[Lights, Camera, Action]

Home    Forums    Tutorials    Search    Books    Links 

Windows Movie Maker tips, tutorials, forums and more...

Windows Movie Maker Home   Search   Login   Register   Member List  
Windows Movie Maker  > Publishing and Saving Movies  > Movie Maker Not Responding message after trying to save my video    
Previous Thread :: Next Thread 
 Author Thread: Movie Maker Not Responding message after trying to save my video
magpie259890 is not online. Last active: 6/29/2011 11:29:16 PM magpie259890
Total Posts: 3

Movie Maker Not Responding message after trying to save my video
Posted: 29 Jun 2011 09:03 PM
I started on a video today and worked on it for several hours. It was supposed to be a gift for my mother for her birthday, a mix of pictures and videos from our vacation. I had to go run some errands so I tried to save the video. The bar came up showing the saving progress so I left the program open on my laptop and left. When I got back the program said it was not responding. It says I can close or wait for the program to respond. Will the program ever respond? I've been waiting on it.. I can't close the program because I will lose several hours of work. I tried checking to see if it had saved before the not responding message, and it did not. It says there are 0 bytes under the properties of the file.

What can I do to fix this so I do not lose this very important work I have already done?????????
considerate_guy is not online. Last active: 12/20/2014 12:50:55 PM considerate_guy
movies.blainesville.com
Top 25 Poster
Forum Moderator
Total Posts: 24161

Re: Movie Maker Not Responding message after trying to save my video
Posted: 29 Jun 2011 09:17 PM
First question, did you save your project first before trying to publish your movie? If yes, then you should be able to recover your project file. If no, then you probably need to start again. As for finishing, the program is stuck and will not ever complete. It is hung and you'll need to either kill the process or logout of Windows.

A few frustrating things about WMM that I wish were told to everyone before they started:
1) If using an older version of WMM (e.g. 2.1 in XP), you can experience problems when you get above ~100 photos.
2) If using video other than .wmv format, you may experience problems during editing or hanging during saving. To prevent this, convert all videos files to .wmv beforehand, using something like 'Freemake Video Converter'.
3) If using audio/music other than .wma or .wav, (e.g. .mp3), convert the audio files to .wma before starting.
4) Don't build too complex a project all at once. Be sure to save your project frequently and do an occasional test save as a movie. I also like working on part of the movie at a time, in separate projects. So I might only do about 5 minutes in a project; and save each part as its own movie. At the end you can take each of these movies and splice them together in one master project. The other advantage is if any one part ends up crashing/hanging (like you just experienced) you don't lose all your progress.

Blaine
Movie Maker (Custom Titles, Effects. etc.)Cool
WMM 6.0 on Windows 7 or 8
YouTube videos

Posted: 29 Jun 2011 09:37 PM
Yes those would be very helpful things to know before hand. I just got the program in hopes of completing this project for her birthday on Monday.
I was simply trying to save the project when it froze, I was not trying to 'publish'.....
splante is not online. Last active: 12/9/2014 9:21:13 AM splante
Top 50 Poster
Total Posts: 809

Posted: 29 Jun 2011 10:05 PM
Are you using Windows Live Movie Maker? I would caution you be careful using WLMM to make a big important project. WLMM has a bug where project files will get corrupted and won't open after working on them for a while.

Breaking it up into chunks would be a very good idea.

Posted: 29 Jun 2011 11:09 PM
Yes I was using Windows Live Movie Maker, and I will not be using it ever again.
Is there another program you would recommend where I could complete this project?
splante is not online. Last active: 12/9/2014 9:21:13 AM splante
Top 50 Poster
Total Posts: 809

Posted: 29 Jun 2011 11:14 PM
You have a couple of choices. I would recommend Movie Maker 6.0 for combining the videos. Follow the advice above and you should be fine it it. considerate_guy has an installer for 6.0 on his blog.

For the photos, you could try Photo Story 3. It allows you more freedom with photos than Movie Maker does. Do a search on Photo Story 3 and you should find a link for it. You can import the movie you save from Photo Story 3 into Movie Maker to combine them together.
vitamindimo is not online. Last active: 6/2/2012 2:34:58 AM vitamindimo
Total Posts: 2

Posted: 02 Jun 2012 02:32 AM
I was using .MP4 files instead of .WMV and I ran into the 'not responding' error when saving the movie (didnt happen until I was several hours into the project). The following fix worked for me:

- converted all my .MP4 files used in my movie to .wmv files with Freemake Video Converter and saved them in the same directory as the original .MP4 files
- opened the .wlmp file in a text editor like Wordpad
- replaced all .MP4 with .wmv, then saved the file
- reopened the .wlmp file in Movie Maker, everything worked fine since

FYI I used Windows Live Movie Maker on Windows 7 but I'm guessing this will work for earlier versions as well.
hihihihi is not online. Last active: 5/24/2013 10:37:25 AM hihihihi
Total Posts: 1

Posted: 24 May 2013 10:37 AM
!!!!!!!! We saved the movie and opened it on anther computer with the same program. the music was there and playing but the where the pictures would be there was a black space with a triangle with an "!". What does this mean?????
Previous Thread :: Next Thread 
Page 1 of 1

Movie Maker Forums  > Windows Movie Maker  > Publishing and Saving Movies  > Movie Maker Not Responding message after trying to save my video