[Lights, Camera, Action]

Home    Forums    Tutorials    Search    Books    Links 

Windows Movie Maker tips, tutorials, forums and more...

Windows Movie Maker Home   Search   Login   Register   Member List  
Other Software  > Other Digital Media Software  > Video Time Reversal making some bad AVI file conversions    
Previous Thread :: Next Thread 
 Author Thread: Video Time Reversal making some bad AVI file conversions
digiday is not online. Last active: 9/30/2011 2:38:01 AM digiday
Total Posts: 142

Video Time Reversal making some bad AVI file conversions
Posted: 13 May 2011 06:08 PM
Hi again expert troubleshooters,

I'm having a strange experience with Xander's Video Time Reversal... with some conversions, it creates reversed AVI files that play fine and import in to any of the MM and WLMM apps.

The "Xander's Video Time Reversal" app was downloaded at this link...

"Xander's Video Time Reversal"

But with some AVI files, it goes through the process and converts the AVI file, but then that AVI file won't play or import in to anything... this doesn't have anything to do with the DV converter that converts to type II AVIs... it's just a problem with some AVIs that Video Time Reversal creates... in other words, these original files being converted in Xander's Video Time Reversal (XVTR) must be Type II AVI files already since XVTR sees them and goes through the conversion process for reversing... it just renders some useless files.

Previously, with an AVI file that was saved from MM6 (a GIF animation), I used DV Converter to make that AVI file a Type II, and XVTR created an AVI file that works fine... and it still does in a test I just did.

And with an AVI file that was saved out of Adobe Premiere that I just tested, XVTR created a reversed AVI file that also plays and imports just fine... and it did not require any conversion to Type II in DV Converter first.

But with a short AVI file that I saved from CamStudio, and an AVI that was converted to AVI from an MPEG in WinFF, apparently both Type II AVIs since XVTR did not require a conversion with DV Converter first, those files, after seemingly a successful conversion in XVTR, will not play at all in WMP or in IrfanView.

These problem file conversions that won't play or import have no data under "Properties>Details", whereas the XVTR files that do play and import correctly show all the normal data under "Properties>Details>.

And when I try to play them in WMP, I get the message, "Windows Media Player encountered a problem while playing the file"... IrfanView shows the message, "Error:Windows can't play this file! Windows error text: Can't create video player or Unknown codec.". And when I try to import them in to WLMM, it gives the message, "Do you want to remove "Filename.avi" from the project? The file might be corrupted or in a fomat that Movie Maker doesn't recognize. This movie can't be saved or published until "Filename.avi" is removed from the project. Error: 0xC946001E"... and MovieMaker 6 just says, "File could not be imported".

Does anyone have any idea why XVTR sometimes creates good AVI files and others that it saves won't work?

Thanks,

digi

Re: Video Time Reversal making some bad AVI file conversions
Posted: 13 May 2011 06:41 PM
PS: I registered on the French "La communauté de Xander" forum site to ask this question, but after registering, it tells me that an administrator has to approve my registration to be able to post a question. And the site will display in English I think, but not until I'm able to log in, so I can't post a question or do a search since it will only display in French until my registration is approved.

So much for the French Connection.

Posted: 13 May 2011 07:08 PM
Well, now I tried converting my Type II AVI that, when run through XVTR, creates a bad AVI file that won't play... now I put it though MM6 and saved it as a DV-AVI-NTSC file, which is the beginning of the process that worked when I saved a GIF animation from MM6 to an AVI that converted to Type II AVI and then to a successful reversed file before.

So I get a Type I AVI from MM6, I guess (DV-AVI-NTSC), then convert that back to Type II in DV Converter (even though it was a Type II to begin with) and then run that through XVTR, but now that has produced a file that not only doesn't show a thumbnail of the video, like the other bad files that showed the default AVI icon, but this new useless file shows a big gray box as the icon... yet it does show data that indicates it is a video file in the Properties>Details panel.

Why is converting to a reversed video file so difficult?... I mean, why can't they just make a "reverse" button in WLMM?

As it is, I can reproduce successfully reversed files with the same files that I was successful with before, but there is nothing that seems to work for a few other AVI files no matter what I do, even when converting to Type I AVI, and reconverting back to Type II with DV Converter before running through XVTR, which is what does work with some other AVI files.

Thanks,

digi

Posted: 13 May 2011 07:51 PM
Well, now I converted my AVI from MM6 to a Type II MPEG AVI with Freemake Video Converter and that plays fine, looks good and is processes through XVTR completely and produces an AVI that has a thumbnail preview and it does play... but it plays in reverse looking like huge chunky pixels about a quarter inch in size and it is completely bizarre... if I was going for the most strange unpleasing pixelated looking effect, then this would be it.

I think XVTR works once in a while, but otherwise is pretty funky... and I can't get on their forum since I'm still waiting for "administrator approval" from France.

digi
considerate_guy is not online. Last active: 8/27/2014 2:29:39 PM considerate_guy
movies.blainesville.com
Top 25 Poster
Forum Moderator
Total Posts: 23981

Posted: 13 May 2011 07:51 PM
Other options for reversing clips:
view post 6773

Blaine
Movie Maker (Custom Titles, Effects. etc.)Cool
WMM 6.0 on Windows 7 or 8
YouTube videos

Posted: 13 May 2011 08:54 PM
Wow, it's hard to believe that thread spans 7 years.

It seems from the disagreements back and forth on that thread over the years about Rehan's method of using two different apps and writing script files in notepad, that it may be easier to have the desired video clip re-enacted in reverse with professional actors and special effects teams than it would be to use Rehan's method.

Then there is XVTR, that worked for me before and still works for some files, but just won't work on other files and produces blank or unusable files 75 percent of the time, and Xander's French forum admin committee is asleep at the wheel while I wait for approval to ask a question.

Then there is Stupeflix.com, which seems to be all the name implies since they are talking about a webpage with an upload button to upload a forward clip to, and then a download button to get the reversed clip from... but the link for this magic page is nowhere to be found in the conversation on the blog site that it is linked from or this WMM.net thread, and Stupeflix.com itself currently shows no feature of the kind.

Then finally at the long awaited end of this thread, there is a link to K-5 Video... but the link doesn't work, so I went to the base site URL and did find the "K-5 Video Reversal Tool" and after reading the description about the needed codec pack and deciphering which download button is actually for the Video Reversal Tool and not one of those trick "Download Here" buttons that takes me to a virus laden site in Siberia, I did find a download link for it that is from Cnet.com.

Now, Cnet.com was once, in my mind, a trusted source for malware free downloads, as their mission statement talks about, but a few months ago I discovered that they do have software that they declare malware free that is so infested with malware, spyware and adware that it shuts some machines down completely, based on numerous software reviewers for something called "Freecorder Toolbar", which I never ended up downloading... but Cnet still is denying that Applian, who makes Freecorder, puts anything bad in their software, in spite of what all of the many reviewers had to say on the Cnet site.

So this leads me to my final question Regis (or is that answer... I don't care). Since "Oakie" has just posted his reference/commercial for his "K-5 Video Reversal Tool" on that thread as of April 18th, 2011, (but he wasn't bright enough to post the correct working link to it for his own website)... and Cnet.com has had the download for this gem since 3 days later on 04/21, does anyone know if the K-5 Video Time Reversal Tool or the codec pack that is recommending is packed with any malware, adware or spyware?

Thanks,

digiday

Posted: 13 May 2011 08:58 PM
And according to the Stupeflix blog, iMovie has a built in "REVERSE" button... why can't anyone else to that?

Posted: 14 May 2011 04:29 AM

I think I see one of many problems now... Xander's Video Time Reversal app works with short clips, maybe up to a couple of minutes, as I've got it to work on a clip that is one and a half minutes long, but on longer clips, maybe five or seven minutes, it produces useless, blank files.

And I went ahead and installed K-5 Video Reversal Tool... first it gave an error message when I tried to install it when it got to installing ffmpeg, but then I right-clicked and installed as administrator and it installed correctly.

But when trying to convert a short, basic AVI file that otherwise works and imports in to anything, this app flashes the command prompt screen for about half a second, then it states "conversion finished" immediately in the status box and shows the path to a new file with "-reverse.avi" on the end, but there is no new file to be found.

I've tried so many things over the course of the entire day today and I'm a bit weary with little apps that mostly don't work, like Xander's VTR app.

Even Adobe Premiere is producing unusable files with horizontal lines and one frame per second frame rates in 4 gigabyte files that take an hour and a half to convert from a 7 minute file when converting to a reversed AVI.

Otherwise I can compile my own avs files in Notepad, use VirtualDub and Avisynth and do a hat trick to try to get a reversed file with that magic act... or do some reversal of frames compilation science experiment.

My kingdom for a reverse button.

Previous Thread :: Next Thread 
Page 1 of 1

Movie Maker Forums  > Other Software  > Other Digital Media Software  > Video Time Reversal making some bad AVI file conversions