[Lights, Camera, Action]

Home    Forums    Tutorials    Search    Books    Links 

Windows Movie Maker tips, tutorials, forums and more...

Windows Movie Maker Home   Search   Login   Register   Member List  
Windows Movie Maker  > Music, Narration, and Sound  > Re: Audio volume normalized; how to?    
Previous Thread :: Next Thread 
 Author Thread: Audio volume normalized; how to?
dbricker is not online. Last active: 4/1/2005 9:13:26 AM dbricker
Top 100 Poster
Total Posts: 21

Audio volume normalized; how to?
Posted: 16 Jan 2004 04:37 PM
Hi,

I have a question regarding the normalization of the sound track (s) for the clip or a set of the clips on the Visual disk or DVD.

As a matter of fact the audio volume differs all along the clip or/and sometimes very different among different clips put on the same disk/DVD.

I wonder if someone can advice me how can I “normalize” i.e. bring to approximately same audio volume?

Thank you in advance
Daniel
PapaJohn is not online. Last active: 2/23/2015 2:43:58 PM PapaJohn
www.papajohn.org
Top 25 Poster
Forum Moderator
Total Posts: 13291

Re: Audio volume normalized; how to?
Posted: 16 Jan 2004 05:30 PM
use the graphical display on the audio sound tracks to see how each clip compares to the others. See the Editing > Audio > Intro page of my website... I have a picture of the two audio sound tracks. They show an appropriate level of sound for each.

... my website isn't here... it's at www.papajohn.org
dbricker is not online. Last active: 4/1/2005 9:13:26 AM dbricker
Top 100 Poster
Total Posts: 21

Posted: 17 Jan 2004 08:17 AM
Hi PapaJohn,

Thank you for your answer. I'm afraid the "visual comparing" is rather timeconsuming, not precise and in some cases impossible technique.

Consider a long clips, how can you see 2 remote parts of audio in MM2 in one screen?

Another scenario is several clips to be authored on one video disk/DVD. How can you compare them all in MM2???

Even if one can, the normalizing will mean rewrite most of them again on the disk.

I wonder if exist some tools that make it automatically: analysis and fixing the problem.

Thank you
Daniel
PapaJohn is not online. Last active: 2/23/2015 2:43:58 PM PapaJohn
www.papajohn.org
Top 25 Poster
Forum Moderator
Total Posts: 13291

Posted: 17 Jan 2004 01:33 PM
By zooming in and out of the timeline, you can see anything from a frame to the full project, and I find visually scanning the audio patterns pretty easy.

MM2 has done a very good job of setting the clips to appropriate levels automatically. Only when I want to raise or lower a particular clip's relative volume do I need to make any changes.

I'm not aware of any tools that will work with MM2. Maybe, for your needs, you should use higher-end video editing software. MM2 is meant for entry-level use.

... my website isn't here... it's at www.papajohn.org
Jakeludington is not online. Last active: 3/14/2007 6:15:14 PM Jakeludington
www.jakeludington.com
Top 100 Poster
Total Posts: 5

Posted: 01 Mar 2004 10:35 PM
The "easiest" way to accomplish this is to save only the audio from the video track, then open it in an external editing application.

Cakewalk Pyro (http://www.cakewalk.com) works great for a moderately priced commercial app. There's also Audacity (http://audacity.sourceforge.com), which is a very powerful freeware solution.

Once you normalize the audio in the external app, import it to the movie as the secondary Audio/Music track. Mute the video audio track, so the audio/music track is the only audible sound track.

Jake Ludington

http://www.jakeludington.com
Previous Thread :: Next Thread 
Goto to page:  Prev Next

Movie Maker Forums  > Windows Movie Maker  > Music, Narration, and Sound  > Re: Audio volume normalized; how to?