[Lights, Camera, Action]

Home    Forums    Tutorials    Search    Books    Links 

Windows Movie Maker tips, tutorials, forums and more...

Windows Movie Maker Home   Search   Login   Register   Member List  
Windows Movie Maker  > Capturing and Importing Media  > Re: Is WMM Matroska (.MKV) capable?    
Previous Thread :: Next Thread 
 Author Thread: Is WMM Matroska (.MKV) capable?
DarthSinister is not online. Last active: 10/16/2010 1:23:25 PM DarthSinister
you.justgotowned.com
Top 50 Poster
Total Posts: 552

Is WMM Matroska (.MKV) capable?
Posted: 22 Jan 2009 05:22 PM
I stumbled upon an great file format for my HD videos that I rip from Blu-ray discs and put on my laptop when on the go.

I just wanted to know if .mkv files can be imported and edited and saved in any version of Windows Movie Maker.

I would like to be able to play these HD files on my XBOX 360.

For those of you who dont know: "The Matroska Multimedia Container is an open standard free Container format, a file format that can hold an unlimited number of video, audio, picture or subtitle tracks inside a single file." (http://www.matroska.org/technical/specs/index.html#track)

More info here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Matroska

Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in getting up every time we do. ~ Confucius

AIM: kradedis
kathokatho is not online. Last active: 12/29/2011 3:52:08 AM kathokatho
Top 25 Poster
Forum Moderator
Total Posts: 6509

Re: Is WMM Matroska (.MKV) capable?
Posted: 25 Jan 2009 04:06 PM
Haven't heard of it...so it probably isn't...even some .avi files (which is also a container file) won't work.

Cuss, act rude... be ungrateful....go ahead, make my day!

you.justgotowned.com
Top 50 Poster

Posted: 03 Feb 2009 08:47 PM
the .avi files depends on the codecs and the decoders, so say I might have a decoder, is there a possibility that it will work?

Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in getting up every time we do. ~ Confucius

PapaJohn is not online. Last active: 2/23/2015 2:43:58 PM PapaJohn
www.papajohn.org
Top 25 Poster
Forum Moderator
Total Posts: 13291

Posted: 03 Feb 2009 09:32 PM
I've read that VirtualDubMod - so I assume VirtualDub MPEG2 also - can handle MKV files, but I havn't tried it.

... I just tried it on my Vista Home Basic laptop and got an error message when trying to open my test .MKV file.... so maybe it works, but with an added codec.

... my website isn't here... it's at www.papajohn.org
you.justgotowned.com
Top 50 Poster

Posted: 04 Feb 2009 03:03 PM
Well I checked the codec's I have installed and discovered that you'll need Haali Media Splitter installed for the video which Movie Maker will use and the AC3 decoder for the audio.

I've successfully tested this with WLMM (Windows Live Movie Maker) and was able to publish a .WMV file transcoded from a Matroska Media File.

However, seeing that I don't have a copy of Windows Vista anymore (I overwrote it with Windows 7 because of the efficiency) could people confirm this works with the older versions?

chris198810 is not online. Last active: 6/5/2018 4:55:31 AM chris198810
Total Posts: 68

Posted: 20 Apr 2015 05:09 AM
Want to edit MKV files in Windows Movie Maker and create a home movie? Then you will be disappointed since MKV is not supported by Windows Movie Maker. To get MKV files to be imported to Windows Movie Maker, you will need to convert MKV to Windows Movie Maker supported media formats like WMV, AVI, ASF, etc.

http://www.brorsoft.com/how-to/convert-mkv-to-windows-movie-maker.html
Previous Thread :: Next Thread 
Goto to page:  Prev Next

Movie Maker Forums  > Windows Movie Maker  > Capturing and Importing Media  > Re: Is WMM Matroska (.MKV) capable?