[Lights, Camera, Action]

Home    Forums    Tutorials    Search    Books    Links 

Windows Movie Maker tips, tutorials, forums and more...

Windows Movie Maker Home   Search   Login   Register   Member List  
Windows Movie Maker  > Technical Support  > HELP! Black screen with only audio when I convert finished project    
Previous Thread :: Next Thread 
 Author Thread: HELP! Black screen with only audio when I convert finished project
adamjon92 is not online. Last active: 7/12/2013 4:30:50 PM adamjon92
Total Posts: 3

HELP! Black screen with only audio when I convert finished project
Posted: 12 Jul 2013 12:30 PM
Hello,

I just finished up a video for an intern project at my work using Windows Live Movie Maker 2.6, and I need to convert it to a .wmv file so they can play it during the company meeting later today. When I tried converting it, the only thing that transfered was the audio. There is a black screen with no picture. I have been searching through google and this forum, and I know it has something to do with a codec, but I have downloaded a few and none of them work. I will provide more information if needed!

If anyone could help me out, I would really appreciate it!

Thanks in advance :)

Adam
considerate_guy is not online. Last active: 8/7/2015 5:49:08 PM considerate_guy
movies.blainesville.com
Top 25 Poster
Forum Moderator
Total Posts: 24219

Re: HELP! Black screen with only audio when I convert finished project
Posted: 12 Jul 2013 01:24 PM
What are the file types on the source videos? It sounds exactly like Movie Maker is unable to correctly decode the video and render a movie file.

Normally I would suggest converting the source files to .wmv format, but that would require you to start over on the project and you said this is time critical.

Does the video preview as expected inside Movie Maker? Does a video created out of just photos work? Have you saved a movie previously?

Also, please confirm whether this is the classic Movie Maker 2.6 (which is based on the old Windows XP version and came with Vista), or if it is a newer version of Movie Maker (e.g. Windows Live Movie Maker 2011 or Movie Maker 2012). You can find out by opening the menus and going to About Movie Maker.

One last thing to check: Run dxdiag and go to the display tab. What is the make/model of your graphics card and what is the version? You might be able to resolve this by going to the GPU manufacturer's website (e.g. Intel, AMD, NVidia) and running their driver update utilities.

Blaine
Movie Maker (Custom Titles, Effects. etc.)Cool
WMM 6.0 on Windows 7 or 8
YouTube videos

Posted: 12 Jul 2013 02:14 PM
"What are the file types on the source videos?"

The files were .avi, and I was wondering if that was the problem, so I tried taking the sample video on windows media player (which was a .wmv file) and put it in a brand new movie maker file and I tried finalizing that by converting it to another .wmv file, but that did the same thing - black screen with only audio.

"Normally I would suggest converting the source files to .wmv format, but that would require you to start over on the project and you said this is time critical."

I tried this as well, but the same problem happened.

Does the video preview as expected inside Movie Maker? Does a video created out of just photos work? Have you saved a movie previously?

Yes, the video works fine inside Movie Maker. I just tried creating a video with just pictures, no movies, and that didn't work - same problem with black screen. I saved the current movie I'm working on before I tried converting it, so I still have a working video.

Also, please confirm whether this is the classic Movie Maker 2.6 (which is based on the old Windows XP version and came with Vista), or if it is a newer version of Movie Maker (e.g. Windows Live Movie Maker 2011 or Movie Maker 2012). You can find out by opening the menus and going to About Movie Maker.

It is Version 2012 (Build 16.4.3508.0205)

One last thing to check: Run dxdiag and go to the display tab. What is the make/model of your graphics card and what is the version? You might be able to resolve this by going to the GPU manufacturer's website (e.g. Intel, AMD, NVidia) and running their driver update utilities.

It is Intel(R) Q45/Q43 Express Chipset.

If there is anything else I can provide, I am more than willing. Thank you for your response! I really appreciate it.

Adam
movies.blainesville.com
Top 25 Poster
Forum Moderator

Posted: 12 Jul 2013 02:55 PM
I would go to the Intel website and find a later driver for the Q45/Q43 chipset.

Blaine
YouTube videos

Posted: 12 Jul 2013 03:21 PM
I actually did that about an hour ago, and it works fine on my computer, but now it doesn't work on anyone elses computer. It says it's not compatible. This is the most frustrating thing ever...
movies.blainesville.com
Top 25 Poster
Forum Moderator

Posted: 12 Jul 2013 05:20 PM
So you were able to create the video on your PC and it isn't black? What's not compatible on the other computers? The driver or the final video?

The driver update utility depends on the specific hardware in the PC, so if the other computers are showing the same symptoms, find out what hardware they have by running dxdiag. You probably need a different updater.

Blaine
YouTube videos
solomonsdog is not online. Last active: 8/4/2013 7:42:41 PM solomonsdog
Total Posts: 2

Posted: 19 Jul 2013 11:39 PM
Hi Adam,

I cannot help you but I am having the same problem. Everything was working well until about July 15, 2013 approx when I did the usual windows upgrades and then black screens with audio.
I notice that the file size of the black screen .wmv files are a lot smaller than they should be.

I hope others also post here and maybe we can get a bit of action going.

Cheers

Tony
movies.blainesville.com
Top 25 Poster
Forum Moderator

Posted: 20 Jul 2013 12:23 AM
Are you seeing no video, or only half a screen of black?

If you are seeing no video, it's probably your video driver. If you are seeing partial video, it is probably a recent update.

More details:
view post 258245

Blaine
YouTube videos
StanleyB is not online. Last active: 3/25/2014 4:02:05 PM StanleyB
www.stanbobbitt.webs.com
Total Posts: 1

Posted: 03 Mar 2014 09:54 AM
Hi all,
I'm getting the same black screen problem here, only mine just started about 2 weeks ago. All was fine before that.
On Feb 22 I successfully edited and added audio to a small video clip using windows live movie maker 2012. Then yesterday I started another project and there was the black screen. The thumbnail is there but no video.
I've tried several file types, .mov, .avi, .wmv with the same results.

still looking for solution:
Thanks,

StanleyB
Previous Thread :: Next Thread 
Page 1 of 1

Movie Maker Forums  > Windows Movie Maker  > Technical Support  > HELP! Black screen with only audio when I convert finished project