[Lights, Camera, Action]

Home    Forums    Tutorials    Search    Books    Links 

Windows Movie Maker tips, tutorials, forums and more...

Windows Movie Maker Home   Search   Login   Register   Member List  
Movie Maker Users Showcase  > Share Your XP Transitions and Effects!!  > Moving split screens with black background over multi clips (ala "24"... sorta)    
Previous Thread :: Next Thread 
 Author Thread: Moving split screens with black background over multi clips (ala "24"... sorta)
tbits is not online. Last active: 8/4/2007 4:24:45 AM tbits
Total Posts: 28

Moving split screens with black background over multi clips (ala "24"... sorta)
Posted: 17 Jul 2007 04:35 AM
Hey guys, if you hadn't noticed I've been posting in the normal Transitions and Effects forum trying to get a "24" style split screen (not with the clock, just the two screens). And since noone was able to provide me with a solution, here's the method I used:

And it requires Rehan's PIP Plus plugin, available here: http://www.rehanfx.org/pipplus.htm

[watch this video by ayumilove: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W6-GhBiU9K4 - was very useful to me!]

BEFORE ALL OF IT: You MUST install Rehan's PIP Plus plugin above ^.

(1). The code:
<Transition name="tbits' 24 Effect 1" iconid="0">
<Param name="RectA" value=" 0.1, 0.55, 0.1, 0.35, 0.35;
0.5, 0.1, 0.1, 0.35, 0.35;" />
<Param name="RectB" value=" 0.1, 0.1, 0.55, 0.35, 0.35;
0.5, 0.55, 0.55, 0.35, 0.35;" />
<Param name="Background" value="#000000" />
</Transition>

<Transition name="tbits' 24 Effect 2" iconid="0">
<Param name="RectA" value=" 0.1, 0.1, 0.1, 0.35, 0.35;
0.5, 0.55, 0.1, 0.35, 0.35;" />
<Param name="RectB" value=" 0.1, 0.55, 0.55, 0.35, 0.35;
0.5, 0.1, 0.55, 0.35, 0.35;" />
<Param name="Background" value="#000000" />
</Transition>

i) This code is copied and pasted into the "pipplus" XML document found under "Program Files\Movie Maker\Shared\" in the AddOnTFX folder.

(2). For this example, there will be four video clips: {A} {B} {C} {D}

{A} & {B} have to be almost the same length, however B has to be a tiny (and I mean like, less than a second) bit longer and also {C} & {D} ({D} has to be a tiny bit shorter to make up for the tiny bit that {C} loses, unless you want to continue the effect on). This is mandatory for my method to work, which can be hard but it was just lucky that it worked out for me.

( {A}<---Longer---{B} ) <---Don't have to be same length---> ( {C}<---Shorter---{D} )

So only the pair A&B and C&D HAVE to be close equals each other not A&C, A&D, B&C or B&D (but it doesn't really matter).

(3) In time line view, drag {B} as far over as possible so it starts at the same time as {A} with the two clips now on top of each other (for help with this, see ayumi's video above ^) and a bit of the right hand side of {B} sticking out at the end. This tiny bit should be less then a second.

(4) Drag {C} over it to fill that tiny gap.

(5) Now drag {D} as far over to the left of {C} as possible or to where {B} ends. {C} must stop at the same time as {C} in the time line unless you wish to further this 24 effect over more clips.

(6) Switch to storyboard view.

(7) Place "tbits' 24 Effect 1" between {A} & {B}

(8) Make sure that the "Fade" effect is between {B} & {C}

(9) Place "tbits' 24 Effect 2" found in transitions between {C} & {D}

(10) Put both the "Fade in, from black" and "Fade out, to black" over {A}, {B}, {C} and {D}.

And there you go, you're done! Simple enough?

LOL

An easier procedure?

oldgoaly is not online. Last active: 2/3/2008 10:18:27 AM oldgoaly
Top 25 Poster
Total Posts: 1406

Re: Moving split screens with black background over multi clips (ala "24"... sorta)
Posted: 17 Jul 2007 09:08 PM
Cool! the only limit is you imagination with this stuff! thanks for sharing! tt
Previous Thread :: Next Thread 
Page 1 of 1

Movie Maker Forums  > Movie Maker Users Showcase  > Share Your XP Transitions and Effects!!  > Moving split screens with black background over multi clips (ala "24"... sorta)