[Lights, Camera, Action]

Home    Forums    Tutorials    Search    Books    Links 

Windows Movie Maker tips, tutorials, forums and more...

Windows Movie Maker Home   Search   Login   Register   Member List  
Windows Movie Maker  > Capturing and Importing Media  > Freemake Conversion failed    
Previous Thread :: Next Thread 
 Author Thread: Freemake Conversion failed
Browsing is not online. Last active: 12/29/2011 2:58:28 PM Browsing
Total Posts: 6

Freemake Conversion failed
Posted: 23 Dec 2011 07:34 AM
I know this is more of a Freemake problem than a MovieMaker thing, but can't blame me for trying?
I am using Windows Vista (64) and MovieMaker is version 6.0 (build 6002: SP2) at the moment...

I want to download some videos from Youtube that are about 20 to 35 minutes long. I noticed moderators suggesting Freemake Video Converter so I downloaded version 3.0.1. The conversion fails on me on two crucial moments.
1) If I try to CONVERT an already downloaded .MP4 file to .WMV and an error occurs right off the bat. In under a second the program displays "conversion error" and the message reads "Please make sure the files are not corrupted". Converter says that the MP4 files are H264 (16:9) in video format and the audio is AAC

The file(s) do play in VLC player, so not corrupted? Well anyways, I tried another way to get around it - let the FreeMake handle it straight from the beginning.

2) Paste URL -action in the Freemake: I pasted, it downloaded. At 50% (I assume that is when the conversion to .WMV kicks in) the process fails and error is the same - corrupt file.

So yeah... Getting a bit frustraded but I'll get over it... I have to since .AVI files work fine on the project side of the MovieMaker but will not let me publish. That's why I try to convert the originally downloaded MP4's to MWV's...

The MP4 files themselves are not even displayed as an option when I try to import them to the MovieMaker.

Thank you for reading this... Congrats if you can even solve this...
considerate_guy is not online. Last active: 4/19/2014 2:17:45 AM considerate_guy
movies.blainesville.com
Top 25 Poster
Forum Moderator
Total Posts: 23724

Re: Freemake Conversion failed
Posted: 23 Dec 2011 12:28 PM
Would you care to share the YouTube URL? I'd be interested in trying the conversion myself to see if the symptoms are reproducable.

Blaine
Movie Maker (Custom Titles, Effects. etc.)Cool
WMM 6.0 on Windows 7 or 8
YouTube videos

Posted: 23 Dec 2011 12:40 PM
Sure!
Here you go:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=89fW4MTJvRs

And thank you for even trying to solve my little problems... Although I am now strongly suspecting somenthing is screwing with my settings - but still I'd appreciate the help.
considerate_guy is not online. Last active: 4/19/2014 2:17:45 AM considerate_guy
movies.blainesville.com
Top 25 Poster
Forum Moderator

Posted: 23 Dec 2011 12:59 PM
I'm trying the conversion now. It is taking awhile to convert, but so far no failures. I'll keep you updated. It's currently at 63%.

Blaine
YouTube videos
movies.blainesville.com
Top 25 Poster
Forum Moderator

Posted: 23 Dec 2011 01:33 PM
It took about 48 minutes but it was able to convert it to a 657MB file. I'm running version 3.0.0.

I would expect it is important to have a consistent connection to the web to avoid timeouts.

Blaine
YouTube videos

Posted: 23 Dec 2011 02:34 PM
Figures...
d*mn ISP (Sonera). Checked my connection and turns out that my ping is steady at not-so-suspicious 250ms.

So I guess I'll go and rant about this to them. During Holidays - so the problem will get solved about 3 months from now... Dammit...

Thank you for your help!
arthurb is not online. Last active: 4/28/2012 6:59:13 PM arthurb
Total Posts: 39

Posted: 24 Dec 2011 10:47 AM
I had problems with converting YOUTUBE videos directly to WMV. I have found out that if you convert the video first to AVI and then take that video in an AVI format and convert it into a WMV format. I know it is pain but so far, it works every time.

I have three or video converters and everyone I have to convert to AVI and then into WMV format. It cannot hurt to try it!

Posted: 24 Dec 2011 08:09 PM
What the... Conversion to AVI worked for some odd reason. Thanks for that arthurb!
Unfortunetly it still doesn't want to be converted into WMV though. Weird. I wonder if I'm missing something VERY obvious or something...

(Tested with the Freemake Video Converter 3.0.1 and Windows Vista combo)

Posted: 24 Dec 2011 08:35 PM
I know this is going to sound like a stupid question but did you use the AVI file and tried to convert that into a WMV file?

Next convert the orinal file into a mpg file and then into a WMV file.

If all fails I would suggest deleting the Free Maker and download it again. Maybe you missed a codec for the WMV. Can't hurt!

Posted: 24 Dec 2011 08:37 PM
By the way, what did you download the YOUTUBE for anyway? If it is to burn onto a DVD or CD, the AVI file will record just fine.

Posted: 24 Dec 2011 09:57 PM
I copied the Youtube link to the converter and clicked the AVI form. Success.
Then I proceeded to use the newly converted AVI file to hammer it in the shape of WMV. Failed.

Now what I did was:
Youtube->AVI->MPG->WMV but the MPG to WMV fails and announces a corrupt file. I don't get this...

My intention is to use Youtube-clips & some fancypants images to make a MovieMaker project that actually publishes properly. Now the situation with the project is that all of the clips are in AVI form and the MovieMaker flatout refuses to work with me in terms of publishing (although preview is just fine).
So no, I'm not planning on burning this to a CD or DVD.

Thanks again so far, I'll try and download the converter again later on (after I get some sleep that is).

Posted: 24 Dec 2011 10:37 PM
I think I have a solution for you. Download this program called MediaJoin. It is a free program that will convert your clips into any format AND join them together for your use in Movie Maker.

I cannot tell how many times I have downloaded full movies from YOUTUBE and converted them to WMV format. BUT that program will not convert YOUTUBE videos. You will have to use the FREEMAKER converter to convert your videos into AVI THEN use the Media Join to convert/join your clips together. Here is the download:

http://download.cnet.com/MediaJoin/3000-2141_4-55939.html

If you decide to get the MediaJoin software you will find your converted file in the PROGRAM FILES in the C: drive. Just look for thr folder marked Media Join and there will be your converted file.

Posted: 24 Dec 2011 10:40 PM
If the link does not work, copy/paste it into your address bar.

Posted: 25 Dec 2011 07:39 PM
Firefox has the cool method of moving in the web nowdays. Just select the link and press secondary mousebutton. Then select open/open in a new window/open in a new tab.

Anyways: Just realised another VERY complicated method of using 2 computers. I can't use the other one so much, but I managed to get the episodes.
Here is how I did it:
1. Downloaded Freemake Downloader (3.0.0) and Freemake Converter (3.0.1) to the secondary computer (Windows 7).
2. Used the Downloader to get the Youtube-videos.
4. Downloaded & created a dropbox account.
5. Edited those videos before converting to save time (I only need a few minutes, so converting the useless 90% seemed unnecessary).
6. Selected Dropbox as the output-folder and then proceeded to convert the videos to WMV
7. Waited for the conversions to be completed and then picked them up to the primary computer from the Dropbox folder.
8. One videosync failed so I had to place the vid out of the folder and back again.
9. Got to MovieMaking.

Took me about 3-4 hours to figure this out and send in 6 different files. Really not that useful to be honest.

When I need some new vids, I'll report back and see if that suggested solution works. And that is propably going to be during the next few days... And as always: Thanks for the help!

Posted: 25 Dec 2011 08:02 PM
So you were able to get the Freemake converter to convert to WMV or did you download the MediaJoin as I suggested? If you did you will find it very helpful in the future.

By the way, did you know that FreeMake converter also joins clips together?

I used it to burn a DVD just to try it out.

I have never seen a program that does so much and it is all free!
Previous Thread :: Next Thread 
Page 1 of 1

Movie Maker Forums  > Windows Movie Maker  > Capturing and Importing Media  > Freemake Conversion failed