[Lights, Camera, Action]

Home    Forums    Tutorials    Search    Books    Links 

Windows Movie Maker tips, tutorials, forums and more...

Windows Movie Maker Home   Search   Login   Register   Member List  
Windows Movie Maker  > Technical Support  > do i need to install codecs for Flip camcorder ?    
Previous Thread :: Next Thread 
 Author Thread: do i need to install codecs for Flip camcorder ?
karl is not online. Last active: 10/20/2009 11:38:46 AM karl
Total Posts: 9

do i need to install codecs for Flip camcorder ?
Posted: 13 Oct 2009 09:43 AM
As you can see from my recent query (a couple of threads below), I'm having problems with publishing WMVs from WMM6 (vista). The resulting files appear "unindexed" and/or "corrupt" when played on WMP on XP or uploaded to YouTube. WME9 can't fix the problem.

One thought occurs to me: the source clips are all from my Flip camcorder.

I copy the files from my Flip device by navigating to them in Explorer and copying the files to my Vista machine. I DON'T use the Flip software to transfer the files. The Flip software is not installed on my Vista machine.

Could it be that I therefore don't have the correct codecs copied from my Flip device (which has the Flip editing software on-board) to my Vista PC ?

However, playback of clips from the Flip works fine - the problems only arise when I publish the resulting movie to "This Computer".

Any thoughts ?

Thanks !
DarthSinister is not online. Last active: 10/16/2010 1:23:25 PM DarthSinister
you.justgotowned.com
Top 50 Poster
Total Posts: 552

Re: do i need to install codecs for Flip camcorder ?
Posted: 16 Oct 2009 12:56 PM
What format does the Flip render files in? You may have to convert them to something like DV-AVI or .wmv so that Windows Movie Maker can edit them.

Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in getting up every time we do. ~ Confucius

AIM: kradedis
PapaJohn is not online. Last active: 8/12/2014 6:55:13 PM PapaJohn
www.papajohn.org
Top 25 Poster
Forum Moderator
Total Posts: 13292

Posted: 16 Oct 2009 02:54 PM
The Flip software is built into the camcorder, which offers files as either Xvid compressed avi files or wmv. The HD models record to MP4 files.

The Xvid files might need another codec like ffdshow.... the wmv should work OK in Movie Maker. The MP4 files need the Invision 3ivx codec available from Flip.

Check my website's Cameras and Capture Devices > Brands > Flip page....

... my website isn't here... it's at www.papajohn.org
karl is not online. Last active: 10/20/2009 11:38:46 AM karl
Total Posts: 9

Posted: 18 Oct 2009 02:14 PM
Thanks for your help everyone !

Just to let you (and later readers ?) know: I eventually resolved the issue (WMM6 on Vista producing "corrupt", unindexed or shortened versions of a published WMV file when uploaded to YouTube or played back on WMP on XP systems) as follows:

1) In WMM6 ensure all clips are NOT muted. If you need to remove the sound, use the volume control and set it to zero. DO NOT click "mute" (this is a 'known issue' in WMM6, according to PapaJohn).

2) In WMM6 I disabled all of the Flip 3ivx files ending in ".ax" EXCEPT the one for MP4 (ie.: I disabled the MPEG2 related files). Advice on this site is frequently to experiment with disabling so-called "video filters" ending in the ".ax" file extension via the tools -> options menu in WMM. I guess there may be specific conflicts on my machine - i went through ALL permutations before striking lucky.

Well, that SEEMS to have worked for me.
PapaJohn is not online. Last active: 8/12/2014 6:55:13 PM PapaJohn
www.papajohn.org
Top 25 Poster
Forum Moderator
Total Posts: 13292

Posted: 18 Oct 2009 03:54 PM
thanks for the feedback... yup, computers are almost as individual as people

... my website isn't here... it's at www.papajohn.org
Previous Thread :: Next Thread 
Page 1 of 1

Movie Maker Forums  > Windows Movie Maker  > Technical Support  > do i need to install codecs for Flip camcorder ?