[Lights, Camera, Action]

Home    Forums    Tutorials    Search    Books    Links 

Windows Movie Maker tips, tutorials, forums and more...

Windows Movie Maker Home   Search   Login   Register   Member List  
Windows Movie Maker  > Getting Started with Windows Movie Maker  > Movie Maker Keeps Freezing up    
Previous Thread :: Next Thread 
 Author Thread: Movie Maker Keeps Freezing up
r.prokop is not online. Last active: 10/9/2005 5:58:23 PM r.prokop
Total Posts: 1

Movie Maker Keeps Freezing up
Posted: 08 Oct 2005 11:01 PM
Hey Im not really familar with Windows Movie Maker and im having some trouble with it. The program keeps freezing up on me when im editing and its getting worse and worse every time i use it. Whats wrong? Im not sure about all the terms and stuff you guys use cause when i was reading a similar post i got totally confused and lost. All i know off the top of my head about my computer is its a Emachine and i have windows XP. Im not sure what version WMM i have. I can get more info if needed. You can pretty much say im a noob when it comes to WMM. Any help would be great Thanks!
hototai is not online. Last active: 10/13/2005 2:29:16 PM hototai
Total Posts: 6

Re: Movie Maker Keeps Freezing up
Posted: 10 Oct 2005 05:20 PM
Sorry no answer here, but the same thing happens to me. At first I thought it was a ram issue but I've more than enough. Usually when this happens the whole pc locks up and I had to do an ungraceful restart.
zero is not online. Last active: 7/25/2006 2:22:37 PM zero
Total Posts: 123

Posted: 11 Oct 2005 09:54 PM
I've been using WMM for a few months now and it occasionally freezes up with me too.

In my experience of this, I have observed some predictors (at least on my system):

1. A narration which has A LOT of video on it can be taxing, and this seems to make the program freeze for me sometimes. Eg., using more than 15-30 minutes of video probably makes the program freek out. Solution: discard ANY video ur not sure to use or not if you want a long movie.

2. Too many effects, transitions and titles throughout the narration can make the program stall. Its hard to say exactly how much is too much, but put it this way, I have found the program to have a seizure with only 3 minutes of video, which is however PACKED with (a few dozen) effects and transitions. Solution: use less.

3. If you have lots and lots of seperate clips in your project (on the narration line), this probably uses up a lot of memory and makes my conputer silently convulse. Then I have to do the whole crtl-alt-delete and "end program"... aeurrgh.. all too familiar. lol. The solution: Try not to use so many seperate clips. Avoid splitting clips on the timeline if you can (eg., for when you want to add an effect to a certain part of the clip).

4. When you try "rushing," the program can occassionally have a fit. What I mean by that is, if you are clicking on one clip on the timeline to another clip (or transition, audio file, title etc), too fast, the system probably can't catch up, so it freezes. Solution: When you click on clips or audio or whatever files on the WMM interface, wait until the computer has completed the order (and selected the clip that you clicked on) before you make any more clicks.

I hope this helps. It might not be like this for everyone, but this is what I have found in my experience, and from what I have read (as well as common sense).

Conceptual/Experimental Short Films
Zero Signal Productions
fishycomics is not online. Last active: 9/7/2014 3:05:12 PM fishycomics
Top 25 Poster
Total Posts: 7303

Posted: 12 Oct 2005 04:04 PM
Mine was working fine then i found out my hd was currupted , and a new vid card was replaced after many months with Hp. now i am back in bussiness, and again i was using it nd it seemd fine til I got all slow motion lol, I reformated the hard drive and all cleared. back in bussiness.

ALL YOUR XMLS IN THIS LINK===> tranistions and effects in alphabetical order <===All your XMLS IN THIS LINK!

thank you in advance If I never say
artamous is not online. Last active: 11/22/2005 10:16:19 AM artamous
Total Posts: 9

Posted: 25 Oct 2005 10:37 PM
I am having similar problems. There are times that things movie very slow when transferring or sliding down the timeline to edit. If you can find something else to do give it PLENTY of time and it can start working again. I have had a lot of luck with this even when the status shows not responding.

My bigger problem is when I am done editing and go to Save To CD. The High Mate screen shows but the progress bar / % never increases and an estimated remaining time never shows. I have let this run for 24-30 hours before and it is still at 0%

Is there a solution to have the step for saving work or is there another program that will work with my wmmf and save them using the other program and still have them dvd compatible?

Thanks

AJ
e-mail: artamous@comcast.net
sCHAAFTWINs is not online. Last active: 3/17/2006 9:28:32 PM sCHAAFTWINs

Posted: 17 Mar 2006 09:27 PM
hey i have the same computer and the exact problem, did you find how to fix that problem? because i am so annoyed with keep having to close the program and open it up.
considerate_guy is not online. Last active: 9/17/2014 1:27:53 AM considerate_guy
movies.blainesville.com
Top 25 Poster
Forum Moderator
Total Posts: 24006

Posted: 17 Mar 2006 11:09 PM
Check www.papajohn.org > Problem Solving > Crashes and Hangs, or Can't Save Movie

-=Blaine=-

Blaine
Movie Maker (Custom Titles, Effects. etc.)Cool
WMM 6.0 on Windows 7 or 8
YouTube videos
terenceK is not online. Last active: 3/21/2006 9:15:34 PM terenceK
Total Posts: 5

Posted: 21 Mar 2006 07:22 PM
I find that I run defrag alot---that might fix the problem of WMM hanging up...
be_outside is not online. Last active: 4/18/2006 3:20:43 AM be_outside
Total Posts: 6

Posted: 21 Mar 2006 09:45 PM
I'm having the same problem! Let me know if you find a solution.

be_outside@yahoo.com
homeslice is not online. Last active: 4/19/2006 11:55:44 PM homeslice
Total Posts: 16

Posted: 22 Mar 2006 04:34 PM
Hey I'm not sure if this will work for you, but it works for me. press Ctrl,shift and Esc at the same time for 3 seconds, A window will open, cick the applications tab and then end task, good luck. I got that from the complete idiot's guide to PCs. so as you can tell I'm not the most reliable source. Good luck.
starboyjuice is not online. Last active: 5/6/2008 9:45:11 AM starboyjuice

Posted: 06 May 2008 09:31 AM
Yesterday i had NO problem however when going to make another video today i noticed im having these problems also, having to manually shut down the program,
the ONLY thing which has changed since then, is that i added creativity packs from Microsoft.

i have removed them and im going to see if it helps. I'll keep you notified.
Kazzer21 is not online. Last active: 7/28/2008 8:35:58 PM Kazzer21
Total Posts: 13

Posted: 16 May 2008 12:50 PM
My experience is that hangs and freezes have two main causes.

Most likely a codecs issue. I hate this as I am no expert and it drives me crazy trying to sort it out. These days I'm just really careful about what I download or add to the system which may involve adding incompatible codecs. First thing I do after adding anything new is go and test WMM for stability. Any problems and I remove what I just did unless I really need it. Then I go off and do some research on a fix.

The other main cause, like Zero says is trying to move around the timeline too quickly and it can't cope. Chill, slow down and let it catch up. Save your project frequently then if it really can't cope you haven't lost everything. I guess I've just got used restarting my projects on a frequent basis!!!

The other thing I do, which you shouldn't have to do but it helps, is I make sure all my clips are converted to .wmv files before I start. Mixing vid formats never seems to work and the movie won't save or fails to play back properly, so I just don't do it. Using all .avi clips sometimes works provided there are not too many of them. I still can't get .gif to work in WMM even though they are supposed to.

I hope this helps.
nat-atat is not online. Last active: 5/17/2008 6:23:36 PM nat-atat
Total Posts: 3

Posted: 17 May 2008 06:06 PM
I have the same issue mentioned here. I have a Sony Vaio. I solved the problem ( for most of the time) by right clicking the program before I open it up, clicking 'run as' and selecting my section of our family computer. For whatever reason this solved my problem. Begore I started doing this I would try to open the slideshow and it would almost immediately shut down.

As well, as others have said, it seems WMM simply can't handle the user working too quickly.
yosh is not online. Last active: 8/19/2008 9:26:06 PM yosh

Posted: 24 Jul 2008 08:17 PM
I've pretty much had the same problem with mine. However i did notice something, When you start a new project it goes through pretty much smoothly. I realized it's not until after you save is when all the problems start, such as lagging and freezing.

As If!
cadc is not online. Last active: 11/21/2008 11:24:31 PM cadc

Posted: 21 Nov 2008 09:16 PM
I have a simple solution, sometimes Windows movie maker cannot edit the current clip as it is, so to fix this, add another split in the clip to jog windows movie maker out of the part of the clip it's having trouble, and it should work fine after that.

Hope that helps
Scionti is not online. Last active: 12/11/2008 1:53:58 AM Scionti

Posted: 10 Dec 2008 06:49 AM
For gods sake, I've been having issues such as this with WMM as well, I even tried Nero Vision and it gave me the same d*mn problem. Constant freeze ups and crashes. All my video is in .AVI, and my sound in .WAV yet even after screwing around with codecs, registry cleaners, changes here and there, updating and downloading drivers, unplugging SLI, hardware acceleration, etc etc etc. None of it works.

It seems to get worse with the more transitions etc I add, but I mean give me a break, I only have 25 seconds of video and 3 or 4 transitions as well as the music. Any suggestions?
robiwon is not online. Last active: 12/15/2009 8:21:11 AM robiwon

Posted: 15 Dec 2009 08:20 AM
I know this is an old post, but led me to a new solution...I just started playing around with this. I was having freezing problem with WMM ....Found a video on youtube by a women, followed her advice, is working great now...Go to START--->MY COMPUTER--->VIEW SYSTEM INFORMATION--->click ADVANCED--->in performance SETTINGS--->ADVANCED--->PROCESS SCHEDULING--->select BACKGROUND SERVICES--->APPLY--->OK--->OK......done, this worked for me. Thanks so much to the lady....
booger is not online. Last active: 12/21/2009 6:49:05 PM booger
Total Posts: 10

Posted: 16 Dec 2009 08:06 PM
I thought this would be the answer to my problems but unfortunately it didnt work for me, my 6min movie still froze after about 15 seconds.
TLATEOTW is not online. Last active: 3/1/2010 6:27:50 PM TLATEOTW

Posted: 01 Mar 2010 06:27 PM
@ robiwon, i just created an account here just to thank you, i'm running movie maker 2.6 on win 7 32 bit and it always freezes when saving, but when i changed the settings to what you mentioned the prog worked like a charm, thanks
grumpygrandad is not online. Last active: 3/9/2010 2:31:01 AM grumpygrandad

Posted: 07 Mar 2010 03:55 PM
Hi robiwon, I too created an account, but to let you know that unfortunately your suggestion did not work for me.

WMM freezes at the same point 58% complete everytime during "saving to CD" of a 50 clip 11 minutes video.

I'm using Version 5.1 (2.1.4026.0) in Windows XP Service Pack3 on a Packard Bell Pentium4 with 44gb hard drive free space and 1gb memory.

Also how do you specify drive to use - it defaults to my D drive ?

cheers PeteB.

PeteB

Posted: 07 Mar 2010 07:26 PM
PS I also tried right click WMM, then run as ......... to no avail.

PeteB
neophyte is not online. Last active: 5/1/2012 9:53:46 PM neophyte
neos-world.is-great.org
Top 25 Poster
Forum Moderator
Total Posts: 19914

Posted: 07 Mar 2010 10:03 PM
grumpygrandad - welcome to the forums.

What's the file format of your source files? If they're an incompatible type such as MPEG-2, DivX, Xvid, MOV, FLV, etc, try using SUPER (it's a free download) to convert your files to avi format using ffmpeg and MS-mpeg4-v2 as the Video Output Codec. See this page for download instructions (as erightsoft doesn't provide a direct download link for it).

If you're using compatible file types, then try breaking your project up into smaller pieces and see if you can save your movie to your computer.

FYI, when you save a movie to CD in the XP version of Movie Maker, that disc will play on any Windows computer but will not play on the vast majority of DVD players. Thus, if you want to play your disc on a DVD player, save your movie to your computer and then use a third-party burning program (most optical drives come with burning software) to burn your movie as a video disc.

I hear and I forget. I see and I remember. I do and I understand. -- Confucius

Posted: 08 Mar 2010 09:16 AM
Thanks Neophyte, but as WMM is now not even recognising my CD drive, I am throwing in the towel.

PeteB
neophyte is not online. Last active: 5/1/2012 9:53:46 PM neophyte
neos-world.is-great.org
Top 25 Poster
Forum Moderator
Total Posts: 19914

Posted: 08 Mar 2010 09:29 PM
Check out this article for a potential fix.

I hear and I forget. I see and I remember. I do and I understand. -- Confucius

Posted: 09 Mar 2010 02:27 AM
Thanks, but web page no longer exists.

PeteB
Previous Thread :: Next Thread 
Page 1 of 2Goto to page: [1], 2 Next

Movie Maker Forums  > Windows Movie Maker  > Getting Started with Windows Movie Maker  > Movie Maker Keeps Freezing up