[Lights, Camera, Action]

Home    Forums    Tutorials    Search    Books    Links 

Windows Movie Maker tips, tutorials, forums and more...

Windows Movie Maker Home   Search   Login   Register   Member List  
Windows Movie Maker  > Music, Narration, and Sound  > Extracting audio from video in LIVE Movie Maker    
Previous Thread :: Next Thread 
 Author Thread: Extracting audio from video in LIVE Movie Maker
poeticbeauty is not online. Last active: 2/13/2011 4:55:53 PM poeticbeauty
Total Posts: 4

Extracting audio from video in LIVE Movie Maker
Posted: 12 Dec 2010 05:16 AM
I have just started using Windows Live Movie Maker. I wish to extract the audio from some video footage and then keep the audio whilst replacing some of the video. From reading the comments, the original Movie Maker seemed to have separate video and audio tracks. Live doesn't. One can import audio files but I want to use the audio from my video footage.
Can anyone help?
Many thanks,
Christina
PapaJohn is not online. Last active: 8/12/2014 6:55:13 PM PapaJohn
www.papajohn.org
Top 25 Poster
Forum Moderator
Total Posts: 13292

Re: Extracting audio from video in LIVE Movie Maker
Posted: 12 Dec 2010 09:26 PM
welcome to the forum....

the new Windows Live Movie Maker has the same separate video and audio tracks as the earlier versions. What's changed is that in earlier versions you could drag a 2nd copy of the video clip down to the audio/music track and Movie Maker would handle it as an audio file. With the new version you need a source file that has a file extension indicating it's an audio file.

What I do is rename the video file to videofile.wmv.wma and it'll go into a WLMM project fine as an audio file. Another copy of the same file namee videofile.wmv will go the video track.

... my website isn't here... it's at www.papajohn.org

Posted: 13 Dec 2010 04:38 PM
That's very kind of you - thank you. I'll try it.

Posted: 13 Dec 2010 04:46 PM
No luck, I'm afraid. I re-save it then click 'Add music' and go to the file in which it is saved, but it doesn't show. Thank you for your help anyway.
www.papajohn.org
Top 25 Poster
Forum Moderator

Posted: 13 Dec 2010 05:18 PM
You won't be able to effectively rename the extension if your system is still set to the default of not letting you see such a file extension.

Posted: 14 Dec 2010 02:38 PM
Thank you for the advice. Got it sorted now by downloading additional software to convert files.
www.papajohn.org
Top 25 Poster
Forum Moderator

Posted: 14 Dec 2010 06:38 PM
good going and thanks for the feedback!!! there's aways many ways to make something work...

parrotgirl is not online. Last active: 12/21/2010 1:36:14 AM parrotgirl
Total Posts: 1

Posted: 21 Dec 2010 01:35 AM
I'm having the same trouble - can you tell me what software you got to be able to convert the files?
Thanks!
BigPolishJimmy is not online. Last active: 11/7/2012 4:39:02 PM BigPolishJimmy

Posted: 07 Nov 2012 04:13 PM
I know I'm digging this up from the dead, but I needed to thank PapaJohn for putting me on the path to making Movie Maker fun and useful again.

No special software is needed to do this:

The key to the trick in short is to change the file extension of a duplicate file from .wmv to .wma . To do so, select the clip that you'd like to use the audio from, and save it in it's very own project. Then save the movie, or in other words, finish that one clip as it's own finished movie. Be sure to give it a descriptive file name like "Burt_yelling_audio" , something to differentiate it from your other video clips so that it doesn't get mixed up. You're going to be changing file extensions, so you don't want to change the wrong file. Save the finished movie to a folder on your desktop, or somewhere that you can find it.

If you are like me, your default system settings don't let you mess with file extensions. Windows has attempted to idiot-proof their files. That's not a bad thing for the most part, but we're not the kind of simple idiots that are stopped by such elementary shenanigans. Nope, we're idiots with just enough knowledge to really mess stuff up, so let's go for it. Next, you will need to open up your Windows "Control Panel". In Control Panel open up "Folder Options". You may have to change the way that Control Panel lists it's options to see everything. In Folder Options, click on the "view" tab and look for a checkbox in the Advanced settings that says: "Hide extensions for known file types" . Uncheck this box and close your control panel. We are now able to change file types, so go to the folder where you saved your file and right-click the file and 'rename' it. You can give it a new name, or simply change the ".wmv" at the end to ".wma". Close the folder and go back to Movie Maker. Now you can import the newly-renamed .wma file as an audio clip.

Thanks again to PapaJohn. Two years later and your advice is still helping folks.
considerate_guy is not online. Last active: 8/31/2014 2:33:46 PM considerate_guy
movies.blainesville.com
Top 25 Poster
Forum Moderator
Total Posts: 23985

Posted: 07 Nov 2012 05:25 PM
Actually, the newest version (Movie Maker 2012) now has the ability to use a video file as the "narration" track. There is no longer a need to do these extra steps.

Assuming you have installed Movie Maker 2012 (download.live.com), go to the Home tab and click on Narration. Now when it comes to selecting the file you want to add, instead of choosing an audio file, you can also choose a movie file (e.g. .wmv) and it will use the audio from that file.

Thanks for bringing this back up because I don't think everyone is aware that this feature was added to Movie Maker 2012.

Blaine
Movie Maker (Custom Titles, Effects. etc.)Cool
WMM 6.0 on Windows 7 or 8
YouTube videos
wasteomana is not online. Last active: 12/20/2012 2:51:45 AM wasteomana

Posted: 16 Dec 2012 10:32 PM
I was trying to take the audio off of a video file I'm working on that is .mod. It doesn't seem to recognize those files as being any kind of media at all. When I put it in the movie maker the video works, the audio shows that there is audio there, but it doesn't play or work.
considerate_guy is not online. Last active: 8/31/2014 2:33:46 PM considerate_guy
movies.blainesville.com
Top 25 Poster
Forum Moderator

Posted: 16 Dec 2012 10:57 PM
Try using Freemake Video Converter to turn that file into a compatible file type like .wmv. In fact, if you just want to strip the audio, then convert it to an .mp3

Blaine
YouTube videos
hbglmh is not online. Last active: 4/3/2013 12:08:42 AM hbglmh
www.as7.org

Posted: 03 Apr 2013 12:07 AM
Thank you for your help anyway.
AvaDoll is not online. Last active: 4/9/2013 6:40:44 PM AvaDoll

Posted: 09 Apr 2013 06:40 PM
Just had to chime in that I was doing research for purchasing a whole new video editing software package because I couldn't figure out how to manipulate the audio on a video that's audio and video had become unsynched on the original file (an fvl file saved from a streaming webcam). I knew how to extract and move audio in iMovie in my old mac so I was extra frustrated I couldn't manually sync up the audio, UNTIL I READ THIS POST!! I was able to unlock my folder settings so I could save a duplicate movie file as an audio file, import it as a music file and then move it all into position!! THANK YOU SO MUCH!!
movies.blainesville.com
Top 25 Poster
Forum Moderator

Posted: 09 Apr 2013 08:47 PM
I love to hear when someone finds a useful answer in another post. Happy Movie Making, AvaDoll.

Blaine
YouTube videos
Previous Thread :: Next Thread 
Page 1 of 1

Movie Maker Forums  > Windows Movie Maker  > Music, Narration, and Sound  > Extracting audio from video in LIVE Movie Maker