[Lights, Camera, Action]

Home    Forums    Tutorials    Search    Books    Links 

Windows Movie Maker tips, tutorials, forums and more...

Windows Movie Maker Home   Search   Login   Register   Member List  
Windows Movie Maker  > Windows Movie Maker Tips and Tricks  > PHOTO DURATION    
Previous Thread :: Next Thread 
 Author Thread: PHOTO DURATION
BRIZOWN is not online. Last active: 10/22/2008 4:27:43 AM BRIZOWN
Total Posts: 2

PHOTO DURATION
Posted: 21 Oct 2008 07:16 AM
Does anyone know how to a way how to choose photo duration, other than dragging the bar sideways? It would be really good if I could choose an exact amount time rather than having to use the random durations selected by the program.

Am I the only one who has this problem? lol!
blazinsun21 is not online. Last active: 2/7/2009 1:08:24 AM blazinsun21
www.freewebs.com
Total Posts: 52

Re: PHOTO DURATION
Posted: 21 Oct 2008 09:47 AM
You mean choose the Default Image length...
I think thats possible....
You press Tools at the top
then press Options...
then you will see the option to change pic duration...
Hope this helps
~Blaz

My WMM Information:
Microsoft Windows Movie Maker XP
Version 5.1 (Build 2600.xpsp.080413-2111 : Service Pack 3)
Windows Movie Maker Version 2.1.4026.0

Visit My site Now!!!Smiley
neophyte is not online. Last active: 11/18/2017 7:54:20 AM neophyte
neos-world.is-great.org
Top 25 Poster
Forum Moderator
Total Posts: 20181

Posted: 21 Oct 2008 04:05 PM
BRIZOWN - just wanted to make you aware that the method posted by blazinsun21 only changes the duration of those images added to the timeline/storyboard after you've made the change (the duration of any images added before the change will be unaffected by the change).

To change the duration of images already on the timeline, you can add a custom speed-up or slow-down effect, manually change each one as you mentioned in your post or delete the images, make the change and then add the images back to the timeline.

I hear and I forget. I see and I remember. I do and I understand. -- Confucius
BRIZOWN is not online. Last active: 10/22/2008 4:27:43 AM BRIZOWN
Total Posts: 2

Posted: 22 Oct 2008 04:27 AM
Ah ok. Both of your comments are really helpful.

I've only just started on this project, so I'll delete the photo's, change the setting, then add them again.

Cheers guys

blazinsun21 is not online. Last active: 2/7/2009 1:08:24 AM blazinsun21
www.freewebs.com
Total Posts: 52

Posted: 22 Oct 2008 08:37 AM
No problem! Its good you just started or.... you'd have to Restart a lot...Wink
~Blaz

My WMM Information:
Microsoft Windows Movie Maker XP
Version 5.1 (Build 2600.xpsp.080413-2111 : Service Pack 3)
Windows Movie Maker Version 2.1.4026.0

Visit My site Now!!!Smiley
considerate_guy is not online. Last active: 8/7/2015 5:49:08 PM considerate_guy
movies.blainesville.com
Top 25 Poster
Forum Moderator
Total Posts: 24219

Posted: 28 Oct 2008 04:04 AM
I still wish there was a way to change the duration on a set of clips, and to specify the amount exactly in a field somehow.

Blaine
Movie Maker (Custom Titles, Effects. etc.)Cool
WMM 6.0 on Windows 7 or 8
YouTube videos
bcash14 is not online. Last active: 11/14/2008 3:20:05 AM bcash14
Total Posts: 3

Posted: 11 Nov 2008 10:05 PM
Wow, this is exactly my question!! Unfortunately I've already added, and placed in a certain order, almost 300 pictures into my slideshow. Once I added in all of the transitions I was hoping there was a simple way to increase the duration of all of the pics. Any ideas?? Hopefully I won't have to go in and manually increase every single pic!!!

I just started using Movie Maker and love the ease of use, but there seem to be some very annoying limitations (this definitely being one of them!). Also, I added every single transition manually. Shouldn't there be some function that can just add random transitions in between each pic?!??!?

Thanks!!!
BC
neos-world.is-great.org
Top 25 Poster
Forum Moderator

Posted: 11 Nov 2008 10:48 PM
bcash - welcome to the forums.

You can do it by applying a custom speed-up or slow down effect to your images. Post back with which versions of Windows and Movie Maker you have plus what you want to change the duration from and to - that will allow someone to provide you more specific info on what you need to do.

I'll also warn you that Movie Maker (especially the XP version) can run into a "complexity" barrier when using that large a number of images. transitions, etc in your project. Are you able to save/publish your movie? If you can't, the fix is to break your project up into pieces, save/publish the pieces, import the pieces into a new Movie Maker project, complete any final editing and then save/publish this as your final movie.

kathokatho is not online. Last active: 12/29/2011 3:52:08 AM kathokatho
Top 25 Poster
Forum Moderator
Total Posts: 6509

Posted: 12 Nov 2008 11:17 AM
This is why I like using Photo Story for images....you do have more control over the duration...using the pan and zoom...I can set it to start and stop from the same location...(that way it neither pans nor zooms)...and can set it for the seconds I need.

Cuss, act rude... be ungrateful....go ahead, make my day!

Posted: 12 Nov 2008 12:49 PM
Thanks for the reply!! I really appreciate it!

I'm running Windows Vista SP1 64-bit and Movie Maker v6.0.6000.16386.

Right now I have ~300 photos, each with the default of 5 seconds per pic and each with a transition in between of 1.25 secs. So, the total slide show is approx 18 mins long. I was hoping to increase each pic to 6-7 secs with the transitions in place.

Thanks for the warning about the potential size issue. So far I haven't run into any issues publishing or saving the project and was able to burn to DVD as well using DVD Maker. BTW, when I publish the project I'm selecting "Windows Media DVD Quality (3.0Mbps)". I'm going to be playing this on a big screen/dvd player. Is this the optimum choice or should I use something else?

Also, if I slow down playback, will it distort the sound tracks I've applied to the show? Might sound strange!

And, one more dumb question - what's the "Photo Story" kathokatho mentions in the post below?

Thanks to people in this forum - it certainly helps! And I can't wait to start making actual movies with MM!
neos-world.is-great.org
Top 25 Poster
Forum Moderator

Posted: 12 Nov 2008 10:10 PM
Here's the custom xml file that changes the duration from 5 to 7 seconds

<TransitionsAndEffects Version="2.8">
<Effects>
<EffectDLL guid="TFX">
<Effect guid="{00000000-0000-0000-0000-000000000000}" name="Slow down for bcash14" iconid="27" speed="0.71429" comment="Slow down for bcash14">
</Effect>
</EffectDLL>
</Effects>
</TransitionsAndEffects>

To add this to Movie Maker (requires administrator privileges) do the following:
1. Close Movie Maker (if it is open)
2. Create a folder called AddOnTFX in the folder C:\Program Files\Movie Maker\Shared\ (if it doesn't already exist)
3. Open Notepad (Start > All Programs > Accessories > Notepad)
4. Copy the XML code from above and paste it into Notepad
5. In Notepad, Go to the "File" menu and click on "Save As" and then type in "anyfilename.xml" - NOT - "anyfilename.xml.txt" (The .xml extension is important; but you can change "anyfilename" to anything you like.)
6. Navigate to your Desktop
7. In the box that reads "Save As Type", click the down arrow and select "All Files"
8. In the box below "Save As Type" that reads "Encoding", confirm that it reads "ANSI" and then click on "Save"
9. Copy the file from your Desktop to your AddOnTFX folder (the folder you just created) at C:/Program Files/Movie Maker/Shared/AddOnTFX (click on the "Continue" button at any prompt)
10. Open Movie Maker and you should now see a new effect named "Slow down for bcash14"

To add this effect to all your slides do the following:
1. Open your Movie Maker project file
2. Go to the Storyboard view
3. Click on the first slide and then do a Ctrl+A to select all the slides
4. Go the the "Tools" menu and click on "Effects"
5. Find the effect named "Slow down for bcash14" and right click on it
6. Click on "Add to Storyboard" on the pop-up menu

If you want to change the duration to something other than 7 seconds, you would need to change the value of the speed parameter in this line of code

<Effect guid="{00000000-0000-0000-0000-000000000000}" name="Slow down for bcash14" iconid="27" speed="0.71429" comment="Slow down for bcash14">

You would set that value to the current duration divided by the desired duration. In this case, that was 5 divided by 7 or .71429.

Applying this effect will not affect the audio on the Audio/Music track. However, as your movie will be longer, you would need to add additional audio/music in order to have audio/music for the total duration of your movie and you would need to resync your audio/music, if there's a certain segment that needs to go with a certain image.

What's the resolution of the big screen you'll be viewing this on and does your DVD player support high def video DVD's or wmv files?

Photo Story 3 is a free download from Microsoft that is designed for doing slide shows whereas Movie Maker was primarily designed for video editing. It has a limit of 300 images per project.

Posted: 12 Nov 2008 11:16 PM
Wow, that's amazing - and it worked just great! THANK YOU!

I'll be playing the show from a DVD, but not sure if the TV is HD. I'm going to guess it's a standard DVD player and non-HD television. Otherwise, we could play it from my laptop and use my projector, which is 720p.
neos-world.is-great.org
Top 25 Poster
Forum Moderator

Posted: 13 Nov 2008 09:57 PM
You're welcome - glad that did what you wanted.

Lee66 is not online. Last active: 12/4/2008 2:02:28 AM Lee66

Posted: 03 Dec 2008 06:25 PM
hi, I just did everything you said to, and when I opened movie maker, I could not find that file in the effects, what would i do now?
dickmr is not online. Last active: 3/26/2017 11:43:26 PM dickmr
Top 25 Poster
Total Posts: 3100

Posted: 03 Dec 2008 09:22 PM
Hi Lee66...welcome to the forum. That effect is for Vista only....if you are on XP you would need a different slow down effect. Otherwise, if you saved it correctly, it should show in your effects with the same title as in the code. I saw on your other post that you had 300 pics in your project...that would be pushing the limit of Movie Maker so you might want to separate that into several projects. Especially if you add a new effect to all of them.
If you do have XP, here is the code for reducing the speed 40% (5 to 7 secs)...

<TransitionsAndEffects Version="1.0">
<Effects>
<EffectDLL guid="{00000000-0000-0000-0000-000000000000}">
<Effect name="Slow down, 40%" iconid="31" speed="0.7142" comment="Slow down, 40%">
</Effect>
</EffectDLL>
</Effects>
</TransitionsAndEffects>

Lee66 is not online. Last active: 12/4/2008 2:02:28 AM Lee66

Posted: 04 Dec 2008 12:33 AM
Thanks for trying to help me.... yes I do have Vista, I have tried it twice now, still didn't work. How do i separate into several projects? This is really the first really long movie I have done. Have not had a problem with smaller ones. Also, you wouldn't happen to know how I can make a song go for a bit longer, I have a set of pics that the person wants to go to a particular song, and it finishes about 5 pics too early, any ideas??
dickmr is not online. Last active: 3/26/2017 11:43:26 PM dickmr
Top 25 Poster
Total Posts: 3100

Posted: 04 Dec 2008 08:08 AM
Hi. One thing you might want to try is to first save your whole project as it is. Be certain you have that as a 'master' file and do not overwrite it. Also, do not move or delete any of the images/audio that make up the project or they will not be found by Movie Maker. When you have your project master file on the timeline, you can delete all items (images/titles/audio) in the second half of your project. Making sure that you stop where there is a good breakpoint, such as where a song ends. You could then name and save the project remains as 'project first half' and publish it to your computer (name it Chapter1). When complete edit/clear timeline and again file open your 'master' project file....this time delete all the items in the first half up to the same breakpoint you determined before. Save that project as 'project second half' and then publish ilt to your computer also (name it Chapter2). Now you can re-import each video made and place them in order on the timeline to put them together as one video. It will be easier for the computer to render this longer vid, since it doesn't have to deal with transitions/effects/titles etc. Just be certain you have the master file intact...so maybe save it as a 'masterbackup' also in case any error is made in overwriting or deleting it etc. Also, having a backup can save you from the possibility of a file being corrupted and unable to open it...this does happen though rarely.

In regards to that xml, it should work. Try going into your AddOnTFX folder and look to see if the xml you saved looks like all of the other ones in that folder. If it doesn't you have saved it incorrectly. If it looks ok, look in your 'effects' for it again, you may have missed it.

Whenever, I have a song that is to short or too long, I either change the length of the items on the timeline to fit, or will edit the music. In your case the song is about 1/2 minute short. I always like for the song to end at the end of the pics, so I would put two copies of the song on the audio line, and drag the right end of the first song back until it is 30 seconds long, and overlap the second song clip just a little with the first one. If it doesn't sound right you can try 'fade in' or 'fade out' on each until it sounds ok. You can edit to different spots and can usually find a fairly seamless continuation of the song.

Good luck with your project. Just be certain you don't overwrite your original project or you'd have to do it again.

horax is not online. Last active: 3/12/2009 1:58:38 AM horax

Posted: 12 Mar 2009 01:58 AM
Great advice!

I did this tonight in a similar situation...200 pix, tons of music, transitions, effects...etc.
The wife comes in and wants all the pix to be up for 5.5 instaed of 4 seconds.

This did the trick!

hx
thefilmwall is not online. Last active: 4/4/2009 7:03:54 PM thefilmwall
www.thefilmwall.com
Total Posts: 1

Posted: 04 Apr 2009 07:03 PM
You can slide show Photo's in Windows Movie Maker.You can give back sound.so i like it.
To change the duration of images already on the timeline, you can add a custom speed-up or slow-down effect, manually change each one as you mentioned in your post or delete the images, make the change and then add the images back to the timeline.

The Film Wall is a place where you can watch [url="http://www.thefilmwall.com"]onlinefree movies[/url] anytime.
Golfer4him is not online. Last active: 2/17/2010 3:52:32 PM Golfer4him
Total Posts: 1

Posted: 17 Feb 2010 03:52 PM
Ok i had the same problem, and fixed it, make sure you go to options, Compatibility, and you have your decoder selected. I didnt have this selected, so my video was all distorted, but once i selected it, it fixed it all up. hope that helps, this way you dont have to download a thing.
Previous Thread :: Next Thread 
Page 1 of 1

Movie Maker Forums  > Windows Movie Maker  > Windows Movie Maker Tips and Tricks  > PHOTO DURATION