[Lights, Camera, Action]

Home    Forums    Tutorials    Search    Books    Links 

Windows Movie Maker tips, tutorials, forums and more...

Windows Movie Maker Home   Search   Login   Register   Member List  
Windows Movie Maker  > Technical Support  > Re: Altering Aspect Ratios Mid-Movie    
Previous Thread :: Next Thread 
 Author Thread: Altering Aspect Ratios Mid-Movie
MPalmz is not online. Last active: 5/23/2006 1:21:26 AM MPalmz
Total Posts: 3

Altering Aspect Ratios Mid-Movie
Posted: 22 May 2006 11:40 AM
I've tried to use the search function to find answers to this problem, with no luck. Forgive me if this has already been discussed and I simply didn't search hard enough.

I need to find a way to use 4:3 footage and 16:9 footage in the same movie without stretching or compressing the picture. Ideally I'd like to take the footage that is 4:3 and stick it in the middle of the 16:9 frame, leaving black bars on the sides. The movie I'm trying to create is going to incorporate stills in the way of a slide show, which will also be 4:3.

I'm creating a sentimental movie for my extended family who all were on a Caribbean cruise together. I'm using footage from different cameras hense the various aspect ratios. I should also say that the movie will be burned to DVD and incorporate seperate audio/music tracks that will need to be overlapped with the footage audio. I'll also need to be able to mute and unmute audio from certain portions of clips with some kind of fade/unfade (not immediate cutting off of the sound and immediate resumeing of the sound). Can this all be done with Movie maker 2.0? I don't have 2.1 and can't upgrade due to my TinyXP OS.

You can probably tell I've already tried doing this with MovieMaker 2.0 and had no success. I'm thinking about jumping up to a Sony Vegas Movie Studio or even Adobe Premiere Pro 2.0. I would like to stick with Movie Maker because it devides imported media into clips whereas the others seem to work with trimmers and you have to create your clips manually.

considerate_guy is not online. Last active: 8/7/2015 5:49:08 PM considerate_guy
movies.blainesville.com
Top 25 Poster
Forum Moderator
Total Posts: 24219

Re: Altering Aspect Ratios Mid-Movie
Posted: 22 May 2006 02:10 PM
You can easily do this with some custom XML. One way would be to use Rehan's PIP+ package and create a couple effects that resize the video... that would be easy to do and should work even after the trial period expires.

The alternate method would be to create custom "titles". Now these aren't really titles, but are applied on your clips as if they were. Here's what you need to do:

1) First make sure you have a C:\Program Files\Movie Maker\Shared\AddOnTFX folder. If not create it.
2) Open Notepad (Start > All Programs > Accessories > Notepad) and copy the following code.

<TransitionsAndEffects Version="1.0">
<Titles>
<TitleDLL guid="{353359C1-39E1-491b-9951-464FD8AB071C}">
<Title name="Resize to Letter Box" iconid="13">
<Param name="InternalName" value="TitleStandard" />
<Param name="Description" value="Converts 16:9 video into letterboxed 4:3" />
<Param name="MainVideoRect" value="0.0 0.125 1.0 0.75" />
<Param name="BackgroundColor1" value="#FF000000" />
<Paragraph>
<Param name="Text" value=" " />
</Paragraph>
</Title>
<Title name="Resize to Window Box" iconid="13">
<Param name="Description" value="Converts 4:3 video into windowboxed 16:9" />
<Param name="MainVideoRect" value="0.125 0.0 0.75 1.0" />
<Paragraph>
</Paragraph>
</Title>
</TitleDLL>
</Titles>
</TransitionsAndEffects>

Save this as resizer.xml in the C:\Program Files\Movie Maker\Shared\AddOnTFX folder.

Now when you restart Windows Movie Maker you'll have two new 'title animations' called:
'Resize to Letter Box' and 'Resize to Window Box'.

To use either of them, go to Tools > Titles & Credits. Choose to place the title on the selected clip. Next click 'Change title animation' and look under One Line Titles. Pick the appropriate resize. Then click 'Done'.

You probably will need to then scroll down to your 'Title Overlay' track and extend the length of the title so it covers the whole clip. But once you do, then your clip will be letterboxed or windowboxed accordingly.

Note: The 'Resize to Letter Box' is intended to be used if you are making a 4:3 project and want to letterbox your 16:9 clips. In your case it sounds like you are doing a 16:9 project and want to windowbox your 4:3 clips, so use the 'Resize to Window Box'. Mixing the two up will either make everyone really wide or really tall rather than the correct aspect ratio.

Hope this helps.

-=Blaine=-

Blaine
Movie Maker (Custom Titles, Effects. etc.)Cool
WMM 6.0 on Windows 7 or 8
YouTube videos
movies.blainesville.com
Top 25 Poster
Forum Moderator

Posted: 22 May 2006 02:36 PM
Okay, here's how to do it as PIP+ effects. First you'll need Rehan's PIP+ package (www.rehanfx.org). Download and install that first.

Next, copy/paste the following code into Notepad and save as pipresizer.xml in C:\Program Files\Movie Maker\Shared\AddOnTFX

<Effects>
<EffectDLL guid="{0BEDE179-3361-4eea-9058-11CBB1739D50}">
<Effect name="PIP+ Resize to Letterbox" iconid="33" comment="Converts 16:9 video into letterboxed 4:3">
<Param name="RectA" value="0.0, 0.0,0.125,1.0,0.75" />
<Param name="Background" value="black" />
</Effect>
<Effect name="PIP+ Resize to Windowbox" iconid="33" comment="Converts 4:3 video into windowboxed 16:9">
<Param name="RectA" value="0.0, 0.125,0.0,0.75,1.0" />
<Param name="Background" value="black" />
</Effect>
</EffectDLL>
</Effects>
</TransitionsAndEffects>

When you are done (and you restart Windows Movie Maker) you'll have two new effects that you can apply to your video. The advantage to this method is it automatically applies to the whole clip to which it is applied, will allow other effects to be added and doesn't prevent you from adding titles to the video.

-=Blaine=-

Blaine
YouTube videos

Posted: 22 May 2006 04:16 PM
Blaine,

You tha man. I'm going to give that a go. Thanks.
movies.blainesville.com
Top 25 Poster
Forum Moderator

Posted: 22 May 2006 06:05 PM
For fade in/fade out of sound, you can do that today in WMM (even version 2.0). But it is a limited fade of around a second. You can make it fade in the middle of a clip by splitting it, then applying a fade out. And if you want more of a fade, you can overlap the sound with an empty clip of sound for as long as you need...

Not sure if is exactly what you were asking about audio fades, but it might get you to what you need.

-=Blaine=-

Blaine
YouTube videos

Posted: 22 May 2006 11:31 PM
This has all been awesome. I feel like I'm getting the most out of movie maker with all of these tips and tricks. I think that the sound editing is what is really being inhibitted for me with Movie Maker versus more complex editors. Movie Maker makes it so easy to make a movie just as high quality as some of the entry-level editors you actually have to buy and I love that, but without the audio flexibility I just can't stick with it for this project. You see I need to be able to fade out a sound (music) to a few decibles about silence, so that you can still hear it but the voices from the main audio track are still more prevelant, then fade the main audio track to zero and bring the music sound gently back up from it's low volume. Is there a way to do that?
movies.blainesville.com
Top 25 Poster
Forum Moderator

Posted: 23 May 2006 02:45 AM
You can set the volume of individual clips using 'Clip' > 'Audio' > 'Volume' but it isn't easy to get a gentle ramp up/down to that volume. You can try editing your audio in something like Audacity and then importing it into WMM, but otherwise I'm lost for suggestions. Anyone else?

-=Blaine=-

Blaine
YouTube videos
PapaJohn is not online. Last active: 2/23/2015 2:43:58 PM PapaJohn
www.papajohn.org
Top 25 Poster
Forum Moderator
Total Posts: 13291

Posted: 23 May 2006 03:38 AM
add 'silent' clips and overlap them with the others... to ramp the audio up or down... a silent clip is any audio clip that is muted.

if you need to do it for the video track's audio, put a second copy of the clips on the audio/music track and do the same thing with the silent clip(s)... mute the audio associated with the video track and use the other audio track as the main one.

You'll need to make multiple rendering passes if you also want to have music in the project.

Overlapping an audio clip with a silent one ramps the audio down or up linearly over the duration of the overlap.

... my website isn't here... it's at www.papajohn.org
movies.blainesville.com
Top 25 Poster
Forum Moderator

Posted: 14 May 2007 06:35 PM
Edit The following version adds additional options for cropping.

You can easily do this with some custom XML. One way would be to use Rehan's PIP+ package and create a couple effects that resize the video... that would be easy to do and should work even after the trial period expires.

The alternate method would be to create custom "titles". Now these aren't really titles, but are applied on your clips as if they were. Here's what you need to do:

1) First make sure you have a C:\Program Files\Movie Maker\Shared\AddOnTFX folder. If not create it.
2) Open Notepad (Start > All Programs > Accessories > Notepad) and copy the following code.

<Titles>
<TitleDLL guid="{353359C1-39E1-491b-9951-464FD8AB071C}">
<Title name="Resize to Letter Box" iconid="13">
<Param name="Description" value="Converts 16:9 video into letterboxed 4:3" />
<Param name="MainVideoRect" value="0.0 0.125 1.0 0.75" />
<Paragraph>
</Paragraph>
</Title>
<Title name="Resize to Window Box" iconid="13">
<Param name="Description" value="Converts 4:3 video into windowboxed 16:9" />
<Param name="MainVideoRect" value="0.125 0.0 0.75 1.0" />
<Paragraph>
</Paragraph>
</Title>
<Title name="Resize 4:3 to 16:9 (cropping top/bottom)" iconid="13">
<Param name="Description" value="Crops 4:3 so it appears correctly in 16:9" />
<Param name="MainVideoRect" value="0.0 -0.1667 1.0 1.1667" />
<Paragraph>
</Paragraph>
</Title>
<Title name="Resize 16:9 to 4:3 (cropping left/right)" iconid="13">
<Param name="Description" value="Crops 16:9 so it appears correctly in 4:3" />
<Param name="MainVideoRect" value="-0.1667 0.0 1.1667 1.0" />
<Paragraph>
</Paragraph>
</Title>
</TitleDLL>
</Titles>
</TransitionsAndEffects>

Save this as resizer.xml in the C:\Program Files\Movie Maker\Shared\AddOnTFX folder.

Now when you restart Windows Movie Maker you'll have four new 'title animations' called:
'Resize to Letter Box', 'Resize to Window Box', 'Resize 4:3 to 16:9', and 'Resize 16:9 to 4:3'.

To use them, go to Tools > Titles & Credits. Choose to place the title on the selected clip. Next click 'Change title animation' and look under One Line Titles. Pick the appropriate resize. Then click 'Done'.

You probably will need to then scroll down to your 'Title Overlay' track and extend the length of the title so it covers the whole clip. But once you do, then your clip will be letterboxed or windowboxed accordingly.

Note: The 'Resize to Letter Box' is intended to be used if you are making a 4:3 project and want to letterbox your 16:9 clips. The other option is 'Resize 16:9 to 4:3' which crop the left and right.

The corresponding effects for a 16:9 project are 'Resize to Window Box' and 'Resize 4:3 to 16:9'. The first keeps the whole picture in a window box, the second one crops the picture to fit in a 16:9 frame.

Mixing up the aspect ratios will either make everyone really wide or really tall rather than the correct aspect ratio.

Hope this helps.

Blaine
YouTube videos
paddy is not online. Last active: 7/1/2009 1:03:57 PM paddy
Top 50 Poster
Total Posts: 350

Posted: 15 May 2007 06:23 PM
Hi Blaine...Maybe its me but i have saved the above to notepad..add-on folder etc but when i open MM i only see the first two titles in the options Resize to letterbox and resize to Window box.....which i already had but i wanted the other 2 that you have created... have i gone wrong somewhere.( another senior moment lol)
Paddy
movies.blainesville.com
Top 25 Poster
Forum Moderator

Posted: 21 May 2007 05:21 PM
My apologies... I had inadvertently duplicated the TitleDLL lines when I was copying and pasting. I fixed the XML code above and now it should work.

Blaine
YouTube videos
paddy is not online. Last active: 7/1/2009 1:03:57 PM paddy
Top 50 Poster
Total Posts: 350

Posted: 22 May 2007 06:35 AM
Thanks Blaine...Works perfectly now..
Paddy
WorkingFilms is not online. Last active: 6/26/2007 5:47:37 AM WorkingFilms
www.freewebs.com
Total Posts: 15

Posted: 24 Jun 2007 11:56 PM
Hey Blaine,
I have the title one working properly, but when I try the PIP+ one (yes, I do have PIP+) the effect isn't in the list. Can you tell me what's wrong please?

Shlomo62 is not online. Last active: 4/11/2012 8:30:31 AM Shlomo62

Posted: 19 Mar 2012 10:19 AM
I tried to create the "resizer" on the latest WMM 2.1.4028.0 and the new "title animations" do not appear after restart. Does this XML suppose to run also under the latest WMM version or does it need to be somehow addapted?

Also the posts here are from 2006. Is there now in 3/2012 a better way to take a 4:3 footage and stick it in the middle of 16:9 frame?
movies.blainesville.com
Top 25 Poster
Forum Moderator

Posted: 19 Mar 2012 02:31 PM
This is for WMM 2.x (WMM 2.1 or WMM 2.6).
There's a similar solution for WMM 6.0 (view post 126998)

There is nothing for WLMM (Windows Live Movie Maker 2011). Microsoft has not published any specs on the rendering architecture in WLMM 2011 to allow for customization.

The good news is you can install WMM 6.0 on Windows 7 (see my signature) and it can coexist with WLMM 2011. You can choose which one to used based on the needs of your project.

Blaine
YouTube videos
movies.blainesville.com
Top 25 Poster
Forum Moderator

Posted: 19 Mar 2012 02:35 PM
If you are running WMM 2.1 on XP, then the titles animations should appear. Make sure you followed all the steps (for example, you must save as an .xml file; make sure you aren't accidentally saving as a .txt file).

Blaine
YouTube videos
Shlomo62 is not online. Last active: 4/11/2012 8:30:31 AM Shlomo62

Posted: 19 Mar 2012 04:22 PM
many thanks it's working now!
colinfisher is not online. Last active: 10/26/2012 6:21:09 PM colinfisher
Total Posts: 1

Posted: 05 Oct 2012 01:09 PM
I just came across this forum for the first time, in search of an answer to this very topic. Worked perfectly, thank you so much! I've just been using Movie Maker "out of the box" this whole time so my mind is a little blown at the potential I'm seeing here.
movies.blainesville.com
Top 25 Poster
Forum Moderator

Posted: 05 Oct 2012 01:21 PM
I'm curious which version of Movie Maker you have? Is it the XP version (WMM 2.x) or the Vista version (WMM 6.0). The details can be found by going to Help > About Movie Maker and reading the numbers at the bottom of the dialog.

Blaine
YouTube videos
Previous Thread :: Next Thread 
Goto to page:  Prev Next

Movie Maker Forums  > Windows Movie Maker  > Technical Support  > Re: Altering Aspect Ratios Mid-Movie