[Lights, Camera, Action]

Home    Forums    Tutorials    Search    Books    Links 

Windows Movie Maker tips, tutorials, forums and more...

Windows Movie Maker Home   Search   Login   Register   Member List  
Windows Movie Maker  > Windows Live Movie Maker 2011  > WLMM - Drop Shadow Text Effect    
Previous Thread :: Next Thread 
 Author Thread: WLMM - Drop Shadow Text Effect
Elysium256 is not online. Last active: 7/12/2015 12:49:05 AM Elysium256
Total Posts: 3

WLMM - Drop Shadow Text Effect
Posted: 17 May 2011 01:38 AM
Hi,

I'm new to video editing in general - Windows Live Movie Maker is the first editing program I've used. My needs were pretty basic for the video I wanted to do, but I wanted to have the ability to add a drop shadow to each of my captions. After some searching I realized that no one had found a way to do this with the Live version, so I edited one of the cinematic text effects to try and accomplish this.

I couldn't find a way to have this show up as a separate effect, so you will have to make a backup of the existing files before you overwrite them with my edited versions.

Installation:

1) Download WLMM Drop Shadow Text Effect.zip

2) Backup TextEffectCinematicCaption1Template.wlmx and TextEffectCinematicTitleTemplate.wlmx from your C:\Program Files\Windows Live\Photo Gallery\MovieMakerTemplates (C:\Program Files (x86)\Windows Live\Photo Gallery\MovieMakerTemplates for 64-bit) to another folder.

3) Extract the contents of WLMM Drop Shadow.zip into the MovieMakerTemplates folder and overwrite the existing files.

After this is done, the text effects 'Cinematic - burst 1' and 'Cinematic - burst 2' will be used for the drop shadow effect. The reason for the two effects was for a shortcoming I couldn't resolve. The offset for the drop shadow effect doubles for each additional line of text. I needed up to two lines for my purposes so I made 'Cinematic - burst 1' for captions with one line of text and 'Cinematic - burst 2' for two lines of text.

I apologize that I couldn't make this process less of a hassle but maybe someone more experienced can take this and improve upon it.

For an example of what this looks like, you can check out the subtitles (captions) on this video.

I hope this helps!
filipf is not online. Last active: 6/10/2011 1:41:11 AM filipf
Total Posts: 1

Re: WLMM - Drop Shadow Text Effect
Posted: 10 Jun 2011 01:11 AM
Thanks for this! It was just what i was looking for. Very clear explanation and very simple and effective final result. Good job!

Posted: 13 Jun 2011 12:39 AM
Thanks for the compliment! I'm glad it worked for you.

Just as an update - The video I linked to was removed, so I went ahead and made an example image instead.
richiemac is not online. Last active: 10/13/2011 2:23:10 AM richiemac
Total Posts: 1

Posted: 13 Oct 2011 02:21 AM
Hello,

I performed the installation as you stated; however, where are the 'Cinematic - burst 1' and 'Cinematic - burst 2' so that I can "drop shadow" the text?

Thanks!

Richiemac
moviemakerkid is not online. Last active: 1/13/2015 11:03:35 PM moviemakerkid
Top 25 Poster
Total Posts: 1174

Posted: 13 Oct 2011 03:15 AM
Hi richiemac. I'm currently on my phone but when i get home I will take a look at this effect. As windows live movie maker updates some custom add ons are broken. If they are broken I will fix the effect. If not I will further assist you if someone else doesn't get to you first.

My Downloads For Movie Maker

Posted: 31 Oct 2011 07:14 PM
My apologies for not replying sooner - it seems I didn't enable e-mailing for replies to this thread.

'Cinematic - burst 1' and 'Cinematic - burst 2' are available from a drop down list of effects anytime you are editing a text field. They would appear under the orange 'Text Tools' tab and then the 'Format' tab which is directly beneath it. From there you should be able to see a row of thumbnail squares to the right that depict various effects you can choose from. At the end of this row there is there is a small down arrow that will expand the entire list of available effects. If you navigate to the 'Cinematic' row, they will be the first two listed effects.
Cyber_Toon is not online. Last active: 11/14/2013 9:23:00 PM Cyber_Toon
Total Posts: 4

Posted: 28 Oct 2013 07:21 PM
@Elysium256> "The offset for the drop shadow effect doubles for each additional line of text."
That is in fact incorrect. The offset gets multiplied by the number of lines. Therefore One line gets multiplied by 1, which leaves it the same, and 2 lines is multiplied by two, etc etc.
So one solution could be to find the amount of lines, then divide the offset by the amount if lines.
OmegaPC777 is not online. Last active: 10/13/2016 6:28:42 PM OmegaPC777
Total Posts: 26

Posted: 02 Aug 2016 03:41 PM
When I tried to use templates you made, WLMM freaking crashed. Is there a solution to this problem, or does it need to be updated?

I make YTPs and effect videos: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCc5ROnYDjc4hynqsLFw4Fzg
neophyte is not online. Last active: 1/22/2017 8:18:23 AM neophyte
neos-world.is-great.org
Top 25 Poster
Forum Moderator
Total Posts: 20113

Posted: 02 Aug 2016 05:59 PM
I don't have a solution. However, I did want you to know that it also crashed in my version of WLMM and I'm pretty sure I have the latest version.

I hear and I forget. I see and I remember. I do and I understand. -- Confucius
Previous Thread :: Next Thread 
Page 1 of 1

Movie Maker Forums  > Windows Movie Maker  > Windows Live Movie Maker 2011  > WLMM - Drop Shadow Text Effect