[Lights, Camera, Action]

Home    Forums    Tutorials    Search    Books    Links 

Windows Movie Maker tips, tutorials, forums and more...

Windows Movie Maker Home   Search   Login   Register   Member List  
Windows Movie Maker  > Transitions, Effects and Titles  > Re: How to insert a 'bug'?    
Previous Thread :: Next Thread 
 Author Thread: How to insert a 'bug'?
kit sullivan is not online. Last active: 10/27/2008 8:03:33 AM kit sullivan
Total Posts: 25

How to insert a 'bug'?
Posted: 03 Sep 2008 03:29 PM
Hello,

I'm new here, but I have gotten a lot of help from all of you already! Thanks!

Anyhoo, I am making training videos for my business, and I want to insert a 'bug' of my company logo in the bottom corner of the screen to ake it hard for a competotor to rip-off my videos for thier locations.
I want it to show for about 15 seconds every 3 minutes or so.

Can anyone instruct me on how to go about doing this?

Thanks
av71099 is not online. Last active: 6/12/2010 4:38:52 PM av71099
Top 25 Poster
Total Posts: 2086

Re: How to insert a 'bug'?
Posted: 03 Sep 2008 04:24 PM
Kit,

It all depends on which version of Windows you are using. Smiley

The code for XP works differently from Vista.Wink

av71099

Please and Thank You go a long way.Smiley

Posted: 03 Sep 2008 04:54 PM
I am using windows XP.

I only have the included 'moviemaker' software...no aftermarket programs for movie making or editing.
av71099 is not online. Last active: 6/12/2010 4:38:52 PM av71099
Top 25 Poster
Total Posts: 2086

Posted: 03 Sep 2008 05:48 PM
There are two versions for XPWink

To determine which version of Movie Maker you have, please go back into Movie Maker, click on Help then About Windows Movie Maker.

If you have version 2.1 installed, then great!!! If not, consider upgrading by installing SP2 or SP3.

In addition, I'm going to provide you with three links. The first one is to teach you how to add custom XML

view post 2203

This is the XP transitions/effects/titles available, feel free to look and copyBig Smile

view post 74030

This post leads you to neophyte's FX Archives, you may find what you want thereSmiley

view post 169874

av71099

Please and Thank You go a long way.Smiley
fishycomics is not online. Last active: 8/3/2016 1:46:49 PM fishycomics
Top 25 Poster
Total Posts: 7305

Posted: 03 Sep 2008 06:36 PM
very easy 2 do
you can go about this a few ways
an overlay that you can create as a boarder, or anything you want. you can make the logo and place in a number of spots with truggas website under l1,2 m1,2
how to do this is realy easy

ALL YOUR XMLS IN THIS LINK===> tranistions and effects in alphabetical order <===All your XMLS IN THIS LINK!

thank you in advance If I never say
Top 25 Poster

Posted: 03 Sep 2008 06:38 PM
instructions are to watch a how to video in the pinn and then you must know how to use a photo program
ifstill to hard come back we'll vid you through or I'll vid you through LOL

ALL YOUR XMLS IN THIS LINK===> tranistions and effects in alphabetical order <===All your XMLS IN THIS LINK!

Top 25 Poster

Posted: 03 Sep 2008 06:48 PM
http://www.megavideo.com/?v=C4MNZ80R

that is a how to video I made a long time ago watch and learn if any questions just ask

Posted: 04 Sep 2008 04:22 PM
OK, I am real novice here, so I really only truly understand only about 50% of what you are talking about.

But, I think the situation described here to me won't work perfectly. Here's why:

I need the logo to be a transition/progression through three logos: 2 product logos that we carry, and our company logo.
Clearly, there is no 'stock' logo here that will work for this.
I have each of the logos I want to use as clip-art on my PC, so will that help?

I want it to fade in, and fade through each of the three logos, and hold on my company logo for a longer time, then fade out. If I could add some animation (spinning/fading in, or something catchy like that) that would be nice too, but not strictly necessary.

Also, I am running XP, and I have WMM 2.1
Top 25 Poster

Posted: 04 Sep 2008 05:28 PM
all you need to do is add multiple logos in you can overlap the overlay lines there is a animation logo, and maybe someonewho already madea locked logo can add their comment in.

stop animation can be made in the overlay line for movement
this is what we call editing.........................
if you do not know what or how to do a XML it will be greek,why one must step back and learn a lil. never offending we were all new once.

Posted: 04 Sep 2008 05:58 PM
No offense taken...I understand how delaing with true novices can be when you may be an expert at something.
I am a tribologist (lubrication engineer) and I am constantly having to deal with so-called 'experts' that think they know what they are talking about, but really have not a clue. But at least some of them ant to learn!

But anyhoo...you are right: I haven't aclue what XML is, how it works or how to work with it.
Top 25 Poster

Posted: 04 Sep 2008 06:35 PM
watch the videos in the pinned post of my signiture. if needed the pause is ther :)

test out a XML first a simple one see if you can get it to work

try level 1's first or just try to find the addontfx folder.

we can always make a XML for you a logo one
it is a matter of uploading and asking we'll zip it back and done. all you need to do is get the XMLs in.

it is a matter of 1 hours time and you'll learn it.
I hear you

dickmr is not online. Last active: 3/26/2017 11:43:26 PM dickmr
Top 25 Poster
Total Posts: 3100

Posted: 05 Sep 2008 03:30 PM
Kit, if you have watched fishys vids, and have the general idea of xml code, you have a good start. If you are still looking to attempt it, I can show you a way that the logos can be transitioned and animated with Movie Maker effects by using bluescreen.
Step by step if you want to try to learn more. As fishy said, about an hours time and you can learn quite a bit. But its often trial and error learning by yourself from scratch. The following code is the bluescreen transition....have you learned how to install this in MM so far? If not I'll help out. Have fun.

<TransitionsAndEffects Version="1.0" >
<Transitions>
<TransitionDLL guid="{C5B19592-145E-11D3-9F04-006008039E37}" >
<Transition name="Bluescreen" iconid="12" comment="Makes first clip show through blue areas of second clip">
<Param name="KeyType" value="1"/>
<Param name="Similarity" value="100"/>
<Param name="Progress" value="0.0"/>
</Transition>
</TransitionDLL>
</Transitions>
</TransitionsAndEffects>

Posted: 05 Sep 2008 04:33 PM
Yep, I got the 'bluescreen' transistion installed, and I tested it out and it worked fine. So that's not a big deal to me anymore.

Where do I go from here to create the effect I'm looking for?
Top 25 Poster

Posted: 05 Sep 2008 05:56 PM
Ok, this is likely a lot different than how others sometimes do things....but follow along. Install this 'title' as you would with other xml (same as you did to get bluescreen)... once you get it installed, open up Movie Maker. Import an image or video, and drag it to your timeline. Then select 'titles and credits' and find this animation as it is named...''Credits: Video Lower Right''....hit the space bar at edit text for no text (we're not going to use text) and then click on done. Drag the title overlay across the length of your image or video and then preview it. Does your image go to the lower right corner approximating a logo location? Check it out and let me know if you got this ok so far.

<TransitionsAndEffects Version="1.0">
<Titles>
<TitleDLL guid="{353359C1-39E1-491b-9951-464FD8AB071C}">
<Title name="Credits: Video Lower Right" iconid="13">
<Param name="InternalName" value="CreditStandard" />
<Param name="Description" value="Credits scroll up on the left with video placed in a window on the right (overlay)" />
<Param name="CreditLineOverlap" value="0.68" />
<Param name="IsHeaderFullTime" value="false" />
<Param name="MainVideoRect" value="0.72 0.76 0.26 0.18" />
<Param name="OptimalDurationMultiplier" value="2.0" />
<Param name="MaxCharacterCount" value="30" />
<Param name="HorizontalAlignment" value="Center" />
<Param name="BackgroundColor1" value="#1E90FF" />
<Param name="BackgroundColor2" value="#1E90FF" />
<Param name="BoundingRect" value="0.0 0.0 1.0 1.0" />
<Paragraph>
<Param name="RenderOrder" value="RenderLast" />
<Param name="BannerType" value="NoBanner" />
<Param name="BoundingRect" value="0.72 0.76 0.26 0.18" />
<Param name="EntranceEffect" value="EffectFade" />
<Param name="EntranceDuration" value="1.0" />
<Param name="ExitEffect" value="EffectFade" />
<Param name="ExitDuration" value="1.0" />
<Param name="IsOneLine" value="true" />
</Paragraph>
<Paragraph>
<Param name="EntrancePosition" value="0.5 1.3" />
<Param name="ExitPosition" value="0.5 -0.3" />
<Param name="BoundingRect" value="0.0 0.2 0.55 0.25" />
<Param name="VerticalAlignment" value="Bottom" />
<Param name="FontSize" value="16.0" />
</Paragraph>
<Paragraph>
<Param name="EntrancePosition" value="0.5 1.3" />
<Param name="ExitPosition" value="0.5 -0.3" />
<Param name="BoundingRect" value="0.0 0.45 0.55 0.35" />
<Param name="VerticalAlignment" value="Top" />
<Param name="FontSize" value="25.0" />
</Paragraph>
</Title>
</TitleDLL>
</Titles>
</TransitionsAndEffects>

Posted: 08 Sep 2008 11:21 AM
Yes, the whole screen image shrinks down to the lower right corner, while the text scrolls up the left side of the screen.

I understand about how to 'blank' the text with the space bar, but I am not sure about the rest.

I don't want the original image to shrink down to the corner and then grow back to full size...I want a logo to appear in the corner on top of the video image.

But maybe you are not finished with me?

Thanks for your help so far...what's next?

Posted: 08 Sep 2008 12:56 PM
OK, I've been working with this, let me know if I am doing something wrong:

1)I assembled the video clip from three logos
2)I laid the "credits: lower right corner" transition over the entire clip, with no text.
The image shrinks down to the corner, and back to full size at completetion

3) I saved this to my computer as a video file. The file is just the logos shrinking down/up, with a solid blue background, since I did not put it on top of any other video yet.

4) I opened a new project in WMM, imported the actual video of the training material, imported the 'logo' video and joined them with the 'bluescreen' transition.

5) it worked pretty good, except for a couple issues:

The letters in one of the logos is blue, so they appear transparent when on screen. How can I fix that without changing the color of the letters?

And, the size of the shrunken window is still a little too large...can I alter the size and placement of that?
Top 25 Poster

Posted: 08 Sep 2008 03:44 PM
Nope, I wasn't done with you yet, but you are pretty smart in taking it further...LOL
Not many would think that far ahead as you did. I think you figured out that when you re-import the vid of your logos you can edit off the movement that resizes down and at the end back up. So just make an adjustment to compensate for the beginning and end when you make the logo vid. I don't know enough about xml to mess with the other parts of the code...LOL You are right about the 'blue' color in your logo/video and I would have mentioned that later. There are a couple of ways to address that...of course, you know you could change any blue color to a different color...that is easiest. Its just an exception of using this method...which I like to do since it is not 'static' and you can have a video playing in the area you specify. The great thing is that you can apply effects on your logos such as spotlights/zooming/hue changes etc...as well as any transitions. If you must have blue on your logo vid, you might try another background. Note in the code there are two lines specifying the background color as blue...1E90FF denotes the Dodger Blue I used as background as the title moves to the lower right.
You could try to change the code to black...change the two lines to all zeros for the color black..... 000000 ..... just replace the 1E90FF only with the six zeros and the background will be black. Then following the same method you did you can use the comp a add b transition instead of blue screen transition to overlay the vids. In this case the 'black' is made transparent instead of the blue. Here is the comp a add b transition if you don't have it.

<TransitionsAndEffects Version="1.0">
<Transitions>
<TransitionDLL guid="{9A43A844-0831-11D1-817F-0000F87557DB}" >
<Transition name="Comp A add B" iconid="0" comment="DXCOMPFUNC_A_ADD_B">
<Param name="Function" value="9" />
</Transition>
</TransitionDLL>
</Transitions>
</TransitionsAndEffects>

Now, as far as the size....if you look at the code you will see two lines with the numbers .72 .... .76 .... .26 .... .18 Using 1.00 as full screen, in general this means 72% over from the left....76% down from the top. This gives the location.
Then the size is determined by 26% width of the screen and 18% height of the screen. The limitations are for example, that if you are already 72% from the left you can't make the width greater than 28% since it wouldnt fit. Also if you are 76% down, the height can't be greater than 24%. Since the video of your logos is likely saved at 640x480 that is 4x3, so you wouldn't want your shrunken window to be square but wider than the height. if it is too large try to change the two lines with those numbers to .76 over... .80 down ..... .22 width ..... .16 height Remember to change both lines where you see those numbers...and save the xml again over the top of the original or rename it in the title line on the xml as a new one and save that with a different xml name too. Restart Movie Maker to see if what you get is more to your liking. Thanks for getting ahead of me a little bit...glad you figured out what I was driving at, since this is a different methodology from straight PIP. LOL Here is a vid I made to show as an example, where I was going to mention the blue problem....the blue colors in the multi-colored vid were made transparent and showed the black background. Have fun...let me know how it works out.

BlueScreenExample

Posted: 08 Sep 2008 05:21 PM
Yeah, I trimmed off the reduce/enlarge ends of the saved video.

I am not really sure if black as a background color will work: All the logs have plenty of black in them...wouldn't they just end up with all the black parts 'transparent' as before like the blue?

I cannot change the logo's colors for they are coprporate logos and should stay in thier approved colors.

How about if I use a color for the background that does not appear in any of the three logos I use?

The logos use blue, red black and yellow in their color schemes as well as shades of gray (which is really just black, right?).

What if I were to have a 'greenscreen' transition instead of blue? Can that be accomplished?

For that, wouldn't I have a new 'greenscreen' xml as well as a new credit: lower right corner' xml?

And I am still struggling with the size: I am trying to get it about 15% smaller than it is now, and closer to the corner: both lower and closwer to the right edge.

Posted: 08 Sep 2008 05:32 PM
I tried to substitute new measurement numbers for the effect:

I changed them to: .80, .80, .16, .12. I did this on both lines that showed the numbers.

I saved this as another xml file, and sure enough both of the 'credits: lower right corner' show up in the 'add credits' task pane.

However, they both are the same. The image does not shrink down any smaller or in a different location than before. Did I miss something?
Top 25 Poster

Posted: 08 Sep 2008 05:59 PM
Your new paramaters should work. The xml has a name in the title line and you likely didn't change it so you got a duplicate....if you didn't change it, all you did was give yourself the same choice, even if you named the xml something different. The name in the xml title is what you find in the 'titles and credits section'...if you didn't change it but saved an additional xml, that is why you now have two choices. In that case, just delete the new xml you saved in the addOnTfx folder and make a new one with a new title. Otherwise they will be in conflict and thats likely why you don't see a change...learn how to do it, because if you get into all the various custom effects/transitions and titles you'll have so many variations and names it will be hard to identify them.

Let me look at the chroma green transition and try it out. I'll be back in a while.

Top 25 Poster

Posted: 08 Sep 2008 07:08 PM
I couldn't quickly find any easily compatible colors....so i'd like to change direction if you want to learn some more. There are multiple ways of doing things in Movie Maker, some are more difficult and some are easier. For example, with the method we've been doing, I would black out the area of the logo and wouldnt have color problems. But lets take another easier route where you won't be concerned with color problems.

Go to Rehan's site at the link below and get PIP+ installed on your computer. When at that page click on where it says Main Plug-In and install the dll's...and then just below that install the PipPlus Static PIP Transitions package too. It says its a 15 day trial, but after that all the static items stay and do not expire. Its only $8 and you could always buy the full package too, but the static items are very advantageous. Let me know if you get this installed and that you can see and use the various effects and transitions in your Movie Maker when you open it. After you get PIP and its installed ok, i'll give you a new xml that will take the vid you make out of your logos and will directly put the Picture-In-Picture in the location we specify. Let me know. Go here to get PipPlus...

RehanFxPipPlus

Posted: 09 Sep 2008 11:43 AM
I deleted the modified xml file from my 'addontfx' folder, leaving only the original "credits: lower right" in the file.

I went back as re-saved the origianl xml agaian, chaning the parameters to .80,.80,.16,.12 and also chaing the title line )I added the word 'smaller' to the end of the title.

It does not show up in my WMM under credits like the last one...just the original one is all that is there now.

Posted: 09 Sep 2008 11:51 AM
I went in a deleted the file again, and added it back with the changes...it does not show up in WMM.

What have I done wrong?

Posted: 09 Sep 2008 01:55 PM
Well, I did it all over for a third time and unexpectadly it worked this time! I don't know what I was doing wrong, but I must have inadvertantly 'fixed' it.

Anyway, I stuck with the 'blue' problem. I need the logo to have it's blue color, and the bluescreen effect makes it transparent.
Top 25 Poster

Posted: 09 Sep 2008 02:43 PM
My guess is that you weren't putting the .xml extension on the end of the name, or you weren't choosing 'all files' on the other ones....ha ha

Did you get PIP+. If you did then you would just need an xml similar to the title one. But the new xml would actually put the Picture in Picture and wouldn't be effected by keying it. You would just need the main video and your logo video as the PIP transitioned. Up to you.
Previous Thread :: Next Thread 
Goto to page:  Prev Next

Movie Maker Forums  > Windows Movie Maker  > Transitions, Effects and Titles  > Re: How to insert a 'bug'?