[Lights, Camera, Action]

Home    Forums    Tutorials    Search    Books    Links 

Windows Movie Maker tips, tutorials, forums and more...

Windows Movie Maker Home   Search   Login   Register   Member List  
Windows Movie Maker  > Feature Suggestions  > AVCHD support    
Previous Thread :: Next Thread 
 Author Thread: AVCHD support
bernhtp is not online. Last active: 1/30/2010 7:51:13 AM bernhtp
Total Posts: 21

AVCHD support
Posted: 05 May 2007 07:21 PM
I have MM via Vista Ultimate and it does not appear to have support for the AVCHD codec. AVCHD (Advanced Video Codec High Definition) already has several cameras using it from Sonya and Panasonic and has been available since last Sept, so it seems strange that MM has no support for it yet. When can we expect this as I was surprised that Microsoft brand new OS in the "Ultimate" version did not support a major new standard?

Tom
considerate_guy is not online. Last active: 7/22/2014 2:26:53 PM considerate_guy
movies.blainesville.com
Top 25 Poster
Forum Moderator
Total Posts: 23927

Re: AVCHD support
Posted: 06 May 2007 03:44 AM
What happens when you import the file into Movie Maker and try to edit?

Blaine
Movie Maker (Custom Titles, Effects. etc.)Cool
WMM 6.0 on Windows 7 or 8
YouTube videos

Posted: 12 May 2007 10:38 AM
First, in the import dialog MM does not include .m2ts (AVCHD files) in its filtered view of video files. When you change the filter to all files (*.*), it lets you select them for import but you then immediately get a dialog box that says:

"The file C:\video\5-4-2007\20070504185233.m2ts cannot be imported because the codec required to play the file is not installed on your computer. If you have already tried to download and install the codec, close and restart Windows Movie Maker, and then try to import the file again."

Again, the problem is that lack of codec support in MM for AVCHD video files. I certainly would have better understood this several months ago when AVCHD was pretty new, but not now, especially with the new Vista Ultimate edition that purports an identity as the latest and greatest in media.

BTW, I have a Sony HDR-SR1 (30GB hard disk and 1080i hidef). It's a great camera. Since its introduction last Sept, several other AVCHD camcorders from both Sony and Panasonic (the two collaborators on the AVCHD spec) have been released. AVCHD has far better compression (relative to quality) as it uses the mpeg4 codec instead of the mpeg2 codec used by HDV.

Wikipedia on AVCHD

Tom
considerate_guy is not online. Last active: 7/22/2014 2:26:53 PM considerate_guy
movies.blainesville.com
Top 25 Poster
Forum Moderator

Posted: 14 May 2007 11:39 AM
There isn't a lot of support for AVCHD yet, from what I can see. Here's an article that might help though:
Jake Ludington: How to Edit AVCHD files from Sony HDR-SR1

Blaine
YouTube videos

Posted: 15 May 2007 06:17 PM
Thanks. I previously saw this, but it's a bit too tedious for my tastes. I've been (down)-coverting the m2ts files to mpeg2 via the built-in tool (simply select any number of files and wait) and then edit with WMM. I've been considering getting one of the editors that natively support AVCHD such as Vegas 7.0e or Pinnacle, but have been hoping for support in WMM, which is simple and fits my needs otherwise.
movies.blainesville.com
Top 25 Poster
Forum Moderator

Posted: 16 May 2007 01:49 PM
I agree that native AVCHD support in WMM would be desirable. Maybe we'll see it someday in a service pack.

Blaine
YouTube videos

Posted: 16 May 2007 04:13 PM
It would be helpful if Microsoft announced their intentions here, e.g., if AVCHD support is imminent, later this year, much later, or no plans. AVCHD has enormous advantages in compression (at a given quality level) and this is important to the growing number of HDD and solid-state-memory-based camcorders, which are becoming far more desireable and common given the product direction of Sony and Panasonic. You have no idea how happy I am to be finally rid of tape.
movies.blainesville.com
Top 25 Poster
Forum Moderator

Posted: 16 May 2007 05:11 PM
I've sent an e-mail to some contacts at Microsoft regarding AVCHD... I'll post back here if they tell me anything pertinent.

Blaine
YouTube videos
movies.blainesville.com
Top 25 Poster
Forum Moderator

Posted: 17 May 2007 01:30 PM
The response back is that AVCHD is not currently supported (we knew that) but that it could be supported if a DirectShow filter was created by someone. So far it's only been discussed but there are no concrete plans.

In the meantime, the Movie Maker team is working on bug fixes to coincide with the first Vista SP.

Blaine
YouTube videos
raffip is not online. Last active: 9/2/2008 4:53:52 PM raffip
Total Posts: 4

Posted: 23 May 2007 01:51 PM
Hey guys, just wanted to let you know that if you purchase the full version of PowerDVD Deluxe, it comes with a codec for the Sony .m2ts file. I have a Sony SR1 and was able to import a video into Movie Maker and play it. The codec is pretty cool, I was even able to play these videos in Picasa

Also, the new NERO has support for these files as well, but their codec is not as good. The video was very slow and jumpy on my machine.

The PowerDVD codec seems to be a little more robust and faster but i have seen it get jumpy from time to time as well. Oh well, not much I can do before I buy a nice Dual Core system. But until then, I can deal with it. At least now I have more choices.

Hope this helps.

Posted: 25 May 2007 08:28 PM
Does the PowerDVD codec allow you to save in m2ts/avchd format?

My T7200 Core Duo 2.0ghz laptop with graphics acceleration does a good job at keeping up with the codec in the standard Sony utilities.
greenman is not online. Last active: 11/20/2007 8:44:43 PM greenman
Total Posts: 2

Posted: 19 Nov 2007 10:19 PM

I have the powerDVD codec installed - i can import and view AVCHD files.

However, when i attempt to export a WMV9 movie - it fails with no error message.

I simply get a .wmv file that is 6KB in size.

has anyone successfully edited and created a movie based on AVCHD video?

Posted: 20 Nov 2007 06:43 PM
Sorry for not replying sooner. I have since moved away from Movie Maker. There are a couple really good prodcuts out now. Pinnacle Studio Ultimate v11 and Sony Vegas 8.0. Both support editing AVCHD and .m2ts files natively from SONY HD camcorders. In testing the two products, i found that the playback on Sony Vegas was a bit jumpy. Pinnacle studio was nice and clean. Pinnacle's Ultimate costs $130 in most stores compared to Sony Vegas Pro which is about $500. Both have mostly same features. I have decided to go with Pinnacle Studio 11. Makes sure its the Ultimate Edition. I picked one up on Ebay for about $50. cant beat that.

BTW, I would also recommend not using VISTA. I get better HD playback with XP 32-bit. Hope this helps. Enjoy.

Posted: 20 Nov 2007 06:46 PM
PowedDVD codec is only for playback. Much better than Picture Motion Browser. Night and Day. But I do have an ATI Radeon 1650 w/512MB of memory and H.264 acceleration. Power DVD takes advantage of the H.264 acceleration as well.
greenman is not online. Last active: 11/20/2007 8:44:43 PM greenman
Total Posts: 2

Posted: 20 Nov 2007 08:44 PM

has anyone gotten WMM to edit and export a WMV9 video based on AVCHD source?
philg is not online. Last active: 12/31/2007 7:44:33 PM philg
Total Posts: 1

Posted: 20 Dec 2007 01:53 AM
Try downloading the VoltaicHD for PC software over at www.shedworx.com and see how you go. It allows you to convert your AVCHD footage to be edited in Movie Maker.

Posted: 29 Jan 2008 10:00 PM
The VoltaicHD software does not appeal to me because it decompresses the AVCHD video stream and then converts it to avi for import into MM. This creates an extra generation of lossy conversion in addition to any required by the editing (e.g., adding captions, etc.). Finally, I see nothing in the package that allows you to save the final result in AVCHD format, which is the optimal format for storing the video long term as well as what is necessary to record to BluRay.

I installed the Vista Ultimate 64-bit SP1 public beta on my quad-processor media system and was very disappointed that there was no AVCHD support added to the long-awaited service pack for MM. I'm frankly mystified how Microsoft can continue to ignore supporting this increasingly popular format in many camcorders from the biggest/best makers such as Sony, Canon and Panasonic. It's been almost a year and a half now since AVCHD camcorders were released. It's also strange that I see no official word from Microsoft.

While I like MM, this lack of support caused me to purchase Pinnacle Studio 11.1.
DavyoVegas is not online. Last active: 7/2/2009 3:05:24 AM DavyoVegas
Total Posts: 44

Posted: 02 Sep 2008 07:16 AM
I am new to this forum and looking at all the newer camcorders,, almost all of them seem to be AVCHD / H.254 and I am really stunned to see WMM does not support these HD / Flash formats that seem to be the most popular on all the newer camcorders.

Cant Windows sell or offer a plug-in to make MM compatible ???

Does Windows know how many people seem to jumping to Sony Vegas, Pinnacle, Ulead and all the others because they will not support AVCHD.

To this camcorder WMM new-bee it does not seem to make any sense.

Cheers
Davyo

Davyo
www.davyo.com
www.curlupndye.com

Posted: 02 Sep 2008 11:00 AM
You're right. The whole new generation of consumer HD camcorders use AVCHD, and Movie Maker's lack of support for this now-dominant standard a full two years following the release of the first models should tremendously embarrass Microsoft.

I must say that I was very surprised and disappointed when Vista Ultimate - the newest from Microsoft with its media focus - did not support my first AVCHD camcorder, the Sony HDR-SR1. At that time I expected this disappointment to be short lived because a market leader like Microsoft could never drop the ball this badly for very long. But time has since proven that Microsoft is not only not a market leader, but is not even serious about the consumer media market.

Consumers will not only jump to competing video editing/processing products like Vegas, Pinnacle, PowerDirector and Ulead, but they are beginning to abandon Windows for Apple at far higher numbers.

To answer your question, I've tried several plug-ins but all fail to provide a good solution to AVCHD support for MM. I've since moved on to other products despite liking the interface and relative simplicity of MM.

Posted: 02 Sep 2008 04:14 PM
On the Apple thing,,,,, recently I have had more than a few friends get Apple computers just for iMovie,,,,,, I am now understannding why.

Pesonaly I would rather stick with a PC and for my needs Movie Maker is fine but the support iMovie seems to offer does make me think twice about that choice.

Cheers
Davyo

Davyo
www.davyo.com
www.curlupndye.com

Posted: 02 Sep 2008 04:47 PM
Thought I would chime in again. I have actually tested the mac side, and though it is a more frielndlier interface, there are still some downsides. For one, The original .m2ts file is converted into a mac compatible file which is almost 8 times larger than the original file. This is not such a bad thing if you intend to import the clips you want and actually do something with them and then dump them. But if you just import them and keep them, then you are going to hate that option. Also, the file is now in Apples version of HD, and someone please correct me if I am wrong, but I think its only two channel stereo. This is the part that still has me hesitating to buy a mac. Although it would be so much easier for me to get my videos onto my Apple TV. Right now with my PC, its a pick pain. I do my editing in Pinnacle, save the file in high quality WMV, then use a program from imToo tha converts files into any format, and convert to mp4. Over all, each platform has its good and bad sides. It seems choosing the patform would matter on what your final outcome should be and how much time and money you have.

My 2 cents.

Posted: 03 Sep 2008 10:28 AM
You're right. The Mac iMovie does have the problem of converting everything to its intermediate form for editing. This is obviously suboptimal not only because it involves gratuitous processing and storage, but also an additionl level of lossy re-encoding. A number of editors are now coming out with "smart render" that only re-encodes those portions of the video that were actually changed (e.g., enhanced, titles, transition effects) and not just cut, joined, and/or reordered.

I think you'r also right about the stereo limitation as 5.1 supported by avchd is not supported by HDV. It's clear that iMovie needs a major rev, but at least they have basic support and in a way accessible to most people.

Posted: 28 Sep 2008 03:03 AM
So, I wonder if anyone at Mircosoft has ever read this thread ?????

Anyone from Mircosoft or anyone else care to chime in about the status of any AVCHD/H.264/MPEG4 support for Movie Maker ??????

Cheers
Davyo

Davyo
www.davyo.com
www.curlupndye.com
Android is not online. Last active: 9/1/2009 4:52:43 PM Android
forum.xda-developers.com
Total Posts: 6

Posted: 26 Aug 2009 08:32 AM
Well, I guess they did read this thread. I see the new version of Movie Maker now supports AVCHD/H.264/MPEG4.
Bucknik is not online. Last active: 9/2/2009 10:44:20 AM Bucknik
theozone.net
Total Posts: 1

Posted: 02 Sep 2009 10:37 AM
"I see the new version of Movie Maker now supports AVCHD/H.264/MPEG4."

I'm not seeing this new version. Is it available for Vista 64, or is it a Windows 7 product?
Previous Thread :: Next Thread 
Page 1 of 2Goto to page: [1], 2 Next

Movie Maker Forums  > Windows Movie Maker  > Feature Suggestions  > AVCHD support