed with my last project that I had downloaded those quickly (S-TV's), and hadn't spent the time yet to really figure out why they weren't working yet. They caught my eye and wanted to try them out in my next project that is coming up soon. Will check out the site later tonight. Since they are really more of a technique, it could be that I haven't really performed the process. I also need to check the xml for spaces and dashes(per the pers.poet girl)

Al- I really like your stuff. Was planning on using a couple of your background loops and the 9 piece puzzle effect along with some other fun stuff from kathy's site in this project too. You do nice work my friend! Thank you.

Blaine- is your blog up and running again? I'm like a sponge right now and trying to soak up as much info as I can. You impress me with your xml work and how quickly you can locate info and assist folks in the forums. Just getting my feet wet with xml. Spent time going thru Pa J's PIP tutorials this weekend...

Looking forward to when I can contribute more myself to the forum...

I did make a custom xml this weekend for the Adorage01_Modern effect to play a full clip within the frame if anyone is interested...

Rich

www.desilucy.com
Top 25 Poster
Forum Moderator

Posted: 22 May 2006 08:14 PM
Also, I tweaked Pa J's 720x480widescreen.xml and followed his tutorials on his site, www.papajohn.org, To give proper credit where it is due.

www.hitthebongo.co.uk
Top 25 Poster

Posted: 23 May 2006 02:07 AM
"I did make a custom xml this weekend for the Adorage01_Modern effect to play a full clip within the frame if anyone is interested." ...Don't be shy Rich - go for it !

Just to clarify - those supervision effects on my site do work as a standalone pip+ effect, but they really do benefit from having a rotation effect applied to the video to make it appear tilted. Anything that requires more than a single step or action I tend to class as a "Technique"...Anybody who is able to edit their own pics using somthing like the GIMP should be able to substitute my own holiday landscape pics if they want for somthing a bit more personal. Most holiday snaps have at least one landscape/horizon pic in them !

Your awesome words of support are much appreciated !

Cheers

Al

movies.blainesville.com
Top 25 Poster
Forum Moderator

Posted: 23 May 2006 03:14 AM
My blog is up http://movieblog.notlong.com but sometimes the notlong.com servers fail to redirect. Try using the direct link of http://movies.blainesville.com if that happens again. BTW, I'm a little behind in adding stuff to my movie maker blog...

-=Blaine=-

Blaine
YouTube videos
www.desilucy.com
Top 25 Poster
Forum Moderator

Posted: 24 May 2006 03:10 PM
Here is the code for the Adorage01_Modern effect that will play a full clip within the frame of the TV:

<TransitionsAndEffects Version="1.0">
<Transitions>
<TransitionDLL guid="{BB44391D-6ABD-422f-9E2E-385C9DFF51FC}">
<Transition name="adorage01ModernPIPfull" iconid="88">
<Param name="SrcOffsetX" value="0" />
<Param name="SrcOffsetY" value="0" />
<Param name="SrcWidth" value="720" />
<Param name="SrcHeight" value="480" />
<Param name="OffsetX" value="46" />
<Param name="OffsetY" value="67" />
<Param name="Width" value="462" />
<Param name="Height" value="335" />
</Transition>
</TransitionDLL>
</Transitions>
</TransitionsAndEffects>

This is my first attempt at custom xml, so feel free to be abusive...LoL.
Try using two small clips to start so you can see the result.
For clarity sake...
Place your two clips on the time line, then place this Transition between them. Render out. Reimport the new clip back into MM2 and apply the Adorage01_Modern Effect to the clip.
If you don't apply the Effect, you will see the position of the embedded clip is just slightly larger than the screen of the TV. I had to compensate on the pixel locations to accomodate for my lack of xml abilities. The application of the effect will essentially remask the TV, so there will only be minimal clipping of your original embedded clip.

If anyone would like to tweak the code further to allow for the angle of the TV, please do. At that point it would not be necessary to apply the Effect to the new movie post rendering.

Let me know what you think...I have broad shoulders, I can take it...

Rich

movies.blainesville.com
Top 25 Poster
Forum Moderator

Posted: 24 May 2006 05:24 PM
One caveat of trying to do PIP with this Compositor class is that it uses absolute coordinates (you've picked coordinates geared toward 640x480 output). As a result, users won't be able to preview the transition or see it in the preview window when applied to their clips. At least, I wasn't able to.

-=Blaine=-

Blaine
YouTube videos
www.desilucy.com
Top 25 Poster
Forum Moderator

Posted: 24 May 2006 09:10 PM
Blaine,

Ok...some of your response went over my head regarding coordinates. I followed Pa J's tutorials. "...Render on faith, it'll be there...". Hence, the small explanation at the end. What would I need to do to change/revamp to make it previewable? Or is that not possible? I know the user would need to have the Adorage01 pkg to even consider using it. Should I have noted at least that in the post?
Thanks a bunch for your input!

Rich
By coordinates, do you mean pixel locations within the bmp? Sorry for the xml newb questions...

www.hitthebongo.co.uk
Top 25 Poster

Posted: 25 May 2006 02:50 AM
I don't think I've ever really played around with PIP so wasn't aware of any potential problems. Is it possible to express the co-ordinates as a ratio instead of the overlay image instead ? I'm learning somthing myself here - I'd better double check that some of my old posts don't fall foul of this problem !

Another way of achieving the same result Rich would be to "borrow" the Adorage modern picture (its tucked away in one of the adorage folders) and use it as the basis for an overlay in a custom title. The image would need to be modified in a picture editor (GIMP maybe) to remove the black screen and make it transparrent and saved as a png image. The video part of the title can be re-sized and placed anywhere in the title as well to get the correct position and dimensions. The convenient thing with this approach would be that you could render the whole video in one pass.

An example demonstrates the idea much better. I used the same method on this paper title I did sometime back here

Keep at it

Al
www.hitthebongo.co.uk
Top 25 Poster

Posted: 25 May 2006 02:53 AM
Is it possible to express the co-ordinates as a ratio instead of the overlay image instead ?

Should of read:

Is it possible to express the co-ordinates as a ratio instead of absolute values to make evereything align ?
movies.blainesville.com
Top 25 Poster
Forum Moderator

Posted: 25 May 2006 12:24 PM
You can read more about the DirectX Transition Compositor class but the short answer is "no". The coordinates are all absolute pixel references. The comments on PapaJohn's pages note that there is this side effect where you can't preview. I suppose you could if you based everything on a 320x240 screen and that was your final output size...

This was the "old" way of doing PIP effects. Rehan's PIP+ package is a lot more robust and allows for coordinates based on ratios of the full screen. Internally he probably still has to do the math to get to absolute pixels, but it makes for effects/transitions that can be previewed as well as rendered in the final movie.

-=Blaine=-

Blaine
YouTube videos
www.desilucy.com
Top 25 Poster
Forum Moderator

Posted: 25 May 2006 01:31 PM
Al and Blaine,

Thanks for the input! I will explore the Compositor class link you provided.

Learn by doing...ask for input from the experts...try again...bore the crap out of the experts with questions...

My goal> bore the crap outta ya till I get 'r done. LOL

I'll look at Rehan's package also now. Baby steps.
Rich

www.desilucy.com
Top 25 Poster
Forum Moderator

Posted: 25 May 2006 01:48 PM
Is GIMP comparable to Paint.net and Irfanview with respect to setting the transparency color?
My thought is this...Instead of using two programs to create a Png, will GIMP be more of a one step program as opposed to two? I obviously do not have Gimp but am now curious. I understand it is a free download? Don't necessarily want to utilize system memory if it isn't a "replacement" for Paint.net and Irfanview. I'll google it and see what comes up.
Rich

www.hitthebongo.co.uk
Top 25 Poster

Posted: 25 May 2006 02:36 PM
your not boring the crap out of me ! ...Watching Big Brother live does that For me...

GIMP is very sophisticated and is extremely well supported by a very mature community. Once you get used to the basics it becomes a breeze...I highly recommend it !

www.hitthebongo.co.uk
Top 25 Poster

Posted: 25 May 2006 02:40 PM
BTW ..GIMP does compare to Paint.net in the job it does but I'll let you decide which you think is the better - they're both free so which ever way you cut it , it's a win / win situation !

Al
www.desilucy.com
Top 25 Poster
Forum Moderator

Posted: 25 May 2006 02:48 PM
Al,
Just spent some time looking over the Gimp site. Looks pretty interesting I must say. Seems similar to Paint.net but also seems more advanced. Is that your impressions as a comparison between the two?

...Big Brother live?!?!... I'd have to be tied up and the batteries removed from the ol' remote!
Please tell me you don't watch something like Golden Girls as an alternative! LOL!!!

Rich

www.hitthebongo.co.uk
Top 25 Poster

Posted: 25 May 2006 03:02 PM
My own opinion is that it is more advanced. There is a learning curve involved however so you can only really discover if it's right for yourself by playing with it.

This post refers.
www.desilucy.com
Top 25 Poster
Forum Moderator

Posted: 25 May 2006 03:03 PM
Al,
I was reading the download section. It says "unless you are experienced with building software from source, you should wait until binary pkgs become available". I definitely do not possess that experience. I'm just starting to play with xml. Not even writing my own, just tweaking what I see and have. Do you think that gimp is over my head in terms of technical?
The compiling of download has me gun-shy.
Thoughts?

Rich
This came from the official site.

www.hitthebongo.co.uk
Top 25 Poster

Posted: 25 May 2006 03:32 PM
Go here and download the GTK+ 2 Runtime Environment (version 2.8.9, for Windows 2000 and newer; updated installer (I'm assuming it's Windows xp is your op system) and also download The GIMP for Windows (version 2.2.11)

When done install the GTK run environment first and then afterwards install the GIMP for windows.

It's Easy Peasy !....GIMP is opensource so you may have stumbled upon source code installations meant for programmers.

Al
www.desilucy.com
Top 25 Poster
Forum Moderator

Posted: 25 May 2006 04:08 PM
Al,

Thanks for the info. Now have it. Will try to carve out some time this holiday weekend to experiment with it. Looks pretty darn interesting! Looking forward to it...

Rich

Previous Thread :: Next Thread 
Goto to page:  Prev Next

Movie Maker Forums  > Windows Movie Maker  > Getting Started with Windows Movie Maker  > Re: Blaine...