[Lights, Camera, Action]

Home    Forums    Tutorials    Search    Books    Links 

Windows Movie Maker tips, tutorials, forums and more...

Windows Movie Maker Home   Search   Login   Register   Member List  
Movie Maker Users Showcase  > Share Your XP Transitions and Effects!!  > Rehan Pan Zoom Effects (beta)    
Previous Thread :: Next Thread 
 Author Thread: Rehan Pan Zoom Effects (beta)
Rehan is not online. Last active: 5/8/2012 5:49:17 PM Rehan
www.rehanfx.org
Top 25 Poster
Total Posts: 2176

Rehan Pan Zoom Effects (beta)
Posted: 28 May 2004 11:55 PM
I would like to invite you all to try out my Pan Zoom effects and provide comments and suggestions.

Major highlights:

* Flexible xml interface: Fully customizable to specify start and end pan/zoom regions.
* Uses simple alphabet grid to specify start and end regions.
* Uses hand coded bilinear filtering to maintain high pixel quality during zooms and pans.

Note: the beta test will expire some time at the end of June 2004. So try out soon and do not use in any commercial or profit making projects. The exact licensing terms for the release package will be established based on your comments and suggestions.

Please send bug reports and comments either directly to me (rehan@ntlworld.com) or discuss here.

Rehan

Download is currently available from here:
[link deprecated]
(Check: RehanFX site)

www.rehanfx.org - do more with Windows Movie Maker...
rehanfx.x10hosting.com - mirror site
Rob is not online. Last active: 7/21/2017 4:50:40 PM Rob
www.windowsmoviemakers.net
Top 25 Poster
Forum Moderator
Total Posts: 1887

Re: Rehan Pan Zoom Effects (beta)
Posted: 29 May 2004 07:53 AM
Super!! Thanks Rehan.
Will is not online. Last active: 8/10/2005 8:25:23 AM Will
Top 100 Poster
Total Posts: 32

Posted: 29 May 2004 11:50 AM
Giving it a download now! Thanks.
nyaworld is not online. Last active: 6/10/2004 6:18:04 PM nyaworld
Total Posts: 3

Posted: 06 Jun 2004 06:52 PM
I haven't tried customizing the xml files, I doubt I would have to the pan/zooms you made are perfect for my needs. I created an account in this forum, just to let you know you did an awesome job! IF you should happen to want me to review any other transitions or effects, I would be happy ;)

Thanks again,
Nya
www.rehanfx.org
Top 25 Poster

Posted: 06 Jun 2004 07:21 PM
Thanks for your comments. I am hoping people will also send some critcism or suggestions.

Also what do people think be the licensing terms suitable for such software. payware? trialware? freeware?

I think it offers a lot of flexibility in customizing the effects, compared to pixelan package. Is this not a much needed feature?

Any other features it "must" have?

Posted: 06 Jun 2004 08:05 PM
I think Pixelan tried to cover all the transitions and effects people could ask for, but here's where I think they went wrong:

1. The price is way too high
2. Their effects are not flexible since the parameters are burried in the dll files and not editable. Which brings me to ...
3. People like me are always thinking of new transitions they'd like to see, and I wouldn't want to keep buying new ones.

So, if you are going to make it a payware, it has to top SpiceFx and be reasonably priced. I would shell out $20 for what they offer now... not $60.

Let me ask... what other transitions and effects would you offer?
www.rehanfx.org
Top 25 Poster

Posted: 09 Jun 2004 05:46 PM
I also believe in maintaining the original spirit of the WMM model i.e. to allow the user maximum customization possible. For example pixelan offer 67 pan zoom effects which they consider cover all possibilities the user could ask for. Compared to this my package offers unlimited number of variations. Just the other day I thought of making a short photo movie that would continuously zoom deep in to the centre of each image. This dramatic effect could not be achieved by any of pixelan effcets but can be created with my package in a few lines such as following:

<EffectDLL guid="{4B4670E6-4512-4bec-BED1-57A017078ECC}">
<Effect name="Rehan Zoom Deep" iconid="0">
<Param name="X2" value="0.45" />
<Param name="Y2" value="0.45" />
<Param name="Size2" value="0.1" />
</Effect>
</EffectDLL>

Apart from these effects, I am considering to develop a lot of new transitions and effects which interest me but would like to prioratize what is demended by users than doing something just to increase number of effects offerred by me. Currently I am looking into:

* Customizing the titles and credits
* Optimizing the picture quality by tweaking the output profiles
* Ways to enhance Automovie
* Background removal effect

etc

Some of these might be over ambitious since there exists little documentation about these areas of WMM.

Rehan

PapaJohn is not online. Last active: 2/23/2015 2:43:58 PM PapaJohn
www.papajohn.org
Top 25 Poster
Forum Moderator
Total Posts: 13291

Posted: 09 Jun 2004 07:15 PM
Hi Rehan,

A few comments:

Customizing titles and credits is an interesting topic, and it's been alluded to in some posts that it could be done. But I've yet to see any authoritative info that confirms MM2 hooks include the ability to do something like specifying the exact position of test. I think there's a pretty good demand for such a tool.... I'm hoping it's possible.

On the Pixelan packages, their approach and the $19.95 price for a package. The packages are top quality, Pixelan is a profit-making organization and has a right to charge an appropriate price. With their packages priced at $19.95, the Microsft Plus pack at that price, both of my MM2 books at that price.... I picked that price to sell Transition Maker 2 at. And I don't discount it.

I see lots of monthly magazines in the bookstore that are at the $13 to $16 price.... a movie and popcorn/pop costs $20. I don't see it at all as an unreasonable price.... if people don't want it at that price, they can pass on it.

Pixelan's approach to transitions and effects has nothing to do with my TM2 utility or your new utility. I don't see any of our items as being in competition with each other.... there's lots of MM2 users out there. Most probably prefer the ease that Pixelan gives them.... and yes, most would proably want them for free. There's lots of room for all approaches.

... my website isn't here... it's at www.papajohn.org
www.rehanfx.org
Top 25 Poster

Posted: 09 Jun 2004 10:36 PM
About custom titles and credits, all I can say is that I am working on it. Here is a preview of a custom title I made:

* Screen capture of WMM
* Result (movie) (Right click and select "Save target as")

These show a customized title named "Fade, In and Out High" a modified version of "Fade, In and Out". The default version in WMM always shows text in the middle of the screen while the customized version places it near the top.

Hope it goes some way in addressing your suspicions :)

Rehan

www.papajohn.org
Top 25 Poster
Forum Moderator

Posted: 09 Jun 2004 11:32 PM
Not yet.... I can do the same thing by applying pan/zoom effects to a text clip.... show me one where you're doing it with a Title Overlay, not a Video text clip. Then I'll start believing :)

www.rehanfx.org
Top 25 Poster

Posted: 10 Jun 2004 05:44 AM
I didnt know you have such sceptical mind!Smiley Perhaps I can send you the custom titles themselves with some sort of NDA :D

I will send those tonight, but in the mean while what explanation do you offer for the first screen capture? Fake ?

Rehan

www.papajohn.org
Top 25 Poster
Forum Moderator

Posted: 10 Jun 2004 11:12 AM
No, I don't think it's fake.... but you might be applying a custom effect via an XML file to a couple standard text clips on the video track instead of adding some kind of option to the title wizard choices.

I'm good for the NDA.... I do them all the time and ask others to do so also at times.... I'd be glad to look at it.

www.rehanfx.org
Top 25 Poster

Posted: 10 Jun 2004 05:58 PM
I have now updated the movie to use Custom Title as an overlay over a fast zooming picture.

Posted: 10 Jun 2004 06:18 PM
If Pixelan priced their package at $19.99 or close to that I would be very pleased, but they charge $59.99 for their un-customizable transitions and effects. They have the right to price their product, as I have the right to form an opinion about what consumers find appealing about their product and pricing. Please don't misunderstand, I liked what they offered, but I rather be able to tweak the effects I use to make WMM projects.

I'm encouraged to see that people like Rehan are experimenting with WMM. I am learning about the tweakable parameters and trying new things, too.

Keep up the great ideas!
www.papajohn.org
Top 25 Poster
Forum Moderator

Posted: 10 Jun 2004 07:10 PM
I agree with you nyaworld. My weekly newsletter tomorrow is a full tutorial about using an XML file for a PIP effect and I enjoy playing with these things...

.... and Rehan, yes it looks real and wonderful. Thanks for the sample.

dork is not online. Last active: 10/25/2004 2:41:45 PM dork
Total Posts: 1

Posted: 14 Jun 2004 10:47 AM
The Rehan Pan & Zoom effects were great! I used them to make a slide show for a wedding on the weekend and everyone loved it. How come everyone in this forum is trying to make money off of add-ons though? Why don't you make everything open source and really make this software kickass so that more people can contribute to it and more people can use it?
www.rehanfx.org
Top 25 Poster

Posted: 14 Jun 2004 12:36 PM
Hi Dork,
Glad you liked these effects.

Well it is already open source to some degree... You can download the source code for sample effects off the microsoft site and start building your own. Thats how I made mine.

But it takes quite a lot of effort and time to make something that is worthwhile so hoping a little reward for your hard work should not be unexpected.

Consider it this way that if you would make money using my effects, why should I not claim some part of it from you? Why should I die poor and miserly while you live prosperous and happy building an empire using my softwareSmiley

www.papajohn.org
Top 25 Poster
Forum Moderator

Posted: 14 Jun 2004 12:56 PM
I don't see it as one way versus the other... there's lots of room for both those who want to make money by selling add-ons and for those who want to collaborate on an open source project. A little healthy competition might be a good thing.

Dork is right in the sense that this forum was setup by Rob to be the place where people shared their work. The 'Add-ons and Updatges for Windows Movie Maker' forum seems more appropriate for third party packages that are being sold. That's where I advertise Transition Maker 2.

In Rehan's case, both forums are appropriate.... at least until he decides how he'll be distributing his work in the future.... he's already given a lot pretty freely.

rolandblais is not online. Last active: 6/27/2004 12:36:08 AM rolandblais

Posted: 25 Jun 2004 08:36 PM
When will you be releasing this? My demo expires tomorrow... ;-)
Skipper2 is not online. Last active: 7/3/2004 2:21:58 PM Skipper2

Posted: 26 Jun 2004 08:51 AM
i think u should make all ur stuff , tht if they make money off of it , they have to pay u a share , then people who want to make little personal movies dont have to pay and they hsouldnt have to if their not making money just my 2 cents
www.rehanfx.org
Top 25 Poster

Posted: 27 Jun 2004 07:39 AM
The beta test has now finished. You can uninstall the software by manually removing the two files:

* rehanpz.dll
* rehanpz.xml

from C:\Program Files\Movie Maker\Shared\AddOnTFX.

I am still grappling to find time to work on the final release for the Pan Zoom Effects. Please stay tuned. It will be announced soon...

Pumapayam is not online. Last active: 4/29/2008 10:14:09 AM Pumapayam
www.thestoryofstuff.com
Top 50 Poster
Total Posts: 328

Posted: 29 Jun 2004 10:07 PM
I really miss them rehan!

If you have a constant fear of death, you never lived!
www.rehanfx.org
Top 25 Poster

Posted: 11 Jul 2004 08:41 AM
For all those interested in this the final release is now available. See this thread. or visit rehanfx.org

Drakeh is not online. Last active: 3/18/2010 1:38:18 PM Drakeh
Total Posts: 43

Posted: 11 Jun 2009 05:50 AM
Can you post xml of your zooms (names can be different but these effects: zoom up,zoom down,zoom right,zoom left, zoom up/left, zoom up/right, zoom down/left,zoom down/right) I would go to your site but my antivirus program blocks it.
Drakeh is not online. Last active: 3/18/2010 1:38:18 PM Drakeh
Total Posts: 43

Posted: 11 Jun 2009 05:51 AM
I have windows xp
Previous Thread :: Next Thread 
Page 1 of 1

Movie Maker Forums  > Movie Maker Users Showcase  > Share Your XP Transitions and Effects!!  > Rehan Pan Zoom Effects (beta)