[Lights, Camera, Action]

Home    Forums    Tutorials    Search    Books    Links 

Windows Movie Maker tips, tutorials, forums and more...

Windows Movie Maker Home   Search   Login   Register   Member List  
Movie Maker Users Showcase  > Share Your XP Transitions and Effects!!  > 240 Tranjelly transition shapes for the free Pixelan SpiceFX 4 demo    
Previous Thread :: Next Thread 
 Author Thread: 240 Tranjelly transition shapes for the free Pixelan SpiceFX 4 demo
glow is not online. Last active: 2/28/2016 4:07:11 AM glow
Top 25 Poster
Total Posts: 1441

240 Tranjelly transition shapes for the free Pixelan SpiceFX 4 demo
Posted: 10 Aug 2008 08:37 AM
In the Pixelan SpiceFX 4.0, 5.0 or 6 package there's a free Tranjelly LE wizard for creating bevelled transitions.
The wizard allows you to choose from 48 different shapes.
I noticed that there were many more shapes (.SPG files) not available from the Wizard
and I was curious as to what they look like.

Presumably Pixelan's SpiceMaster PRO allows access to these extra shapes via the wizard
http://www.pixelan.com/mm/spicemaster.htm
However Pixelan have given us all the shapes in the demo which we can use by modifying the XML.

So I've made an XML file to exercise each of the 240 .SPG files in
C:\Program Files\Pixelan\SpiceFX\Wizards\System\SM\Spices\Spices
- some may be duplicates but in different directories.
In most cases I just used the same values for style, depth and timing.
The only exception were those IrisesPIP where I chose a timing for Picture-In-Picture.
I then made corresponding thumbnails.
This zip file TranJelly02.zip contains the XML and DLL for Movie Maker 2.x
TransJelly02_Vista.zip is for Vista Movie Maker 6.0 (thanks to PatrickL for the Vista version)

How to use
1. Install the Pixelan SpiceFX 4.0, 5.0 or 6 demo including the Tranjelly LE
2. Unzip TranJelly02.zip (XP) or TransJelly02_Vista.zip (Vista) into C:\Program Files\Movie Maker\Shared\AddOnTFX
3. Restart Movie Maker
4. Transitions appear under T for TranJelly with no leading space (unlike those created by the wizard which start with a space)

Hint: with so many to pick from where do you start? I quite like "TranJelly Videogami 3 vi Flapper1"

Here's a screenshot of some of the transitions
[IMG]http://sites.google.com/site/glowwindowsmoviemaker/examples/TranJelly02_screenshot.jpg[/IMG]

Edit 20081109: added link to PatrickL's Vista version and included screenshot
Edit 20090820: Works with SpiceFX5.0 demo as well
Edit 20100206: Updated links as original geocities site closed
Edit 20130826: Works with SpiceFx 6 demo
Edit 20151122: Updated link to Vista version as PatrickL's original link was broken

I use Firefox+Greasemonkey scripts for easier editing of forum posts, FAQs and displaying embedded images Wink
fayfen is not online. Last active: 2/24/2017 3:42:04 AM fayfen
Top 25 Poster
Total Posts: 892

Re: 240 Tranjelly transition shapes for the free Pixelan SpiceFX 4 demo
Posted: 10 Aug 2008 01:02 PM
amazing work!!
Tnx, for going for all that trouble.

I'm investigating your XML file, and it's all new to me.
I don't know what all the ?? are doing there.

indeed the Pixelan is a great piece of S/W
PapaJohn is not online. Last active: 2/23/2015 2:43:58 PM PapaJohn
www.papajohn.org
Top 25 Poster
Forum Moderator
Total Posts: 13291

Posted: 10 Aug 2008 01:41 PM
the SPG files may be gradient files rather than shapes...

... my website isn't here... it's at www.papajohn.org
Top 25 Poster

Posted: 10 Aug 2008 10:45 PM
I asked Michael from Pixelan about the SPG files. Here's his answer:

The SPG files are resolution-independent code that creates the geometry of an effect or transition in the Wizards. They are much superior to bitmapped gradients, since they render clean at any output size yet also contain the softness/organicness that our effect geometries have been known for for years in other editing systems. It's an exclusive technology of ours.

I use Firefox+Greasemonkey scripts for easier editing of forum posts, FAQs and displaying embedded images Wink
Top 25 Poster

Posted: 10 Aug 2008 10:55 PM
Hi fayfen

I don't know about the Pixelan XML format - I just used the TranJelly LE Wizard and then modified the file names in the XML.

Presumably if you use the wizard to change parameters and study the changes in the XML, you could work out some of the XML details. You could also just try changing some of the numbers to see what effect they have. I'm guessing that the parameters available in the PRO wizard might still be available in the free demo if you know which parts of the XML to modify e.g. changing the centre.

I was mainly interested in what shapes each of the SPG files represented. If they had been simple bitmapped gradient files it would have been easy to see in Windows Explorer thumbnails or with any graphics program. However with the proprietary Pixelan format, I had to actually run them through Movie Maker.

PatrickL is not online. Last active: 12/4/2015 6:48:13 PM PatrickL
pleabo.home.comcast.net
Top 25 Poster
Total Posts: 1305

Posted: 07 Sep 2008 04:20 PM
glow, thanks for these transitions. Nice effort and exploring. Even though free, they will probably drag some more customers for Pixelan. It's a nice package.

Here is a Vista Version. Same install instructions, only on Vista MM 6.0.

PatrickL

DPL Freeware Effects and Transitions for Vista MM Website
Top 25 Poster

Posted: 08 Sep 2008 04:59 AM
Cheers PatrickL
I guess you should post the Vista versions in the Vista forum as well?

PatrickL is not online. Last active: 12/4/2015 6:48:13 PM PatrickL
pleabo.home.comcast.net
Top 25 Poster
Total Posts: 1305

Posted: 08 Sep 2008 02:34 PM
Done. Good idea glow.

I just put a reference to this post in the Vista forum since you have a lot of info and instructions here along with my post and link to the Vista version. Besides, you should get credit for a nice piece of work getting/producing some freeware for the folks.

PatrickL

DPL Freeware Effects and Transitions for Vista MM Website
Top 25 Poster

Posted: 11 Sep 2008 12:17 AM
I've edited the original post to include a link to PatrickL's Vista version and a screenshot to show some of the transition thumbnails.

TheOnePb is not online. Last active: 4/3/2010 8:23:13 AM TheOnePb
youtube.com
Top 50 Poster
Total Posts: 520

Posted: 12 Sep 2008 09:04 AM
Fantastic job, both Glow and Patrick L.!
240 !?! new transitions for freeBig Smile! That should happen more!
Really great stuff, actually all the pixelan SpiceFX 4, butSadmoney. Ghosting is the best ever!
Too bad for the X!

Hint: If you don't like all these effects with an X in your MovieMaker, go to AddOnTFX and backup all the XML's en DLL's named "Pixelan.....".
Watch out: do NOT delete these. If you've installed other (payed) packages, do nothing

TheOnePb

Movie Maker 6.0 on Windows 7 + ShaderTFX, registeredSmiley
http://youtube.com/profile?user=TheOnePb1
av71099 is not online. Last active: 6/12/2010 4:38:52 PM av71099
Top 25 Poster
Total Posts: 2086

Posted: 12 Sep 2008 09:16 AM
Why can't we just uninstall the demo packages? Why back them up?

av71099

Please and Thank You go a long way.Smiley
TheOnePb is not online. Last active: 4/3/2010 8:23:13 AM TheOnePb
youtube.com
Top 50 Poster
Total Posts: 520

Posted: 12 Sep 2008 02:43 PM
I'm not sure if you can only uninstall the demo package without the files needed for the XML. And if someone ever wants to buy there you can better place these back.

That's my opinion...

TheOnePb

Movie Maker 6.0 on Windows 7 + ShaderTFX, registeredSmiley
http://youtube.com/profile?user=TheOnePb1
grandmagail is not online. Last active: 5/30/2009 1:46:54 AM grandmagail
Total Posts: 40

Posted: 31 Mar 2009 03:42 AM
Glow,

I can't get these transitions to work. I installed SpiceFX 4.0 demo and it shows everywhere it is supposed to AddonTFX folder, Program Files, Add/remove programs, but the transitions and effects do not show in wmm2.1. I have winxpsp2. I uninstalled all of it except the tranjelly wizard since it wasn't working anyway, and I installed your program and tranjelly dll and xml. But I can't see the 240 u made either.

Pixelan said it must be a registration or registry program and they gave up helping me figure it out. Do you have any ideas?

Thanks,

Gail

Grandma Gail
Top 25 Poster

Posted: 31 Mar 2009 06:50 AM
G'day Gail

1. Can you get the demo SpiceFX transitions or effects to work at all or is it just my 240 transitions?

2. Can you make transitions with Wizards especially the TranJelly Wizard and get them to show up in WMM?

3. Did you download the XP version of my transitions and not the Vista version by mistake?

4. Anything unusual about your setup? non-English Windows? System drive isn't C: ?

5. Have you got admin access to install the SpiceFX demo?

Posted: 31 Mar 2009 05:49 PM
Hi Glow,
1. No, it is both the demo and your transitions that don't work.

2. The wizards allow me to open a file and use effects and transitions, but when I click on the export button, it doesn't ask me for a file name to save it to and nothing shows up in WMM.

3. Yes, I downloaded the XP version of your transitions.

4. No, there is nothing unusual about my computer setup.

5. Yes, I have admin privileges.

Thanks so much for replying and trying to help.

Gail

Grandma Gail
Top 25 Poster

Posted: 31 Mar 2009 09:21 PM
Hi Gail

Well it seems there's something wrong with the Pixelan installation.
I'm not sure what we can do if even Pixelan support can't figure it out.

1. Did you have a look at the install.log file in C:\Program Files\Pixelan\SpiceFX\UnInstall ?
I guess Pixlean support probably asked you for a copy of it.
Perhaps you could compare it with a good installation?
2. Have you tried installing it again?
3. Do you have another PC you can try it on for comparison?
4. Can you get other WMM add-ons to work e.g. Rehan's PIP+?

neophyte is not online. Last active: 2/25/2017 10:40:56 PM neophyte
neos-world.is-great.org
Top 25 Poster
Forum Moderator
Total Posts: 20126

Posted: 06 Apr 2009 10:29 PM
I followed up on glow's comment about studing the changes in the xml code generated by the wizard to see if I could easily generate a PIP or Split transition (depending on the shape) for all the shapes in his package. His presumption was right-on and there were only a couple of character strings in the WizardData that needed to be changed to do what I wanted. You can download an installer file with my changes to glow's package here.

As with glow's package, you must install the Pixelan SpiceFX 4.0 demo including the Tranjelly LE Wizard before trying to use these transitions. I used the same name as glow for the transitions with the exception that I added a letter "z" to the end of the word TranJelly in the transition name, so that the transitions in my package would appear after and not interspersed with those in glow's package.

I also opted to include all of the shapes in glow's package in mine and didn't try to make any judgements as to the utility of each individual transition (because I knew the more creative minds of other members would come up with uses I couldn't imagine).

I hear and I forget. I see and I remember. I do and I understand. -- Confucius
dickmr is not online. Last active: 5/17/2016 10:12:58 PM dickmr
Top 25 Poster
Total Posts: 3100

Posted: 06 Apr 2009 11:12 PM
Really a cool idea. Here is how I used a few of the shapes as PIP from these 'transjelly' transitions. Lots of ways to use these and many to choose from.
You can use for titles, and also use a 'scale' effect to make a vid/image fit inside a shape. Depending on the location of certain items in a vid they may be in the wrong location...but there are many shapes to experiment with. A lot of surprising results doing this. Solid moving backgrounds look great, and also a duplicate of a clip transitioned on itself will imprint the shape. Check it out. This vid shows just a few of the shapes.

TransjellyShapes
Top 25 Poster

Posted: 06 Apr 2009 11:12 PM
G'day Neo

Actually I did have a few which were PIP - the ones called IrisesPIP.

I like what you've done with the demo videos at the FX archive. Did you automate this or actually make them all by hand?

So does your new contribution mean I lose my lead? Crying

neos-world.is-great.org
Top 25 Poster
Forum Moderator

Posted: 07 Apr 2009 10:02 PM
glow - sorry for not mentioning the IrisesPIP in your set as that was part of what motivated me to see if it could be easily done for the other shapes.

The demo videos in the FX Archive were all made by hand (Nicholas helped me generate a number of the ones for the effects but he's now turned his focus to his iPhone website). I wish I was smart enough to figure out a way to automate the process!

FYI, you're lead is safe as I intend to list both of us as the creators for the set I posted.

dickmr - another great job and video demonstrating what can be done with Novie Maker; there were definitely a couple of transitions that you used very effectively, whose use in that manner I would never have imagined.

Posted: 13 Apr 2009 06:21 PM
Glow,

Thank you so much for all your helpful suggestions. I finally downloaded the demo on my daughter's laptop, which worked fine. So I did a comparison as you suggested. Everything was the same regarding files and placement. However, when I checked the registry, my computer was missing some of the keys that were shown on the other computer. I added them and now all the transitions and effects show in MM, including yours! (Yours are what I really wanted). I am a little afraid of uninstalling the demo and just keeping the tranjelly wizard. I hope your transitions are still there!

Thank you again for your help. I really appreciate it.

Gail

Grandma Gail
Top 25 Poster

Posted: 13 Apr 2009 10:00 PM
Glad you got it to work Gail.
I didn't uninstall the Pixelan demo either.
However to avoid having the demo transitions cluttering my transitions and effects, I created a subfolder "Pixelan archive" under AddOnTFX and moved all the Pixlean dll and xml files there.

Posted: 13 Apr 2009 10:35 PM
Great idea, Glow!

I'll try that. Can't wait to use your transitions. Great work!

Gail

Grandma Gail
neos-world.is-great.org
Top 25 Poster
Forum Moderator

Posted: 25 Apr 2009 09:59 PM
Thanks to the support and assistance of Michael at Pixelan Software and through "reverse engineering" of the output from the TranJelly LE wizards, I was able to determine the modifications of glow's and PatrickL's xml files that are necessary to generate new custom xml files for each of the other 159 possible combinations of bevel style, depth and transition timing included in the TranJelly LE wizard.

To faciltate the process of generating the associated xml code, I developed an online wizard that generates the necessary xml code based on the user's specific selection of operating system, bevel style, depth and timing. You can find that wizard on this page in the FX Archive.

Also, feedback from Pixelan Software indicated that the 33 IrisesAFX and IrisesPIP shapes included in glow's original xml file duplicated some of the other shapes but had some AccentFx and PerfectPIP related changes applied which may cause them to not work correctly in TranJelly. Thus, I opted to not include those shapes in the xml generated by the online wizard.

PapaJohn is not online. Last active: 2/23/2015 2:43:58 PM PapaJohn
www.papajohn.org
Top 25 Poster
Forum Moderator
Total Posts: 13291

Posted: 25 Apr 2009 11:18 PM
Great work neo...

... my website isn't here... it's at www.papajohn.org
Previous Thread :: Next Thread 
Page 1 of 3Goto to page: [1], 2, 3 Next

Movie Maker Forums  > Movie Maker Users Showcase  > Share Your XP Transitions and Effects!!  > 240 Tranjelly transition shapes for the free Pixelan SpiceFX 4 demo