[Lights, Camera, Action]

Home    Forums    Tutorials    Search    Books    Links 

Windows Movie Maker tips, tutorials, forums and more...

Windows Movie Maker Home   Search   Login   Register   Member List  
Windows Movie Maker  > Publishing and Saving Movies  > Save movies on powerpoint to windows movie maker    
Previous Thread :: Next Thread 
 Author Thread: Save movies on powerpoint to windows movie maker
digibogo is not online. Last active: 6/3/2007 7:41:36 AM digibogo
Total Posts: 22

Save movies on powerpoint to windows movie maker
Posted: 15 May 2007 08:15 AM
How do i Save movies on powerpoint and insert it into windows movie maker

thank you for your time
kent is not online. Last active: 12/10/2007 11:37:22 AM kent
Total Posts: 32

Re: Save movies on powerpoint to windows movie maker
Posted: 15 May 2007 09:28 AM
As Windows Movie Marker support avi, wmv, mpeg etc., you need a converter from powerpoint to video file.
For this task I recommend you to use Presentation To Video Converter.

link: http://www.geovid.com/Presentation_to_Video_Converter/
dickmr is not online. Last active: 2/22/2014 9:43:15 PM dickmr
Top 25 Poster
Total Posts: 3100

Posted: 15 May 2007 03:34 PM
Yes, there are converter programs to get your powerpoint show into a video format. The program above is a $200 one and probably does a good job at it. But I have found that lesser ones leave a lot to be desired with their choppy quality. So, what I do is use Camtasia to screen capture shows and all the titles and various effects I can achieve in powerpoint. There is another way which is free, however. You can use Windows Media Encoder to do the screen capture. It isn't as powerful as the commercial Camtasia program at $300, but it stands up pretty well, and I use it if I don't have a lot of 'action graphics' on the show, such as animations, motion paths, and so on. One little trick as to capturing the show with Windows Media Encoder is to do a test of screen location of your show first. For example, its harder for a screen capture program to do a 'full screen' capture than a smaller window....you can get the smaller window in powerpoint by holding down the 'control' key when you click on 'slide show' and then 'view show'. This will put the powerpoint window into the upper left corner of your monitor screen...and when you capture it, the approximate height and width will give you good dvd type quality. Once captured the file will import into movie maker where you can do all the editing of it that you want. Such as cutting off the ends that contain erroneous capture footage...adding full sound and so on. If you have video that you want to incorporate you can't really capture that very well in a powerpoint slide....but you could just leave that spot open and use PIP inside Movie Maker to make some 'how did you do that' kind of videos...LOL Good luck and have fun...try out the free Windows Media Encoder for capture first and if you don't like it, you can buy the Presentation to Video Converter. I'm sure it does a very good job..just that its a high price if you wouldn't be using it a lot. Here is a little vid I made a while back showing how to capture a falling title from in powerpoint...it was captured with the Media Encoder...even if is a just a small sample of a show it gives you an idea of how it works.

EncoderAndPowerpoint

Posted: 16 May 2007 06:44 AM
Thanks all
glow is not online. Last active: 11/2/2013 8:08:30 AM glow
Top 25 Poster
Total Posts: 1436

Posted: 16 May 2007 11:54 AM
G'day diskmr

Thanks for the tip about using Control key plus slide show.
I used to reduce the resolution of the screen and do a full screen capture.
Holding down the control key seems easier.

I use Firefox+Greasemonkey scripts for easier editing of forum posts, FAQs and displaying embedded images Wink
Top 25 Poster

Posted: 16 May 2007 12:03 PM
You are especially welcome. Thats because you once showed me how to save titles as a 'transparent' png by selecting all of the text boxes and right clicking to save the pic. The control key is used to do that too!! hmmmm I wonder what else that control key can do? Wow, it just made me a sandwich!! LOL

Posted: 17 May 2007 08:17 PM
umm dickmr in you "sample" you said if you had a black background you could do alll of these cool effects how did you do that?

Thanks
Top 25 Poster

Posted: 17 May 2007 09:24 PM
Here is a short/easy answer to it....it can get complex but everyone can figure out how to do some cool things. First...in powerpoint you would have a black background...the reason for that is that anything made or captured either image or video can be comped in Movie Maker. If you use the comp a add b transition it makes black transparent. Thats what you saw there. So, a good way for you to start would be to do just one slide of a powerpoint show. You make the background black.
Then...you can add animations. In fact if you can find 'animated' fonts like those I had there you can make cool looking Hollywood type titles. Also in ppt you can insert animated gifs....and you can make them 'appear'....'disappear'....'move'....and a wide number of animated spin/slide/up/down and so on. You can also do this with regular text box titles. Use 'custom animation' ....click on the object you want...then select, for example, 'entrance'....and choose how you want that to enter. Play with it a bit...and you'll also note that you can draw 'motion paths' to make your ojects and text move around...also by your own hand, or a large number of choices such as figure eights and such. You can make these animations occur with or after each other...so you are more or less putting on a show on that one slide. I once made a slide full of animated squirrels playing instruments and singing...did multiple captures and they are singing/dancing/playing right now to 'Candyman' by Christina Aguillera....ha ha ha Anyway...to start out...make it black...make a title and customize it to enter with a spin. Then next have an animated person in the middle, and have it 'appear' after the title spin. When complete, you do the 'slide show' 'view show' and capture it as we showed above. Then when you have that vid in Movie Maker you edit it down...and can comp a add b to put the whole thing over a video....like a beach, or moving stars, or fog. Play with it a while...powerpoint is a great adjunct to MM...and you have control over whatever creativity you have. Good luck and have fun. (Guess this wasn't so short huh?...LoL)

Posted: 19 May 2007 04:24 AM
What does comp a add b mean?

Posted: 19 May 2007 04:48 AM
dickmr im you smaple EncoderAndPowerpoint can plz give me a link on where you got that cool music thanks.
Top 25 Poster

Posted: 19 May 2007 09:43 AM
comp a add b is a 'transition' that you can find in the 'share your effects and transitions' category on this forum....its in the 'alphabetical' listing thread as comp a add b. Mainly you put your two clips side by side and apply the comp a add b between them, and drag the clip on the right as far as you can into the left one. Do a search on here and you'll find lots of discussions about it.

As far as getting loops of music like that, a good place for you to start is at www.flashkit.com On the upper right you will see 'sound loops' ...and also check out their selections of sound effects. Good luck and have fun!
Previous Thread :: Next Thread 
Page 1 of 1

Movie Maker Forums  > Windows Movie Maker  > Publishing and Saving Movies  > Save movies on powerpoint to windows movie maker