[Lights, Camera, Action]

Home    Forums    Tutorials    Search    Books    Links 

Windows Movie Maker tips, tutorials, forums and more...

Windows Movie Maker Home   Search   Login   Register   Member List  
Windows Movie Maker  > Transitions, Effects and Titles  > Can "Wipe" be added to Rehan's Split Video transitions? (XP)    
Previous Thread :: Next Thread 
 Author Thread: Can "Wipe" be added to Rehan's Split Video transitions? (XP)
UhSir is not online. Last active: 9/4/2017 10:04:08 PM UhSir
Total Posts: 83

Can "Wipe" be added to Rehan's Split Video transitions? (XP)
Posted: 24 Jan 2009 01:10 PM
I have scoured the forum looking for this tweak and didn't find it, but I did find some really cool other stuff that I've added to my collection.Smiley I even went to the MSDN website that Rehan links to, found some attributes and tried them but nothing worked, which doesn't surprise me since I was pretty much clueless about what I read over there.Tongue out

My version of WMM is on XP. Yesterday I downloaded Rehan's Split Video transitions and I love them.

I am wondering if I can change or add something so that the transition will do the hold as it currently does and then do a wipe instead of the "jump" that I currently get.

For example:
Let's say clip1 is an elderly woman reading a letter, she is mostly on the left of the shot and clip2 is a child playing and she is mostly on the right of the shot. I would like to start with clip1 then use "SPLIT: Diagonal / Soft" to bring in clip2 and hold it for a while then have the wipe happen so I end up with only clip2.

|
| Hardware: ASUS G73SW-A1, i7-2630QM CPU, 8 GB RAM,
| NVIDIA GeForce GTX 460M (4095 MB, DirectX 11, Shader Model 5),
| Dual 500 GB internal hard drives.
| Software: Windows 7 Home Premium, Windows Movie Maker 6, Expression Encoder, Freemake

Re: Can "Wipe" be added to Rehan's Split Video transitions? (XP)
Posted: 24 Jan 2009 02:40 PM
Oops! My example is incorrect. I state the clips opposite of how I intend them to be. I can't edit the original post so I'll restate it correctly here.

Clip1 is a child playing and she is mostly on the right of the shot.
Clip2 is an elderly woman reading a letter, she is mostly on the left of the shot.
I start with clip1 then use "SPLIT: Diagonal / Soft" to bring in clip2 and hold it for a while then have the wipe happen so I end up with only clip2.

|
| Software: Windows 7 Home Premium, Windows Movie Maker 6, Expression Encoder, Freemake
glow is not online. Last active: 2/28/2016 4:07:11 AM glow
Top 25 Poster
Total Posts: 1441

Posted: 28 Jan 2009 10:36 PM
I'm not sure if there are parameters in the existing split transitions to do what you want.
However my first reaction was that it could be done with a customised gradient file.
You colour black (0) the part which should be visible during the split and then create a gradient from grey to white over the rest to create the wipe. The shade of grey determines how late the wipe starts - a number between 1 and 255.

Download spilt_then_wipe.zip and unzip into the usual C:\Program Files\Movie Maker\Shared\AddOnTFX directory.

See if this is close enough.

If you want to tweak the image, I also included the PowerPoint file where I created the gradient files. You can play with the starting colour of the grey gradient to determine the proportion of the transition which is a static split and which is a wipe. At the moment I set the colour to 223 to achieve the last 8th of the transition as a wipe. i.e. 87.5% of the time is split, 12.5% is wipe.

Edit 20100206: Updated links as original geocities site closed

I use Firefox+Greasemonkey scripts for easier editing of forum posts, FAQs and displaying embedded images Wink

Posted: 29 Jan 2009 12:07 AM
Thank you glow! I'll give all of this a try and let you know. Thanks again.

|

Posted: 05 Jun 2009 12:20 PM
I finally got a chance to work on this again.

This works just like I was imagining. Thank you so much!

|
glow is not online. Last active: 2/28/2016 4:07:11 AM glow
Top 25 Poster
Total Posts: 1441

Posted: 05 Jun 2009 08:58 PM

ExcellentWink

I use Firefox+Greasemonkey scripts for easier editing of forum posts, FAQs and displaying embedded images Wink
Previous Thread :: Next Thread 
Page 1 of 1

Movie Maker Forums  > Windows Movie Maker  > Transitions, Effects and Titles  > Can "Wipe" be added to Rehan's Split Video transitions? (XP)