[Lights, Camera, Action]

Home    Forums    Tutorials    Search    Books    Links 

Windows Movie Maker tips, tutorials, forums and more...

Windows Movie Maker Home   Search   Login   Register   Member List  
Windows Movie Maker  > Publishing and Saving Movies  > How to save clips made from one WMV?    
Previous Thread :: Next Thread 
 Author Thread: How to save clips made from one WMV?
uhoh806 is not online. Last active: 2/11/2006 5:57:44 AM uhoh806
Total Posts: 5

How to save clips made from one WMV?
Posted: 07 Feb 2006 06:55 AM
Hi folks,

Is there any way to save a movie project so that the clips you made (plus or minus the ones that 'create clips' made) will be saved???

That is to say, I've split my long raw wmv file into separate clips, but have not placed them in the timeline yet. When I saved the project, and attempted to reopen it, the clips that I made is no longer-- as if it never saved it in the first place.

However, if I had gone ahead and place particular clips in the timeline in the order I wanted, then saved the project, then reopened the project-- the timeline I did is there. But once again, the various clips I made from the one big wmv is no longer.

I would have to start again with going thru the video and separate them into clips again. There has to be away to save them, yes??

Please help.

Rob
considerate_guy is not online. Last active: 12/26/2014 3:30:01 PM considerate_guy
movies.blainesville.com
Top 25 Poster
Forum Moderator
Total Posts: 24168

Re: How to save clips made from one WMV?
Posted: 07 Feb 2006 11:51 AM
They should save in your collection. If you edit clips in your collection to trim them, delete them, rename them, split them, etc. all those edits should be remembered. I suspect that all your changes are there, but somehow you are no longer looking at the same collection folder. Collections get organized into folders and subfolders. Look in the Collection drop-down to see if you aren't looking in the wrong folder.

-=Blaine=-

Blaine
Movie Maker (Custom Titles, Effects. etc.)Cool
WMM 6.0 on Windows 7 or 8
YouTube videos

Posted: 09 Feb 2006 07:27 PM
Blaine,
Yes, I remember opening the collections before and it was there. How about in situations where you are working from an external harddrive and using different computers, ie. college computer center. Everything in a particular project, I put in one folder (eg. raw files, music, and saved project file) so the project file will recognize where everything was. But, it seems like if I move from one computer to another, the collections is lost. Is there a way to save the collections and its respective edits?

Rob
considerate_guy is not online. Last active: 12/26/2014 3:30:01 PM considerate_guy
movies.blainesville.com
Top 25 Poster
Forum Moderator

Posted: 09 Feb 2006 08:21 PM
The collection database is stored in a MEDIATAB0.DAT file somewhere under your 'Documents and Settings' directory. You'd need to move that to the new computer.

-=Blaine=-

Blaine
YouTube videos

Posted: 09 Feb 2006 11:42 PM
Thanks Blaine for that.

I went ahead and did a FIND, but it was nowhere to be found. So, ended up with brute force finding, (like trying to find that immunity idol on survivor). Here it is:

C:\Documents and Settings\[insert your unique user name]\Local Settings\Application Data\Microsoft\Movie Maker\MEDIATAB0.DAT

Here's what I learned after some quick experimentation.

1. Each time new changes are made, the file changes from MEDIATAB0.DAT to MEDIATAB1.DAT, and back to MEDIATAB0.DAT. Very binary. No backups are made, such as MEDIATAB0.old.

I would advise others like myself to find that file after they finished their clip making/edits etc, then copy it onto the folder where their saved project file and raw video file is.

Again, thanks Blaine for the info. It's gonna save me hours or rework.

Rob
movies.blainesville.com
Top 25 Poster
Forum Moderator

Posted: 10 Feb 2006 01:00 AM
Good detective work. I suppose it's considered a 'hidden' or 'system' file or folder. I couldn't find it with the default search, but it came up after checking the advanced settings.

-=Blaine=-

Blaine
YouTube videos
doublebond is not online. Last active: 2/17/2009 6:47:10 AM doublebond
Total Posts: 1

Posted: 16 Feb 2009 06:52 PM
I have a problem related to this. I have several DVDs of wmv files and I want to put together different compilations for different people. So I need to be able to save clips from different DVDs to compile. I cannot take a DVD out of the drive without it losing the file. Is there a solution? In other words, can I save clips of a file so that the computer does not need the original whole file to find the clip?
Previous Thread :: Next Thread 
Page 1 of 1

Movie Maker Forums  > Windows Movie Maker  > Publishing and Saving Movies  > How to save clips made from one WMV?