[Lights, Camera, Action]

Home    Forums    Tutorials    Search    Books    Links 

Windows Movie Maker tips, tutorials, forums and more...

Windows Movie Maker Home   Search   Login   Register   Member List  
Windows Movie Maker  > Music, Narration, and Sound  > Audio playback quality    
Previous Thread :: Next Thread 
 Author Thread: Audio playback quality
Tvalenti17 is not online. Last active: 1/21/2004 4:43:50 PM Tvalenti17
Total Posts: 3

Audio playback quality
Posted: 07 Oct 2003 06:31 PM
I really appreciate the responses on these forums. With your help I have successfully burned my first DVD's using WMM and MyDVD.
My question involves the music audio tracks that I have added to my movie clips. It seems that with almost every video transition I can detect a slight wobble in the sound, kind of a wavy glitch that goes away as soon as the transition is done. Not detectable to folks unfamiliar with the music but noticeable to most folks after they listen for it. I have traced the problem back to my AVI files generated by WMM. It is also noticeable on the file I generated for playback through Windows media player. So I am assuming it is generated within WMM but I cannot detect it when I play my projects within WMM.
My source files for video and audio were excellent quality. The audio files were all WAV from CD's. I guess my question is: Is this just an audio flaw that I will have to live with in video transitions within WMM. Or am I applying the transitions inappropriately? By the way the problem is more apparent when transitioning to a video clip as opposed to a photo. On all of my video clips I mute the sound allowing only the added music track to play through.

thanks in advance for any insight.
Digedit is not online. Last active: 10/19/2003 7:49:36 AM Digedit
Total Posts: 1

Re: Audio playback quality
Posted: 11 Oct 2003 02:06 PM
I've had the same issues with adding music in WMM2, regardless of the type of file I'm adding (WMA, MP3, etc.). I know it isn't my hardware and all of my system drivers are up to date. Audio tends to skip especially during the more intense transitions, but it doesn't happen while playing back on the computer. It's only noticeable after I've dumped the project to miniDV through a firewire card. Jeez, it's annoying to have spent all afternoon putting together clips and pictures only to have it fouled up by a less than perfect soundtrack. SOMEBODY HELP!
Tvalenti17 is not online. Last active: 1/21/2004 4:43:50 PM Tvalenti17
Total Posts: 3

Posted: 14 Oct 2003 12:33 PM
I did recieve a reply from MS on this issue. They have a Microsoft Knowledge Base article #812610 that acknowledges the issue.
URL is:http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;812610&Product=WinMovMake

They recommend a higher bit rate for the audio MP3 file to fix transition dropouts. I then used Audio Grabber to convert my WAV files to MP3 at the highest bit rate 320kbps. Did not make a noticeable change to my playback.

The article also suggests using the Windows audio file extenstions, so that is my next pursuit.

good luck.
Ejannich is not online. Last active: 11/18/2003 7:49:44 PM Ejannich
Total Posts: 2

Posted: 14 Oct 2003 01:38 PM
URGH!!! I am going through the same thing right now. I spent weeks making a movie of a Family Reunion and created a highlight reel to the song "Perfect Day" by Hoku (which, by the way, is a fantastic song for fun video montages). I recently noticed the 'jumpy' segments of the song during the video clip transitions. It's frustrating to learn by reading your other posts that it looks like MS does not have a solid fix for the issue :-(

I guess I could always try the ArcSoft editing software that came bundled with my new HP, and see if that software exhibits the same problems.

My wife thinks I am over-reacting and that it 'sounds fine', but I think it's ridiculous if this is an inherent flaw with the software - geez, one of the main uses for home video editing is to make little movies with songs attached. There has to be a fix...

Help me Obi-Wan.....!!!

-Erik

PDug is not online. Last active: 8/26/2013 10:39:28 AM PDug
Top 100 Poster
Total Posts: 57

Posted: 14 Oct 2003 01:41 PM
That's a good piece of info...

Audio File Sound Skips During Image Transitions

SYMPTOMS
When you add an MP3 music file to a Windows Movie Maker project, you may find that the sound skips or hesitates during image transitions.

CAUSE
This problem may occur if you are using an MP3 file that has a low bit rate. The problem may be more noticeable when you save the movie as a DV-AVI NTSC file.

Note: The bit rate for an audio file is the average number of bits that are transferred per second when the audio file is created. Bit rates for MP3 files are typically 64 kilobits per second (Kbps), 96 Kbps, 128 Kbps, or 160 Kbps. Tracks that have higher-quality sound use lower compression, have a higher bit rate, and require more disk space. Tracks with higher compression have a lower bit rate and lower-quality sound.

WORKAROUND
To work around this issue, use either of the following methods:
Use an MP3 file that has a higher bit rate.
Use a Windows Media Audio (WMA) file.
To determine the bit rate of an audio file, follow these steps:
Use Windows Explorer to find the file.
Right-click the file, and then click Properties.
Click the Summary tab, and then click Advanced.

Bit Rate appears under the Audio section.

For more information about WMA and MP3 format files, visit the following Microsoft Web site: http://windowsmedia.com/9series/DemoCenter/AudioQuality.asp?page=6&lookup=AudioQuality

STATUS
Microsoft has confirmed that this is a problem in the Microsoft products that are listed at the beginning of this article.

I bought Plus! DME and it has a tool to convert MP3's to WMA files.
Ejannich is not online. Last active: 11/18/2003 7:49:44 PM Ejannich
Total Posts: 2

Posted: 14 Oct 2003 07:28 PM
All - just found this old post looking through PapaJohn's site --> http://www.eicsoftware.com/pictures/PapaJohn/Website-MM2/MM2.html --> Problem Solving
--> Audio Issues

...it offers some hope:

7/26/03 - I have been blessed with the issue of my imported audio tracks cutting out at transition points. As per MS, I tried using higher bit rate MP3, all the way to 192. No help. So I tried converting a 192 bps MP3 to WMA. No help. So then I ripped a CD track straight from a CDs using MS Media Player 9 with the quality setting as high as it would go. No help.

Finally, just for giggles, I ripped the same CD track straight to a .wav file with Nero. That actually worked. No audio dropouts at transition points. Looks like MM2 will butcher pretty much anything but uncompressed audio.

System is Athlon XP 1800 w/768 megs of RAM and XP Pro. > It's probably just another example of no two PCs are exactly alike. I don't do a lot of audio but I had no problem with the few I did use, WMA from CD 96kbps.
Sporty Guy is not online. Last active: 11/27/2003 6:57:58 PM Sporty Guy

Posted: 27 Nov 2003 06:56 PM
I'm not sure I'm having the same issues. I've been making heaps of movies with MM2 and have never had any sound issues until today. When I go to preview my movie, the sound doesn't play and I can get it to work by clicking just ahead on the timeline and then reclicking play. Of course when I went to save my movie file to .wmv format, there was no sound at all.

The only thing I can think of that I've changed recently is I've upgraded the codec files hoping to solve another issue with video output not being seen through a data projector. I was thinking of reverting back to before I installed these files with my XP operating system? It's a perplexing problem.
PaulBarnett is not online. Last active: 9/11/2010 7:58:08 AM PaulBarnett
Total Posts: 58

Posted: 07 Jan 2004 12:21 PM
There is nothing that can be done...nothing at all. What may work for some may not work for others. The best way around it I found was to take the AVI into another package and then add the music in again. I did this using Sony Vegas and it was perfect.

Bottom line...right now Windows Movie Maker is crap. Not overall, it is a fine basic editing package, but the final music soundtrack leaves a lot to be desired.

Until they sort these issues out they can't expect us to take it seriously. Hopefully in the next version they will address these issues.
hossman is not online. Last active: 6/22/2004 11:34:48 PM hossman

Posted: 02 Feb 2004 02:15 AM
I believe that I have found a viable workaround for this issue. I noticed that the audio would play fine when saving to my computer using "High Quality (NTSC)" (WMV) instead of DV-AVI (NTSC)(AVI). Once the high quality wmv file is successfully created, I created a new MM2 project and imported the WMV file into the new project's timeline. From that point, I saved the project to my computer as DV-AVI and it seemed to do the trick.

I hope this helps.
SandyHook is not online. Last active: 2/26/2005 12:23:57 AM SandyHook

Posted: 26 Feb 2005 12:23 AM
Does the conversion from AVI to HQ NTSC, then back to to AVI result in any loss of video quality?
Milou is not online. Last active: 8/26/2006 3:55:43 PM Milou
Total Posts: 54

Posted: 04 Oct 2005 09:40 AM
In my case the image quality was indeed degraded. But the sound was good! I am frustrated about this (BUG) in Movie Maker but we have to deal with it for now. I read on another thread that you can save your project as high quality. And then use the sound from that avi file on your regular project. That should take care of it. I have yet to try it myself but I think it will solve the problem.
Milou is not online. Last active: 8/26/2006 3:55:43 PM Milou
Total Posts: 54

Posted: 04 Oct 2005 09:44 AM
Here is the thread that talks about this sound issue:

http://www.windowsmoviemakers.net/Forums/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=11920
DrJeep is not online. Last active: 9/30/2006 2:33:59 PM DrJeep

Posted: 30 Sep 2006 02:33 PM
Yeah that works, simply copy and paste all your audio into a new WMM project and save it from WMM as high sample rate audio, then import the media back into the original project.

Great forum, thanks for the solution.
Previous Thread :: Next Thread 
Page 1 of 1

Movie Maker Forums  > Windows Movie Maker  > Music, Narration, and Sound  > Audio playback quality