[Lights, Camera, Action]

Home    Forums    Tutorials    Search    Books    Links 

Windows Movie Maker tips, tutorials, forums and more...

Windows Movie Maker Home   Search   Login   Register   Member List  
Windows Movie Maker  > Publishing and Saving Movies  > Editing after saving?    
Previous Thread :: Next Thread 
 Author Thread: Editing after saving?
saudade is not online. Last active: 4/29/2011 11:25:15 AM saudade
Total Posts: 2

Editing after saving?
Posted: 28 Apr 2011 05:25 AM
I am sure that this is a ridiculously stupid question...so please excuse my ignorance. I just made my first slideshow/video and then saved it to my computer as a wma file, what I would like to know is if it is possible to edit it in Windows Live MovieMaker again after saving it? I have music that is playing along with photos with lyrics and right before I saved my "movie", I checked it and made sure that the lyrics I have were properly aligned with the music and photos, but then after saving it, much of them are off just the slightest which is frustrating.
What is the best way to go about editing it now? Is it common for that to happen or did I inadvertently mess it up without knowing it?

TIA for any info you can give me to help me out here. Slight sleep deprivation is making me a little slow thinker right about now.

Valerie
splante75 is not online. Last active: 3/23/2012 3:43:51 PM splante75
Total Posts: 162

Re: Editing after saving?
Posted: 28 Apr 2011 07:06 AM
Did you also save a copy of the project file? If you did, just open up that file and you should be able to edit without any troubles.

Did you use an MP3 file for the music in your video? If so, that could be the reason the lyrics are off. Converting the MP3 to WMA or WAV and then using that file should give better results.

You say that you made a slideshow/video. Did you have video clips with sound you would like to have show up in the final movie? If not, you could import the WMV file you made back into WLMM and bring in a WMA or WAV version of your music and get them to line up. If you did not have any video tracks you want audio from in the final movie, you could just turn the volume all the way down on your original movie so the only audio is from the music file. Otherwise, if you did not save the project file, it will be very tricky to get the audio right.
saudade is not online. Last active: 4/29/2011 11:25:15 AM saudade
Total Posts: 2

Posted: 28 Apr 2011 11:01 AM
Thank you for the information! No, I didn't save the project before saving it to my computer. I had a feeling that was where I went wrong, I had been working on it so long and so late into the night that I just wasn't thinking. As far as importing the saved .WMV file back into the Movie Maker to edit it...this is where i'm confused, as I've tried to pull it up there and do that, but it doesn't seem to be capable of actually editing at this point, I must be doing something wrong or missing something. I see that I can ADD (but not change or move) captions there, and I can add animations or visual effects...but what I really need to edit is the music....(take off the mp3 file, as you suggested and replace it with .wav which I have converted and then move the captions around or adjust some of the frames so that it's all in sync with the music....but I can't seem to figure out how I can do that after opening the .WMV file in the Windows Live Movie Maker (are we using the same Windows Movie Maker? I'm totally new to this stuff, so I'm not very familiar with what is or could be out there as far is this type of software.

I wish I had found this information before I spent so much time working with .mp3 files, because I think you are absolutely right about that being the reason the lyrics are off after saving the file. I do have a video clip in it, but it's not anything with audio, just a video loop, the rest are sill images.

I was hoping that it would automatically save it as a project whether I did so or not...and that someone could tell me a secret hidden file folder in my computer that it was saved to so I could retrieve it...but I knew it right after I saved it that I should have saved the project FIRST. Oh well. Haha.

Thank you for your help!

Valerie
splante75 is not online. Last active: 3/23/2012 3:43:51 PM splante75
Total Posts: 162

Posted: 28 Apr 2011 11:54 AM
When you saved the movie file, Windows Live Movie Maker combined all of the ingredients together into a video file that you cannot pull apart now. It would be like trying to remove the flower from a cake that was baked and replace it with another flour.

My suggestion at this point is that you go into the audio controls in WLMM and mute the volume on the video clip and see how well the wave file lines up with your captions. Maybe you'll get lucky and they will line up okay.

My main video machine is an XP machine, so I haven't used WLMM a lot and don't know off the top of my head how to mute the video clip, but know it is possible.
considerate_guy is not online. Last active: 11/1/2014 1:36:00 AM considerate_guy
movies.blainesville.com
Top 25 Poster
Forum Moderator
Total Posts: 24082

Posted: 28 Apr 2011 07:46 PM
To mute a clip in WLMM, select the clip and choose the 'Video Tools' tab. On the left you should see volume controls. Similarly for music clips, click the 'Music Tools' tab and find the music volume controls on the left.

Blaine
Movie Maker (Custom Titles, Effects. etc.)Cool
WMM 6.0 on Windows 7 or 8
YouTube videos
Previous Thread :: Next Thread 
Page 1 of 1

Movie Maker Forums  > Windows Movie Maker  > Publishing and Saving Movies  > Editing after saving?