[Lights, Camera, Action]

Home    Forums    Tutorials    Search    Books    Links 

Windows Movie Maker tips, tutorials, forums and more...

Windows Movie Maker Home   Search   Login   Register   Member List  
Windows Movie Maker  > Windows Live Movie Maker 2011  > Windows Movie Maker 2012 released today    
Previous Thread :: Next Thread 
 Author Thread: Windows Movie Maker 2012 released today
Vokar is not online. Last active: 8/19/2017 6:57:12 AM Vokar
Total Posts: 147

Windows Movie Maker 2012 released today
Posted: 07 Aug 2012 07:57 PM
Just discovered and downloaded this, but haven't had a chance to play with it much yet. It looks almost the same as the previous versions, but Movie Maker has at least one major new feature.

http://windowsteamblog.com/windows/b/windowsexperience/archive/2012/08/07/introducing-the-new-windows-photo-gallery-and-movie-maker.aspx
grapemanca is not online. Last active: 7/25/2015 3:21:34 AM grapemanca
Total Posts: 62

Re: Windows Movie Maker 2012 released today
Posted: 08 Aug 2012 04:45 PM
I've tried it out with a few basic projects, and the Movie Maker for W8 certainly has added some nice features to the basic Windows Live Movie Maker layout. Of course, many of the features, like narration & sound waves, should have been there from the start, as they were in previous iterations of Movie Maker. To wait over 3 years for their re-introduction is ridiculous, and shows you how unimportant this program is to Microsoft!

For me, the basic problem remains: there is no proper horizontal timeline, and the storyboard remains difficult and clunky to use (at least compared to Movie Maker 6.0). indeed, when you have the three wave forms visible (onboard audio, narration and music), the vertical storyboard is even MORE difficult to work with. Even at the best of times, the storyboard constantly forces your eyes to move right; move down; move left; move right again. [In a horizontal timeline, all your eyes do is go left and right.] Now, with the extra wave forms, your eyes have farther to travel, and with more information to pass over.

If they ever grow up and admit their mistake, and the dev. team reintroduces a timeline option, then I might go back to Movie Maker, but this WLMM tweak still suffers from a poor basic form factor. It remains a clunky slideshow maker that relies on many "workarounds" for minimal functionality.

Don't bend! Put WMM6 on Windows 7:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=15TMjpM8QCc

Posted: 08 Aug 2012 05:35 PM
I hear you, but I've got other, more important battles in my life now than to fight with MS about this any longer. People who are happy with making home movies and the like, and who have limited budgets, will stick with MS and whichever version of Movie Maker is available and comfortable to use. Those who want to "move up the ladder" have already left Movie Maker behind and gone to something like Sony Vegas or Adobe Premiere/Elements. Or, if they have more money to spend, have moved to Apple/Mac and iMovie or Final Cut Pro.

Whether WMM/WLMM is made exactly the way I'd like it to be is these days way down my personal priority list, as my mother and in-laws are all very ill, and as my wife and I face our own health and career issues. Besides, I don't think all the complaining I've done about WLMM will change anything. 'Tis better for me to accept what is (like it or not) and move on. Life's too short: no more tilting at windmills. That's my old guy two cents. :)

Personally, I use both WMM and WLMM as needed, with Pixelan Spice Packs and Roxio Creator.

Cheers!
grapemanca is not online. Last active: 7/25/2015 3:21:34 AM grapemanca
Total Posts: 62

Posted: 08 Aug 2012 06:04 PM
Indeed, Vokar, I agree with your priorities, and I haven't bothered with the WLMM fiasco for a very long time myself. However, the Windows blog got my hopes up until I realized this was just a tweak of the same old WLMM slideshow garbage.

I myself spend most of my creative time using Cyberlink's PowerDirector, though I recently went back and used WMM6 for my daughter's wedding video. I forgot what a joy it is to use WMM6, and wish some of its features (drag and drop crossfades, right click controls, etc.) were in PowerDirector. I also reacquainted myself with Pixelan's excellent SpiceFX package.

I do think there are some interesting parallels between the WLMM fiasco and Microsoft's current introduction of Windows 8. It refuses to listen to consumer anger (e.g. regarding the Start Menu and booting straight to the desktop), and indeed is now stripping out code to make it harder to create workarounds. The "my way or the highway" attitude is all too familiar!

In any case, maybe I'll drop by again in another 18 months. Best of luck!

Don't bend! Put WMM6 on Windows 7:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=15TMjpM8QCc
considerate_guy is not online. Last active: 8/7/2015 5:49:08 PM considerate_guy
movies.blainesville.com
Top 25 Poster
Forum Moderator
Total Posts: 24219

Posted: 24 Aug 2012 10:46 AM
I've tried the new Movie Maker 2012 and I have found it rather useful, finally. I agree that waveforms, narration, outline fonts, etc. should have been there much sooner, but I'm glad they are finally there. I also appreciate the new audio emphasis controls to choose which audio track should get priority. That allows you to have the added music reduce when someone is speaking, for example.

My biggest gripe (apart from the non-standard time line) is that there is still no published method of customizing the program. For that, I still constantly go back to Windows Movie Maker 6.0 which can be installed on Windows 7 or Windows 8 along side Movie Maker 2012.

Blaine
Movie Maker (Custom Titles, Effects. etc.)Cool
WMM 6.0 on Windows 7 or 8
YouTube videos

Posted: 25 Aug 2012 11:15 PM
I've been tinkering with WMM2012 too, and the one thing that I found odd is that the "stabilization" feature achieves its goal by unusual means. I took several minutes of "shaky/wobbly" WMV footage and applied the maximum stabilization, saving it as a WMV file, and found that while it did indeed "steady" the image so that it gently rocked and swayed instead of jiggling violently, it also shaved 10-15% or more off all four sides of the image, taking the tops off heads and cutting some people out of the shot entirely. Ha!

Anyway, I'm shooting and editing a YouTube short for a friend this week and will be using both WMM 6.0 and WMM2012 on Windows 8.
movies.blainesville.com
Top 25 Poster
Forum Moderator

Posted: 26 Aug 2012 02:12 AM
That behavior sounds pretty typical of stabilization. Essentially what stabilization does is detects the motion in the frame. Then it reverses the motion to keep things in about the same position. But that is going to send the stabilized view outside of the frame so to compensate you have to zoom the picture so you don't see the black outside the picture area. With the maximum setting, this could mean a really zoomed in picture. I've used other software that tries to borrow from other frames to fill in the blank space ("edge compensation") but that can lead to other artifacts.

I haven't tried the stabilization in Movie Maker 2012 yet (since I don't have a Windows 8 machine yet) so thanks for providing that extra detail.

Blaine
YouTube videos

Posted: 27 Aug 2012 09:48 PM
My only experience with stabilization is the feature on camcorders, also gyros and "steadicam" etc. Apparently this feature has been around on some editing software, but it's all new to me, so I wasn't prepared to see the amount of image cropping that resulted. It totally makes sense now, thanks to your description of how it works.

I plan to experiment with some of the other new features on WMM 2012 soon.

Posted: 30 Aug 2012 01:30 AM
I should add that your WMM 6 works just fine, when installed on Windows 8.
fishycomics is not online. Last active: 8/3/2016 1:46:49 PM fishycomics
Top 25 Poster
Total Posts: 7305

Posted: 22 Nov 2012 07:15 PM
CRASH with a gopro hero2 hd1080P was to much for this freeware, and Magix and ony works just fine.

been gone for so long wish I can get back into the older stuff on win 8. hate my win 8 app touchscreen Lol

ALL YOUR XMLS IN THIS LINK===> tranistions and effects in alphabetical order <===All your XMLS IN THIS LINK!

thank you in advance If I never say
movies.blainesville.com
Top 25 Poster
Forum Moderator

Posted: 23 Nov 2012 09:51 AM
Fishy,

Which crashed on Windows 8? Is it Movie Maker 2012 or WMM 6.0?

Blaine
YouTube videos
werrenskis is not online. Last active: 9/5/2013 10:03:11 AM werrenskis
Total Posts: 1

Posted: 27 Aug 2013 11:37 PM
I don't know how to ask a question on this forum.
My question is about WLMM2011. I only find recent projects listed. What happens to the older projects? Is there a limit to the number of projects you can have going at the same time?
I am very frustrated at not being able to ask a question and get an answer.
If I download WLMM 2012 (I have Windows 7) will it affect the projects I am working on now?
What I am really concerned about is that older projects are no longer available to edit or work with. Are they just gone?
I have them in their finished form in "My Videos" but they are not edit-able.
Help Help Help!
WLMM 2011 is working OK (except for losing my old movies) so is there any reason to download 2012?
movies.blainesville.com
Top 25 Poster
Forum Moderator

Posted: 28 Aug 2013 09:37 AM
Rather than replying to an existing question, you should create your own. Go to the forum category that best fits your question.
For example: view forum 34

Then in the upper left you should see a button with rounded corners that says 'New Thread'.

Anyway, to answer your questions:
1) When you save your projects, you give them a file name and they end up on your computer with an extension of .wlmp. You can always go to Windows Explorer, find the project file and open it that way. However, as a help, Movie Maker also shows you a limited set of the most recent project files in the File menu. That doesn't mean that the other projects are gone just that you'll have to open them directly from Explorer, not from the Recent projects list. I'm not sure where you are saving your project files, but start by looking in the Videos folder.
2) If you install Movie Maker 2012, you can open project files from WLMM 2011. There should be no issues and all your recent projects should still be available. A couple caveats though: Movie Maker 2012 does have slightly higher hardware requirements and you may need to update your video graphics driver. Also, if you find you have problems and want to downgrade back to the 2011 version, any projects saved from 2012 will not be able to be reopened in 2011. For that reason, I suggest keeping your existing projects and only saving with new names from 2012 until you are sure that it will meet your needs.
3) 2012 has a few new features such as the ability to add narration, a second audio track (so music + sound/narration), ability to add colored outlines to text in captions/titles, ability to save in .mp4 format as well as .wmv, and the ability to use video as a source of additional audio (say with a voice over).

Blaine
YouTube videos
Previous Thread :: Next Thread 
Page 1 of 1

Movie Maker Forums  > Windows Movie Maker  > Windows Live Movie Maker 2011  > Windows Movie Maker 2012 released today