[Lights, Camera, Action]

Home    Forums    Tutorials    Search    Books    Links 

Windows Movie Maker tips, tutorials, forums and more...

Windows Movie Maker Home   Search   Login   Register   Member List  
Windows Movie Maker  > Technical Support  > Re: Chapters in WMM    
Previous Thread :: Next Thread 
 Author Thread: Chapters in WMM
johnr9q is not online. Last active: 7/23/2011 11:42:28 PM johnr9q
Total Posts: 53

Chapters in WMM
Posted: 29 Jun 2011 03:34 PM
I want to create chapters in the movies I create in Windows Live Movie Maker. When I rent a movie at BlockBuster and I open a movie to watch on my TV using my DVD player, before the actual movie begins you have the options: PLAY, BONUS FEATURES, SCENE SELECTIONS, SET UP etc. When I select SCENE SELECTIONS I have the options of skipping around the movie for various sections of the movie. I want to be able to do the same thing in the movies I create with movie maker. I did a search here and it looks like people are saying you can't do this in Movie Maker but they were using Vista or XP or other versions of Windows. I have Windows 7 Professional and have Windows Live Movie Maker not Windows Movie Maker. Can I have chapters as described with my software. I have searches for hours and spent hours with Microsoft Chat and live person telephone plus my Dell telephone support people and have gotten no where with what I think should be a simple question to answer. Thanks
considerate_guy is not online. Last active: 11/21/2014 12:15:45 AM considerate_guy
movies.blainesville.com
Top 25 Poster
Forum Moderator
Total Posts: 24122

Re: Chapters in WMM
Posted: 29 Jun 2011 03:49 PM
Windows Live Movie Maker (2011) does not differ in this respect from Windows Movie Maker (2.x or 6.0). None of them will allow you to insert chapter points in your completed movie.

That said, if you burn your movie to a DVD using Windows DVD Maker, it will create an opening menu and scenes for you. However, you are rather limited in how much control you have over that process. Much of the scene selection is automated.

Blaine
Movie Maker (Custom Titles, Effects. etc.)Cool
WMM 6.0 on Windows 7 or 8
YouTube videos

Posted: 29 Jun 2011 04:04 PM
considerate guy: Thanks so much for your help. What software do you recommend that allows me to have the features of Windows Movie Maker and also allows chapters.
considerate_guy is not online. Last active: 11/21/2014 12:15:45 AM considerate_guy
movies.blainesville.com
Top 25 Poster
Forum Moderator

Posted: 29 Jun 2011 04:30 PM
I haven't actually played around with creating chapter markers in a WMV. I was going to suggest Microsoft Expression Encoder which has the ability to add markers. You can find more links in the following thread. But that same person, though able to add some chapter markers was getting inconsistent results in the final playback.

Blaine
YouTube videos
movies.blainesville.com
Top 25 Poster
Forum Moderator

Posted: 29 Jun 2011 04:36 PM
Continuing on, I see you mentioned you wanted to playback your video on a TV. Do you intend to do this from a laptop sending images to the TV? Or do you want to build a DVD for playing in your player? Before you mentioned a TV, I assumed you just wanted chapters for playing on your computer and in Windows Media Player.

If you are looking to create a DVD with chapter buttons and the like, you can use Windows DVD Maker which comes with WLMM. You would want to save each chapter as its own "movie" and then bring those into DVD Maker.

Or if that doesn't meet with your needs, there are other applications for building a video DVD; you may already have some depending on what shipped with your computer. Or there are free or paid options that you can download or purchase.

Blaine
YouTube videos
splante is not online. Last active: 11/21/2014 8:04:40 PM splante
Top 50 Poster
Total Posts: 808

Posted: 29 Jun 2011 04:40 PM
Sony Vegas has versions that include DVD Architect and Cyberlink PowerDirector and Adobe Premiere Elements all have the ability to burn DVDs and edit movies. You should be able to smoothly go from the editor to the burner. I think most if not all of those offer trial downloads. I would strongly recommend downloading a trial just to make sure it is really going to work for you.
movies.blainesville.com
Top 25 Poster
Forum Moderator

Posted: 29 Jun 2011 04:47 PM
Unless you absolutely need to decide on your chapter points at the same time you are editing, most people go with a 2-step approach.

You can continue to use WLMM (Windows Live Movie Maker) for editing your video to create either a complete movie, or separate movies for each chapter. Then you can use any video DVD software for making the DVD with chapters.

As I noted, you can use Windows DVD Maker, but you have slightly less control over the actual chapters that are created since it is the one that decides, not you.

DVD Styler is another free DVD burning program that gives you some more options with menus.

I would try some of those options before jumping into paid choices.

Blaine
YouTube videos

Posted: 29 Jun 2011 11:48 PM
considerate guy: thanks for all your help so far. If I understand you correctly (Which I probably don't) you say I can create my video in WLMM with everything I need (in my use of it, it looks like it includes everything I nee plus a bunch more) and then create chapters in Windows DVD Maker which is exactly what I want to do. But then you throw in the the phrase "slightly less control over the actual chapters" which is not what I want to do. I want to have complete control over chapters. I want to make a DVD that I can watch on my TV that has many segments such as Bills Wedding, Trip in 2011, Scott playing ball, Jill's first birthday etc and be able to start the movie and see something on the screen that displays a title for each of these chapters and I can click on them to go directly to that point in the movie. Maybe, as someone suggested, I need to make separate "movies" of each of these segments and then put them on one DVD. If I did that would I then have the ability to see all the segments at the beginning of the movie and be able to go to each separate movie. Please explain things in very simple terms as I don't understand much of what you are saying as I am a beginner at this stuff and elderly so it's hard to teach an old dog new tricks.

Posted: 29 Jun 2011 11:51 PM
Also I wanted to add that I purchased Roxio Cerator 2011 today and after installing it, I don't have a clue of how to use it but Roxio and Bestbuy both told me it had the ability to put chapters in and had great technicial support. At least I know the basics on Windows Movie Maker now and would like to stay with that soft ware if I could resolve this Chapter issue

Posted: 29 Jun 2011 11:54 PM
Considerate Guy: You didn't answer a question I asked on the other thread I incorrectly created: When I open the movie I made using my DVD player and TV, before the movie starts there are two options on the bottom of the screen: PLAY and SCENES. What is SCENES for?
Top 50 Poster

Posted: 30 Jun 2011 07:03 AM
Generally speaking, scenes would be the equivalent of the chapters that you are looking for. It should be a list of different places you can start watching the movie.

Posted: 30 Jun 2011 09:26 AM
Splant: Thanks for the answer but your answer seems to differ from the information I am getting from considerate guy. If I understand him correctly he says in Windows Live Movie Maker there is no place where "It should be a list of different places you can start watching the movie" The quote is from your reply. I want to be able to place my chapters/Scene Selection/breaks where I want them and then be able to maneuver to them.
Top 50 Poster

Posted: 30 Jun 2011 09:33 AM
There is no way in WLMM to place a chapter/scene marker in the MIDDLE of a project. You can however feed several videos to DVD Maker and the start of each one will be the start of a scene.

If you make each scene as a separate movie, I believe you can then burn a movie that would use your list of movie files to make a list of scenes.
movies.blainesville.com
Top 25 Poster
Forum Moderator

Posted: 30 Jun 2011 10:25 AM
Again it comes down to how much control you have over setting chapters (aka scenes) in Windows DVD Maker. I didn't say that you couldn't create a DVD with chapters (aka scenes). I just said that Windows DVD Maker didn't give you much control over the process.

If you supply DVD Maker with several individual movie files, it will give priority to each of those being listed as 'scenes' on your DVD. But if you give it too many individual files, or too few, it will still try to determine some 'scenes' within your DVD content. Once it picks these scenes, you can't modify its choices.

Also, like I said, there are other DVD programs out there that will give you the additional control you crave, if the automated scene selection in DVD Maker is insufficient. Roxio Creator is one such program, so it appears you have solved your problem, is that correct?

Blaine
YouTube videos

Posted: 30 Jun 2011 11:43 AM
considerate guy: Yes you are correct. Now I have to figure out how to use Roxio Creator 2011. I spent an hour on chat this morning chatting with someone that had language and cultural differences that made communication very slow and difficult. I simply wanted to know what the difference was between Roxio MovieMaker and Roxio Creator 2011. (when I loaded the software for RoxioCreator 2011 I purchased yesterday both appeared on my desk top) Finally after an hour of not providing an answer and going off into various tangents that didn't make any since the supervisor came on and said the difference was with MovieMaker you can share your slideshow on the internet and with Creator 2011 you can't. Sorry to bore you with my troubles.

Posted: 01 Jul 2011 05:23 PM
Considerate guy: As I understand what you are saying: I can create all my scenes/chapters in Windows Live Movie maker and then place all these individual scenes/chapters into Windows DVD Maker and I will have what I want with me in total control of Scene/chapter selection at the beginning of the DVD on my TV. Or are you saying I should put all the individual scene/chapters together in one long slideshow in Windows Live Movie Maker and then just import the entire thing to Windows DVD maker? How will I get the DVD that I burn in Windows DVD maker to show all the chapter/scenes at the beginning of the movie so I can see maybe the first picture in the scene/chapter and read a definition of my scenes/chapters and then be able to click on each of these scene/chapters to go directly to each one?
movies.blainesville.com
Top 25 Poster
Forum Moderator

Posted: 02 Jul 2011 01:36 AM
From the Windows DVD Maker FAQ:

Scenes are created for your DVD based on the type and number of files that you add to the DVD. You can have more control over how scenes appear on your DVD by understanding how scenes are created in Windows DVD Maker. A DVD can have up to 18 total scenes.

If you add more than one video file, Windows Movie Maker project file, or a combination of video files, pictures, and Windows Movie Maker project files, then one scene is created for each one of the following things:
• Windows Movie Maker project file.
• Video file.
• Slide show (which is a group of pictures).

If you add only one file to the DVD (for example one video file, one Windows Movie Maker project, or one slide show), then:
• Multiple scenes are created for the added Windows Movie Maker project file by dividing the project into equal lengths and creating a scene for each part.
• Multiple scenes are created based on time stamps so that video recorded around the same time is kept together (if the video file has time stamps in it).
Time stamps are added by the DV camera when video is recorded. As a result, the time stamp information appears in the imported video file as well.
• Multiple scenes are created for the added video file by dividing the video into equal lengths and creating a scene for each video segment (if there is no time stamp information in the video file).
• Multiple scenes are created for the slide show by dividing the slide show into equal lengths and creating a scene for each part.

Blaine
YouTube videos
Previous Thread :: Next Thread 
Goto to page:  Prev Next

Movie Maker Forums  > Windows Movie Maker  > Technical Support  > Re: Chapters in WMM