[Lights, Camera, Action]

Home    Forums    Tutorials    Search    Books    Links 

Windows Movie Maker tips, tutorials, forums and more...

Windows Movie Maker Home   Search   Login   Register   Member List  
Windows Movie Maker  > Transitions, Effects and Titles  > Re: Ease in and out effect    
Previous Thread :: Next Thread 
 Author Thread: Ease in and out effect
TheDoctor is not online. Last active: 6/23/2017 6:46:43 PM TheDoctor
Top 25 Poster
Total Posts: 2199

Ease in and out effect
Posted: 21 Jan 2006 01:28 AM
I was asking about this effect in another thread but I thought it best to transfer it here

The issue is that when I capture analog tapes using pass-thru there are edge effects [black on one side, flicker at bottom] so I tried the ease in/out effects in MM2 to simply "zoom in" and get rid of the edge effects and give a clean edge on all sides.

The reason I was having problems is the two are juxtapositioned, ie if I go to effects icons and pick ease IN [which is what I want] I can first confirm that it IS what I want by clicking start and we zoom IN on the Microsoft Hill

But if I then elect that for my movie it zooms OUT

so I then tried zoom OUT as my choice and it zoomed IN

so I have solved my own problem but I thought I would report the anomoly to save others pulling their hair out

My New APP
PapaJohn is not online. Last active: 2/23/2015 2:43:58 PM PapaJohn
www.papajohn.org
Top 25 Poster
Forum Moderator
Total Posts: 13291

Re: Ease in and out effect
Posted: 21 Jan 2006 02:26 AM
I've noticed that too..... also in the animated titling for some of the descriptions versus what you see and think... I thought it might just be me needing re-calibration. Good to have company.

... my website isn't here... it's at www.papajohn.org
Top 25 Poster

Posted: 21 Jan 2006 03:15 AM
No PJ, dont adjust your TV the fault is in the program [albeit its not really a fault but just wrong tag]

But theres more mystery - I just made a 10 minute movie at 1.5Mbps from a DV AVI [with no clips] and in the last minute the ease in/out [whatever you call it] appears to "wear off", like an asprin after an hour or so

so I tried to do a split at point it wears off and that automatically rejuninates the effect and the nasty edges dissappear again - once again it is not really a problem but just a matter of knowing how to fix it

My New APP
www.papajohn.org
Top 25 Poster
Forum Moderator

Posted: 21 Jan 2006 03:19 AM
I use VirtualDub to crop and resize the video file when I want to remove them... or accept them as 'analog artifacts'... depending on how important they are to the project.

fishycomics is not online. Last active: 8/3/2016 1:46:49 PM fishycomics
Top 25 Poster
Total Posts: 7305

Posted: 21 Jan 2006 07:00 AM
upload Pj pkg and delete his pics some are great some are fair. go to paint , photshop ,etc
grab a black background. cut out the whole center to you have a nice Boarder. and com postion a and b it in you'll get rid of the defect you have.

I bet there are many ways for a resolve. and some are overlooked.

ALL YOUR XMLS IN THIS LINK===> tranistions and effects in alphabetical order <===All your XMLS IN THIS LINK!

thank you in advance If I never say
Top 25 Poster

Posted: 21 Jan 2006 08:56 AM
well I think I will need to look at virtual dob or whatever is being suggested here because the ease in/out is even more devious than I said above and does NOT solve the edge problem

eg lets look at edge OUT - well the algorithm says INSTANTLY edge IN by about 10% [or maybe less], then measure clip length and provide a linear edge OUT over the clip length [be it 10 seconds or 10 minutes]

that explains why the nasty edges were gradually working back at about 80% of the way into the clip [or vice verse for ease IN]

now why would anyone WANT to do that???? but assuming there IS a reason surely it would be easy to simply provide say 2%, 4% and 6% ease IN with not further smarts!!!!

as I said initially the Belkin simply allows you to zoom to your choice to get rid of edge effects so why cant DV AVI in MM2 do so?

surely if we are trying to convert analog to digital to get the best possible result [and it IS good] then why "throw the baby out with the bathwater" and be content to have analog edge artifacts

that gets back to why not just use the USB Belkin which is FAR quicker and be content with ITS artifacts [ie not as clear but nice edges]

My New APP
www.papajohn.org
Top 25 Poster
Forum Moderator

Posted: 21 Jan 2006 11:44 AM
I for one like the way the ease-in and out effects work... if your Belkin works better for you, continue using it.

I'm more into doing quick/easy stuff... and if my viewers are looking at the poor pixels at the edges... then maybe my content isn't satisfying them enough... so I'll try to up the content rather than clean the edges.

... but sometimes the edge cleaning is appropriate... I'd rather keep the DV-AVI quality all the way thru the capturing and editing, and clean the final movie over in VirtualDub by cropping and resizing, not by masking out the edge(s).

that's what's great about this computer editing... you can pick and choose a tool and do what you want easily...

Rehan is not online. Last active: 5/8/2012 5:49:17 PM Rehan
www.rehanfx.org
Top 25 Poster
Total Posts: 2176

Posted: 21 Jan 2006 03:59 PM
I am confused what you both are talking about. Could you kindly post a clip which exhibits this anamoly.

Ease In = start from full frame and slowly zoom in
Ease Out = start from zoomed in position and slowly zoom out to full frame.

In what way these do not work as expected?

www.rehanfx.org - do more with Windows Movie Maker...
rehanfx.x10hosting.com - mirror site
considerate_guy is not online. Last active: 8/7/2015 5:49:08 PM considerate_guy
movies.blainesville.com
Top 25 Poster
Forum Moderator
Total Posts: 24219

Posted: 21 Jan 2006 06:25 PM
Ease In and Ease Out are dynamic effects. When applied to a short clip you can see the motion as noted by Rehan. If you apply it to your whole movie, you'll see it start in the opposite state (say zoomed in for Ease Out and zoomed out for Ease In). This also explains why it "disappears" at the end of the movie.

-=Blaine=-

Blaine
Movie Maker (Custom Titles, Effects. etc.)Cool
WMM 6.0 on Windows 7 or 8
YouTube videos
www.rehanfx.org
Top 25 Poster

Posted: 21 Jan 2006 07:44 PM
If you wanted to use a static zoom to crop say 5% from all edges then here are a couple of custom zoom effect you can use:

<TransitionsAndEffects Version="1.0" >
<Effects>
<EffectDLL guid="{B4DC8DD9-2CC1-4081-9B2B-20D7030234EF}">
<Effect name="Crop 5% 2D" iconid="33">
<Param name="InternalName" value="Simple2D" />
<Param name="ScaleA" value="1.05" />
<Param name="Progress" value="1.0" />
</Effect>
<Effect name="Crop 5% 3D" iconid="33">
<Param name="InternalName" value="Simple3D" />
<Param name="ScaleA" value="1.05" />
<Param name="InitialScaleA" value="1.05" />
</Effect>
</EffectDLL>
</Effects>
</TransitionsAndEffects>

Copy paste the xml code into notepad and Save As crop.xml in folder C:\Program Files\Movie Maker\Shared\AddOnTFX. Create the AddOnTFX folder if necessary. Confirm the file has .xml extension by turning off the "hide extensions of known file types" from Explorer > Tools > Folder options > View. Restart WMM.

The 2D version uses an undocumented class: Simple2D which seems to have implemented a bilinear filter to overcome quality loss issue with 3D class. (Simple2D is specified in the internal xml used by WMM although the MSDN document says Simple3D).

Top 25 Poster

Posted: 21 Jan 2006 08:42 PM
what a plethora of information, firstly to PJ - is virtual dub in your tutorials or do I google somwhere? also I agree with you re people will just look at content and not edges but I guess it is different for the maker of the movie who can become obsessed with the flicker at the bottom, espec if he KNOWS there must be a way to fix it without going back to stoneage of USB

to CG - yes I can now see how ease in/out are meant to work in a short clip, virtually to do a [little] bit of zoom you forgot to do while filming

and to rehan, NOW we are cooking with gas - I suspected one can write their own scripts for effects, just like own profiles for saving so I will give that a try - using the 4% which I determined before to be the optimal setting

but when you say "a couple" my reading of the code has 2 </Effect> so are you saying I trim the code down to either or do the 2 work together ie MM2 selects the one best "suited" to it?

and thanks again to all of you - as I say I am a bit of a perfectionist old bugger and it really bugs me if I cant get something exactly right, irrespective of I know others looking at the result would never notice small impefections

My New APP
Top 25 Poster

Posted: 21 Jan 2006 11:17 PM
sorry to sound dumb but I think I have done exactly as above but the option "crop" does not show up in the list of effects [as my custom profiles did in saving options]. The file appears in the AddOnTFX dir [which I DID have to create] as a "XML Document" so all seems to be in order

I tried even downloading all the recent XP updates etc but still nothing, I tried your site rehan but still nothing [but I HAVE downloaded VirtualDub]

Is there a special trick to get to the crop.xml file?

My New APP
www.papajohn.org
Top 25 Poster
Forum Moderator

Posted: 22 Jan 2006 12:43 AM
Doc... whenever I reference software such as VirtualDub, you can assume there's a link to it on the Setup > Other Software page of my website.

... and for that utility, there's a link to my newsletter about using it...

movies.blainesville.com
Top 25 Poster
Forum Moderator

Posted: 22 Jan 2006 01:23 AM
You did restart WMM, yes?

-=Blaine=-

Blaine
YouTube videos
Top 25 Poster

Posted: 22 Jan 2006 01:29 AM
yes I did - many times - even did the whole sequence again on my laptop and same result

reading the referenced microsoft site on custom effects it says if there is any "bug" in the code MM will simply not load that effect [and not tell you]

so I went over the tutorial and [with my limited knowledge] the code seems to check out fine

I gather that it will not appear with the icons but I am doing right mouse click in timeline on clip and looking in the list there - is that correct?

My New APP
movies.blainesville.com
Top 25 Poster
Forum Moderator

Posted: 22 Jan 2006 01:37 AM
Is your Windows Movie Maker in a different directory, or different drive, or anything else unusual? I tried it and I got two new icons in the the 'Video Effects' folder for Crop 5% 2D and Crop 5% 3D. They also show in the list if you right-click...

-=Blaine=-

Blaine
YouTube videos
Top 25 Poster

Posted: 22 Jan 2006 02:21 AM
nothing unusual so I must be doing something dumb - and I notice I am STILL in the wrong forum for custom effects - sorry, still learning

lets see if I can post images

the file

the dir

thats what I have done

My New APP
movies.blainesville.com
Top 25 Poster
Forum Moderator

Posted: 22 Jan 2006 02:31 AM
Aha! You are using WordPad, not Notepad... WordPad adds extra stuff for formatting, fonts, etc. Try using the vanilla Notepad instead.

-=Blaine=-

Blaine
YouTube videos
www.rehanfx.org
Top 25 Poster

Posted: 22 Jan 2006 02:54 AM
I think the doc is looking at the wrong place...

The effects will appear with all the other effects... in the Effects page. Look for the names near the top: "Crop 5% 2d" and "Crop 5% 3D".

They do not get applied to your video in the timeline automatically. You have to manually apply them.

The two effects are funcationally equivalent so you only need to use one of them.

Top 25 Poster

Posted: 22 Jan 2006 03:14 AM
no CG was correct, or rather I was correct - I was doing something really dumb by using wordpad and not notepad

once I copy/pasted the code to notepad the whole thing works fine and the 20 minute clip I last captured @ 5 Gb is clean to the last frame - Yippppee! [so I can now save at 1.5 mbps and get some space back on HD once I delete the AVI]

You guys really are legends and thanks again - but over here in Oz the sun just passed over the yardarm [aka "beer-O'clock" - 6PM] and seeing as "man is not a camel" I will need to provide some substinance to the body to keep the mind active

Cheers

My New APP
movies.blainesville.com
Top 25 Poster
Forum Moderator

Posted: 22 Jan 2006 03:21 AM
Over here it just passed midnight, so we are finally on the same day (at least for 5+ hours)...Smiley

Glad it is working, thanks for the screenshots; that was the key to diagnosing the problem.

-=Blaine=-

Blaine
YouTube videos
Top 25 Poster

Posted: 22 Jan 2006 04:32 AM
just a bit of feedback - as anticipated the 3D version was NOT the way to go as it produces some nasty pixelation but the 2D is fine

My New APP
www.rehanfx.org
Top 25 Poster

Posted: 22 Jan 2006 05:06 PM
Good to know it worked out well for you.

Btw, a bit of a caution regarding comparing the quality difference of 3D vs 2D. You must compare the quality of the final movies saved. Rejecting or accepting an effect against another on the basis of quality difference apparant in the preview mode is not valid.

As far as I can ascertain, there is a quality difference between 3D and 2D versions in the final movie produced, but it is very subtle and does not justify a lot of criticism of 3D version (of which I myself may have been guilty of previously!).

Top 25 Poster

Posted: 22 Jan 2006 09:01 PM
OK - I WAS comparing via preview mode, in fact even the preview of the effect on the Microsoft Hill shows pixelation

is there a place at your site that basically explains 2D and 3D - or is it better NOT to know?

anyway I re-did one movie last nite as 4 x 10 minute segments of a holiday we had with kids on Rawa Island [where they made the film South Pacific] in 1987 and it finally looks really great - I must have done some 6 to 7 attempts over last 3 years to convert this Video 8 tape to a high quality CD version [ie within an HTML file so I can tell the story as well as show the clips]

My New APP
evasince1992 is not online. Last active: 7/26/2007 9:16:49 PM evasince1992
Total Posts: 3

Posted: 26 Jul 2007 04:28 PM
ya i currently have a 5% crop but for the vid im makin in need a 10%+ crop if u have 1 can i please have it!?its an emergancy!D:

frankie
Previous Thread :: Next Thread 
Goto to page:  Prev Next

Movie Maker Forums  > Windows Movie Maker  > Transitions, Effects and Titles  > Re: Ease in and out effect