[Lights, Camera, Action]

Home    Forums    Tutorials    Search    Books    Links 

Windows Movie Maker tips, tutorials, forums and more...

Windows Movie Maker Home   Search   Login   Register   Member List  
Windows Movie Maker  > Getting Started with Windows Movie Maker  > Still using XP Windows Movie Maker--mostly successfully but need help    
Previous Thread :: Next Thread 
 Author Thread: Still using XP Windows Movie Maker--mostly successfully but need help
Taffygirl is not online. Last active: 8/9/2017 2:28:55 PM Taffygirl
Total Posts: 65

Still using XP Windows Movie Maker--mostly successfully but need help
Posted: 03 Aug 2017 04:46 PM
Hello, I have not been on this forum for a long time (years), but have always found it helpful. I have several questions relating to 1)my old XP movie maker program, and 2) creating movies in Windows 7.

1) I have continued making movies on my old XP laptop even though I purchased a new laptop with Windows 7 about six years ago. The last movie I made on the XP computer was about four years ago. Recently I started making a new movie on the XP computer and was doing fine until I tried to import some videos. They don't seem to even upload to my XP computer and I'm wondering if that's because the videos were made with a new camera and camcorder. Is it possible that the newer cameras don't "talk" to the XP system? I even tried putting them on a CD to upload, but no dice.

2) I looked at the movie maker program in Windows7, but I couldn't figure out how to do some of the things that was easy with the old program on XP. For instance, I like to put a text slide in between some of the photos, but couldn't see how to do that. Also, importing videos didn't work. Is there a mechanism to do these things?

While I would like to continue making my movies on my old XP laptop, I need to figure out how to import the videos to the laptop. All the photos are in place and I just need to add the videos to finish the project.

As an alternative, I would need lots of help using Windows Movie Maker for Windows 7 as it really doesn't seem to be as good as or as easy to use as the program on XP. I am not ready to purchase Windows 10 yet.

Is there any help for my situation? Thanks so much.
neophyte is not online. Last active: 8/21/2017 8:49:37 AM neophyte
neos-world.is-great.org
Top 25 Poster
Forum Moderator
Total Posts: 20172

Re: Still using XP Windows Movie Maker--mostly successfully but need help
Posted: 04 Aug 2017 09:54 AM
Welcome back.

1. Most likely the problem is that the file types from the new equipment are not supported by the XP version of Movie Maker. Try converting the files to wmv files and see if that resolves the problem.

2, Click here here for a tutorial on using Windows Live Movie Maker. You can also find a number of video tutorials on Youtube.

If you would like to use the XP version of Movie Maker on your Windows 7 laptop, you can download version 2.6 here. Make sure you run a virus scan on the installer before you try installing it, as I haven't tried this installer myself.

I hear and I forget. I see and I remember. I do and I understand. -- Confucius

Posted: 04 Aug 2017 10:52 AM
Thanks so much. I will try to learn how to convert the video files to wmv, as I have no clue on how to do that. Guess I can find a tutorial online (I hope).

what is Windows Live Movie Maker.

As a last resort I will try to download the XP version to my Windows 7. That would be great if I can figure out how to run the virus scan first. As you can tell, I am not very tech savvy, but do love creating movie DVDs for our family.

Thanks again and any additional advise would be most welcome always.

Posted: 04 Aug 2017 01:28 PM
OK, I did a little research on converting my videos to wmv files. Some of my videos are in the AVCHD format and the others are MP4.

I am not sure whether or not to try one of the free converter sites or one that I'd have to pay for. Some of the ones I looked at are as follows:

Aimersoft which would cost about $50 and I think it only converts the AVCHD files. Am not sure.

The ZAMZAR site is free and I think is for MP4 conversions to wmv. It apparently doesn't require a download if I read it correctly.

Another site is called It Still Works. I'm not sure if it is free or pay.

Can you advise on some good sites to check out? I actually thought there would just be a process to convert the files rather than needed to download or pay for doing it. That's how unsavvy I am.

Another link I saw mentioned the Windows Live Movie Maker which apparently is free and has a conversion method. Am I reading that correctly? Would that be the way to go?

I am pretty confused but am happy to receive some guidance on this thread.
neos-world.is-great.org
Top 25 Poster
Forum Moderator

Posted: 04 Aug 2017 08:28 PM
Windows Live Movie Maker was the latest version of Movie Maker and was included as part of the Windows Essential package. Microsoft stopped supporting it the beginning of this year. If it isn't already installed on your laptop, see this page for where you can download a copy.

Once you've installed it, you should be able to use it to convert your files to wmv format (assuming you still want to use the XP version of Movie Maker). If you want to skip the conversion step and any loss of quality, you could try using Windows Live Movie Maker to make your movies.

You should have fewer problems with Windows Live Movie Maker and it's pretty user friendly. The main downside is that it doesn't have all the user created custom effects that the XP version does.

Posted: 06 Aug 2017 09:53 AM
Thanks. I did try to install Windows Live Movie Maker from the link you shared, but it didn't seem to download. I'm not sure why.

While I definitely would miss the great custom effects from the XP version, it looks like I'll have to find another way to create my DVDs as Windows Music Player seems to have stopped working on my old XP laptop, so I cannot add music. Bummer!

Not sure what I'll do but thanks for your assistance; I do appreciate it. I have always gotten good help from these threads.
neos-world.is-great.org
Top 25 Poster
Forum Moderator

Posted: 08 Aug 2017 12:03 PM
I just checked the link for the English (United States) version of Windows Live Movie Maker from my previous post and the setup file downloaded without a problem. You might want to give it another try.

Posted: 09 Aug 2017 02:28 PM
OK, I will thanks. I am still toying with maybe trying to load the XP windows movie maker on my Windows 7 computer. Just a little nervous that I won't be able to figure out how to do the security scan. I'd sure love to continue making movies with that program.

Anyway, thanks again. I do appreciate your help.
neos-world.is-great.org
Top 25 Poster
Forum Moderator

Posted: 13 Aug 2017 03:17 PM
The anti-virus program may scan the file when downloaded. If it doesn't, once you've downloaded the file, you can usually right click on the file and there will be an option on the pop-up menu to scan the file.

Previous Thread :: Next Thread 
Page 1 of 1

Movie Maker Forums  > Windows Movie Maker  > Getting Started with Windows Movie Maker  > Still using XP Windows Movie Maker--mostly successfully but need help