[Lights, Camera, Action]

Home    Forums    Tutorials    Search    Books    Links 

Windows Movie Maker tips, tutorials, forums and more...

Windows Movie Maker Home   Search   Login   Register   Member List  
Windows Movie Maker  > Getting Started with Windows Movie Maker  > Rotate frames within Moviemaker?    
Previous Thread :: Next Thread 
 Author Thread: Rotate frames within Moviemaker?
geoff is not online. Last active: 5/26/2005 4:03:27 AM geoff
Total Posts: 8

Rotate frames within Moviemaker?
Posted: 25 Apr 2005 02:13 AM
Unfortunately when capturing our holiday on camcorder I rotated the camera to shoot "landscape" and "portrait" shots ... just like using an SLR ... sadly, I did not know that this won't work with a camcorder.

Consequently, I have a holiday video which shows footage rotated correctly, and footage which is rotated at 90 degrees!

When I capture this video to my PC via Moviemaker can I select the necessary frames and rotate them to playback correctly before I burn it back to DVD?

Any help will be much appreciated ... maybe I have to purchase further software ......
Someone please help!

regards, Geoff
Timwerx is not online. Last active: 7/20/2009 2:41:29 AM Timwerx
www.timwerx.net
Top 50 Poster
Total Posts: 845

Re: Rotate frames within Moviemaker?
Posted: 25 Apr 2005 07:33 AM
If you peek at Movie Maker's Video Effects you will find "Rotate 90 Degrees," as well as rotation effects for 180 and 270 degrees. After capturing, cut these "rotated" segments, add the relevant rotation effect, and your problem should (I said "should") be solved. Hope that works for you. Give it a try.

For DVD you will need DVD authoring software. MM doesn't do DVD.

Good luck.
Rehan is not online. Last active: 5/8/2012 5:49:17 PM Rehan
www.rehanfx.org
Top 25 Poster
Total Posts: 2176

Posted: 26 Apr 2005 07:27 AM
The built in rotate 90 and 270 produce a squashed image. You can try my custom rotate effects which try to keep the aspect ratio:

<TransitionsAndEffects Version="1.0" >
<Effects>
<EffectDLL guid="{B4DC8DD9-2CC1-4081-9B2B-20D7030234EF}">
<Effect name="Rotate Right" iconid="24" >
<Param name="InternalName" value="Simple3D" />
<Param name="RotateA" value="right" />
<Param name="Progress" value="0.25" />
</Effect>
<Effect name="Rotate Left" iconid="23" >
<Param name="RotateA" value="left" />
</Effect>
<Effect name="Rotate Right Fit" iconid="24" >
<Param name="RotateA" value="right" />
<Param name="ScaleA" value="0.75" />
<Param name="InitialScaleA" value="0.75" />
</Effect>
<Effect name="Rotate Left Fit" iconid="23" >
<Param name="RotateA" value="left" />
<Param name="ScaleA" value="0.75" />
<Param name="InitialScaleA" value="0.75" />
</Effect>
</EffectDLL>
</Effects>
</TransitionsAndEffects>

Copy paste into notepad and save as rotate.xml in folder C:\Program Files\Movie Maker\Shared\AddOnTFX. Create the folder (AddOnTFX ) if not present. Restart WMM.

www.rehanfx.org - do more with Windows Movie Maker...
rehanfx.x10hosting.com - mirror site
AmateurPr0nDirector is not online. Last active: 10/19/2006 1:14:58 AM AmateurPr0nDirector
Total Posts: 9

Posted: 06 Sep 2006 05:42 PM
"try" to keep the same ratio?

why can't they always do it? it's math, it's definitive. I just installed your effect and it made the images even wider. I edited the "progress" value=0.25" to "progress" value=.05" to see what impact that had but that was for the rotation. just looking at it, I can't tell what makes the image wider. hmm maybe it has something to do with this "initialscale"... keep in mind, i am doing this to 16:9 ratio film.

thanks for your help thus far. just a little more tweaking and everythiung will be aight.
www.rehanfx.org
Top 25 Poster

Posted: 06 Sep 2006 05:54 PM
The reason it is not the same is because Movie Maker (or the underlying codec) treats different soruce media differently. For pictures and WMV files the above effects should always succeed. For AVI file it depends on the codecs used...

Nevertheless there is hope. Custom Titles and PIP Plus can be used to fine tune the aspect ratio of any distorted frame. Can you post a 3-5sec clip that is causing the issue ?

AmateurPr0nDirector is not online. Last active: 10/19/2006 1:14:58 AM AmateurPr0nDirector

Posted: 06 Sep 2006 07:51 PM
the file's are all... it says "video clip" and they are frig.. it doesn't say. i'm pretty sure it's avi. it's high quality digital video. i can't look up the file extension... wow do i ever suck with this stuff.

okay i'm gonna upload a short clip as requested. it starts off "rotated 90'" with movie maker, and then switches back to normal (as the camera was turned). You can see at first it is visably sideways, but it is stretched outwards slightly. then when back to normal it is a good clear 16:9 image.

if i can't upload here, i'll repost with a link to smoewhere else.

Posted: 06 Sep 2006 07:59 PM
Oh fantastic.. this crappy "fliqz" place i posted on doesn't take 16:9 so it reverts it back to 4:3

oh well, here's what we're working with

http://www.fliqz.com/FliqzWebPublic/Dynamic/Player.htm?un=AmateurPr0nDirector

but you said that the neccessary coding is on your site? dude, i so no reference to changing the shape of clips by altering xml's.
considerate_guy is not online. Last active: 8/20/2014 6:29:03 PM considerate_guy
movies.blainesville.com
Top 25 Poster
Forum Moderator
Total Posts: 23969

Posted: 06 Sep 2006 08:52 PM
Fliqz is still working on 16:9 support. Putfile will do it, but you have to click on 'Original' aspect ratio.

The PIP+ Plug-in is on Rehan's site...

Blaine
Movie Maker (Custom Titles, Effects. etc.)Cool
WMM 6.0 on Windows 7 or 8
YouTube videos

Posted: 06 Sep 2006 09:55 PM
Hello Rehan and Considerate guy, I'm still looking. I don't see anything on rehan's site that says "this is how you change the size of the film". I downloaded PIP+ and went through all the static and transitional effects and none of them are about changing the shape or size of the image. i also tried with the PIPplus static PIP transitionspack, and then all the user made packs or xml's i could get. still nothing seemed to be pointing in the right direction.

I guess i'm just missing the point with "custom titles and pip plus can be used to fine tune the aspect ratio of any distorted frame" if i knew which xml or whatever to alter, then that'd be a good start.

know what i mean?
www.rehanfx.org
Top 25 Poster

Posted: 07 Sep 2006 01:20 PM
Hi

I did not say that necessary coding is on my site. It needs to be done by you me or somebodyelse using my plugin or custom titles. But this requires being able to examine the problematic video file. Perhaps you can send a short clip via www.yousendit.com. It is important to get the original clip rather than a converted one.

www.rehanfx.org
Top 25 Poster

Posted: 07 Sep 2006 04:40 PM
OK, I received your file. it is an MPEG1 file. MPEG (1 or 2) files dont work properly with movie maker. Its best to convert them to WMV or Uncompressed AVI before editing.

Nevertheless the clip you sent does get rotated properly (even without any conversion) with the aspect ratio preserved using my "Rotate Right" and "Rotate Right Fit" effects as posted above. So what is the problem again?

And by the way it is not 16:9, so dont use that setting in movie maker. Use 4:3.

Posted: 07 Sep 2006 10:37 PM
I realized the clip I sent you may have been in mpeg, but it was accidentally extracted that way from an AVI 30 Mbps video... which may very well be this uncompressed avi you speak of, and that's what i've been workign with all this time.

as well, can you get better quality than 2Mbps with WMV? this is going to be made into DVD and I want it to retain good definition.

Secondly, can you convert AVI to WMV? I have dloaded 2 converters that advertised it as the feature (Blaze Media Pro, and AVI MPEG Video Converter) and both get errors and will not convert. this is madness I tell you, madness.
However, I then opened the AVI in winmovmaker, and then saved the movie file as a wmv high quality. that worked

Now on with some more experimentation and trouble shooting with my clips:

WMV - when WinMovMaker is in 16:9, and you apply ROTATE RIGHT FIT, the image looks squashed. But when in 4:3 is set on WinMOvMaker, it looks correct, nice and narrow and thin.

AVI - when WinMovMaker is in 16:9 and you apply ROTATE RIGHT FIT, it is again squished. when set to 4:3 and ROTATE RIGHT IS APPLIED, it is less squished but still not correct.

What I would have to do is choose the clips i wish to rotate and maintain ratio, export them as avi, convert them to wmv, rotate right fit them in windows movie maker while it is set to 4:3, then somehow keep that when i import them into a movie that is 16:9. this does not sound like it will work.

Not only that, but it is a different ratio than what i shot in which is why you stated i WASN'T in 16:9 and should stop working in that ratio (wait, it is 16:9, it's just that the black bars were added so it would fit 4:3, strange). Somehow, someway, it was altered during the making of the clip or the converting of it. So now I can safely say, niether the WMV or the AVI look correct when "rotate right fit" is applied to them, unless they are extracted from 16:9 WITH the bars, and then played in 4:3 and then rotated right and fitted. THAT is how the wmv and the mpg of the big breasted girl clips worked out right (using windvd creator to cut the clip out of the original, then save as a movie file - where i accidentally saved it as an mpg instead of it's original avi). only this one individual clip looks correct when the video effect is put on. wow what a head ache.

What i'll do is take screenshots, zip them and email them to you because then you'll see what I'm talking about. this is ludicrous. But thanks so much for your help.

as well, isn't there simply a line of code i can put in somewhere that says "compress axis X - x being width - .70 or 30%" or something along that lines? like an alteration to your rotate right fit, a value somewhere that i can play with until the ratio looks correct?

wow.. i have no luck.. you can not take a screen shot of your desktop and hope to capture video even if it's paused. that sucks. I'll have to take image snapshots with Winmovmaker, title them, and send them like that.

wow, that took forever organizing and categorizing those pics, i hope it helps you help me. as well, i verified the ratio, it is indeed 16:9, the rotate pics that looked right to me physiologically - when looking at the people - were 5.5:3.2 and the shooting we did which i know to be right was 7.5:4.3 which are both very near to 16:9 due to error of estimation

Posted: 07 Sep 2006 11:26 PM
*sigh*

i thought i was on to something... i solved the problem with the degradation in quality of using WMV... I used WinDVD and saved the clip as a high def AVI, and it saved it with the bars, which is part of the equasion.

The unfortunate thing is, my rotation problem while in 16:9, the rotated images are still a little to wide, but the 4:3 stuff is PERFECT.

However, I doubt you can code a DVD movie to play 16:9 for the majority, and occassionally switch back to 4:3 because the TV would not know to switch back and forth.

This sucks.

and a correction to my zip file, Rehan, files 25 and 26, are also too wide, they are not how it should look
mr_mouse is not online. Last active: 7/7/2007 10:11:04 PM mr_mouse
Total Posts: 2

Posted: 06 Jul 2007 09:56 PM
After following the directions above, several of my .avi's play upside down now. For the likfe of me, I don't know what I could of done. If you know a way I can fix this for a Dell XPS plz let me know. It's only affected about half the avi's and the new ones that I download. thx for reading
considerate_guy is not online. Last active: 8/20/2014 6:29:03 PM considerate_guy
movies.blainesville.com
Top 25 Poster
Forum Moderator

Posted: 06 Jul 2007 10:21 PM
I think it must be unrelated. Have you read the following Microsoft KB #269967?

Blaine
YouTube videos
mr_mouse is not online. Last active: 7/7/2007 10:11:04 PM mr_mouse
Total Posts: 2

Posted: 06 Jul 2007 10:23 PM
Sorry, I think I just fixed my problem. I just had to reinstall my divx codec and all my videos are right side up, once again. and had nothing to do with your codeSmiley
lauerm is not online. Last active: 6/29/2008 11:26:40 AM lauerm
Total Posts: 1

Fabulous Custom Code
Posted: 29 Jun 2008 11:26 AM
Thank you for sharing - this worked great!!
sascha is not online. Last active: 7/25/2008 6:14:48 AM sascha

Posted: 24 Jul 2008 08:57 AM
hi, I tried this xml doc and it doesn't seem to help..
is there anything else I need to do once it is in place, and I re-start the program?
I have added xml docs before and so I am fairly certain that I have done that correctly.
also there is a definite loss of quality when I rotate the video.
can someone help with this?
if keeping the quality/aspect ratio is beyond the capability of WMM, can someone suggest a software (free or fairly cheap) that can do so?
thanks so much!
Sascha
dj928 is not online. Last active: 1/21/2010 11:08:42 AM dj928

Posted: 21 Jan 2010 10:00 AM
Hello, I just want to rotate my 3GP movies 90 degrees, nothing else. I was told to use a converter to convert to AVI, then find a program to rotate, like move maker. Before I do all this, I want to confirm it will work well and maintain aspect ratio. Or if someone knows an easier way to do this, please let me know. Thanks.
movies.blainesville.com
Top 25 Poster
Forum Moderator

Posted: 02 May 2013 12:19 PM
I know this thread is old, but if anyone is looking for a good solution for rotating video, I would look at Freemake Video Converter. You can pick a file, choose the rotation direction and then the new file format (or same as original, if you like). Then press the 'Convert' button.

The result is a rotated file with the right dimensions.

Blaine
YouTube videos
Previous Thread :: Next Thread 
Page 1 of 1

Movie Maker Forums  > Windows Movie Maker  > Getting Started with Windows Movie Maker  > Rotate frames within Moviemaker?