[Lights, Camera, Action]

Home    Forums    Tutorials    Search    Books    Links 

Windows Movie Maker tips, tutorials, forums and more...

Windows Movie Maker Home   Search   Login   Register   Member List  
Windows Movie Maker  > Transitions, Effects and Titles  > Re: Replacing background with static image...    
Previous Thread :: Next Thread 
 Author Thread: Replacing background with static image...
gordonf is not online. Last active: 3/19/2004 5:34:53 PM gordonf
Total Posts: 1

Replacing background with static image...
Posted: 19 Mar 2004 05:23 PM
Ok. Here is a question that my daughter asked me that has me a little stumped... She wants to film a scene of horses running and replace the background so that it looks like they are running through clouds.

Now if we had a 100' green screen for them to run in front of we could use a standard chromakey approach. But we don't. So, does anyone know of a relatively easy way to achieve this? (Hand editting out the background in each frame would take WAY too long).

It seems like it might be possible if the camera was on a tripod and we had a reference image of just the background scene before the horses appear. It should then be technically possible to programmatically subtract out the background from each frame. Does anyone know of a way to do this either with MovieMaker or some other program?

Thanks for any tips or suggestions.

Gordon Free
BillEve is not online. Last active: 2/15/2010 12:33:03 PM BillEve
Total Posts: 52

Re: Replacing background with static image...
Posted: 19 Mar 2004 09:00 PM
This effect is beyond Movie Makers capabilities. I believe it can be done using Adobe Premier.
joephoto is not online. Last active: 3/24/2004 7:52:10 PM joephoto
Top 100 Poster
Total Posts: 7

Posted: 22 Mar 2004 07:46 PM
You might shoot them running across a hilltop with the camera positioned below and just get them from the knees up with the sky (on a nice cloud day) in the background. I'm assuming you have horses to shoot. You could also shoot them running on the beach at an angle where the spashes could be blurred with the clouds. Personally, I'd go with the hand editing. Is that possible? It sounds like you'd have to capture each frame as an editable (edible) .jpg or something and then put them back together.
Nick is not online. Last active: 6/19/2006 4:33:47 AM Nick
Top 100 Poster
Total Posts: 54

Posted: 23 Mar 2004 02:55 AM
Following on from joephoto's post if you copy the following xml into a file and save with a .xml extension in fthe following folder

" C:\Program Files\Movie Maker\1033\AddonTFX"

NB a) the 1033 is your locale and may differ if you are not using english
b) you may to create the addontfx low level folder

you will have a simple "blue screen" chroma transition. you could then use an image or video of clouds with a blue sky (something i cant find at the moment in the UK) to have clouds in the front of the video. it wont win any awards but might be OK for your daughter.

<TransitionsAndEffects
Version="1.0" >
<Transitions>
<TransitionDLL guid="{C5B19592-145E-11D3-9F04-006008039E37}">

<Transition name="Chroma " iconid="88">
<Param name="KeyType" value="1" />
</Transition>

</TransitionDLL>
</Transitions>
</TransitionsAndEffects>

Previous Thread :: Next Thread 
Goto to page:  Prev Next

Movie Maker Forums  > Windows Movie Maker  > Transitions, Effects and Titles  > Re: Replacing background with static image...