[Lights, Camera, Action]

Home    Forums    Tutorials    Search    Books    Links 

Windows Movie Maker tips, tutorials, forums and more...

Windows Movie Maker Home   Search   Login   Register   Member List  
Windows Movie Maker  > Transitions, Effects and Titles  > Re: How to blur only a selected area?    
Previous Thread :: Next Thread 
 Author Thread: How to blur only a selected area?
TheGildedStar is not online. Last active: 9/30/2007 7:02:00 AM TheGildedStar
Total Posts: 3

How to blur only a selected area?
Posted: 24 Sep 2007 06:21 AM
Ok, I'm making a video of a computer game. I need to know a way of how to block out my username so other players can't see it to avoid unwanted attention >.>

Anyways, how do I blur a selected area without bluring the whole screen? I've been trying to find this out for a long time. If you know how, help me out, thanks.
fishycomics is not online. Last active: 8/3/2016 1:46:49 PM fishycomics
Top 25 Poster
Total Posts: 7305

Re: How to blur only a selected area?
Posted: 24 Sep 2007 06:49 AM
what part and where?

you need an xml and a overlay pic? do you know what that is before you go the next step?

ALL YOUR XMLS IN THIS LINK===> tranistions and effects in alphabetical order <===All your XMLS IN THIS LINK!

thank you in advance If I never say
Top 25 Poster

Posted: 24 Sep 2007 06:52 AM
you need a picture that is transparant and just that section blacked out? you name it overlay as a .png file.

c/p to the addontfx and you are set?

the only thing you need now is that picture

<TransitionsAndEffects Version="1.0">
<Titles>
<TitleDLL guid="{353359C1-39E1-491b-9951-464FD8AB071C}">

<Title name="white edged border" iconid="13">
<Param name="InternalName" value="TitleStandard"/>
<Param name="Description" value="alloverlay"/>
<Param name="OptimalDurationMultiplier" value="1.0"/>
<Param name="LogoBitmapFilename" value="AddOnTFX\overlay.png"/>
<Param name="LogoRect" value="0.0 0.0 1.0 1.0"/>
<Param name="FrontColor1" value="Black"/>
<Paragraph>
<Param name="EntranceDuration" value="1.0"/>
<Param name="ExitDuration" value="1.0"/>
<Param name="EntranceZoom" value="1.0 1.0"/>
<Param name="MainZoom" value="1.0 1.0"/>
<Param name="ExitZoom" value="1.0 1.0"/>
<Param name="EntranceEffect" value="EffectNone"/>
<Param name="ExitEffect" value="EffectNone"/>
<Param name="IsOneLine" value="False"/>
<Param name="MaxCharacterCount" value="80"/>
</Paragraph>
</Title>

</TitleDLL>
</Titles>
</TransitionsAndEffects>

ALL YOUR XMLS IN THIS LINK===> tranistions and effects in alphabetical order <===All your XMLS IN THIS LINK!

Posted: 24 Sep 2007 07:03 AM
Not necessarily a picture, I just want to have some areas of the screen blured out through the entire video. I just need basically one solid block of bluriness in a certain area to block out the part of the screen where the names show.
Top 25 Poster

Posted: 24 Sep 2007 07:54 AM
you missunderstood?

1 photo program make transparant 800x600 then at the designated area, you're afraid to say , and said bottom you erase or draw over, till a perfect pic is done
that is it name it overlay and fin

use the letterbox xml and png it may just cover it

Posted: 24 Sep 2007 08:40 AM
Ummm...I really have no idea what you're talking about lol. I'm kind of new to WMM and it seems like you're speaking a different language >.>
Top 25 Poster

Posted: 24 Sep 2007 08:59 AM
baby steps

you know how to use the XMl? in wmm? yes-no? watch and learn

http://www.metacafe.com/watch/806504/how_o_add_an_xml_to_wmm_add_ontfx_folder_and_use_wmm/

PippasGhost is not online. Last active: 12/21/2011 10:36:12 AM PippasGhost
Top 50 Poster
Total Posts: 846

Posted: 24 Sep 2007 09:55 AM
Hi GildedStar.

Fishy is speaking a different language. Or at least English isn't his first language, so he often has trouble understanding other people and making himself understood. Still, I'm sure his English is still better than my whatever-his-native-language-is. :)

I'd ignore his suggestion anyway. (It seems like he thought you wanted to add a logo or ugly blob on top of your username to hide it.) Here's one way to blur just part of your picture....

In your favourite Paint program, create a .PNG image that corresponds to the size and shape of your video screen. It should be all white except for a black blob that represents the area you want blurred. Save it in the "C:\Program Files\Movie Maker\Shared\AddOnTFX" folder as MyMask.png (BTW: if you haven't already got a folder called C:\Program Files\Movie Maker\Shared\AddOnTFX then you'll have to create one.)

Now type the following code into Notepad and save it in that same AddOnTFX folder as MyMaskSplit.xml and make sure you have the "All Files" option when you save it.

<Transitions>
<TransitionDLL guid="{DE75D012-7A65-11D2-8CEA-00A0C9441E20}">
<Transition name="SPLIT: using My Mask" iconid="66" comments="by Pippa's Ghost">
<Param name="MaskName" value="C:\Program Files\Movie Maker\Shared\AddOnTFX\MyMask.png" />
<Param name="BorderSoftness" value="50" />
<Param name="Progress" value="0.5"/>
</Transition>
</TransitionDLL>
</Transitions>
</TransitionsAndEffects>

NOTE: The above code assumes you're using XP. I don't know the code for Vista, sorry. In fact, I don't really understand the code for XP. But I do know that by changing the .PNG filename in that code, you can create your own different custom split screens. (Or by removing the "Progress" line, you can create your own different custom transitions.) That's about the absolute limit of my XML knowledge.

Anyway, once you've done that, start up Movie Maker, and add two copies of your clip to the storyboard. In Timeline view, zoom in as much as possible. Then trim the tiniest possible fraction of a second off the end of the first clip, and the start of the second clip.

Add multiple Blur effects to the second clip, until it's blurry enough for you. Or better still, multiple Watercolor effects instead, since Blur shrinks the picture size a little bit. (You don't normally notice it, but it kind of becomes obvious when you see it in a split screen.)

Now drag the second clip onto the first so they overlap as much as possible. (You won't be able to get them to overlap completely. There will always by be a tiny fraction of a second difference, but the trimming you did earlier should help compensate for that and keep the clips in sync.)

Nearly done. (Thank goodness!) Just change the transition from "Fade" to your new custom Split screen, and that should do it. Ta-da!!! The area you marked as black in your MyMask.png file (remember that?) should now be blurred.

Note: one ugly side effect of this technique is that the video ends with a completely blurred frame. If you don't like that, just add a Fade Out To Black effect on the both clips to hide it.

Pippa's Ghost
Top 50 Poster

Posted: 24 Sep 2007 12:04 PM
Oops! I KNEW there was something I forgot.

You have to mute the second clip (the blurry one) or else you get an annoying echo.

I probably forgot lots of other things too, but at least you've got enough to be going on with for now. Any XML experts want to comment...?

Pippa's Ghost
Top 25 Poster

Posted: 24 Sep 2007 02:14 PM
overlay image
Pippaasghost:
It takes a lotto Offend me?, justwatch out when you take a shower, theschools gonna let out early just for you?

So Since school is out, I'll teach third grade to you?

Answer yes move on to the next question, answer no come back we'll help you out?

1. do you know what this is? Yes-no?
2. Do you know how to use it? yes no?
now all kidding aside!

If you go to start-accessories-notepad and open it?

select the code WE gave you, and paiste into notepad

save in ADDONTFX, where is that loccated? in the my puter-c derive-prg files-moviemaker-shared... If not there right click new and name "ADDonTFX"

so far you follow ?

now download the Image I made and what is the name? OVERLAY copy it and paist to "ADDONTFX"

now before you jump for joy, go to the addontfx and double click, if it opens wit h the code and not a page eror your set...

goodluck and enjoy?

Is this FISH TALK TO YOU?

<Transitions>
<TransitionDLL guid="{DE75D012-7A65-11D2-8CEA-00A0C9441E20}">
<Transition name="SPLIT: lower censor bar" iconid="66" comments="masking">
<Param name="MaskName" value="C:\Program Files\Movie Maker\Shared\AddOnTFX\overlayk.png" />
<Param name="BorderSoftness" value="50" />
<Param name="Progress" value="0.5"/>
</Transition>
</TransitionDLL>
</Transitions>
</TransitionsAndEffects>

Top 25 Poster

Posted: 24 Sep 2007 02:29 PM
Well hope this also helps out ifyou cannot figure out how to o it? download the file and paiste into the Adontfx

file
this only takne a few minutes hopes it helps you

Top 50 Poster

Posted: 24 Sep 2007 04:14 PM
Hi Fishy,

I didn't mean to offend you. I'm sorry. It's just that sometimes your quirky writing style can get a bit confusing. That's all.

Pippa's Ghost
Top 25 Poster

Posted: 24 Sep 2007 04:21 PM
never did I say you offended. try your hardest? LMAO
I totally agree i can be like good-n-plenty ?

Previous Thread :: Next Thread 
Goto to page:  Prev Next

Movie Maker Forums  > Windows Movie Maker  > Transitions, Effects and Titles  > Re: How to blur only a selected area?