|[Pinned Post] CUSTOM TRANSITIONS, EFFECTS and TITLES (Read this First!)
Posted: 11 Jul 2007 10:47 AM
|This forum category is for discussing custom transitions/effects/titles for Windows Movie Maker 6.0. WMM 6.0 is the version that comes with Windows Vista and is also often loaded by people wanting the classic version of Windows Movie Maker 6.0 on Windows 7.
If you want to discuss transitions for WMM 2.x (versions 2.1 or 2.6), you should go to the XP forums (view forum 28).
Note on XP (WMM 2.x) vs. Vista (WMM 6.0):. XML that works in WMM 6.0 will often be shown in purple. The first line of the XML should also show a version of 2.8. XML for 2.x and 6.0 are not interchangeable, so be sure you pick the one that matches your version of Windows.</i>
The XP engine is used in all 2.x version of Windows Movie Maker (through WMM 2.6)
The Vista engine is used in the 6.0 version of Windows Movie Maker. When you see reference to Vista effects, these are ones that work on WMM 6.0. Use XP effects if you have 2.6 or earlier.
How to use XML code from these forums
1) Go to C:\Program Files\Movie Maker\Shared. Create a new folder called AddOnTFX using right-click > New Folder
2) Copy and paste the XML code into Notepad (Start > All Programs > Accessories > Notepad)
3) Now save the XML into C:\Program Files\Movie Maker\Shared\AddOnTFX with a name that ends in .xml (this is an important step)
In Vista, you will likely get warnings that prevent you from saving directly in the AddOnTFX folder. If so, save in another folder (like 'Documents') then copy the file to the AddOnTFX folder in a separate step.
4) If there are any associated image files noted in the XML (.png, .gif, .bmp, etc.) you need to save those as well in the location specified in the XML file. If you later end up with a black image, recheck this step.
5) Restart Movie Maker (by closing the program and restarting it).
Sources of custom transitions, effects and titles:
- view post 126998 - Alphabetical collection of custom transitions, titles and effects for Vista
Sources of clips for overlays, backgrounds, loops, etc.:
- Neo's Clip Archive
Technical details on creating your own custom transitions and effects:
If you are familiar with XML and/or have a programming background, here is a useful MSDN link:
- Creating Custom Effects and Transitions in Windows Movie Maker (Windows Vista)
Edited XML for the standard items in WMM 6.0:
XML for titles & credits