[Lights, Camera, Action]

Home    Forums    Tutorials    Search    Books    Links 

Windows Movie Maker tips, tutorials, forums and more...

Windows Movie Maker Home   Search   Login   Register   Member List  
Windows Movie Maker  > Publishing and Saving Movies  > Burn a DVD for playback on TV    
Previous Thread :: Next Thread 
 Author Thread: Burn a DVD for playback on TV
Cher is not online. Last active: 12/1/2013 12:10:03 PM Cher
Total Posts: 7

Burn a DVD for playback on TV
Posted: 10 Mar 2010 04:14 PM
Hi Everyone: Have finished my project and have several questions. Am using windows 7 with MM 2.6

1. I have saved my project. Now is it necessary to save it to my computer?

2. Is there a special way to save it to my computer (such as wav file so that I can burn a DVD.

3. Can I not save it to my computer and burn a DVD. With that being said:
a. I see there are 3 different pixel options. I would want the DVD to show on the TV in full size mode. Would I use the bigget pixel option of 1920 x 1080.

Thank you so very, very much for your input and help.
Cher
neophyte is not online. Last active: 5/1/2012 9:53:46 PM neophyte
neos-world.is-great.org
Top 25 Poster
Forum Moderator
Total Posts: 19914

Re: Burn a DVD for playback on TV
Posted: 10 Mar 2010 10:49 PM
Welcome to the forums.

In version 2.6, you need to save your movie (this is in addition to saving your project file) to your computer and then use a third party DVD burning program (most DVD drives come with burning software) to burn a video DVD (not a data DVD). If you'll be burning it to a standard definition DVD, then try saving your movie as a DV-AVI file. FYI, your movie will get converted to a standard DVD format during the burning process.

I hear and I forget. I see and I remember. I do and I understand. -- Confucius

Posted: 11 Mar 2010 09:28 AM
Oh my goodness, why oh why, does everything have to be so hard. I am not happy with 2.6 to begin with as it doesn't have the transitions and effects that 2.1 did and really had no problems in doing any of the "simple" things. But never the less, I am using MM 2.6 live.

I have read, and read, and read. Most posts do not apply to windows7 or to MM live. To begin, what is the best "icon" to choose to save ones movie to a computer?
AND if I then wanted to burn a disc for play back in a DVD player, what "icon" does one use so that it will play a full size screen (i.e. 1080)?

I clicked on Burn a DVD and it won't play on the TV. But it will on the computer. I don't have a choice of DV-AVI files. There is one choice....burn a DVD or save to computer listing different pixel options.

Once again, have a new Dell Studio XPS, Intel i7 core, using windows 7 and MM live. Should not be having this problem.....or should I? LOL

Has anyone had this problem and what is the solution? Thanks oodles and bunches.
Cher
neos-world.is-great.org
Top 25 Poster
Forum Moderator

Posted: 11 Mar 2010 09:16 PM
I'm confused as to which version of Movie Maker you're using, as your first post indicated you were using version 2.6 and your last post indicated you're using Windows Live Movie Maker. Both versions will run on Windows 7 systems.

If you're using Windows Live Movie Maker, clcik on "Burn to DVD". That will save your movie to your computer and, if you have the Premium or Ultimate versions of Windows 7, then open Windows DVD Maker, which is a program that will burn your movie as a video DVD. See this article for more info on how to use Windows DVD Maker.

If you have a version of Windows 7 that doesn't include Windows DVD Maker, then download and use DVD Flick (it's a free download) to burn your movie to a video DVD.

Posted: 11 Mar 2010 09:48 PM
I am sooooo sorry. I have Windows Live MM.
Thank you so much for your response. I am fried reading and trying to do anything I can to 1.) Save the movie and 2.) Make a DVD.

1. I have emptied trash can, temporary files and anything else I can think of. The last time I tried to save the movie (1080) cuz that is what I thought I had to do..I got the error "Sorry, you're movie can't be saved. Find any missing files or remove the unusable items from your project, and then try again."

2. During the making of the movie, I had thoughts of going another direction so did a "Save As" and continued using this one as my final. I have deleted the first file. I am going to reboot and try to save again and see what happens after I deleted and threw away everything. But now, before I do, am I understanding you correctly. There are several icons from which to choose but the "common" ones are HD 1080 or burn a DVD. Am I understanding you to say click on "Burn to DVD" and that will save my movie to the computer as well?

3. I do have win 7, Home Premium Edition but Dell did not install Windows DVD Maker. They put on Roxio CD/DVD Burning.

I do appreciate your help so very much. I wish there was something I could do to repay your kindness. This video is being done for a very special 2 year old boy and his parents.....they really need this for the memories.
Cher
neos-world.is-great.org
Top 25 Poster
Forum Moderator

Posted: 11 Mar 2010 10:00 PM
Thanks for the clarification.

Yes click on "Burn to DVD". That should save a copy of your movie to your computer as a wmv file with a resolution of 720x480 and an aspect ratio of 16:9. If you have Windows DVD Maker on your system (as I wouldn't have thought Dell would have removed it), that should also open Windows DVD Maker. If it doesn't, then try using Roxio to burn that movie to a video DVD.

Posted: 12 Mar 2010 12:09 AM
OMG! Neophyte u have been amazing. KUDOS....
I accepted the default of where MM was going to save the project and waited a bit. At last, a movie! Then burned a disc using Windows Movie Maker I might add, even did a cute little menu with audio...that just set the movie off to a great start.
Oh thank you, thank you. Please sleep well because after nights of messing with this, 2 computers, 4 video softwares, I FINALLY have a movie. It plays on the TV (but doesn't appear to be full screen, but that is OK by me. It's not 720x480. Again, many, many thanks.
Cher
PS...not impressed with Premiere Elements AT ALL. At this point, think MM out does elements. Win Live left out transitions, effects etc that I used before, but sometimes simpler is better and just "dress up" between scenes with a different transition. I love the flip for this...anyway....thanks so much.
neos-world.is-great.org
Top 25 Poster
Forum Moderator

Posted: 12 Mar 2010 08:53 PM
You're welcome; I'm just glad you were able to finally get a DVD that you could use.

What was the make and model of the TV you played the DVD on? I assume you meant the TV didn't have a resolution of 720x480 rather than the movie on the DVD.

Previous Thread :: Next Thread 
Page 1 of 1

Movie Maker Forums  > Windows Movie Maker  > Publishing and Saving Movies  > Burn a DVD for playback on TV