[Lights, Camera, Action]

Home    Forums    Tutorials    Search    Books    Links 

Windows Movie Maker tips, tutorials, forums and more...

Windows Movie Maker Home   Search   Login   Register   Member List  
Other Software  > Other Digital Media Software  > Problem converting using Xilisoft Video Converter    
Previous Thread :: Next Thread 
 Author Thread: Problem converting using Xilisoft Video Converter
Snoopydoo is not online. Last active: 2/11/2011 7:15:39 AM Snoopydoo
Total Posts: 82

Problem converting using Xilisoft Video Converter
Posted: 15 Jan 2011 09:40 PM
Hi,

I purchased the Xilisoft Video Converter a few years ago and I love it. However, I recently ran into a problem with it.

Here are the details: I just bought a new Sony HDR-CX350V video camera with which I can film 1920x1080 and 1440x1080. The output it creates is of format MPEG4 AVC/H.264 (when I transfer the files from the camera to my PC, it always creates 2 files for each video: a .M2TS file which is the main video file and a .M2TS.MODD file which I have no clue what it is for). Now, because I use Windows Movie Maker under Vista to create my movies, I have no choice but to convert the files from my video camera because Windows Movie Maker does not read the MPEG4 AVC/H.264 types.

The problem which I have seems to be from the Xilisoft Video Converter. Reason I say so is because if I play the files directly from the camera on my TV, the videos look fantastic. However, if I play the video which has been converted using Xilisoft Video Converter, then it somehow screws up the final video. If I can describe it, it's as if the final video 'studders' as the image often shifts back a few pixels as if it was going back a few milliseconds. When I go to convert it, i choose the profile HD profile entitled HD H.264/MPEG-4 AVC VIDEO (*.mp4) to convert the files. I tried in many different formats (1920x1080, 1440x1080, etc.) and they always produce the same 'studdering' problem.

I have no clue what the problem is but I'm certain my Xilisoft Video Converter is NOT converting the file properly. Some people have told me to scrap the Xilisoft Video Converter but I don't want to as I love it and I figure it has to be able to convert those files properly: can they???

I can send you a sample converted file as an attachment so you can see what I mean by the video sort of 'studdering' (on the camera, the video is super smooth but not the converted version), if you send me your email address

I really hope you can find the solution to my problem as I really need to convert them properly.

Thanks for your quick reply.

PapaJohn is not online. Last active: 2/23/2015 2:43:58 PM PapaJohn
www.papajohn.org
Top 25 Poster
Forum Moderator
Total Posts: 13291

Re: Problem converting using Xilisoft Video Converter
Posted: 16 Jan 2011 01:37 AM
Hi Snoopydoo.... thanks for sending a copy. Your post and sample file make very interesting study pieces. I think I'll write a full article about the issue(s). Here are some of the things I see:

- my new Sony HDR-CX550 camcorder shoots the same or similar files to yours. Each scene produces an .M2TS file with the video/audio in it, a corresponding .MODD file with metadata about the file in it, and an .MOFF file which is an analysis of the scene's content. For movie editing projects you can ignore the .MODD and .MOFF files.

- WLMM 2011 in Windows 7 handles my .M2TS files so I havn't had to do the file conversions you're faced with.

- Your sample .wmv clip shows a very regular pattern of stopping any motion for a frame, and it happens every 15th frame. I did a test conversion of one of my .M2TS files, using Xilisoft's Video Converter Ultimate and got the same result. In my case it happens because the camcorder is shooting at 29.97 frames per second and the default conversion settings for Xilisoft include a frame rate of 25 per second. I assume it's the same with you.

- I did a number of test conversions, trying to get Xilisoft to use a 29.97 fps frame rate... and wasn't successful. WMV files kept coming out at 25 fps and checking each showed the same issue with every 15th frame.

Your options include:

- Some HD camcorders save to Motion JPEG AVI files. I tried using Xilisoft to convert the .M2TS files to .MJPEG and the resultant video file was fine... full HD sized video clips with a frame rate of 29.97.

- As the .M2TS files work in my WLMM 2011, I used it as a conversion utility and the saved wmv file had the 29.97 frame rate.

Other comments:

The issue with Xilisoft seems limited to HD sized WMV files.... that rings a bell with the same or a similar issue in early beta versions of WLMM that wouldn't accept a change when using a custom profile... maybe it's the advanced wmv codec forcing every HD sized video into the 25 fps setting.... or maybe it's just Xilisoft as WLMM 2011 maintains the 29.97 frame rate.

I routinely use the Xilisoft conversion utility also... and glad to know about this issue. Thanks again.

... my website isn't here... it's at www.papajohn.org

Posted: 16 Jan 2011 06:05 PM
Thanks for the info PapaJohn.

When you tried it, you used Xilisoft Video Converter Ultimate and the company asked me to try with the Ultimate version but I have not had the chance to try it out yet and according to your test, it will probably fail as well.

You mentioned it works great with WLMM:

1) Is there a link to get the WLMM free of charge (since I already have the WMM version on my machine, which came with Vista) or do people have to pay for it?

2) It WLMM just as easy to use as WMM and is it as good (or better), can it do all that WMM can do?

3) If you had a choice between WLMM and WMM, which one would you use?

So, if I went with WLMM, you think that will solve this problem because it can import these AVCHD type of files and convert them beautifully?

Thanks for all your input!
www.papajohn.org
Top 25 Poster
Forum Moderator

Posted: 16 Jan 2011 06:28 PM
You don't need to choose between WLMM and WMM.... you can use both and they don't conflict. Use WLMM as a conversion utility if it works for you, and then edit your projects in MM6 if you prefer. WLMM is free from....

http://download.live.com/

No, WLMM can't do everything MM6 can do.... for example it can't use 3rd party or custom effects and transitions.

www.papajohn.org
Top 25 Poster
Forum Moderator

Posted: 17 Jan 2011 12:52 PM
I removed the Xilisoft Video Converter from my website as being my preferred all-purpose conversion utility, and stopped providing downloadable copies of the trial versions.

Posted: 20 Jan 2011 06:21 PM
Hi,

OK, so I've downloaded WLMM from the link provided by PapaJohn and all that went fine.

However, when I go into WLMM and I ask to add a video file to my project, it's ok for many types of files but when I try to load an .M2TS file, it does not do it and displays like a film reel with a yellow triangle in them which have an exclamation point on them.

If I double click on the yellow icons, it says that the files is damaged or in a format that Movie Maker does not recognize. (I know for a fact that the file is not damaged, so why doesn't it recognize that file type???)

It gvies me the error code 0xC946001C. I did a research on that code in Google and did not find anything.

Please help me out and tell me what to do as I really want to be able to read those .M2TS files and convert them so I can use them properly in WMM.

Thanks
www.papajohn.org
Top 25 Poster
Forum Moderator

Posted: 20 Jan 2011 07:21 PM
You're using a Vista system and I'm using Windows 7, which could be why we get different results.

I installed the Sony PMB software that came with my camcorder.... it might have installed another codec. I don't know. And I don't know what codecs WLMM is using. If you didn't install software that came with your camcorder, do it and see if it makes a difference.

WLMM can do conversions but if it doesn't then you're into having to use a conversion utility. Now that I no longer endorse Xilisoft I don't have another suggestion.... I'm trying others but don't have a recommendation yet... and as WLMM works for me, it's not one of my priorities. Someone else might help.

Posted: 20 Jan 2011 08:36 PM
Yeah, I had all the Sony PMB software installed so I'm also guessing it might be because I'm using Vista instead of Windows 7.

Does anyone out there know of a good software video converter which can succesfully convert HD H.264/MPEG-4 AVC VIDEO (1920x1080) to a WMV file so that I could then use it in my WMM under Vista?

Thank you all for your help and suggestions.

Posted: 24 Jan 2011 09:54 AM
OK, I've had the chance to try out 7 different video converters over the weekend, to convert H.264 to WMV (1080p). Here's my report on these:

1. Xilisoft: really crappy conversion, not good at all (contacted the company and they plan on possibly implementing a better version in the future but have no idea when);

2. OJOSoft: not too bad but did lose some quality in the conversion;

3. ImToo: same ax Xilisoft (see above #1);

4. AVS: not too bad but did lose a little bit of quality in the conversion;

5. AiseeSoft: really crappy conversion as the colors all seemed stretched out or blended;

6. Freemake: same ax Xilisoft (see above #1);

7. PavTube: not too bad but did lose a little bit of quality in the conversion.

Out of the 7 converters, I would say PavTube was probably the best but I still don't like the fact that I do lose some quality during the conversion. If someone knows of a video converter which does NOT lose any quality in doing this type of conversion, I would really appreciate it to know which one.

Finally, I decided to contact Sony (my camera) to tell them about my problem and ask them if there was a video converter they could recommend me to use to convert their camera's files. They said they "understand that you want to convert the video files recorded in the Camcorder." They provided me a link with with the information to convert the video files recorded in the Camcorder to WMV format using their own software which came with the video camera Picture Motion Browser (PMB) Software. the link is http://support.d-imaging.sony.co.jp/www/disoft/int/pmb/feature/edit/wmv_convert.html . They also stated that "Sony does not recommend nor endorse any third party Software.".

When I went to the link, I replied back saying to them that I had seen this but that when trying to convert th files wo WMV, the best format to convert to was VGA (640x480:, yes, VGA, can you believe this? I asked them why their software is not more up-to-date to accept the 1080p like the camera produces? Their replay was "sorry to inform you that the Picture Motion Browser Software offers a video resolution for WMV files up to 640x480. Also, the video quality will decrease if you convert the video to any other format or compress it."

So I then asked them what solutions do they offer for people who need to convert their H.264 files (from their Sony cameras) to 1080p resolution so that they can use them in video editors (basically, what do I do here as I cannot edit my camera's files on my PC)? Their reply was "sorry for the difficulties you're experiencing in converting the videos".

Can you believe this, coming from a company like Sony, who sell you these great Full HD video cameras but only give you a software to convert them into VGA and then they do not recommend using any 3rd party software to convert the videos?

Needless to say, I am very disappointed in Sony with this issue...

www.papajohn.org
Top 25 Poster
Forum Moderator

Posted: 24 Jan 2011 01:41 PM
great info snoopydoo.... yes, today's camcorders are made for users who want to shoot and view, not edit.

There's always a quality loss when doing a file conversion. I wonder what you would think of the wmv files made by WLMM.... if you email a test file (under 10 megs) from the camcorder I can do a conversion with WLMM in Windows 7 and email the wmv file back. Then you can tell us where it stands against the other conversion utilities.

My email address is on the first page of my website at www.papajohn.org

neophyte is not online. Last active: 8/18/2017 1:15:11 PM neophyte
neos-world.is-great.org
Top 25 Poster
Forum Moderator
Total Posts: 20170

Posted: 24 Jan 2011 09:53 PM
snoopydoo - were you able to use the same conversion settings in each of the converters when you ran the comparison? The reason I ask is that most of the converters I've seen are simply GUI's for ffmpeg or MEncoder and, other than differences in how they apply your settings, the results are usually comparable given use of the same settings and same conversion engine.

I hear and I forget. I see and I remember. I do and I understand. -- Confucius

Posted: 10 Feb 2011 09:32 AM
I've tried to convert them using Vegas Movie Studio HD as this software can read the files in and I saved them back as WMV. I have not yet copied them to a DVD to see the quality of the final version but I noticed that while other conversion programs created a file of less than 50 MEGS for a 32 second clip, the Vegas output created a file of about 4.5 GIGS, which is humongous compared to the others, in 1920x1080.

My question is: is there a way in Vegas to set it up to still produce a 1920x1080 output WMV file but which would be way smaller than 4.5 GIGS?

Another question I have is regarding Rehan's BlusScreen/GreenScreen effect: when applying this to a clip, does it somehow reduce the quality of the resulting clip? Reason I ask is that if I look at a clip with the green screen behind, everything looks great as far as quality is concerned. However, as soon as I put in a picture/clip in the background, then the foreground clip seems to really lose lots of quality and you can then see pixelating like around the arms, which you didn't see when only having the green screen in behind. So, I was wondering if somehow, when applying the blue screen in Windows Movie maker, if it somehow reduced the final quality to less than 1280x720, etc.? And, is there a way to do some BlueScreen/GreenScreen in Vegas software and if so, how?

Thanks to all!
neos-world.is-great.org
Top 25 Poster
Forum Moderator

Posted: 10 Feb 2011 10:03 PM
snoopydoo - double check the settings you used in Vegas Movie Studio and try converting it again as a 32 second HD wmv file should be much, much less than 4.5 GB.

An internet search should turn up a number of tutorials on how to do bluescreen/greenscreen in Vegas.

The "pixelation" problem you mentioned is not unique to Movie Maker as it's often due to the color variations in those areas. You can try adjusting the similarity parameter in the xml code to see if that helps reduce the problem.

Posted: 11 Feb 2011 07:15 AM
I don't know much about the settings and how they all work or could affect this. Do you know which setting in there I would need to change?
neos-world.is-great.org
Top 25 Poster
Forum Moderator

Posted: 11 Feb 2011 09:26 PM
Unfortunately I don't, as I don't have a recent version of Vegas Movie Studio.

zmcmay is not online. Last active: 9/10/2012 3:09:01 AM zmcmay
Total Posts: 3

Posted: 10 Sep 2012 03:08 AM
I often download videos to play on my portable players like ipad, psp etc by using this video converter: http://www.kvisoft.com/video-converter/
holuu is not online. Last active: 7/3/2015 3:26:55 AM holuu
Total Posts: 2

Posted: 03 Jul 2015 03:26 AM
Share you another tool to download videos : http://www.videoconverterfactory.com/hd-video-converter/
monica6688 is not online. Last active: 7/27/2017 9:08:52 PM monica6688
Total Posts: 35

Posted: 13 Oct 2015 09:25 PM
I used Brorsoft Video Converter for several years. It perfectly supports MTS, MOV, MKV, MXF, AVI .etc videos. You can have a try. Good luck!
chris198810 is not online. Last active: 6/12/2017 11:31:43 PM chris198810
Total Posts: 50

Posted: 26 May 2017 02:41 AM
Here is a list of top 5 video converter for Windows. Pick a proper to get your job done.
Previous Thread :: Next Thread 
Page 1 of 1

Movie Maker Forums  > Other Software  > Other Digital Media Software  > Problem converting using Xilisoft Video Converter