[Lights, Camera, Action]

Home    Forums    Tutorials    Search    Books    Links 

Windows Movie Maker tips, tutorials, forums and more...

Windows Movie Maker Home   Search   Login   Register   Member List  
Windows Movie Maker  > Technical Support  > Exporting whole collections to another computer    
Previous Thread :: Next Thread 
 Author Thread: Exporting whole collections to another computer
bosstone75 is not online. Last active: 3/25/2010 9:15:36 PM bosstone75
Total Posts: 6

Exporting whole collections to another computer
Posted: 23 Mar 2010 08:51 PM
Hello there!

I have a problem. None of my home computers have a firewire impurt. So I have no way of plugging in my Panasonic PV-GS31 into my home computers to import the videos into Movie Maker (or at least none that I know of).

So, I thought that I would use my work computer (that does have a firewire imput) to export all of the videos to save on a external hard drive so that I could then use the external hard drive connected to my HOME computer to actually work on my videos.

However, it looks like when you import video from a video recorder, it just imports one big file (I thought it broke the files up) and Movie Maker creates thumbnails in the Collections folder that references specific points in time of that one big file.

So when I plug my external DVD into another computer, I lose all of those thumbnails making it quite hard to do my work.

Is there a way to export or somehow transfer the Collections (including the thumbnail references) to another computer?

Is there a better piece of software that would allow this to be easier?

Thanks all!
PapaJohn is not online. Last active: 11/8/2013 1:27:13 PM PapaJohn
www.papajohn.org
Top 25 Poster
Forum Moderator
Total Posts: 13292

Re: Exporting whole collections to another computer
Posted: 23 Mar 2010 09:13 PM
Check my website's Manage Your Files > Collections page.... you should be able to copy the collections database file to another computer and have it work, assuming you are using the same version of Movie Maker on both computers, and the external drive has the same drive letter on each.

... my website isn't here... it's at www.papajohn.org

Posted: 24 Mar 2010 08:49 PM
Wow! Your site is really excellent.

Things were going along well and I thought I had it covered, but it didn't work. Here's the situation...

The computer I am importing my movies to is Windows XP and running MovieMaker 2.1.
The computer I am trying to bring the movies into is Vista running MovieMaker 6.

When I plugged the external drive into the XP computer, it was labeled as F:
When I plugged the external drive into the Vista computer, it was labeled as H:

So I went to the control panel administrator tools on the Vista and changed the label to F:

I brought the drive back to the XP and chose to import the video to F:/HomeMovies. Then I started the import.

When it was done, I dug around to find the database file. It was labeled MEDIATAB1.DAT. I grabbed the file and dropped it onto the external drive.

Then I used your path to find the database file on the Vista computer. It was labeled MEDIATAB0.DAT. Do I drug that file to my desktop and replace it with the MEDIATAB1.DAT file.

Crossed my fingers and opened Movie Maker... NO LUCK!

Closed Movie Maker, changed the name of MEDIATAB1.DAT to MEDIATAB0.DAT.

Crossed my fingers and opened Movie Maker... NO LUCK!

Thank you for your help and I understand if this is where we part ways. But if you have any other ideas you're willing to share, I'd love it.

Thanks
www.papajohn.org
Top 25 Poster
Forum Moderator

Posted: 24 Mar 2010 10:46 PM
A couple comments....

Realigning the MEDIATAB0 or 1.DAT file to align is needed but once you've opened Movie Maker with it being not-aligned, it might not work.... so trying again with the renaming done before the first opening might work.

Vista is much fussier about protected files such as the collection database file... the copying needs to be done such that it includes the needed file permssions. This is true also on Windows 7. If you're copying it with anything other then 'My Computer' as the file manager, try it with that.

Good luck and thanks for the positive comment.

Posted: 24 Mar 2010 11:37 PM
Absolute and complete success!

Turns out, your idea of starting over and relabeling the file BEFORE dropping it into the Movie Maker folder and before opening Movie Maker was the fix.

Huh... who'd a thunk it would be that picky.

Thank you so much!
www.papajohn.org
Top 25 Poster
Forum Moderator

Posted: 25 Mar 2010 03:12 PM
nice going at your end... thanks for the followup post

Previous Thread :: Next Thread 
Page 1 of 1

Movie Maker Forums  > Windows Movie Maker  > Technical Support  > Exporting whole collections to another computer