[Lights, Camera, Action]

Home    Forums    Tutorials    Search    Books    Links 

Windows Movie Maker tips, tutorials, forums and more...

Windows Movie Maker Home   Search   Login   Register   Member List  
Windows Movie Maker  > Music, Narration, and Sound  > Re: Finally – a working solution for the "Audio Jumps"    
Previous Thread :: Next Thread 
 Author Thread: Finally – a working solution for the "Audio Jumps"
ido is not online. Last active: 9/9/2004 2:10:37 PM ido
Total Posts: 2

Finally – a working solution for the "Audio Jumps"
Posted: 30 Aug 2004 05:18 AM
Finnaly there's a working solution for those who have audio jumps in Movie Maker.
Also I found the solution for those who get "metallic sound" when processing DV content.

OK let's begin first with the audio jumps:
This only occurs when you add another audio stream to your movie using mp3/wav/wma etc' files, and then encode the movie to DV/AVI.
To solve the problem you have to put an effect on every "frame" on the storyboard.
Because I guess you don't want to destroy your movie with cheap effects, I created an effect that does nothing – but after you encode your video to DV/AVI, you won't hear any audio defects and of course, you won't see any changes to your video.
(I used the brightness effect set to 0 – that means no change).

Download this XML file:
http://members.lycos.co.uk/plnd3/mm2/audiofix.xml (right click -> Save target as)

Put it in your "movie maker folder"/hex number/AddOnTFX.
(for example – in my computer: C:\Program Files\Movie Maker\1033\AddOnTFX)
And in the shared/AddOnTFX folder
(C:\Program Files\Movie Maker\Shared\AddOnTFX)

In the next start of movie maker you'll see a new effect (in the effects list) called AudioFix. Just drug it to each "frame" in the storyboard that has no effects already.

*I have tested it on various computers, all of them with WinXP + SP2 using wav files as audio format – works great.

2. How to solve the metallic sound problem.
This problem only occurs when you use a 44100 Hz audio files instead of 48000, just use an audio encoder to up-sample your files from 44100 to 48000 (when movie maker do it – you get the metallic sound)
*I used SoundForge 6

Sorry for my bad English,

Ido
ido is not online. Last active: 9/9/2004 2:10:37 PM ido
Total Posts: 2

Re: Finally – a working solution for the "Audio Jumps"
Posted: 30 Aug 2004 05:21 AM
the link isn't working, just copy this:

<TransitionsAndEffects Version="1.0">
<Effects>
<EffectDLL guid="{E673DCF2-C316-4c6f-AA96-4E4DC6DC291E}" >

<Effect name="AudioFix" iconid="14" comment="Graphic Pen">
<Param name="Brightness" value="0" />
</Effect>

</EffectDLL>
</Effects>

</TransitionsAndEffects>

and paste it in notepad, then save as .xml.
Kevin is not online. Last active: 3/11/2005 12:39:49 AM Kevin
www.hyannispoint.com
Top 100 Poster
Total Posts: 26

Posted: 26 Sep 2004 05:08 PM
Another work around that I have documented at http://www.hyannispoint.com/video/moviemaker_skipping_audio.asp as well as posted multiple places in this forum, is to two a two pass encoding.

First save the movie in WMV format and then load the result into a new project. Write the new project out to DV-AVI.

The "pops" only seem to happen when writing out to DV format when using transitions.
PopTart is not online. Last active: 5/29/2007 12:54:17 PM PopTart
Total Posts: 1

Posted: 09 Oct 2004 08:39 PM
Thank you so much for posting this solution! I have been soooooo frustrated in dealing with this problem when creating home movie/slide show projects. I was finally beginning to resign myself to not being able to save in DV-AVI, and losing the video quality as a result. But after following your instructions and adding the Audio Fix...TAAA DAAA, PROBLEM SOLVED!

Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! You have really made my day!

~ PopTart
Hogan is not online. Last active: 8/29/2005 6:12:28 PM Hogan
Top 100 Poster
Total Posts: 15

Posted: 15 Nov 2004 10:52 AM
I've also had success with the suggestion of saving the audio only portion into a "movie" (actually MM2 creates a .wma audio file) and then match that clip up with a rendered video for the final saving of a movie. Might be similar to what is mentioned above. This has helped me get rid of the "pops" between clips, but I still am frustrated that MM2 seems to degrade the sound quality when saving the final movie (seems to happen more when saving to DVI-AVI??? but I cant be sure). I will try the upsampling khz rate in Goldwave to see if that works -- crossing my fingers although with MM2 I am less than optimistic.
renny211 is not online. Last active: 12/17/2004 5:27:36 PM renny211
Total Posts: 1

Posted: 14 Dec 2004 04:01 PM
I was having problems finding where to place the XML files in the moviemaker folder. I put one copy of it in the shared folder, but i can't find where to put the other copy that goes in the the hex number folder. The only folders are shared and MUI. Inside of the MUI is another folder folder named 0409. I tried putting the file in there and the effect still didnt show up on moviemaker.

Thanks
packersfan8585 is not online. Last active: 1/12/2010 4:22:07 PM packersfan8585
Total Posts: 4

Posted: 03 Jan 2010 01:09 PM
wait so it only works after u publish it?
BrainChampagne is not online. Last active: 3/9/2010 12:38:13 AM BrainChampagne
Total Posts: 58

Posted: 10 Jan 2010 01:47 PM
Does anybody know if this means you have to add an effect to EVERY frame of the entire video? Or just the two around where the jump occurs?
Previous Thread :: Next Thread 
Goto to page:  Prev Next

Movie Maker Forums  > Windows Movie Maker  > Music, Narration, and Sound  > Re: Finally – a working solution for the "Audio Jumps"