[Lights, Camera, Action]

Home    Forums    Tutorials    Search    Books    Links 

Windows Movie Maker tips, tutorials, forums and more...

Windows Movie Maker Home   Search   Login   Register   Member List  
Windows Movie Maker  > Technical Support  > Re: Missing Video Codec (OXCOODOBC4)    
Previous Thread :: Next Thread 
 Author Thread: Missing Video Codec (OXCOODOBC4)
Curt is not online. Last active: 12/27/2013 1:57:13 AM Curt
Top 50 Poster
Total Posts: 868

Missing Video Codec (OXCOODOBC4)
Posted: 11 Jul 2007 05:01 PM
I have reinstalled and updated all of my XP software after doing a system recovery. Almost everything seems to be working okay. However:

1. An error message appears at random saying, "Video Codec (OXCOODOBC4) is not installed on system." (That error message appears briefly and I am not sure whether those are 0's or Os.) That has happened a number of times.

2. I just attempted to capture some VHS video from a VCR to MM using the ADS Tech "Instant VideoMPX" device. I got an "Unknown Error" mesage. Then a message that says, "The device is currently in use. Close other applications that may be using the device and try again."

Thanks for your advice.
neophyte is not online. Last active: 11/18/2017 7:54:20 AM neophyte
neos-world.is-great.org
Top 25 Poster
Forum Moderator
Total Posts: 20181

Re: Missing Video Codec (OXCOODOBC4)
Posted: 11 Jul 2007 08:54 PM
Curt,

I don't ever recall seeing that error before, so hopefully someone else will be able to help.

In the meantime, try downloading and running a free utility called Sherlock, as it will identify any broken codecs on your system.

Do you have Photo Story 3 installed? If so, try re-installing it. FYI, this is a real shot-in-the-dark on my part.

Sorry I couldn't offer anything better this time.

I hear and I forget. I see and I remember. I do and I understand. -- Confucius
Top 50 Poster

Posted: 11 Jul 2007 10:50 PM
Neo,

Thanks for your suggestions. I downloaded Sherlock. It did not find any broken codecs. That was good information. And, I now have a saved list of all of the codecs on my system. That list will no doubt be useful in the future. Very good!

I uninstalled and reinstalled Photo Story 3.

I will not know for awhile if I will get that "Codec not installed" message again because it seems to appear randomly, or at least not just when I am attempting to do some particular thing. However, I am still getting the message that another propgram is using the Instant VideoMPX device when I try to use that device to capture into Movie Maker. I sent a message to HP technical support.

Thanks for your advice. I do appreciate it.

__________________-
An off-the-wall question: Do you know of a transition that will "tilt" or "turn" a still photo just a bit? I think I had one but lost all of my transitions during the last system recovery and have not been able to find that one.
neos-world.is-great.org
Top 25 Poster
Forum Moderator

Posted: 12 Jul 2007 08:38 AM
Are the effects posted in this thread by dlk and glow what you were looking for?

One other thing you might want to try for your problem is to go to "Start > Run" and enter "sfc /scannow" (without the quotes) in the box and then click on "OK". This will repair any broken system files (this is also a long shot; but, it may be worth trying).

neos-world.is-great.org
Top 25 Poster
Forum Moderator

Posted: 12 Jul 2007 08:43 AM
Curt - glow also posted some other ones in this thread.

Top 50 Poster

Posted: 12 Jul 2007 11:47 AM
Hi Neo,

I ran ScanNow and it did not find anything to fix, but that was certainly worth trying. Thank you for suggesting it.

HP Support says that I should download the "K-lite codec pack." When I went to that web site it seemed to be saying that I needed a paying, on-going membership to download the codec pack with access to some movies thrown in. I am waiting to hear from HP about how to download just the codecs

The effects on the links that you sent were good. I especially liked the "page curl - wild" and downloaded it. But all of those effects involve motion. The one I am looking for is stationary. With it, when the photo is seen it is at a slight angle. It is as if you had a photo sitting on your desk but moved one side back a bit with no motion at all.
visible

Thanks again for your help. I'll let yopu know what I hear from HP.

neos-world.is-great.org
Top 25 Poster
Forum Moderator

Posted: 12 Jul 2007 05:06 PM
Curt - I think you're wise in holding off on installing the K-lite codec pack and waiting to hear back from HP. I always favor installing just the required codec(s) as opposed to installing a whole pack. FYI, according to an article I just read on your ADS device, it captures video in MPEG-1, WMV9 and DivX formats. You should already have the codecs for the first two and the last one would require you to install DivX (just remember MM doesn't like DivX files). You can confirm that by checking the Sherlock report you generated previously.

Have you checked for any driver updates for your ADS device? If not, I'd give that a try.

I vaguely remember seeing the other effects you mentioned and will try to track them down when I get a chance.

Top 50 Poster

Posted: 12 Jul 2007 05:54 PM
Hi Neo,

I did hear from HP, but a different technician who in effect said, "Since you do not want to down load the F-Lite codec pack, download the "WM9Codecs.exe" instead." I did that and sent back a reply saying that I am still getting the "Unknown Error" message. I just received a reply from a thirdHP technician who sent a long reply listing three pages of things to do for a problem with HP Image Zone but did not even mention the fact that the new codecs did not help. I will send him question about the codecs.

When I looked at the list of codecs generated by Sherlock, there was MPEG-1 or WMV9 listed. However, there were several MPEG and WMV's:

WMV Screen Decoder
WMV Screen Decoder DMO
WMVideo Advanced Decoder DMO
WMVideo Adavanced Encoder
MPEG Video Decoder
MPEG 4 Decodere DMO
MPEG 43 Decoder DMO
MPEG 4S Decoder DMO

Where would I get the DivX?

I will look for updates for the ADS device.

Many thanks again!
neos-world.is-great.org
Top 25 Poster
Forum Moderator

Posted: 12 Jul 2007 06:09 PM
Curt - you can download DivX here. This codec can cause problems in Movie Maker. If you run into an issue in Movie Maker after installing it, then go to "Tools > Options > Compatibility" and uncheck all the DivX filters.

I'll check to see if I can find out what codecs are included in the WMPCodecs.exe file you mentioned, if you'll post back with the download link you used. However, I'm a little surprised the technician wanted you to do that, as I would expect you probably had all the codecs included in that package already installed. Just so I know, what versions of Windows and Windows Media Player do you have installed?

Top 50 Poster

Posted: 12 Jul 2007 08:44 PM
Hi Neo,

Since DivX can cause problems with Movie Maker, I think I'll hold off on downloading it until after I get things back in proper working order. The HP technician wanted me to uninstall HP Image Zone Plus and reinstall it along with some other things. At Step 1, Image Zone was not listed in Application Recovery. So I am waiting for the next step from HP.

Here is where I downloaded the WMPCodecs.exe file:

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=06fcaab7-dcc9-466b-b0c4-04db144bb601&displaylang=en

I have Media Player 10.0.0.382. How can I find out what version of XP I have?

This seems to be getting complicated. I am getting the feeling that it is going to lead to another system. I hope not....

Thanks for helping.

neos-world.is-great.org
Top 25 Poster
Forum Moderator

Posted: 12 Jul 2007 08:56 PM
Curt - As best I can tell, all the codecs in that file should have been installed with your version of Windows Media Player. Hopefully, the latest suggestions from HP support will resolve your problem.

To find out which version of XP you have, open Movie Maker and go to the "Help" menu and click on "About Windows Movie Maker". The window that opens should list both the version of Windows and Movie Maker you have.

Top 50 Poster

Posted: 12 Jul 2007 10:32 PM
Neo,

I am glad to know that the codecs that I just installed are appropriate ones. Apparently the technician felt that one or more of them was missing even though they should have been installed with my version of Windows Media Player.

I have my fingers crossed about HP Support. My experience with them has been mixed, not all rave reviews. HP said earlier this afternoon that it was important to verify that Image Zone Plus 3.5 is listed in Application Recovery before I uninstall Image Zone Plus 3.5. When I sent my last message to HP I captitalized the word "NOT" in my message to HP be certain that it would not be misunderstood. So my message was, "Image Zone Plus 3.5" is NOT listed in Application Recovery. What should I do?"

Here is the reply: "I gather from your e-mail that the Image Zone Plus 3.5 software is
listed under the application recovery tool of the unit.... Curt, you may go ahead and uninstall the Image Zone Plus 3.5 software from the Add/Remove program."

I have my fingers crossed that it will all work out okay.

In the "About Windows Movie Maker" window it shows Version 5.1 (Build2600 xpsp_swp2 ....) I thought that applied only to Windows Movie Maker. All that I know is that I have XP Home Edition with Service Pack 2 installed.

Thanks again. It is time for you to take a break and move on to other things. I'll let you know how I make out.

neos-world.is-great.org
Top 25 Poster
Forum Moderator

Posted: 12 Jul 2007 10:50 PM
Will do; but I'll still try to see if I can find that effect you mentioned. Good luck with HP.

neos-world.is-great.org
Top 25 Poster
Forum Moderator

Posted: 13 Jul 2007 10:09 PM
Curt - did you check the xml file in the 02-21-2007 10:18 AM post by dlk in this thread to see if they're the effects you were looking for. Those are the only ones I could seem to find that I thought might be what you were looking for.

I modified these to zoom out so the rotated image would not appear to be full screen, in case that's what your were looking for. Here's the modified xml:

<TransitionsAndEffects Version="1.0">
<Effects>
<EffectDLL guid="{B4DC8DD9-2CC1-4081-9B2B-20D7030234EF}">
<Effect name="Rotation .002 - 75%" iconid="33" comment="rotate">
<Param name="InternalName" value="Simple3D" />
<Param name="RotateA" value="left" />
<Param name="progress" value="0.002" />
<Param name="ScaleA" value="0.75" />
<Param name="InitialScaleA" value="0.75" />
</Effect>
<Effect name="Rotation .004 - 75%" iconid="33" comment="rotate">
<Param name="progress" value="0.004" />
</Effect>
<Effect name="Rotation .006 - 75%" iconid="33" comment="rotate">
<Param name="progress" value="0.006" />
</Effect>
<Effect name="Rotation .25 - 75%" iconid="33" comment="rotate">
<Param name="progress" value="0.25" />
</Effect>
<Effect name="Rotation .75 - 75%" iconid="33" comment="rotate">
<Param name="progress" value="0.75" />
</Effect>
</EffectDLL>
</Effects>
</TransitionsAndEffects>

Decrease the value in these two lines if you want to zoom out further:

Top 50 Poster

Posted: 13 Jul 2007 10:41 PM
Hi Neo,

Yes, thank you, I had seen that post by dlk earlier. It was very good, but what I am looking for simply shows a still photo at a slight angle as if, for example, one side of the photo was a bit further back from the screen than the other side. No movement is shown at all. Thanks for searching for me. I appreciate that, but please don't spend any more time on it. You have lots of other people to help. The one I am looking for will turn up sooner or later.

As far as the VideoMPX device is concerned, HP ran out of suggestions. They raise the question as to whether the device itself needs to be replaced. I do not know any way to test that. ADS told me earlier that they could not provide any support for a device that they had not installed. However, when I wrote back asking how I could determine whether the device was defective, a technician wrote back asking what sort of problems I have been having. My reply to him was late this afternoon so I might not hear from him until next week. But that holds a glimmer of hope. In the meantime, no one has suggested another system recovery and I am happy about that.
neos-world.is-great.org
Top 25 Poster
Forum Moderator

Posted: 13 Jul 2007 10:59 PM
Curt - FYI, dlk's effects don't produce any movement of the image - they simply cause the image to be displayed with a fixed amount of counterclockwise rotation. If I had read your earlier post more closely, I would have seen that you were looking for ones with rotation around one of the other axes.

Hope that "glimmer of hope" turns into a fix for your problem.

Previous Thread :: Next Thread 
Goto to page:  Prev Next

Movie Maker Forums  > Windows Movie Maker  > Technical Support  > Re: Missing Video Codec (OXCOODOBC4)