[Lights, Camera, Action]

Home    Forums    Tutorials    Search    Books    Links 

Windows Movie Maker tips, tutorials, forums and more...

Windows Movie Maker Home   Search   Login   Register   Member List  
Windows Movie Maker  > Getting Started with Windows Movie Maker  > How do I make then save one video made up of many smaller clips?    
Previous Thread :: Next Thread 
 Author Thread: How do I make then save one video made up of many smaller clips?
Porthlow is not online. Last active: 7/29/2017 12:42:27 PM Porthlow
Total Posts: 1

How do I make then save one video made up of many smaller clips?
Posted: 29 Jul 2017 12:42 PM
I have taken lots of photos and video clips on various cameras and phones of my boys growing up over the last thirteen years. I have started going through the individual files which are stored on two separate external hard drives and I have started using Windows Movie Maker to edit and put them together as one viewable video.

The intended audience is just my two sons, my wife and me, memories from our memory box.

I soon realised that if I loaded too many long individual videos into Movie Maker it crashed, so I have saved sections as individual movies (.wlmp). I am amazed just how many hours of footage even the edited movies amount to, and I haven't finished yet.

I realised that the 'movies' don't save the original data, they just form links to where this is stored, so if the external hard drive is not plugged in they don't work. I have saved some as .mp4 (using the save movie / FaceBook option) so that they are independent of the original data, but this takes a long time. I thought I would then be able to put all the .mp4 sections into Movie Maker to make final edits, then save the complete video and upload it to YouTube or FaceBook, for example - but even uploading one 45 minute section took longer than is really practical.

I am sure there must be a better way of achieving what I am trying to do - can anyone suggest how I should go about this fairly massive project, please?

I am happy to accept some loss of quality, but obviously the less the better, and also the quicker and simpler the process the better.

Is there good trustworthy free software I need, or do I need to buy software/hardware?

I imagine this is the sort of project lots of people want to do, but I have tried looking for solutions on the internet without any success.
neophyte is not online. Last active: 10/20/2017 9:27:53 AM neophyte
neos-world.is-great.org
Top 25 Poster
Forum Moderator
Total Posts: 20178

Re: How do I make then save one video made up of many smaller clips?
Posted: 02 Aug 2017 09:39 AM
Welcome to the forums.

Unfortunately rendering movies and uploading them can be a fairly time consuming process. Different software or hardware probably won't alleviate your concern over the time consuming nature of the effort given the amount of material you appear to have.

The uploading time is a function of number of factors (e.g., file size, the upload speed supported by your internet service provider, the particular site you want to upload to, etc.) File size is the one you can control the easiest. - to reduce the file size you could lower the resolution and/or bitrate at which you save your movie or reduce the length of the movie. The resolution you use for saving the movie will depend on the resolution of the devices on which you will be viewing the movies. The bitrate will be the lowest that gives you acceptable quality when viewing your movies on whatever devices you're using. The resolution, bitrate and length will also be key factors affecting the rendering time of your movies.

One thing you could try would be to save (render) your movies to you hard drive or external hard drive and then set them up to upload overnight or while you're doing something else during the day.

FYI, a wlmp file is a Movie Maker project file and, as you noted, it only stores links to your original source materials. Thus, it is like a recipe for your movie without any of the ingredients.

I hear and I forget. I see and I remember. I do and I understand. -- Confucius
Previous Thread :: Next Thread 
Page 1 of 1

Movie Maker Forums  > Windows Movie Maker  > Getting Started with Windows Movie Maker  > How do I make then save one video made up of many smaller clips?