[Lights, Camera, Action]

Home    Forums    Tutorials    Search    Books    Links 

Windows Movie Maker tips, tutorials, forums and more...

Windows Movie Maker Home   Search   Login   Register   Member List  
Windows Movie Maker  > Capturing and Importing Media  > Distorted Stills    
Previous Thread :: Next Thread 
 Author Thread: Distorted Stills
EdPell is not online. Last active: 9/9/2015 1:04:42 PM EdPell
Total Posts: 6

Distorted Stills
Posted: 16 Oct 2008 05:40 PM
No, this has nothing to do with making hooch.

I'm trying to make some movies from 720x480 AVI files that were created from very old 8mm and 16mm movies. On a few of the movies, I want to snag a frame to a JPG still and insert it elsewhere in the final movie. When I do this with some of the AVIs, it works fine. With other AVIs, the JPG is stretched slightly sideways, creating black bars on the top and bottom and, of course, stretching the wretch's faces in the pic.

All the AVIs were created using the same equipment during the same timeframe, but because I had it done professionally, I can't supply any technical details. I don't know what, if any, differences there are between the AVIs or the JPGs, but if you need more details, let me know what data would be pertinent and if I need a special program to ferret out those details.

Thanks for any help you can offer,
EdP
kathokatho is not online. Last active: 12/29/2011 3:52:08 AM kathokatho
Top 25 Poster
Forum Moderator
Total Posts: 6509

Re: Distorted Stills
Posted: 16 Oct 2008 05:53 PM
are you talking abou using the "snapshot" feature after the bringing the files into the Movie Maker timeline?

Cuss, act rude... be ungrateful....go ahead, make my day!

Posted: 16 Oct 2008 06:07 PM
Thanks for the quick reply, kathokatho

Yes, I am using the snapshot feature.

I Pause Play, drag the slider to the desired frame, snap it, and save the JPG to a folder. The pic file also appears in the Collection panel which I right-click and add to the Timeline.

EdP
Top 25 Poster
Forum Moderator

Posted: 17 Oct 2008 02:41 AM
and some snaps save with a border and some do not...???? You got me on that one....can't wait for some smart one around here to explain it.....

neophyte is not online. Last active: 3/9/2018 9:52:14 PM neophyte
neos-world.is-great.org
Top 25 Poster
Forum Moderator
Total Posts: 20182

Posted: 17 Oct 2008 11:40 AM
Which versions of Windows and Movie Maker do you have and are you taking the snapshot from a clip in the Collections area or a clip on the timeline?

What aspect ratio (4:3 or 16:9) are you using for your project?

What's the resolution of the preview screen when you take the snapshot?

I hear and I forget. I see and I remember. I do and I understand. -- Confucius

Posted: 17 Oct 2008 03:14 PM
Thanks for the reply, neo ...

Windows XP Pro SP2
MovieMaker 5.1 Build 2600.xpsp_sp2qfe.070227-2300 Version 2.1.4026.0

>are you taking the snapshot from a clip in the Collections area or a clip on the timeline? <
The clip is in the Collections area and I added it to the Timeline. I use the camera icon under the preview window to take the picture. It's the only way I know to do it. I'm not sure how one would know what frame was being captured if the snapshot was taken from a clip in the Collections pane, but then I don't know a heck of a lot about this application.

Aspect ratio - 4:3
Preview screen - 320x240 Incidentally, the View options for the Preview screen resolution are grayed out, so I have no choice.
neos-world.is-great.org
Top 25 Poster
Forum Moderator

Posted: 17 Oct 2008 04:54 PM
Thanks for the info.

Your source video file has a resolution of 720x480, which is an aspect ratio of 3:2. When you take the snapshot in Movie Maker, it saves the snapshot using a 4:3 aspect ratio (320x240). That difference in aspect ratios is why your snapshots appear distorted. One solution is to use another program such as GOM Media Player to take your snapshot at the same resolution (and aspect ratio) as your source file (it's a free download).

FYI, you can take a snapshot from the Collections area by selecting the clip in the Collections area and then using the player in the preview pane to advance to the point in the clip where you want to take your snapshot and then clicking on the camera icon. This will give you a higher resolution image than the one you take from the timeline; but, it would also have a 4:3 aspect ratio.

Posted: 17 Oct 2008 05:39 PM
Thanks, neo ...

I'll check out GOM Media Player.
Now I'm wondering what I saw that told me they were a 4:3 aspect ratio.

I realize this will irk the sensibilities of forum members, but in the meantime, I used IrfanView to change the distorted stills to 720x540. They look pretty good. ;o)

Understand that these are primarily 16mm movies taken 40 to 60 years ago and some have experienced a great deal of deterioration over the years and are in bad shape. I've been going nuts using VirtualDub filters trying to fix color shifts and brightness/contrast problems. The only people who will appreciate the terrible quality of the final DVD are the relatives who will be able to recognize themselves and each other.

I was a rather fat kid in one of the movies and when I created that still pic, I was even fatter!! Can't have that.

Thanks to all who have responded. You may hear from me again as I encounter other problems.

EdP
neos-world.is-great.org
Top 25 Poster
Forum Moderator

Posted: 17 Oct 2008 05:50 PM
You're welcome.

Given you're familiar with VirtualDub, you should be able to use it to extract frames from your video. I thought Irfanview also allowed you to do that; but, I''m not sure whether it supports DV-AVI files.

Given you plan to save your movie to a DVD, I would try to stick to using 720x480 images in your Movie Maker project and saving your movie as a DV-AVI file. That's because a standard definition DVD will have a resolution of 720x480.

Top 25 Poster
Forum Moderator

Posted: 20 Oct 2008 07:42 AM
as to the deteriated state....when I have movies like that...one trick I've used to the delight of the family members....if they already look bad...I use the the "old film" effect...with the added scratches, lines and jumpiness...to make it more authentic....speed it up a hair, add some old silent movie piano music to them...and add in captions......it turns really crappy quality into a really fun treasure.

Posted: 20 Oct 2008 05:22 PM
Well, at one time or another during the course of this project, I edited and saved clips from more than one program; MovieMaker, VirtualDubMod, AVI Trimmer, and NeroVision Express. The final clips, with sound added were saved from either MovieMaker (High Quality Video NTSC) or NVE (MPEG-2). They're all 720x480, or at least that's what each application tells me.

I plan to use NVE to put the final DVD together.

I'm pretty much done now after endless hours and over the span of a few months. My eyes are ready to fall out.

kathokatho ... When I saw that MM had that old file effect, I was tempted to use it, but the quality of these films is so poor, we don't need another messy layer. However, my titles are so clean and new, I may mess them up a bit with that effect so the viewers aren't too disappointed when making the transition from title to movie.

Thank you folks very much for taking the time to answer my questions.
Previous Thread :: Next Thread 
Page 1 of 1

Movie Maker Forums  > Windows Movie Maker  > Capturing and Importing Media  > Distorted Stills