[Lights, Camera, Action]

Home    Forums    Tutorials    Search    Books    Links 

Windows Movie Maker tips, tutorials, forums and more...

Windows Movie Maker Home   Search   Login   Register   Member List  
Other Software  > Other Digital Media Software  > Nero Vision 10 and Nero Video 11    
Previous Thread :: Next Thread 
 Author Thread: Nero Vision 10 and Nero Video 11
glow is not online. Last active: 3/24/2018 8:25:13 PM glow
Top 25 Poster
Total Posts: 1441

Nero Vision 10 and Nero Video 11
Posted: 26 Nov 2011 07:56 PM
I had a play with Nero Vision 10 and Nero Vision 11 last week and I was quite impressed.

I had a project for a school show where I had footage from 3 cameras.
Combining 3 cameras in WMM would be a real pain because of the single video track.
However with Nero it was a snap because it's built for multi-track editing. It's really easy to synchronise the tracks on the timeline, select when you want each to appear and put cross fades in when switching between them. You can also make them appear as picture-in picture by just dragging and resizing them.

Nero also has lovely keyframe control so it's easy to animate picture-picture, logos and titles.
You just position your logo where you want at various times and the program interpolates the intervening frames to create smooth motion. For example I created titles using PNG overlays and got them to move from 0 to 100% in the vertical axis over a second on both the entrance and exit. It's possible to do this in WMM but there would be lots of mucking around with XML parameters.

Nero Vision 10 did crash when rendering my more complicated movies - a really bad crash because the Windows 7 PC just powered off. I'm used to WMM locking up but not crashing the whole PC. I tried to update to the latest version of Nero vision 10 but the update failed. Instead I downloaded a trial version of Nero Video 11 and was able to render the movie correctly. Note that for some reason when they went from version 10 to 11 they also changed the name from Nero Vision to Nero Video.

Nero had no trouble accepting the input video formats I had including AVC HD and SD DV video.

Nero has several output options including the DVD compatible MPEG2 I was after.

Having created the individual MPEG2 files I was able to author a DVD with Nero without re-encoding which saves time and preserves quality. I was able to author a lovely DVD with animated thumbnails, background music and a custom background.

Nero Video 11 costs USD 29.99 online but you can download a two week trial for free. If you upgrade from the trial you can actually get it for USD24.99

You can also buy Nero Vision/video as part of a larger suite including burning/copying/backup/recoding/media player functions but they didn't look so useful to me - there are plenty of free alternatives.

I use Firefox+Greasemonkey scripts for easier editing of forum posts, FAQs and displaying embedded images Wink
PapaJohn is not online. Last active: 2/23/2015 2:43:58 PM PapaJohn
www.papajohn.org
Top 25 Poster
Forum Moderator
Total Posts: 13291

Re: Nero Vision 10 and Nero Video 11
Posted: 26 Nov 2011 08:18 PM
thanks for the info...

... my website isn't here... it's at www.papajohn.org
considerate_guy is not online. Last active: 8/7/2015 5:49:08 PM considerate_guy
movies.blainesville.com
Top 25 Poster
Forum Moderator
Total Posts: 24219

Posted: 28 Nov 2011 12:39 PM
In reading through the features, I saw this:

Import Windows Live Movie Maker projects
Import and edit Windows Live Movie Maker projects directly within Nero 11. Open Windows Live Movie Maker video files directly, then immediately begin enhancing the original project with more effects for professional results, all within a seamless editing experience. Use Nero's Advanced Editing features to give your videos the professional touch.

I'm going to have to check it out.

Blaine
Movie Maker (Custom Titles, Effects. etc.)Cool
WMM 6.0 on Windows 7 or 8
YouTube videos
Top 25 Poster

Posted: 15 Apr 2012 05:10 AM
I used Nero Vision to make a couple of videos of my kids for a contest and they made the finals
http://www.officeworks.com.au/retail/landing/school_supply_sampler_finalists

The first two videos of Madeline and Tamsin are mine.
You can see how I used the key framing and multiple tracks to animate the overlays.
I applied key framing to position, rotation and cropping.
I don't think I could have done this in Movie Maker.

btw if you like the videos, please vote for them Smiley

I use Firefox+Greasemonkey scripts for easier editing of forum posts, FAQs and displaying embedded images Wink
movies.blainesville.com
Top 25 Poster
Forum Moderator

Posted: 15 Apr 2012 10:57 AM
Nicely done! Nicely produced!

If it were to be done in Movie Maker, it would be pretty tedious to try and hand-code the position, rotation and scaling to get anything close to that result.

Madeline and Tamsin are adorable and did a great job of reviewing the products. I'm assuming that was memorized because there was little to no hesitation in their descriptions. Keep us updated on the results.

Blaine
YouTube videos
Top 25 Poster

Posted: 15 Apr 2012 07:45 PM
Thanks for the appreciative comments Blaine.
We didn't really have a script - just sort of verbally worked out what they wanted to say and made a couple of takes, taking the best from each.

Top 25 Poster

Posted: 01 May 2012 06:17 PM
Great news - my daughter Madeline won the competition!
You can see her video at
http://www.officeworks.com.au/retail/landing/school_supply_sampler
(pity the aspect ratio isn't quite right)

Thanks to Blaine and everyone else who voted

movies.blainesville.com
Top 25 Poster
Forum Moderator

Posted: 01 May 2012 07:59 PM
Two bad it couldn't have been two girls... There was really no contest except I did think Rachel might have a chance with the humor she injected.

Blaine
YouTube videos
Top 25 Poster

Posted: 18 Jul 2012 08:39 AM
I've now gained a bit more experience with Nero and made another more entertaining video featuring another one of my kids, Jemma interviewing herself for the next installment of the same contest. I'm particularly proud of the picture in picture which was fun to do and so much easier than using WMM.

You can see it at
As before if you like the video please vote for Jemma Wink

Top 25 Poster

Posted: 06 Aug 2012 01:27 AM
My daughter Jemma actually won Term 2 of this competition. Thanks to everyone who voted.

Top 25 Poster

Posted: 05 Oct 2012 10:56 PM
I made another video with Tamsin and she won term 3.
This time I used a bit of Movie Maker because I wanted a 3x speed up effect and Nero 10 and 11 didn't have it.
So I used Blaine's Custom Speed Effects for Movie Maker (XP & Vista) - thanks Blaine - the effects are still useful 5 years on.Big Smile

You can see Tamsin's winning video and the other winners including her sisters at

Nero Video 12 has just come out and one of the new features is speed up and slow down effects. I'm looking forward to trying it out for my next project which will be the 3 grand final videos.

The standard retail price is still 29.99 USD but Nero has dropped the price for upgrading from the Trial version - now just 19.99 USD.
Not so good if you want to pay in Aussie dollars - 29.95 AUD - so I'll use USD.

movies.blainesville.com
Top 25 Poster
Forum Moderator

Posted: 06 Oct 2012 12:20 AM
Okay, you've left me mystified. That's Tamsin interviewing Tamsin, isn't it? Did you have a stand-in for the over-the-shoulder shots? And for the side-by-side wide shots, it looks like the camera is handheld... so how did you get a good split?

Blaine
YouTube videos
Top 25 Poster

Posted: 06 Oct 2012 12:26 AM
Indeed Tamsin is interviewing herself and does all the talking.
While we could have used a tripod and split screen effects it was easier to use her twin sister Jemma as a stunt double.Wink
To complete the illusion we also had the girls swap clothes.

If you see Jemma's winning video for term 2 we did the same thing but with Jemma doing all the talking.

movies.blainesville.com
Top 25 Poster
Forum Moderator

Posted: 06 Oct 2012 02:34 AM
Oooh! Twins! I never caught that before. Nice job as always.

Looking at Jemma's video, that was cool with the second video in perspective on the pad. Okay, for $19.99, I can hardly afford to NOT get Nero Video 12.

Blaine
YouTube videos
Top 25 Poster

Posted: 06 Oct 2012 06:32 AM
Indeed many people have said that the video overlayed on the sketch book was their favourite part of Jemma's video. Actually I couldn't quite figure out how to get the perspective in Nero - I just used rotation and cropping and it was close enough.

Top 25 Poster

Re: Nero Vision 10, Nero Video 11 and 12
Posted: 16 Nov 2012 01:43 AM
I used Nero Vision 12 to produce my daughters' latest videos for the Officeworks School Supply Sampler Grand Final.
Madeline, Jemma and Tamsin had a lot of fun this time around and got a bit more creative - see what you think

Certainly easier to use the speed up and slow down effects directly within Nero Vision instead of having to do them separately in Movie Maker this time.

Top 25 Poster

Posted: 05 Dec 2012 05:44 AM
Congratulations to Jemma who ended up winning the Officeworks video contest.
Thanks to everyone who voted for my girls in the competition this year.

delsinelu is not online. Last active: 12/1/2015 2:05:10 AM delsinelu
Total Posts: 21

Posted: 25 Aug 2015 03:13 AM
Thanks for information.
Previous Thread :: Next Thread 
Page 1 of 1

Movie Maker Forums  > Other Software  > Other Digital Media Software  > Nero Vision 10 and Nero Video 11