[Lights, Camera, Action]

Home    Forums    Tutorials    Search    Books    Links 

Windows Movie Maker tips, tutorials, forums and more...

Windows Movie Maker Home   Search   Login   Register   Member List  
Windows Movie Maker  > Feature Suggestions  > Overlay    
Previous Thread :: Next Thread 
 Author Thread: Overlay
rictous is not online. Last active: 10/13/2010 5:08:33 PM rictous
Total Posts: 2

Overlay
Posted: 13 Oct 2010 04:45 PM
Make it so you can Add a picture/video on top of the current video/picture clip.
Make it so you can resize it and place it on w/e part of the screen.
Ive been looking for an editer that can do this for months and i found AVS video editer but it has a big watermark.
Also text were u can choose were it is on the screen is nice
(similar to AVS Video Editer)
grapemanca is not online. Last active: 7/25/2015 3:21:34 AM grapemanca
Total Posts: 62

Re: Overlay
Posted: 13 Oct 2010 08:30 PM
A lot of MM enthusiasts have wanted an overlay (and PIP) option for years, but MSFT doesn't care to listen to us anymore, so I don't see it happening. The only people they are targetting are those who can barely move a mouse! ;-)

In any case, it probably requires a proper timeline (with a second video track), but MSFT stubbornly refuses to reintroduce that critical feature.

I like the overlay and 9 cell PIP options in PowerDirector [which does a Brady Bunch effect], but that costs a few bucks.

Don't bend! Put WMM6 on Windows 7:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=15TMjpM8QCc
LyinKing is not online. Last active: 8/8/2011 3:55:59 AM LyinKing
Total Posts: 4

Posted: 06 Aug 2011 06:32 PM
I wonder if it is possible to edit the "newspaper" effect and have a video play in the open area of that effect and the rest of the effect be the first video?

it's just a thought, i'm still learning about editing / creating DLL's/ programming in general.
it would make an excellent addon until they do finally give us the real thing.
splante is not online. Last active: 12/24/2015 5:59:53 AM splante
Top 50 Poster
Total Posts: 809

Posted: 06 Aug 2011 11:37 PM
You can't edit the title to do what you want. However, you might be able to do what you want with some work. If you could write a custom title using the newspaper that would give you a blue background, you could do a bluescreen effect. Otherwise, you could try editing the news.png file in the Movie Maker/Shared directory (make a backup copy first) to change the color of the text enough to do chroma keying on black to have a video playing in the background. I'm afraid that otherwise your video would also show through the text.

To do this, you would first have to save a movie file with the custom newspaper title added over the second movie (the one in the newspaper). Then import that movie into a new project. Put the video you want as background on the timeline first and then add the newspaper clip. Then use a chroma key transition to put the newspaper over the video.
LyinKing is not online. Last active: 8/8/2011 3:55:59 AM LyinKing
Total Posts: 4

Posted: 08 Aug 2011 03:55 AM
Makes since, I'll give it a shot when i get the time. I was thinking along the same lines, but maybe find a way to import a "null" video (video of a blue screen) in place of the Newspaper PNG. I'm sure i would have to edit some files to do this, basically, take the files MM has and use them as a building block for a whole new mod.
considerate_guy is not online. Last active: 8/7/2015 5:49:08 PM considerate_guy
movies.blainesville.com
Top 25 Poster
Forum Moderator
Total Posts: 24219

Posted: 15 Aug 2011 01:27 PM
A custom title can only use an additional image, not video so I don't know how far you'll get with that. If you want two video streams simultaneously, the only option is to use a transition. There are custom PIP transitions already created that can show a second video on top of the first.

Blaine
Movie Maker (Custom Titles, Effects. etc.)Cool
WMM 6.0 on Windows 7 or 8
YouTube videos
youthontherock is not online. Last active: 1/30/2013 12:35:15 PM youthontherock
www.youtube.com
Total Posts: 67

Posted: 17 Nov 2011 04:58 PM
Grapemanca,

I like WLMM and WMM Vista because of the user friendly way of operating it. I have been looking to upgrade to something that is easy to use. I find Sony Vegas is to complicated. Is Power Director a user freindly program like WMM?
considerate_guy is not online. Last active: 8/7/2015 5:49:08 PM considerate_guy
movies.blainesville.com
Top 25 Poster
Forum Moderator
Total Posts: 24219

Posted: 02 Dec 2011 05:29 AM
I don't know if you saw this post, but one inexpensive choice is Nero Video 11.
view post 248935

Blaine
Movie Maker (Custom Titles, Effects. etc.)Cool
WMM 6.0 on Windows 7 or 8
YouTube videos
grapemanca is not online. Last active: 7/25/2015 3:21:34 AM grapemanca
Total Posts: 62

Posted: 10 Dec 2011 11:55 AM
Hi Youth!

I've tried a variety of entry level commercial video editing programs, and I find PowerDirector (8) probably the most intuitive program around. It does take some effort (titles are not particularly obvious, for example) but the program will do anything I ask. The PIP feature is great, as are the slideshow templates.

On the other hand, there are still some features in WMM6 that I miss. For example, I really like the ability to drag video and audio clips onto each other to create simple but precise cross fades. If Microsoft had just added a second video track to WMM6, another audio track, better codec support (or a built in converter) and better templates, then Movie Maker would have been the perfect program... unlike the slideshow turd called Windows Live Movie Maker. Or is it Windows Live Workaround Maker?

Cheers!

grapemanca

http://members.shaw.ca/wmm6/wmm6.html

Don't bend! Put WMM6 on Windows 7:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=15TMjpM8QCc
Previous Thread :: Next Thread 
Page 1 of 1

Movie Maker Forums  > Windows Movie Maker  > Feature Suggestions  > Overlay