[Lights, Camera, Action]

Home    Forums    Tutorials    Search    Books    Links 

Windows Movie Maker tips, tutorials, forums and more...

Windows Movie Maker Home   Search   Login   Register   Member List  
Hardware, Cameras, Audio and more..  > Hardware Troubleshooting and Support  > Windows Movie Maker cannot save the movie to the specified location?    
Previous Thread :: Next Thread 
 Author Thread: Windows Movie Maker cannot save the movie to the specified location?
TheZenith is not online. Last active: 4/15/2012 9:22:26 PM TheZenith
Total Posts: 17

Windows Movie Maker cannot save the movie to the specified location?
Posted: 31 Dec 2010 05:56 PM
Okay, all my source files are correct none of them are corrupt. All of them are wmv files and one mp3 file and it still won't let me save the movie file please help.
neophyte is not online. Last active: 5/1/2012 9:53:46 PM neophyte
neos-world.is-great.org
Top 25 Poster
Forum Moderator
Total Posts: 19914

Re: Windows Movie Maker cannot save the movie to the specified location?
Posted: 31 Dec 2010 10:21 PM
Welcome to the forums.

Try going to "Tools > Options > Compatibility" in Movie Maker and unchecking all the filters ending in .ax and see what happens (try saving your movie as both a wmv and DV-AVI file, if you get an error with the first one you try). If that doesn't help and you have a large number of items in your project, try breaking your project up into smaller pieces and see if you can save a movie in each of the pieces.

I hear and I forget. I see and I remember. I do and I understand. -- Confucius
Bexamondo is not online. Last active: 8/4/2011 4:21:29 AM Bexamondo
Total Posts: 12

Posted: 28 Jul 2011 02:19 PM
Hi,
I'm new at this... sort of... maybe... I'm stuck!! I did everything you said and well - let me explain!!

The 'Windows Movie Maker cannot save the movie to the specified location' message appears and I click finish. I CAN play it in Windows Media Player but I need to get it into a PowerPoint; so I went into Tools > Options > Compatibility and there was only one option and that one option ended in ax so I unticked it, applied changes and tried again... IT DIDN'T WORK!!!! This is really important and I need to do it within the next 2-3 weeks!!!

Please help me!! It's like course work for a big qualification!!

From,
MEH!!!
splante is not online. Last active: 12/9/2014 9:21:13 AM splante
Top 50 Poster
Total Posts: 809

Posted: 28 Jul 2011 02:31 PM
Remove the MP3 and see if you can save the movie. If so, convert the MP3 to WMA and use that in the movie.
splante is not online. Last active: 12/9/2014 9:21:13 AM splante
Top 50 Poster
Total Posts: 809

Posted: 28 Jul 2011 02:33 PM
Opps, I just realized you hijacked another thread. What file formats are you using? WMV files work best for video and WMA or WAV work best for audio.

Posted: 30 Jul 2011 08:49 AM
The files that I have imported to Windows Movie Maker are WMV files.
neos-world.is-great.org
Top 25 Poster
Forum Moderator

Posted: 30 Jul 2011 10:43 PM
Bexamondo - try the following test. Download this countdown loop, import it into a new Movie Maker project, add it to the timeline/storyboard and see if you can save this as a movie. If you can, try breaking your original project up into smaller pieces and see if you can save a movie in each of the pieces.

Posted: 31 Jul 2011 05:54 AM
I can't really save them as different parts because it has to be one 10min long movie - which it is! This has to be the case because I have to import it into PowerPoint, and when I start a movie it stutters before it starts playing. So, that's my dilemma! I need to do about 13 different movies - all 10min long - and import it into PowerPoint!!

P.S. I'm SO confused!! Help?
neos-world.is-great.org
Top 25 Poster
Forum Moderator

Posted: 31 Jul 2011 09:41 PM
Bexamondo - if you can save a movie in each of the pieces, you could then import those movies into a new Movie Maker project, add them to the timeline/storyboard in the correct order, perform any final edoting and then save this out as your final movie.

If you can't save a movie in the pieces and you haven't done the test with the countdown loop, then run that test and post back with the results, as that will help in determining whether the problem is specific to your project or is a more general issue with Movie Maker.

Posted: 01 Aug 2011 03:50 PM
I downloaded it - saved it to my computer and it did it successfully!! WOW!! But, when I tried to save rach individual part of the movie 'I MADE' only the first 3 parts saved successfully - they were 7 seconds, 2 seconds and 30 seconds; the one that wouldn't save was 4 minutes and 37.36 seconds! I tried shotening it and that made no difference what-so-ever!! I'm sooooooooooooo stuck - It's annoying!!

P.S. I still need to have it as one long video at the end - otherwise it defises my objective!!

Thanks for ALL your help - I just wish it would sort itself out before my BIG TEST!!
considerate_guy is not online. Last active: 12/20/2014 12:50:55 PM considerate_guy
movies.blainesville.com
Top 25 Poster
Forum Moderator
Total Posts: 24161

Posted: 01 Aug 2011 04:08 PM
What was the original format of each of your source files? And what did you use to convert them. Not every program will convert files into compatible .wmv. Try Freemake Video Converter if you aren't using that.

Blaine
Movie Maker (Custom Titles, Effects. etc.)Cool
WMM 6.0 on Windows 7 or 8
YouTube videos

Posted: 02 Aug 2011 05:47 AM
The original files were MP4 but then I converted them (correctly and successfully) into WMV format!! It all wrked out but it won't convert it!! I tried to save it on a different computer - the same way - but it didn't work either!!

I'm stuck and I'm running out of time - please help!!

I have 13 more to do after this one!!

Thanks everyone, I really appriciate your dedication!!
considerate_guy is not online. Last active: 12/20/2014 12:50:55 PM considerate_guy
movies.blainesville.com
Top 25 Poster
Forum Moderator

Posted: 02 Aug 2011 09:52 AM
Which program did you use? I would recommend Freemake if you were using something else.

Blaine
YouTube videos

Posted: 02 Aug 2011 01:00 PM
I used that programme but it still doesn't help with my problem of not being able to save my movie on moviemaker! I also tried a converter on www.mediaconverter.org - or something like that! I still can't save my movie and I'm running out of time to get my evalutation on the work!! Please - I'm desperate!! I need help, I've got too many to do to just be sitting around waiting for an informational post - Although, I do still appreciate all of your hard work, time and relentless dedication!!

Thanks so much for taking the time to answer, but my problem still hasn't been solved!! Please, I need your help!!
movies.blainesville.com
Top 25 Poster
Forum Moderator

Posted: 02 Aug 2011 02:32 PM
If you've now got all your files in the project so they are only .wmv for video and only .wma for audio, then I would expect it to save. Double-check the properties on each of your clips in the project to make sure they are the converted file, not the original .mp4 or .mp3.

Another common cause is too many photos (>100), but I don't think that is your situation.

Finally, if you have this problem still, the best plan is to break your project into smaller parts. Save a few extra copies of your .mswmm file. In one of the copies, delete from the end of the project until you can save that portion as a movie. Then in the next copy, delete what you have already saved and delete from the end until that portion will save. Repeat as necessary.

In the end you'll have several movies which you can add to a new project to make your final movie.

Blaine
YouTube videos

Posted: 02 Aug 2011 04:43 PM
So, I clicked the video that wouldn't save and it didn't say it was an MP4, MP3, WMA, or WMV; it actually said the file type was in fact 'Video with Audio'! I don't know if this significant or what, but I thought I might just tell you anyway - to see if you could identify the problem.

On a different note, I already tried doing what you had suggested - saving the video in smaller parts; it didn't work and I had tried it with all of the videos and if you look back at one of my earlier posts I mention being able to save the first 3/4 smaller sections but it does not allow me to save the large part. Also, saving it in smaller parts is defying the point of makingthe video in the first place - my criteria states that the video has to be at least 7 minutes long and all intact as one movie!

Just to sum up my task:
There are 5 parts to the video I'm editing; I need to save it as one long movie. It comes in MP4 format originally; so I had to convert it into WMV. I imported the videos and placed them in their correct order. I then had to trim 1-2 minutes of video off the beginning, and 4-6 minutes off the ending. Then I had to save to my computer.

Just tot sum up my problem:
I then selected the 'Save to my Computer' option and saved it to my files; it started saving, but after 13 minutes it said 'Windows Movie Maker cannot find specified location.........' I had the exact same problem with the other 13 videos I had to edit. I have been trying everything - to no provale!

Please help and don't give up on me just yet!

neos-world.is-great.org
Top 25 Poster
Forum Moderator

Posted: 02 Aug 2011 09:46 PM
The video that didn't save doesn't appear to be a wmv file as it would say something like "Windows Media Audio/Video file (.wmv)". Try converting that file to wmv format using Freemake.

FYI, saving your movie in pieces initially doesn't defy the point of creating a single movie as you can import those pieces into a new project and save that as a single movie. While, it involves additional saves, it does allow you to create the single movie you need.

Posted: 03 Aug 2011 04:43 AM
Hello again (sorry about all the trouble I'm causing you),
I am on a laptop that I am being loaned to complete this project; therefore, I do not have access to applications - I am not an administrator and cannnot download certain things! But I have got access to a free online video converter; would that work the same way?

Anyway, I tried looking at the video in my documents, and when I clicked on properties it said the file type was infact 'Windows Media Audio/Video File'. But then when I look at it in Windows Movie Maker it says it is just a 'Video with Audio' file. I don't understand that so I checked it again and it still said that it was 'Video with Audio' once I had imported it. Does that mean that it is still just a WMV file or what?

The problem still stands that I can't successfully save the project to my computer, and I'm getting a bit low on time!

P.S. I know that I'm being a pain in the butt, but please don't giveup on me - I desperatly need your help.

Thanks for your hard work and dedication, I really appreciate it.

Posted: 03 Aug 2011 10:37 AM
My moviehas got to be 5 minutes 20 seconds long - which it is! When I try to save them individually the first 4 sections save successfully, but the 5th doesn't - it is 2 minutes longer than the rest of the sections.

I tried shortening it as well but that didn't help!

I tryed that loop thing and it saved successfully.

The files that I import are WMV, but after I import them it says the file type is 'Video with Audio'.

There are no slide transitions, special effects, or picture - it is just the video.

The reason why it is actually in WMM is because I've taken about 1 minute of the beginning of the video and 3 minutes off the end - just thought I'd tell you.

The sizes of the sections are as listed: 30.23 seconds (saved), 7.50 seconds (saved), 2.93 seconds (saved), 2.60 seconds (saved), 4 minutes 37.25 seconds (not saved successfully)!

I can play the unfinished video in Windows Media Player.

While trying to solve the problem I have tryed:
Going into 'Tool > Options > Compatability' and uncheck all the options ending in .ax - there was only one option and it ended in .ax, so I unchecked it.
Shortening the videos and saving them, but the initial problem still stands while doing that.
Saving to a different location.
Using a different computer.
Saving it while I'm not connected to the internet.

None of the above worked in the slightest. I have ran out of ideas and I thought that some dedacated people on here might be able to help. I need to fix this problem within the next week of so - it is for an exam type thing, and I have about 13 more videos that have the same problem.

Thanks for listening, I admire your dedication to the forums!

neos-world.is-great.org
Top 25 Poster
Forum Moderator

Posted: 03 Aug 2011 09:29 PM
An online file conversion service would work as long as it allows you to convert the file to a Movie Maker friendly format like wmv. Media Converter is one you could try.

Another option, if you wouldn't mind sharing the file with me, is to upload the file to MediaFire and I'll download it and try converting it for you. If you decide to do that, post the download link for the file back here or use the "Contact Me" page on my website to send me the link.

Posted: 04 Aug 2011 04:21 AM
I have already converted it to WMV using Media Converter! But it still doesn't solve my problem 'cos the message 'WMM cannot save movie tospecified location' is still appearing! I don't know what else to do - I have tried re-converting it, but it didn't make any difference! I check that it was a WMV. file! I have done everything that I could think of (as well as all of that stuff you told me to try)!

Please help, do you have any idea what might be causing this error or not allowing me to save it!

I need help!! Thank you!
neos-world.is-great.org
Top 25 Poster
Forum Moderator

Posted: 04 Aug 2011 08:41 PM
Here's some other things you could try:

1. Free up as much space as you can on your hard drive (make sure you empty the Recycle Bin) and then make sure any audio files you're using in your project are wma or wav files.

2. If that doesn't help, go to "Tools > Options > Compatibility" in Movie Maker and click on "Restore All Defaults" and see what happens (try saving your movie as both a wmv and DV-AVI file, if you get the same error with the first one you try).

3. If that doesn't help, navigate to the folder used for temporary storage by Movie Maker (go to "Tools > Options > General" to find the path for that folder) and then right click on that folder and then click on "Properties" on the pop-up menu. Next, go to the "General" tab on the window that opens, uncheck the box labelled "Read-only" under "Attributes", click on "Apply" and then see what happens.

4. If that doesn't help, try importing the wmv file that seems to be causing the problem into a new Movie Maker project and see if you can save that file as a movie. If you can, try using that file in your original project.

djboyer is not online. Last active: 3/30/2012 3:43:33 PM djboyer
Total Posts: 2

Posted: 30 Mar 2012 03:41 PM
I solved this the way I solve my WindowsMedia file errors. I don't think it likes the .wmv flavor you're giving it. Whatever utitility you're using, save it into an .avi format. Then use Windows Media Encoder (free, online) from Microsoft, to convert back to .wmv. It fixed this problem for me.
andlorr is not online. Last active: 4/6/2012 6:12:07 PM andlorr
Total Posts: 2

Posted: 05 Apr 2012 10:09 AM
I'm having problems too! I converted my clips from .mp4 to .wmv using convertfiles.com (I'm at work and can't download a utility unless it's from an official windows source). It gets partway through, then I get the error message. I've tried saving it to my computer, saving it to email, saving it for the web, etc. Nothing works. I also tried unchecking the .ax filter in Tools- Options- Compatibility. Nope.

I edited my clip by splitting it in places, dragging the split clips to the audio bar, and replacing them in the video bar with .pngs. I'm demonstrating how to use a manual, so I need the audio and the visual of the book. Might the .pngs be the problem? Should I save them to a different format? Is the problem that I dragged the .wmv file to the audio track? I've done that before without a problem, but who knows.

Thanks for any help you can give!

movies.blainesville.com
Top 25 Poster
Forum Moderator

Posted: 05 Apr 2012 11:41 AM
I still think it is the format of your files. I can't vouch for the convertfiles.com site and whether it truly creates compatible .wmv files.

What you might try is to put one of your .mp4 files onto the timeline in a new project. Make no edits, and just save it out as a movie. That will definitely create a compatible .wmv file. Repeat that with other .mp4 clips you have. Put the .wmv files in place of the previously converted .wmv clips and then open the original project. See if it will save then.

Blaine
YouTube videos
Previous Thread :: Next Thread 
Page 1 of 2Goto to page: [1], 2 Next

Movie Maker Forums  > Hardware, Cameras, Audio and more..  > Hardware Troubleshooting and Support  > Windows Movie Maker cannot save the movie to the specified location?