[Lights, Camera, Action]

Home    Forums    Tutorials    Search    Books    Links 

Windows Movie Maker tips, tutorials, forums and more...

Windows Movie Maker Home   Search   Login   Register   Member List  
Movie Maker Users Showcase  > Share Your XP Transitions and Effects!!  > Need a widescreen stretch effect    
Previous Thread :: Next Thread 
 Author Thread: Need a widescreen stretch effect
sugar_babygirli is not online. Last active: 3/11/2010 5:12:58 PM sugar_babygirli
Total Posts: 215

Need a widescreen stretch effect
Posted: 25 Jul 2008 10:50 AM
Phew it's been so long since being on this forum! I'm still into movie making though and am working on a project right now.

I have a problem. Well, I've found a solution but it just takes forever. Ok, if I insert some clips from a widescreen movie that was made (for example let's just say Batman), comparing those widescreen clips to the clips I create myself from my video camera, the widescreen ratios aren't the same.

What I mean is the professional widescreen clips have more of a black bar on the top and bottom compared to my clips, when inserted in movie maker, they go all the way to the top of the video preview screen. Does this make sense? So what I have to do is take a picture of each frame, from the professional movie, import it to photoshop, and apply an action that stretches it to match the ratio of my clips.

Surely there must be a stretch effect? I've tried a few I have, but none of them remove the black bar from the professional clip.

Tell me any of this makes sense? If not, I'll take a screenshot of what I mean. Thanks!
neophyte is not online. Last active: 10/18/2017 9:32:38 AM neophyte
neos-world.is-great.org
Top 25 Poster
Forum Moderator
Total Posts: 20178

Re: Need a widescreen stretch effect
Posted: 25 Jul 2008 11:17 AM
What's the resolution of the widescreen clips (e.g., Batman) that you're using and of those that you created? If you're not sure, run the clips in a program such as MediaInfo to get that info. What aspect ratio and video format do you have selected in Movie Maker and what version of Movie Maker do you have?

BTW, nice to have you back in the forums.

I hear and I forget. I see and I remember. I do and I understand. -- Confucius
sugar_babygirli is not online. Last active: 3/11/2010 5:12:58 PM sugar_babygirli

Posted: 26 Jul 2008 08:49 AM
^Thank you neophyte! I always miss everyone here when I'm gone.

The dimensions for the professional widescreen movie clips are: 720x480
The dimensions for my own video clips from the camera appear to be: 780x442

So I can see why the ratios are screwed up, but that's why I was hoping to get an effect that would be able to match the ratio of the professional clip to the size of my video camera's clips.

Here is an example of what I mean: http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b400/sugar_babygirli/example.jpg (ignore the fact the photo is stretched....it's just to show an example)

See how the top one has black bars on top and bottom, and the bottom photo the image covers the whole screen with only a tiny black bar on top and bottom?
neos-world.is-great.org
Top 25 Poster
Forum Moderator

Posted: 26 Jul 2008 11:00 AM
Given they're two different aspect ratios, one way to eliminate the black bars (or to make them smaller) without distorting the image is to do a fixed zoom in (using a custom xml file) on the 780x442 clip (I'm assuming you want your final video to be 720x480).

Posted: 27 Jul 2008 01:20 PM
Hmm...yeah, I did think of that, but then it cuts off part of the picture since it zooms in quite a bit.
neos-world.is-great.org
Top 25 Poster
Forum Moderator

Posted: 27 Jul 2008 03:47 PM
If you don't want the black bars and don't want any distortion of your video, then the only way I know to do that is to crop one or both videos so that they have the same aspect ratio.

If you don't want to crop your videos, then the options I'm aware of would involve accepting the black bars or some distortion of your video.

Posted: 28 Jul 2008 11:14 AM
^I don't mind distortion. If I could just find an effect to stretch it like I said, it would save me from having to take a picture of each frame, importing to photoshop, and having to stretch manually.

The distortion isn't too bad, so it doesn't bother me.

EDIT: Omg I just took a look at your website neo. I am amazed how well all the FX archive is categorized. SO SO nice. Must have been tons of time and work.
neos-world.is-great.org
Top 25 Poster
Forum Moderator

Posted: 28 Jul 2008 11:42 AM
Am I right in assuming you want to change the 780x442 video to 720x480?

FYI, there are a number of programs (e.g., Irfanview) that support the batch resizing of images. I don't have Photoshop; but, I'm a little surprised it doesn't do that.

Thanks for the kind words about the FX Archive. You're right about it being a lot of work and we stil have a lot more to do to add the remaining transitions and tiles plus the Vista items. Fortunately, Nick (aka Nicholas) is a co-creator of the site and has shared the workload.

Posted: 28 Jul 2008 05:05 PM
Well, what my main goal is is to get rid of those black bars, then it would fit properly.

Photoshop does do batch commands to resize it the way I want. That isn't the problem, it's having to manually take a picture in MM of every single frame (and sometimes I have upwards of 50+, so it gets time consuming, not to mention it reduces the quality. What I was hoping for was an effect to overlay over the entire clip where it needs to be so it would save me from all this work.

It appears at this point there is no way, so I don't want to waste any more of your time. Just thought I would ask if there was already a fix out there that someone made. :)
Rehan is not online. Last active: 5/8/2012 5:49:17 PM Rehan
www.rehanfx.org
Top 25 Poster
Total Posts: 2176

Posted: 28 Jul 2008 06:05 PM
If I understand it correctly you want to stretch the widescreen back to Fullscreen. If this is right then use these effects made by Blaine: view post 140056. You need the effect "Stretch to Fullscreen" which is part of Blaines package.

www.rehanfx.org - do more with Windows Movie Maker...
rehanfx.x10hosting.com - mirror site
neos-world.is-great.org
Top 25 Poster
Forum Moderator

Posted: 28 Jul 2008 09:33 PM
Rehan - is there a similar set for XP?

sugar_babygirli - there are a number of programs that will extract all the frames in a video. VirtualDub is a free one that does it, but you would need to convert your file to avi format first. Post back if you want more detailed instructions on this.

Posted: 29 Jul 2008 08:35 AM
EDIT: Here is a sample video to show you what I mean again. First clip is the original (from a professional video just to show you) The second clip I had to take a picture from preview, and import to photoshop to apply an action to stretch it the dimensions needed. Pay close attention to the black bars on the first clip at top and bottom. Second clip you will see has been stretched to fit the timeline window exactly. Hope this explains betterSmiley:)

http://s23.photobucket.com/albums/b400/sugar_babygirli/?action=view&current=stretchedtofiteffect.flv

EDIT #2: Rehan, actually the squash to fullscreen *might* work, but it would have to be made for XP as I have no Vista. I can't tell if it would be right or not though.

Ahhh this is so frustrating to try and explain what I mean, but thank you both for trying to help. I do appreciate it, I just cannot explain what I am wanting clear enough.

Rehan: My clip isn't fullscreen, it's widescreen....it just doesn't have black bars at the top like professional widescreen clips. I am trying to get rid of those black bars and stretch the clip up and downwards to fit the other clip. I tried the effect you talked about and it isn't right. I have pretty much every effect that's been posted on this forum downloaded and tried them all to no avail.

neo: The problem with Virtual Dub is it won't help me to have a program to extract all the frames. I need only the ones that will be in the timeline....see I cut the bad footage out and put the good footage in the timeline. THAT is what I need to edit, no sense wasting time with all the other that I don't need, plus I count how many frames in it is and such, and it will mess me up to have 150 unusable frames to sort through rather than just the 30 that I need.

Did that make any sense? Anyways, I don't want to waste anymore of anyone's time, because I have a feeling there isn't a simple effect to overlay on just the part I need it to be without using a different program etc. *sigh* It's a shame. It wouldn't be hard to make, I just don't know how to do xml stuff myself.
Rehan is not online. Last active: 5/8/2012 5:49:17 PM Rehan
www.rehanfx.org
Top 25 Poster
Total Posts: 2176

Posted: 29 Jul 2008 09:07 AM
Neo, on XP one can use PipPlus to stretch and shrink the frames.

<TransitionsAndEffects Version="1.0" >
<Effects>
<EffectDLL guid="{0BEDE179-3361-4eea-9058-11CBB1739D50}">
<Effect name="PIP+ Stretch Y" iconid="34">
<Param name="RectA" value=" 0.0, 0.0,-0.165, 1.0,1.333;" />
</Effect>
<Effect name="PIP+ Shrink Y" iconid="33">
<Param name="RectA" value=" 0.0, 0.0, 0.125, 1.0,0.75;" />
</Effect>
<Effect name="PIP+ Stretch X" iconid="34">
<Param name="RectA" value=" 0.0, -0.165,0.0, 1.333,1.0;" />
</Effect>
<Effect name="PIP+ Shrink X" iconid="33">
<Param name="RectA" value=" 0.0, 0.125,0.0, 0.75,1.0;" />
</Effect>
</EffectDLL>
</Effects>
</TransitionsAndEffects>

Sugar, The "PIP+ Stretch Y" from above set should fix your original clip.

www.rehanfx.org - do more with Windows Movie Maker...
rehanfx.x10hosting.com - mirror site

Posted: 29 Jul 2008 09:10 AM
^What if I don't have PipPlus? Is that something I have to purchase?

I'll try that code now :)

EDIT: OH MY GOSH I LOVE YOU FOREVER!!!!!!!! Lol! Oh my goodness I can't believe it. That WORKS perfectly!! I never ever would have found that on my own. Ok, seriously, this will save so much time and you don't know how much I appreciate all the help and time from both of you. This is EXACTLY what I needed and now I will be singing praises of this forum all day long! :P

wOOt! *does a happy dance*
neos-world.is-great.org
Top 25 Poster
Forum Moderator

Posted: 29 Jul 2008 10:15 AM
Rehan - thanks; I'll add these to the FX Archive when we do the next update of the XP effects.

sugar_babygirli - FYI, VirtualDub allows you to extract the frames from just a portion of a clip. I also forgot to mention it allows you to resize a video.

Previous Thread :: Next Thread 
Page 1 of 1

Movie Maker Forums  > Movie Maker Users Showcase  > Share Your XP Transitions and Effects!!  > Need a widescreen stretch effect