[Lights, Camera, Action]

Home    Forums    Tutorials    Search    Books    Links 

Windows Movie Maker tips, tutorials, forums and more...

Windows Movie Maker Home   Search   Login   Register   Member List  
Windows Movie Maker  > Capturing and Importing Media  > Re: What about picture height?    
Previous Thread :: Next Thread 
 Author Thread: What about picture height?
Midella is not online. Last active: 12/11/2006 2:18:06 AM Midella
Total Posts: 32

What about picture height?
Posted: 18 Apr 2006 02:39 AM
Hi all, I have a weird problem:

If I import an own-made picture (created within Paint Shop Pro8), or a downloaded picture, and I go all the way to create a dvd from it, the top of the picture is not shown on my tv. Only a few pixels are missing but it is disturbing. When viewing the movie on my pc it looks fine. So you would suppose my tv is the problem. However, if I burn the picture on a dvd and show it as a .jpg on my tv it looks fine, and now comes the freaky part: I have never had this problem with the .jpg-files I made with my camera. I checked the file measurements with several programs, and the outcome is that a camera-picture (1024x768, resolution 72) is shown correctly on my tv, and an ownmade picture (also 1024x768, resolution 72) is not shown correctly. I am facing this problem now for a few days, changing settings, burning with different programs, nothing helps. Last night however I found a solution. If a change the ratio between width and height from 1,33 (4:3) into 1,51 the picture is shown completely! The picture size is now something like 1024x678.

So here's my question: is anyone familiar with this problem? What causes it and are there more solutions to work around this? I will check tonight whether the problem exists with normal pictures, but if it does than I must have been blind that I have never noticed it before! If not I cannot explain it!

To be complete the text below will describe what I did:
I made a calender (1 month) within Word, copied it via print screen and pasted it into a new file within Paint Shop Pro 8. Everything looks fine. I imported it into MM2.0, and the preview looks fine. I create a movie (tried .wmv, .avi) and it plays correctly in Nero showtime and the Mediaplayer. When I create a dvd it looks fine in Nero Showtime. But if I play it on my tv the top of the picture (name of the month) is shown only half, the upper half is outside the screen. I have changed the settings from 4:3 to 16:9, changed the setting from PAL to NTSC, changed the picture size from 1024x768 to 640x480, burned an avi, wmv, nothing changed.

Thanx for anyone taking the time to read this story and helping me with it.
considerate_guy is not online. Last active: 8/7/2015 5:49:08 PM considerate_guy
movies.blainesville.com
Top 25 Poster
Forum Moderator
Total Posts: 24219

Re: What about picture height?
Posted: 18 Apr 2006 02:30 PM
This is the result of overscan where a movie or TV signal ends up behind the bezel of your TV. If you look at your computer monitor, you can see the black border around the picture and can see the whole image. If you look at your TV, you'll see no border as the picture extends beyond the bezel.

My digital camera (and yours too) will compensate for this overscan by shrinking the picture so it is surrounded by a black border. You've sort of done that already by making the picture wider than a 4:3 aspect ratio. If you play this on your computer, you'll notice more of a black border top and bottom, but on the TV the black border will allow you to see the picture inside the scan area. You may not be able to still see the left and right sides of the picture however.

This was discussed in another thread (view post 51039). In there, there was mention of a custom effect (Zoom Out 5%) that could be used on your whole movie, or on individual pictures so that they added a black border on all sides.

If you have more questions, post back here.

-=Blaine=-

Blaine
Movie Maker (Custom Titles, Effects. etc.)Cool
WMM 6.0 on Windows 7 or 8
YouTube videos

Posted: 19 Apr 2006 08:34 AM
Thanx a lot!
I am having the same feeling that Almaza had in the other post. For a problem like this you know there will be a solution but just don't see it. It is great to have forums like these and contributors like Blaine, PapaJohn and Rehan!

Still I would like to discuss the following:
I understand the idea of overscan, but since the amount of overscan may vary per tv, how come that a "normal" dvd looks fine on every tv?
An even bigger question is why is the picture I am having trouble with displayed perfectly when I do not import it into WMM but let my dvd-player display the .jpg-file? It seems to me that either WMM does someting with the file or my dvd-player handles a dvd different from a picture cd?

Last year I created a holiday movie only with pictures and titles, so no own made .jpg-files. I played this video a number of times, friends of ours also, and I never noticed anything strange. My opinion is that I would have seen it if the pictures were not shown completely. We got a different tv since last year, so maybe our new tv has more overscan Even so, I played the old dvd on our new (it's still an old tv btw) tv and again I can't see anything strange.
Tonight I will check whether the pictures taken with my camera are also cropped, but I doubt it.
Also I will play with the zooming and pasting the image into a larger one which will generate a black border. Tomorrow I will post the result.

Again, thanx a lot for the quick and clear help!

Midella
movies.blainesville.com
Top 25 Poster
Forum Moderator

Posted: 19 Apr 2006 09:22 PM
Generally movie makers will aim to keep the action and any titles or logos within the "safe area" leaving about a 10% buffer on each side, that's why you don't notice any problems with DVDs. And your DVD player probably compensates on a Picture CD by shrinking the pictures slightly. I find myself leaving just a little more room around the subjects of my picture or my video, just for this reason.

-=Blaine=-

Blaine
YouTube videos

Posted: 20 Apr 2006 02:15 AM
Ok, it makes sense what you are saying (ofcourse it doesWink) about the normal dvd's, it's funny that I've never realised it. Also, I use to put my subject in the middle of the picture so that gives a safe area automatically. And that's probably the reason why I never saw it.

Last night I copied my calender image and put it on a 5% bigger image which was all black. And guess what? It looks brilliant! It will take some time to do this with all of my own-made pictures but it works and that's the important thing. Actually I am wondering now why I never got the idea to do it this way?? I checked some normal pictures and the overscan is also there, now that I know it I see it.

I am very happy that this problem has been solved, I was walking around with it for more than a week, couldn't understand it and couldn't solve it. I guess without this forum there wouldn't be a calender in my movie :-).

Midella
movies.blainesville.com
Top 25 Poster
Forum Moderator

Posted: 20 Apr 2006 12:35 PM
If you don't want to have to manually edit each of your pictures where you want the black border, use Rehan's custom 'Zoom Out 5%' effect.

Copy the xml code below into Notepad (Start > All Programs > Accessories Notepad) and Save as zoomout.xml in folder C:\Program Files\Movie Maker\Shared\AddOnTFX. Create the AddOnTFX folder if necessary.

<TransitionsAndEffects Version="1.0" >
<Effects>
<EffectDLL guid="{B4DC8DD9-2CC1-4081-9B2B-20D7030234EF}">
<Effect name="Zoom Out 5%" iconid="33">
<Param name="InternalName" value="Simple3D" />
<Param name="ScaleA" value="0.95" />
<Param name="InitialScaleA" value="0.95" />
</Effect>
</EffectDLL>
</Effects>
</TransitionsAndEffects>

You must restart WMM after saving the custom XML. When WMM restarts, you will have a new 'Zoom Out 5%' effect that you can apply to individual pictures where you need to see all the edges, or even to the whole movie.

-=Blaine=-

Blaine
YouTube videos
movies.blainesville.com
Top 25 Poster
Forum Moderator

Posted: 20 Apr 2006 12:36 PM
And if you need it smaller for your particular TV, just change the ScaleA and InitialScaleA parameters to be smaller (0.95 = 95% of original, 0.90 = 90% of original, etc.) Here's a file that has Zoom Out effects for 3 different sizes.

<TransitionsAndEffects Version="1.0" >
<Effects>
<EffectDLL guid="{B4DC8DD9-2CC1-4081-9B2B-20D7030234EF}">
<Effect name="Zoom Out 5%" iconid="33">
<Param name="ScaleA" value="0.95" />
<Param name="InitialScaleA" value="0.95" />
</Effect>
<Effect name="Zoom Out 10%" iconid="33">
<Param name="ScaleA" value="0.90" />
<Param name="InitialScaleA" value="0.90" />
</Effect>
<Effect name="Zoom Out 15%" iconid="33">
<Param name="ScaleA" value="0.85" />
<Param name="InitialScaleA" value="0.85" />
</Effect>
</EffectDLL>
</Effects>
</TransitionsAndEffects>

-=Blaine=-

Blaine
YouTube videos

Posted: 21 Apr 2006 02:27 AM
Thanx again!
I haven't played with custom made titles and transition before but I'll definitely give it a try. The video I made last year was a success but I kept it quit simple because it was my first serious movie. But now I want to explore more of the possiblities that WMM offers, and this one is one of them.
I am going to play the video I have so far on different tv's to see how big the overscan differences are.
Just curious Blaine : how many movies did you already make with WMM?

Midella.
movies.blainesville.com
Top 25 Poster
Forum Moderator

Posted: 21 Apr 2006 11:55 AM
I've done about a dozen movies, mostly from family video (either kids school plays, musicals, etc. or family vacations). I've also done a lot of "playing" and creating test videos... I actually have several movies "behind schedule" like our Egypt trip and our Hawaii trip so I should get back to working on them. My problem is I'm too much of a perfectionist so I never really consider them done. I'm always going back and tweaking something. You can see a couple of the movies if you go to my 'Movie Maker Blog'. Click on the link under my name to the left.

-=Blaine=-

Blaine
YouTube videos
dickmr is not online. Last active: 3/26/2017 11:43:26 PM dickmr
Top 25 Poster
Total Posts: 3100

Posted: 23 Apr 2006 04:31 AM
Midella, I think the zoom out effect Blaine gave you above will work for you. But, I noticed you mentioned that you copied and pasted in Paint Shop Pro to get a larger background with borders for your pictures to compensate. If you have a picture like that you should just go the top and click 'image' and then 'add borders' ....chose the amount you want to add on any side of a picture and which color (black) you want.
Just a suggestion in case you didn't notice you can 'border' your pics that way very easily. Good luck.

Posted: 24 Apr 2006 04:29 AM
Clickmr:
Thanx for the tip, I didn't use the "add border" but I copied my complete picture and added it as a new layer on a complete black image which has the image size that I need. It worked fine but it takes some time if you have a lot of pictures. I didn't have the time to try working with the 5% zoom, maybe tonight.

Blaine:
I'll check the blog and look at your movies. I am also a kind of a perfectionist, but my trouble is that I have too little experience with WMM (Only 1 serious video so far) and Video/picture editing. So I need to explore that to be able to make better movies. 1 Thing is for sure: a WMM video (from still pictures) is nicer to look at than just the pictures since you can tell a story and I take rather a dvd than the photo-album.

Midella
movies.blainesville.com
Top 25 Poster
Forum Moderator

Posted: 24 Apr 2006 02:20 PM
Well keep at it and when you want help or additional tips, post a question here and we'll be ready to help.

-=Blaine=-

Blaine
YouTube videos
Previous Thread :: Next Thread 
Goto to page:  Prev Next

Movie Maker Forums  > Windows Movie Maker  > Capturing and Importing Media  > Re: What about picture height?