[Lights, Camera, Action]

Home    Forums    Tutorials    Search    Books    Links 

Windows Movie Maker tips, tutorials, forums and more...

Windows Movie Maker Home   Search   Login   Register   Member List  
Windows Movie Maker  > Transitions, Effects and Titles  > Re: Newspaper Title -Spin and zooms in (Overlay)    
Previous Thread :: Next Thread 
 Author Thread: Newspaper Title -Spin and zooms in (Overlay)
Cecil B is not online. Last active: 6/17/2005 2:10:45 AM Cecil B
Total Posts: 3

Newspaper Title -Spin and zooms in (Overlay)
Posted: 15 Jun 2005 08:07 PM
This is a great title option. Is there any way to have two different type fonts, one for the banner and one for the headline? For example The San Francisco Chronicle uses something close to Old English Text MT for the banner and Times Roman for the Headline.

Thanks
considerate_guy is not online. Last active: 12/20/2014 1:05:46 AM considerate_guy
movies.blainesville.com
Top 25 Poster
Forum Moderator
Total Posts: 24160

Re: Newspaper Title -Spin and zooms in (Overlay)
Posted: 15 Jun 2005 08:56 PM
Using the tips and hints from Rehan's website, it was easy to modify the standard title and add the Fonts for the two lines. Note: once you set the specific fonts in the .xml file, you can't override them in Movie Maker anymore.

<TransitionsAndEffects Version="1.0">
<Titles>
<TitleDLL guid="{353359C1-39E1-491b-9951-464FD8AB071C}">
<Title name="Newspaper (Two fonts)" iconid="13" >
<Param name="InternalName" value="TitleMultiTitles"/>
<Param name="Description" value="Spins and zooms in (overlay)"/>
<Param name="OptimalDurationMultiplier" value="2.0"/>
<Param name="LogoBitmapFilename" value="news.png"/>
<Param name="LogoRect" value="0.075 0.075 0.85 0.85"/>
<Param name="EntranceVideoRect" value="0.38 0.41 0.35 0.35"/>
<Param name="MainVideoRect" value="0.38 0.41 0.35 0.35"/>
<Param name="ExitVideoRect" value="0.0 0.0 1.0 1.0"/>
<Param name="EntranceDuration" value="1.5"/>
<Param name="EntranceEffect" value="EffectRotate"/>
<Param name="EntranceZoom" value="0.01 0.01"/>
<Param name="MainZoom" value="1.0 1.0"/>
<Param name="ExitDuration" value="1.0"/>
<Param name="ForceFrontColor1" value="#FF505050"/>
<Paragraph>
<Param name="Font" value="Old English Text MT"/>
<Param name="IsOneLine" value="true"/>
<Param name="BoundingRect" value="0.1 0.075 0.8 0.15"/>
<Param name="MaxCharacterCount" value="32"/>
</Paragraph>
<Paragraph>
<Param name="Font" value="Times New Roman"/>
<Param name="IsOneLine" value="true"/>
<Param name="BoundingRect" value="0.1 0.25 0.8 0.1"/>
<Param name="MaxCharacterCount" value="32"/>
</Paragraph>
</Title>
</TitleDLL>
</Titles>
</TransitionsAndEffects>

To save this, first make sure you have C:\Program Files\Movie Maker\Shared\AddOnTFX folder. If not, create it.

Next copy the code above into Notepad and then save it as newspaper.xml in the aforementioned folder. Note: the .xml extension is important.

Now restart WMM and you should have a new two-line title called Newspaper (Two fonts).

Enjoy! Cool

-=Blaine=-

Blaine
Movie Maker (Custom Titles, Effects. etc.)Cool
WMM 6.0 on Windows 7 or 8
YouTube videos

Posted: 15 Jun 2005 11:00 PM
Thanks - I guess I just flew by that at Rehan's site. I'm still trying to learn all this stuff.
Your xml does raise another question for me. I see that you used the same guid as is in Rehan's Title2.xml. I was under the impression that each xml had to use a unique guid, if a guid is required at all. I haven't been able to figure out exactly what kind of title or transition requires a guid, what the guid exactly refers to - something in the registry or in a dll. Rehan mentions that in some cases the last 4 numbers must be unique, but when I have played around with changing various values in a xml file, changing the last 4 digits so they are different than in the original xml and saving to a new xml it doesn't work. I have tried to look this kind of information up, but have been unsuccessful, guids remain a big mystery to me. If you could maybe give a short explanation and provide some links where I can read how to use guids in Movie Maker 2 I would be exernally grateful.

Thanks again
considerate_guy is not online. Last active: 12/20/2014 1:05:46 AM considerate_guy
movies.blainesville.com
Top 25 Poster
Forum Moderator

Posted: 15 Jun 2005 11:45 PM
I probably won't explain this perfectly, but a GUID is a "Globally Unique IDentifier". Essentially all sorts of components that get loaded on your system have internal GUIDs. They are kind of like a UPC code that you might find on something you buy. They are intended to be unique just like a UPC code.

Inside your registry (if you want to search), you'll find that {353359C1-39E1-491b-9951-464FD8AB071C} matches up with a component called DXImageTransform.Microsoft.MMSpecialEffectInplace1Input which is what does the for the rotating newspaper effect. On my system it has the same ID as on your system, and all across the planet it should have that "GUID". No other component should have that GUID.

So when you specify the GUID, you are saying, "I want to use the DXImageTransform component that does the rotating image efffect". If you change the GUID, you will be pointing to something completely different or even non-existent, so you don't want to do that.

Having said that, if you were to write your own special effects DLL you would have to make sure you assigned a GUID that no one else had ever used. There are utilities provided that will use the MAC address of your network card, a timestamp, etc. and encode that into a unique GUID for your module. You probably aren't doing this, so instead you want to be using the GUIDs of existing modules.

The Microsoft website has details on using the DXImageTransform components and it includes their GUIDs. The first post in this thread has a link, I believe.

Does that make it clearer or not?

-=Blaine=-

Blaine
YouTube videos

Posted: 16 Jun 2005 02:45 AM
Thanks for you explanation. Yes it does answer what the guid refers to. I did find it in my registry. I think I will just stick to embedding my modifications within the xml file that contains the feature I am modifying even though some time this works and some times it doesn't. I certainly don't have any aspirations of writing a DLL. By the way, that is what I had to do with your solution. When I copied it to Newspaper.xml and put that in C:\Program Files\Movie Maker\Shared\AddOnTFX it didn't work, I think because I also Rehan's titles2.xml in that directory. When I left it as a seperate file it caused two entries for the original newspaper title. Once I inserted it into titles2.xml (without the guid number line) it worked fine.

After I posted it occurred to me that it would probably more useful to have just the headline font specified as Times Roman and leave the Banner up to the user to choose for the paticular paper he was trying to emulate as most all papers use Time Roman for headlines and text, but their banners may differ. Another solution would be to just alter the news.png file with a graphics program.

I would just like to say that I really appreciate your responses - they were to the point and quite respectful of my lack of knowledge, unlike so many other forums or newsgroups where one is as likely to get trashed for having an IQ just a little above a door knob. This entire forum seems to have the same helpful attitude, which is refreshing to find. You all should be congratulated.

Thank you very much.
movies.blainesville.com
Top 25 Poster
Forum Moderator

Posted: 16 Jun 2005 02:49 AM
Well, you've made my day! (Or night, as the case may be).

And your suggestions for only specifying one font or modifying the .png (or replacing it with another) are hardly coming from someone with the IQ of a door knob.

-=Blaine=-

Blaine
YouTube videos
movies.blainesville.com
Top 25 Poster
Forum Moderator

Posted: 16 Jun 2005 02:52 AM
Oh, and the post I was referring to was in the "Share Your Transitions and Effects" forum, not here. The shortcut is here:
view post 2203

-=Blaine=-

Blaine
YouTube videos
Rehan is not online. Last active: 5/8/2012 5:49:17 PM Rehan
www.rehanfx.org
Top 25 Poster
Total Posts: 2176

Posted: 16 Jun 2005 08:39 PM
Cecil B, you are confusing two different GUIDs. The guid that goes with TitleDLL guid="{353359C1-39E1-491b-9951-464FD8AB071C}" is specfic to the DLL component that is invoked by Movie Maker to render the title. This needs to be the same guid everywhere and has to be specified always.

There is another GUID which is specific to each and every instance of a title. It is specified with parameter EffectID. For example in line <Title nameID="62917" iconid="13" EffectID="{A6E2C753-30EB-4e3e-B207-82039ED066F4}"> is optional, but when specified must be unique for a particular title.

I skipped the discussion of the first one since it is the same as for Custom Effects and Transitions (Reading and understanding of this article is pre-requirement of my article).

www.rehanfx.org - do more with Windows Movie Maker...
rehanfx.x10hosting.com - mirror site
Rehan is not online. Last active: 5/8/2012 5:49:17 PM Rehan
www.rehanfx.org
Top 25 Poster
Total Posts: 2176

Posted: 16 Jun 2005 08:46 PM
Furthermore you must not save the three xml files (Titles1.xml, Titles2.xml and Credits.xml) in the AddOnTFX folder. These files are for studying the xml code only. The titles and crdits they implement are already part of the Movie Maker executable (moviemk.exe). if you save these files in AddOnTFX folder you will duplicate the built in titles. This can also lead to a lot of confusion.

www.rehanfx.org - do more with Windows Movie Maker...
rehanfx.x10hosting.com - mirror site
UnCinco is not online. Last active: 10/3/2006 2:45:42 PM UnCinco
Total Posts: 10

Posted: 03 Oct 2006 02:43 PM
Would it be possible to modify this xml so that:

1)news.png not spin
2)have inset spin and zoom to screen

I using an old case where my mom use to keep pics as news.png and would like to use still pics (instead of video) spin and zoom to screen.

I would appreciate your help or direction to help.

Thanks,
Santos
KD is not online. Last active: 4/17/2008 8:55:37 PM KD
Total Posts: 2

Posted: 15 Apr 2008 02:51 PM
How do I import a team picture in the blank area of the newspaper. I am using Vista. Thanks,
dickmr is not online. Last active: 2/22/2014 9:43:15 PM dickmr
Top 25 Poster
Total Posts: 3100

Posted: 15 Apr 2008 03:17 PM
Just import the team picture....drag it to the timeilne. Then go into the 'titles and credits'....choose 'title on the selected clip'.....then find the title animation of the newspaper. Add text or hit space bar, and then done. Have fun.
Previous Thread :: Next Thread 
Goto to page:  Prev Next

Movie Maker Forums  > Windows Movie Maker  > Transitions, Effects and Titles  > Re: Newspaper Title -Spin and zooms in (Overlay)